What did Joker say in Batman #14?

#1 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

One of Joker's words is bleeped out in Batman #14. What did he say? It's six letters with an apostrophe "s" ('s). It's a really great piece of dialogue, but I don't know what he's saying!

I know it's a dumb question, but if someone could just hint at what it is I'd be grateful.

#2 Posted by CBninja (160 posts) - - Show Bio

You are a bunch of f$ck&ers.; That's the only thing I came up with that made sense.

#3 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

****ers I guess. I dont know if the apostrophe was supposed to be there, or was a random censor symbol.

#4 Posted by k4tzm4n (36482 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower: I took it as a word that also means female dog...

Staff
#5 Posted by SmashBrawler (5508 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@gotwillpower: I took it as a word that also means female dog...

Same here.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32941 posts) - - Show Bio

Sh!tbag's

#7 Posted by spinningwebs (36 posts) - - Show Bio

@JLDoom said:

****ers I guess. I dont know if the apostrophe was supposed to be there, or was a random censor symbol.

That's what got me, but I think it is F***er's.

#8 Posted by SoA (4708 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower: i think he used a word that rhymes with wussies, seeing how he also calls them phonies and cowards right after

#9 Edited by JoeEddie (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

One of Joker's words is bleeped out in Batman #14. What did he say? It's six letters with an apostrophe "s" ('s). It's a really great piece of dialogue, but I don't know what he's saying!

I know it's a dumb question, but if someone could just hint at what it is I'd be grateful.

lol. I was wondering the same thing. I have been reading Punisher MAX and I was honestly annoyed that it was censored. Completely ruined the moment for me.

#10 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

@gotwillpower said:

lol. I was wondering the same thing. I have been reading Punisher MAX and I was honestly annoyed that it was censored. Completely ruined the moment for me.

I dont think they should put profanity in a mainstream comic, especially a Batman comic

#11 Posted by SupBatz (1705 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate it when they try to make comic book characters curse by bleeping out the words - ESPECIALLY the Joker.

I don't know why but something about the Joker in particular using bleeped out profanity feels incredibly out of character.

#12 Posted by BatWatch (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably f***ers..or perhaps wankers? I do not really care much myself. It actually seems odd for Joker to curse at all.

#13 Posted by SuperJedi17 (299 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was the B word,and no not "Besties" ;) But seriously why doesn't someone tweet snyder that,then give us the answer here.Small thing i know.

#14 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

B*tche$ made the most sense, given the context.

#15 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was the F bomb, but after re-reading it, I think that maybe it was b*tches.

#16 Edited by JoeEddie (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatWatch: @BatWatch said:

It actually seems odd for Joker to curse at all.

I agree. I have read a lot of Joker stories and I have never seen him curse. There was no point to even having that dialogue. It did not advance the story and no one even knows what he said. I felt it really took away the serious tone of the book by being censored. Especially, the fact that they used so many random special characters made it even more ridiculous. Surprised Snyder didn't use the symbol for Pi since he had every other math symbol. If dialogue is going to be censored then it should not be used at all.

#17 Posted by SupBatz (1705 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

I agree. I have read a lot of Joker stories and I have never seen him curse. There was no point to even having that dialogue. It did not advance the story and no one even knows what he said. I felt it really took away the serious tone of the book by being censored. Especially, the fact that they used so many random special characters made it even more ridiculous. Surprised Snyder didn't use the symbol for Pi since he had every other math symbol. If dialogue is going to be censored then it should not be used at all.

Well said.

#18 Posted by SmashBrawler (5508 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

Then you're gonna love this:

#19 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the female dog word fits Joker's language following up to and after the censor, but it doesn't fit into the censored characters correctly. Female dog is five letters, and the censored word is six. However, the plural form of female dog adds on two more letters--"es." But if the two extra letters are "es," why would Scott censor the "e" and then put an apostrophe "s"? It would end up looking like: *****e's, and if the censored part is female dog, there is no reason for an apostrophe to be in the plural add-on part.

I'm not really an expert on this sort of thing. I think the technical term for censored language inwriting is profanitype (I looked around a little bit to find that term), but I couldn't find any rules about plurals, etc. I would assume the apostrophe is not supposed to be there when the word is uncensored. It is just to indicate that the censored letters are the non-plural form of the word, and the apostrophe is to indicate that by adding an "s" you make the word plural. This is really hard for me to explain.

#20 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

I think the female dog word fits Joker's language following up to and after the censor, but it doesn't fit into the censored characters correctly. Female dog is five letters, and the censored word is six. However, the plural form of female dog adds on two more letters--"es." But if the two extra letters are "es," why would Scott censor the "e" and then put an apostrophe "s"? It would end up looking like: *****e's, and if the censored part is female dog, there is no reason for an apostrophe to be in the plural add-on part.

I'm not really an expert on this sort of thing. I think the technical term for censored language inwriting is profanitype (I looked around a little bit to find that term), but I couldn't find any rules about plurals, etc. I would assume the apostrophe is not supposed to be there when the word is uncensored. It is just to indicate that the censored letters are the non-plural form of the word, and the apostrophe is to indicate that by adding an "s" you make the word plural. This is really hard for me to explain.

I think you're overthinking it. Though I suppose we could just ask G-Man to have Snyder clarify.

#21 Posted by Bruxae (12673 posts) - - Show Bio

I stopped for a moment thinking about it and decided to go with "sh*ts!", but reading this topic another word for kitty cat also works well, I think the F word seems too out of place in the sentence.

#22 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

@gotwillpower said:

I think you're overthinking it. Though I suppose we could just ask G-Man to have Snyder clarify.

You're probably right. I read it as female dog anyway, so I doubt it would make a huge difference if Scott clarified.

#23 Posted by BatWatch (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

I do not really want big curse words to be openly used in Batman comics, but I get your point. I do not really mind curse words being bleeped in comics, but I just do not see Joker as somebody who cruses. It's so...banal.

#24 Posted by cameron83 (6748 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: same here...but it may be f**kers

#25 Posted by cameron83 (6748 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@JoeEddie said:

so that means that what was said was false....joker has cursed before,this isn't joker from btas people...

with that said,The point of the word being censored was to keep decency,(because to be honest,there will be at least one 12 year old picking up the comic and their parents being pissed).There always is.With that said,it's kinda like you guys complaining about the guy who was interviewed last month on a superman book.You guys were saying how he was cursing constantly and you didn't like it.This book did that to protect the decency,but the point was for the dialogue to be as realistic and as dark as possible,like a batman book should be.

sorry if I am not explaining this good enough,I never was good at that

#26 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@JoeEddie said:

so that means that what was said was false....joker has cursed before,this isn't joker from btas people...

with that said,The point of the word being censored was to keep decency,(because to be honest,there will be at least one 12 year old picking up the comic and their parents being pissed).There always is.With that said,it's kinda like you guys complaining about the guy who was interviewed last month on a superman book.You guys were saying how he was cursing constantly and you didn't like it.This book did that to protect the decency,but the point was for the dialogue to be as realistic and as dark as possible,like a batman book should be.

That doesnt excuse it

Joker should never curse, thats probably the only time he has other than the recent batman issue, and you know why? Because he shouldnt!! Thats bad writing right there!!!

#27 Posted by SmashBrawler (5508 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@JoeEddie said:

You completely misinterpreted my post. I wasn't trying to say "Look guys! Joker has cursed before!", I was only trying to be funny. I'm not a fan of Joker cursing at all.

#28 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@k4tzm4n: same here...but it may be f**kers

That's what I thought.

#29 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

The amount of hilarious overthinking, holy sh*t.

#30 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

The amount of hilarious overthinking, holy sh*t.

Lol

#31 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: lmao I over-think a lot of stuff.

#32 Posted by entropy_aegis (14542 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@JoeEddie said:

It was written by Winick,far cry from a good Joker writer.

#33 Posted by entropy_aegis (14542 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a bit torn on Snyders Joker,I do like the fact that Snyder is trying to make more dangerous but that ridiculous face takes me away from the story and over exposition needs to be toned down.I dont need to be reminded of Joker's lethality,I know it.

Interesting twist on their relationship(Court Jester/King)

#34 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84653 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe its up to the individual reader to fill in the blank however they imagine the Joker's vocabulary.

#35 Posted by SmashBrawler (5508 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@JoeEddie said:

It was written by Winick,far cry from a good Joker writer.

Oh, I'm well aware of that.

#36 Posted by JoeEddie (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower:

I enjoyed your analysis

#37 Posted by BatWatch (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: This entire conversation has been rather pointless, and I get two messages each time somebody responds. You both think Joker cursing is poor writing, but he has cursed before. Can we please talk about something else now?

#38 Posted by redcordialman (9 posts) - - Show Bio

F*ckwits / sh*tc*nts.. Is what i filled the gaps. But funny this was brought up because i did double take on it.

#39 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3700 posts) - - Show Bio

The F, S, or B word. Joker is badass like that.

#40 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6204 posts) - - Show Bio

Wank*rs

#41 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Pu**ies?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.