Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What if Batman was ALWAYS a meta-human? Are no-powers important?

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By roadbuster

What if Bruce Wayne turned out to be meta-human all along?  Many of his feats are essentially meta-human, but as a matter of theme the creators never dared say it.  Batman can survive an extremely campy TV character, a bad string of movies, and even multiple prolonged absences... could Batman survive being super-powered? 

Let's say that upon Bruce's return they do a work up so extensive on Wayne and, in the interim of his absence, someone cracked how a particular meta-gene manifests and Bruce is found to have that gene and its manifestation which is minor and story consistent, but nonetheless a meta-power.  For example, enhanced probability field, increased baseline durability or endurance, enhanced intelligence or problem-solving, etc. 

We already accept a certain level of eugenic perfection and genetic destiny for heroes... if Batman's genes dictated that he was 4'8" or a condition like asthma or uncorrectable near-sightedness we'd struggle to believe in his accomplishments... but would declaring an outright meta-gene break his character?  Does it matter if Batman has powers at the genetic level particularly when his current genetic perfection is no less earned or willed than a meta-gene? 

Finally, what, if anything distinguishes technological powers (or gadgets) from genetic gifts in your mind? [Consider the many powers provided by the Road Home suit]

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sydpart2

I don't think it would ruin him as a character...but I think he would be much less interesting, unique, and overall much less compelling. I think Bruce Timm said it on one of the commentaries on the Arkham Asylum game best: "Because he's a man, he's every man."
    Bruce Wayne essentially has superpowers compared to a real person, but I think what makes him so intriguing is the idea that he only has them through sheer force of will. If anything I think his determination is really his superpower and everything else is derived from that

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

aint broke dont fix & what he said ^^

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

It will make him, less interestingm but still an awesome character

Reaper_bat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Reaper_bat

well i agree with   sydpart2 what makes the batman great is the fact that is a human, he can be killed with a simple gunshoot but you still see him fgthing alongside superman!!!

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By TheCrowbar

I think Batman's attraction is that even though he's the smartest most tactical man in any room, he's the underdog. Being a meta takes that out.

FunnyStuff707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FunnyStuff707
    @Reaper_bat: 
    And every once in a while kicking his a$$.
    Batman being any part meta-human just makes him completely uninteresting. He's more competent than any character in DC, or comics as a whole, and his power comes from, like Sydpart2 said, is his determination and mind.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Do you also go by the screen name "Wrath 2.0" on another site? I remember someone by that anme trying to convince everyone he had superpowers from a storyline in Confidential where he drank a potion to give him his own kind of "Super solider serum" And he could become invisible to explain his disappearing act. it was ridiculous.

Cornellana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cornellana

Probably an across-the-board enhancement, such as that of Vargas, the self-proclaimed "true" Homo Superior, of Marvel Comics. But I'm not answering the question, I'm cheating.

atom895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By atom895
    @Mainline: yes considering batman with powers just would not be batman. it takes away from  that "wow" factor he has when he pulls off something tough using only his skills.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting turn of events with dionesium.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't ruin his character but would remove some of the cool factor when he does amazing things.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooh snap, you were right?

AckRecky7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He wouldn't be that awesome to me, physical feat wise. I prefer the all natural athlete who achieved such feats through sheer determination and will to attain such skill.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AckRecky7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: I know, but I was answering this topic's question.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lhynn

To be honest batman hasnt been interesting to me for years, because he is written like a meta, especially by snyder and king.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Soulaf said:

To be honest batman hasnt been interesting to me for years, because he is written like a meta, especially by snyder and king.

No Caption Provided

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Soulaf: what about Batman and Robin N52?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.