Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What happened to Christian Bale's voice in TDK?

• 62 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

In BB it was really good, a little raspy but good. Some scenes it was perfect. What happened in TDK? Did he get throat cancer? Did he grow a new pair of balls? Or did he just forget?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

The most original thread idea in the world.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By JohnnyGat

I'm more concerned with the why he talks like that to people who already know his identity.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@JohnnyGat said:

I'm more concerned with the why he talks like that to people who already know his identity.

stupid as a bag of bricks. thanks nolan.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AtPhantom

@JohnnyGat said:

Because he identifies himself more as Batman than as Bruce Wayne. That's a staple of comicbook Batman for some time now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AtPhantom: Don't be stupid. That's no valid reason.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JohnnyGat

@AtPhantom said:

@JohnnyGat said:

Because he identifies himself more as Batman than as Bruce Wayne. That's a staple of comicbook Batman for some time now.

But this is movie Batman one that is more realistic, still silly enough but more realistic than comic books. Plus if that was the reason at least have someone like Catwoman question why he talks like that when she already knows.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was using the voice to distinguish himself from Wayne.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AtPhantom

@JohnnyGat said:

But this is movie Batman one that is more realistic, still silly enough but more realistic than comic books. Plus if that was the reason at least have someone like Catwoman question why he talks like that when she already knows.

Exactly what's unrealistic about that?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AtPhantom

@comicdude23 said:

@AtPhantom: Don't be stupid. That's no valid reason.

It's a perfectly valid reason.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JohnnyGat

@AtPhantom said:

@JohnnyGat said:

Exactly what's unrealistic about that?

That no one calls him out on it.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AtPhantom

@JohnnyGat said:

That doesn't make it less valid. Not everything needs to be spelled out for you.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JohnnyGat

@AtPhantom said:

@JohnnyGat said:

That doesn't make it less valid. Not everything needs to be spelled out for you.

I know and I don't need it to be spelled out for me, I'm just making an observation on the silliness of the act itself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AtPhantom: Bruce Wayne wanted to fight corruption, the voice was put on to be intimidating and to change his voice from Bruce Wayne. It was a tool, he may see himself more as Batman but their is no need or any logical reason for him to talk in his Batman voice to the people that know his identity. Realistically you wouldn't keep that voice on to the people that know your Batman. He may see himself more as Batman but the voice isn't a symbol, Batman is. Their is just no need to keep the voice on to those who know he's Batman.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AtPhantom

@JohnnyGat said:

I know and I don't need it to be spelled out for me, I'm just making an observation on the silliness of the act itself.

Hanging a lampshade on it wouldn't make it any more realistic or less silly.

@comicdude23 said:

@AtPhantom: Bruce Wayne wanted to fight corruption, the voice was put on to be intimidating and to change his voice from Bruce Wayne. It was a tool, he may see himself more as Batman but their is no need or any logical reason for him to talk in his Batman voice to the people that know his identity. Realistically you wouldn't keep that voice on to the people that know your Batman. He may see himself more as Batman but the voice isn't a symbol, Batman is. Their is just no need to keep the voice on to those who know he's Batman.

You know, for someone so enamored in Nolan's Batman, you often seem like you haven't even seen the damn films. He keeps the voice because he becomes Batman when he puts the mask on, and that is Batman's voice. Batman is not just a mask he can take off. Batman is who he is. It doesn't matter if they know who he is or not; When he's wearing the mask, they're talking to Batman, not Bruce 'angelvoice' Wayne.

That's something every version of Batman does. It only stands out here because people are annoyed by the voice he uses.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JohnnyGat

@AtPhantom said:

@JohnnyGat said:

Let's agree to disagree. I think it's silly you don't.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AtPhantom

@JohnnyGat said:

Let's agree to disagree. I think it's silly you don't.

That wasn't my point at all...

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CrimsonCake

There was a rumor that bale lost his voice a few times on the set of batman begins so he probably had to turn it down a bit for the dark knight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AtPhantom said:

@JohnnyGat said:

@comicdude23 said:

You know, for someone so enamored in Nolan's Batman, you often seem like you haven't even seen the damn films. He keeps the voice because he becomes Batman when he puts the mask on, and that is Batman's voice. Batman is not just a mask he can take off. Batman is who he is. It doesn't matter if they know who he is or not; When he's wearing the mask, they're talking to Batman, not Bruce 'angelvoice' Wayne.

That's something every version of Batman does. It only stands out here because people are annoyed by the voice he uses.

I've been watching them everyday for a week (don't ask why). Did you not watch the films yourself? This isn't the Comic-Book Batman. He says that Batman is a symbol to inspire others, it's not the voice it's what he does that defines him. He was using Batman to inspire to others. Batman isn't a voice, he's a symbol. This is a quote from The Dark Knight Rises ''Anyone can be a hero. Even a man who put a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended'', the voice is a tool. Bruce Wayne is Batman, the playboy is just an act. When Bruce talks about fighting corruption to his friends, why doesn't he just use the damn Batman voice then? To top it off you haven't even answered the original question.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LuigiBat

What if he used the voice at all times (even when speaking to those who knew his identity) so as to keep his identity a secret? Who knows who could be listening in or recording him, it's could be that using the alternative voice at all time is simply to ensure that no one could ever discover his real identity. Bruce Wayne is ridiculously famous, anyone who heard Bruce using his normal voice whilst suited up could easily deduce his secret identity as they'd have likely heard that voice numerous times in their day to day lives.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

It would have been a plot hole if Bale didn't do that with his voice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:

Didn't do what?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By TDK_1997

Because he doesn't want people to know that he has a girly voice.

timelord786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By timelord786

The guy dresses up as a bat and chases criminals around dark alleys ... who is to say he does not have a few problems?

gotham-nudist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gotham-nudist

Ive always liked Bale's Bat-voice. Never saw a problem in TDK. The low pitched-grumbly voice is part of the "fear" ensemble as mentioned in the comics. I also liked the terror in the Joker's voice when he's making that life-ransom video with the bat vigilante.

Joker: "look at me., LOOK AT ME!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know but their is a massive difference between BB voice and TDK. Why?

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nickzambuto

Nolan digitally altered Bale's voice during editing. Why did it take two pages for someone to point this out?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickazambuto: Why did he do that?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AtPhantom

@comicdude23 said:

I've been watching them everyday for a week (don't ask why). Did you not watch the films yourself? This isn't the Comic-Book Batman. He says that Batman is a symbol to inspire others, it's not the voice it's what he does that defines him. He was using Batman to inspire to others. Batman isn't a voice, he's a symbol. This is a quote from The Dark Knight Rises ''Anyone can be a hero. Even a man who put a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended'', the voice is a tool. Bruce Wayne is Batman, the playboy is just an act. When Bruce talks about fighting corruption to his friends, why doesn't he just use the damn Batman voice then? To top it off you haven't even answered the original question.

You're going off into ten completely unrelated questions here. Yes, batman is a symbol. That's not all it is. Yes, the voice is a tool. That's not all it is. Honestly, if you can't see how the Batman evolves from just a tool to inspire others into an integral part of Bruce's psyche, then I'm kinda doubting you've been seeing them everyday now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AtPhantom: You don't seem to get it. It's not his gadgets or his voice, it's the Batman legend that he is using to inspire others. The voice doesn't become a part of him, the gadgets doesn't it's what he does that makes him Batman. Bruce Wayne is Batman (try to get what I'm saying here), Bruce Wayne wanted to fight crime. When Bruce talks about this stuff to his friends that know he's Batman then why doesn't he just use his Batman voice? Batman and Bruce Wayne are one. I'm NOT calling Batman a tool, I'm saying his voice is. Your making this more complicated than it is. You can doubt me all you want.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Deranged Midget

@comicdude23 said:

@AtPhantom: You don't seem to get it. It's not his gadgets or his voice, it's the Batman legend that he is using to inspire others. The voice doesn't become a part of him, the gadgets doesn't it's what he does that makes him Batman. Bruce Wayne is Batman (try to get what I'm saying here), Bruce Wayne wanted to fight crime. When Bruce talks about this stuff to his friends that know he's Batman then why doesn't he just use his Batman voice? Batman and Bruce Wayne are one. I'm NOT calling Batman a tool, I'm saying his voice is. Your making this more complicated than it is. You can doubt me all you want.

Are you kidding me... It's called keeping a secret identity for a damn reason. Yes, he talks to Lucius or Selina even though they know who he is, but the public still lacks the knowledge of that. He isn't going to go around revealing his identity for the whole world to know.

And honestly, either you feel asleep throughout the entirety of the films or just know little about Batman in general. It's said at the very end of Batman Begins by Rachael:

"Your real face is the ones that criminals now fear. The man I loved... the man who vanished... he never came back at all."

Bruce's entire life revolves around being Batman, Wayne is just a facade to him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deranged Midget said:

@comicdude23 said:

Are you kidding me... It's called keeping a secret identity for a damn reason. Yes, he talks to Lucius or Selina even though they know who he is, but the public still lacks the knowledge of that. He isn't going to go around revealing his identity for the whole world to know.

And honestly, either you feel asleep throughout the entirety of the films or just know little about Batman in general. It's said at the very end of Batman Begins by Rachael:

"Your real face is the ones that criminals now fear. The man I loved... the man who vanished... he never came back at all."

Bruce's entire life revolves around being Batman, Wayne is just a facade to him.

What are you talking about? I know he does the voice to keep his identity hidden but their is no logical reason to use it in front of people that know he's Batman. Doesn't make sense. Yes, when he puts on the cowl he becomes Batman but it's not the voice that makes him Batman, it's what he does that makes him Batman. Not much more to his voice. I KNOW Bruce's life revolves around being Batman, the playboy Billionaire is just an act. The movies are different to the Comics, especially the Nolan ones. In the Comics he will be Batman for as long as he can, pretty much always. In the Movies he wanted to become a symbol to inspire others. The real Bruce Wayne is someone determined to make a difference, to stand up against corruption, ie: Batman. Go watch the movies again and compare with the Comics, their a totally different Batman.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Deranged Midget

@comicdude23 said:

What are you talking about? I know he does the voice to keep his identity hidden but their is no logical reason to use it in front of people that know he's Batman.

You just proved my point. You never know who's watching.

Yes, when he puts on the cowl he becomes Batman but it's not the voice that makes him Batman, it's what he does that makes him Batman. Not much more to his voice. I KNOW Bruce's life revolves around being Batman, the playboy Billionaire is just an act.

He uses the voice to distinguish himself. In the real world, we refer to that to as a dual personality. Bruce Wayne is obviously not an entirely sane person, hence the dressing up as a Bat and fighting crime.

The movies are different to the Comics, especially the Nolan ones. In the Comics he will be Batman for as long as he can, pretty much always. In the Movies he wanted to become a symbol to inspire others.

Not really. The films take inspiration from some of the most notable Batman comics ever written. He's heavily inspired by the comics. If you noticed, his motives changed throughout the films. In Batman Begins, he became Batman due to what happened to his parents, he had a purpose. The last two films, Nolan strayed off and it became something slightly different but still with the same aspirations. To help the people, to protect them when no one else couldn't.

The real Bruce Wayne is someone determined to make a difference, to stand up against corruption, ie: Batman. Go watch the movies again and compare with the Comics, their a totally different Batman.

And Nolan's Batman didn't want to make a difference? That was the entire purpose of Batman Begins. To stand up to those when others can't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deranged Midget: Seriously?

1. You never know who's watching??? Bruce Wayne, one of the world's richest men will have the BEST security he can buy.
    2. He uses it to make sure that regular people who DON'T know he's Batman will not figure it out. He wasn't entirely sane but he was sane enough, he had the resources to do what he did.
    3. I meant the Batman was different. In the Comics if he was in a situation against a villain and he could save them, he would. But in Batman Begins, he didn't kill Ra's, but he did let him die. Which is something I don't think the Mainstream Batman would do. That and in TDKR, he led an army of cops into their inevitable death, which is the most un-Batman thing to do.
    4. Yes he did. But the Comics Batman would always be Batman, he wouldn't give up. Nolan's Batman faked his death because he thought he had done enough and was going to pass on the cowl. The Comics Batman is obsessed with his cause, Nolan's Batman wanted to quit, and found the time to do so.

What I'm trying to get across is, in the scene where he saves Rachel from The Joker in the party in TDK, and lands on the car. He still speaks in his Batman voice, which wasn't needed. Even when he talks to Fox, he does it.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Deranged Midget

@comicdude23 said:

@Deranged Midget: Seriously?

1. You never know who's watching??? Bruce Wayne, one of the world's richest men will have the BEST security he can buy.

Right. That's why one of his personel uprooted his secret with ease. Best security indeed...

1. He uses it to make sure that regular people who DON'T know he's Batman will not figure it out. He wasn't entirely sane but he was sane enough, he had the resources to do what he did.

Your point is? He isn't the only person who lost their parents yet he's the only one insane enough to use up the majority of his money to become a Bat-man. Definitely sane.

1. I meant the Batman was different. In the Comics if he was in a situation against a villain and he could save them, he would. But in Batman Begins, he didn't kill Ra's, but he did let him die. Which is something I don't think the Mainstream Batman would do. That and in TDKR, he led an army of cops into their inevitable death, which is the most un-Batman thing to do.

Obviously there would be differences. It's needed to make it relatable and approachable by an unknowing audience. TDKR is teaming with faults and plot-holes. Leading cops to their death was one of many.

1. Yes he did. But the Comics Batman would always be Batman, he wouldn't give up. Nolan's Batman faked his death because he thought he had done enough and was going to pass on the cowl. The Comics Batman is obsessed with his cause, Nolan's Batman wanted to quit, and found the time to do so.

Nolan's Batman faked his death due to Nolan finishing off a trilogy. The films could've gone on forever and it's far easier to write a comic than it is to create a film. It's simply due to the circumstances.

What I'm trying to get across is, in the scene where he saves Rachel from The Joker in the party in TDK, and lands on the car. He still speaks in his Batman voice, which wasn't needed. Even when he talks to Fox, he does it.

It's a film, it's called playing the part, go ask Bale if it bothers you that much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deranged Midget: ...

1. He didn't find out by the voice. He looked at applied-sciences and found blueprints on the Tumbler. It had nothing to do with his voice. Even then he couldn't do anything when he found out.
    2. Yes, but what was the point of ''I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you''?. Even in the LOTS scene where he is supposed to kill the guy, he goes ''I'm no executioner'', and then proceeds to blow the building up, kill the decoy (yes, that was HIS fault) and maybe even half of the Ninja's in there. TDKR is still canon.
    3. But they also could have finished the trilogy with Batman standing over Gotham, etc. Many ways to end it. The fact is the ending is still canon to Nolanverse.
    4. It didn't bother me that much. What bothered me was how his voice sounded in comparison to what it did in BB. Just some of those scenes didn't make sense...
    ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ratman19

comic book batman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nolans batman

Avatar image for crazyflashfan11
    crazyflashfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crazyflashfan11

People say that he did that because Bruce wanted to conceal his voice. And in the bluprints for the cowl there is sound/voice enhacer/filtrator that changed his voice. Plus, it might sound more intimidating, and Batman is all about intimidation.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deranged Midget

@comicdude23 said:

1. He didn't find out by the voice. He looked at applied-sciences and found blueprints on the Tumbler. It had nothing to do with his voice. Even then he couldn't do anything when he found out.

You proved my point yet again. What kind of security is that? He can't even cover up his own tracks so a simple nobody in his company can find out what he's spending all his money on.

1. Yes, but what was the point of ''I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you''?. Even in the LOTS scene where he is supposed to kill the guy, he goes ''I'm no executioner'', and then proceeds to blow the building up, kill the decoy (yes, that was HIS fault) and maybe even half of the Ninja's in there. TDKR is still canon.

How am I supposed to decipher what Nolan's "no killing rule" meant to him for Batman? Besides Ra's, who was arguably his most dangerous villain, he never killed anyone else intentionally.

1. But they also could have finished the trilogy with Batman standing over Gotham, etc. Many ways to end it. The fact is the ending is still canon to Nolanverse.

Sure, the incredibly irritating cliffhanger of an ending is considered canon. Your point being?

1. It didn't bother me that much. What bothered me was how his voice sounded in comparison to what it did in BB. Just some of those scenes didn't make sense...

I would pay top dollar to say that it bothered you a lot. Hence the purpose of this entire thread mate.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nickzambuto

@comicdude23 said:

@nickazambuto: Why did he do that?

Why did Joel Schumacher put nipples on the bat-suit? Why did Burton have Batman kill? Why did thugs get the drop on TAS Batman? Many questions, no answers.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By Captain13

@Vance Astro said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Fact is, that employee found access to it because was in that company. He got curious. He didn't listen to Batman and figure out he was Batman, the ''you never know who's watching argument'' is silly. Your also proving my point, if he covered up his voice because he was cautious that people were listening in on him, then why didn't he cover his trails?
    2. No he wasn't. It was Bane. I'm saying that he did break it. Even in TDKR when he killed Talia and her driver.
    3. Your making it sound as if it's not canon. That calling it a plot hole will end it.
    4. This whole thread has gone off track. I created it to ask why had his voice changed, not why he covers it up.
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Deranged Midget

@comicdude23 said:

1. Fact is, that employee found access to it because was in that company. He got curious. He didn't listen to Batman and figure out he was Batman, the ''you never know who's watching argument'' is silly. Your also proving my point, if he covered up his voice because he was cautious that people were listening in on him, then why didn't he cover his trails?

You're serious? That's called being completely careless. If it weren't for the death threats on that man's life and Lucius watching over Bruce constantly, his identity would've been revealed multiple times.

1. No he wasn't. It was Bane. I'm saying that he did break it. Even in TDKR when he killed Talia and her driver.

Bane his most dangerous physical foe, but Ra's was the mastermind behind it all. He's destroyed cities, defeated Bruce in combat, and nearly brought Gotham to it's knees. Bane succeeded when Batman was 7 years out of practice.

He sent the truck over the overpass, the crash killed her, which really shouldn't have in the first place.

1. Your making it sound as if it's not canon. That calling it a plot hole will end it.

It's obviously canon to the films, and the film was an entire plot-hole in itself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deranged Midget: ....

1. Your calling him careless....if he was careless then he wouldn't have even thought people were listening in on him...
    2. But Bane was able to break Batman, turn the city into a trash-heap for like what, 5 months? Have the Government at bay, kill the Mayor, etc. He nearly had Gotham to it's knees but it wasn't that like for long, it was only towards the end. Bane had Gotham on it's knees for months. Though Talia helped, they were a duo. In fact, Joker seemingly did more damage to Gotham.
    3. ....Your kidding? HE was the one that shot the truck, their deaths were his fault. He caused it.
    4. It wasn't an entire plot hole...there were a few, which ones can you name?
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By Lvenger

When was Bale's Batman voice ever good?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger said:

When was Bale's Batman voice ever good?

In Batman Begins. Some scenes were meh but for a-lot of it he nailed it. It was quite good.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lvenger

@comicdude23: Really? Does this sound good to you?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger: That was only when he was screaming. Watch when he was talking in a conversation.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lvenger

@comicdude23: Hardly any better. Yes Bale's voice can be made out but it sounds raspy and stupid as hell. If he wanted to disguise his voice, he should have gotten one of those devices Green Arrow had in Smallville. I'm sure Bruce could have afforded it being a fellow millionaire.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.