Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23537 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What is mandatory reading before the gotham central series ?

shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By shotgunblast97

I am wondering what comics should be read before I start reading the Gotham Central series so that I can get a full appreciation for the series. I am thinking that the Batman: Turning points limited series might be a good place to start. So if you have any reccomndations where to start please tell me.

shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

kevin_mchugh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kevin_mchugh

Honestly, nothing.

However if you read Officer Down and the resulting issues where Bullock leaves the force it does really set the tone for the book. (And is a prequel of sorts to the "Unresolved Targets" story arc.)

Turning Points has NOTHING to do with Gotham Central FYI.

shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shotgunblast97

@kevin_mchugh: so there is no previous knowledge I will need to know if I want to read the gotham central series. As I have only read a small amount of batman comics such as ( Batman: Year one, A death in the family and right now I am reading the long Halloween.)

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No you dont need any prior knowledge cuz most the characters first appeared in gotham central

kevin_mchugh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kevin_mchugh

@shotgunblast97 That's it.

There are only a couple of lines which reference the events in Officer Down and Bullock leaving the force. They are nice to have read for a complete picture but WILL IN NO WAY spoil your enjoyment of the excellent Gotham Central.

Although I would recommend you check out the Rucka/Brubaker era of Batman as its amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.