Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Weekly Batman Series Plus Creative Changes

• 152 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    BATMAN: ETERNAL
    BATMAN: ETERNAL

The world needs more Batman, right? As one of comics most popular characters, it's no surprise when news is released that we'll be getting more. On the eve of NYCC, DC has released some big news about the Caped Crusader.

In Spring 2014, BATMAN: ETERNAL will launch as a weekly series with a number of creators involved and a story said to "alter the status quo for the Dark Knight and his hometown."

Scott Snyder will work on the series with artist Jason Fabok and a set of revolving writers including James Tynion IV, John Layman, Ray Fawkes and Tim Seeley. 2014 also marks the 75th Anniversary of Batman.

The celebration will also feature a 96-page DETECTIVE COMICS #27, on sale January 8. Creators contributing to this will include Paul Dini, Brad Meltzer, Gregg Hurwitz and Peter Tomasi along with artists such as Neal Adams, Dustin Nguyen and Francesco Francavilla.

This issue will also feature Layman and Fabok's final story, "Gothtopia" before the new DETECTIVE COMICS creative team of Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato begin their run in the Spring.

No Caption Provided

“We want to bring him closer to his roots and be more of a street-level type of hero,” Manapul said about his and Buccellato’s plans for the Dark Knight. “His superheroics will still be present, but the investigative part of Batman will be at the forefront …We've always written stories about hope, and it will be very interesting to see what comes out when we walk through the sullen streets of Gotham City.”

“Stylistically, we will use the tools in our toolbox to capture what we think the Bat-universe looks and feels like,” added Buccellato. “Gotham won't look like Central City, so you won't be seeing all the bright reds, oranges and yellows that defined Flash's world.”

There is going to be a lot going on. You can read the full story over at USA Today. 2014 is going to be a great time for Bat-fans. Unless you're concerned about the stress on your wallet.

DETECTIVE COMICS #27
    DETECTIVE COMICS #27

fallbrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fallbrigade

Looks like Lincoln March/Thomas Wayne Jr. is coming back.

I'm really excited for this. More Batman goodness is always welcome in my stash. The new Detective Comics team is gonna be great too. Can't wait!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Captain13

There are also rumors of Justice League, Superman, and Green Lantern weekly titles as well, right? Can DC support 4 weekly titles? That's a lot of creator management... And will the fans support weeklies outside of Batman again? I know Superman had a weekly title once, but are the numbers on the Superman titles from villains month a good indication of weekly status for that title? Justice League would be like 52. Was that a huge success financially? And I'm most concerned about the Green Lantern weekly idea, though some John Stewart every week would rock.

Anyway, it's great seeing Luke Fox fully accepted in the Bat-Family. Palmiotti has made him a really great character.

Shika1Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shika1Dude

where's Nightwing?

BumBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BumBurger

Nightwing isn't in the cape on the first picture im scared O_O forever evil better not see him killed D:

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DCE = Detective Comics Entertainment.

Sawcesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sawcesome

REEKRIS.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

cool, I doubt I can afford it though

fallbrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fallbrigade

Isn't Nightwing out of Gotham anyways? So in that sense it's reasonable to understand why he's not on the cover image.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolverine008

Sweet!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

You know what, this article is going to have a lot of the usual complaints about how X or Y doesn't like Batman because of all the oversaturation. I don't care. I love being a Batman fan and one of the biggest reasons is the oversaturation. The best writers, the best artists, the most attention, it's everything a fan could want. Can't wait for this.

As observations, I'm very curious about how Manapul's art on 'Tec is going to look. Buccellato hit the nail on the head when he said the art that worked for the Flash won't work for Batman.

And even though I liked the Williams/Blackman run, I'm glad Batwoman is going to be more involved with the rest of the Gotham vigilantes.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manapul's Batman look iconic--just like his Flash. Maybe Buccellato and Manapul should be on Justice League?

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool. Not going to get it. I actually refuse to pay for more than two books about the same character. Same goes for wolverine, superman and so on.

But it does look cool.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how the Bat-family color coordinates.

Batman-Yellow

BatWoman-Red

BatWing- Blue

Shika1Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: they probably can, they were able to push 128 books out during villains month, my only fear in this is that they will be awesome (definitely) and that they will be £3.99 a pop. This will cripple Batman fans!

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AWeekInGeekdom

Excited for Detective Comics, I'm not sure I'd commit myself to a weekly series but I'll try out the first few issues.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Saren

According to BC, Frank Miller will also be one of the writers on the giant-sized 'Tec #27 issue.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captain13

I'm curious about what DC will do for Wonder Woman's 75th anniversary.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Squalleon

According to BC, Frank Miller will also be one of the writers on the giant-sized 'Tec #27 issue.

He will only draw a two page spread. Snyder confirmed it, sorry :-(

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Ah. Well, there go my hopes for a return to the Goddamn Batmanverse.

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, shiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeet! Not Jason Fabok. I really didn't like the Batman annual he did with Snyder. He is basically a poor man version of David Finch.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who already gets every single bat book that features Batman, I am stoked for this!!!

Yeah, yeah, I know vote with your dollar and all that, but I just LOVE Batman and even mediocre books like Batman Dark Knight give me a good dosage of needed bafix! So, for me... there almost can not be too much Batbooks.

And... WOW! Now I get why the Booch and Manapul left Flash! They take over 'Tec! Really thrilled to see how they will do in Gotham. I loved the start of their Flash run, but I thought it lost a lot of steam, story wise. Still, looking forward to this! Manapuls dark Batman drawing up there looks awesome already and I love that they want to do a detective book in Detective Comics!

Oh! And I LOVE that Manapul gives Batman claw like fingertips! I always loved it when certain artists do that and wonder why that isn't the norm! Its so badass and scary looking.

Again... Wow. Great news all around.

Shika1Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shika1Dude

@fallbrigade: I dont think Red hood operates in Gotham, Dan Didio might have got his wish :'(

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manapul on Detective? I'm definitely going to be reading that!

Vincie_Pooh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Vincie_Pooh

Nice!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just noticed the Lincoln March Owlman in that last pic. Now him, I did not want to see more of.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kidchipotle

Mixed feelings for this. Love Batman but feel another book is taking opportunity away from a possible new up and comer book. Excited for the Detective Comics news. Batman: Eternal seems cool, will hopefully be able to afford it, but I think the name sounds dumb -- sue me!

Can't wait for more news :D

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I'm very intrigued by this news.

More Chris Burnham art in the world is always a good thing.

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about the weeklies but it'll be nice to read Detective again.

Avatar image for nightwing_beyond
    Nightwing_Beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Not gonna lie. When I didn't see Nightwing in the cape of the first image, this was my initial reaction. If I think about it too much, I go back to this but, I'm pretty sure the absence of Nightwing is just to rile fans up.... Right?.... RIGHT!?!

Loading Video...

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's where Buccelato and Manapul are going??? Damn... Now I need to drop a book to pick that up

fallbrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallbrigade: I dont think Red hood operates in Gotham, Dan Didio might have got his wish :'(

:( I still don't think they'll kill him off... maybe Dick had to retire his Nightwing persona or something. Haaa...

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what, this article is going to have a lot of the usual complaints about how X or Y doesn't like Batman because of all the oversaturation. I don't care. I love being a Batman fan and one of the biggest reasons is the oversaturation. The best writers, the best artists, the most attention, it's everything a fan could want. Can't wait for this.

As observations, I'm very curious about how Manapul's art on 'Tec is going to look. Buccellato hit the nail on the head when he said the art that worked for the Flash won't work for Batman.

And even though I liked the Williams/Blackman run, I'm glad Batwoman is going to be more involved with the rest of the Gotham vigilantes.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Francis and Brian are doing Detective Comics I'm definitely picking that up!

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently Frank Miller will be writing in Detective Comics #27 as well

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

A weekly series could be good. Probably a little expensive to follow though.

Seeing Batwoman on The Eternal and Detective Comics covers kind of bothers me though. Just makes me think this push into the Bat-Family is definitely happening soon. :/

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

@citizenbane said:

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GREAT MORE BATMAN COMICS I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is Dick Grayson in the first image? Will trade three Batwomen, four Batgirls, "Tim Drake", and the Jokers Daughter for Nightwing.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paul Dini FTW

Avatar image for turel_hash_ak_gik
    turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

'other properties? what other properties? we only have batman.'

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Sweet, Manapul and BuccellatoBuccellato on Batman sounds great

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

On the one hand, this does oversaturate the market with Batman comics and detract from other characters DC could be putting out titles of. But on the other hand, IF it's managed right between the creative teams and putting out good storylines, then this might potentially go places and be very interesting. Better than Hurtwitz' Dark Knight series at least. I don't go for weekly series myself so this won't damage my wallet but I do feel sorry for Batman fans. My major concern with this news though comes as a Superman fan. With Snyder working on two Batman series now, The Wake and bringing back American Vampire, I'm disconcerted about whether Snyder can spare the time for Superman Unchained now. He's already mentioned that he and Lee are considering passing the mantle over to another writer for Unchained. Superman needs more attention creatively than Batman IMO.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#44  Edited By Lvenger

@captain13 said:

I'm curious about what DC will do for Wonder Woman's 75th anniversary.

Is that next year?

EDIT: Never mind, just realised that it's 2016. Damn maths has foiled me again :P

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Burnham cover and Talon!! :D

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the weekly series non-canon like the others?

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

My body is ready for this...

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had been wondering when DC would decide to do more than just one book per month for certain series.

There are also rumors of Justice League, Superman, and Green Lantern weekly titles as well, right? Can DC support 4 weekly titles? That's a lot of creator management... And will the fans support weeklies outside of Batman again? I know Superman had a weekly title once, but are the numbers on the Superman titles from villains month a good indication of weekly status for that title? Justice League would be like 52. Was that a huge success financially? And I'm most concerned about the Green Lantern weekly idea, though some John Stewart every week would rock.

Anyway, it's great seeing Luke Fox fully accepted in the Bat-Family. Palmiotti has made him a really great character.

I haven't heard anything about other weekly titles. There is a Green Lantern-family book that comes out every week, but I haven't heard anything about GL going weekly or otherwise.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This is gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Stoked for Brian and Francis on Detective. Haven't read that since #2. I was worried about how the art would work but that picture right there looks awesome, I have a feeling I'm gonna love it. Plus a return to the 'detective' part of Detective Comics is welcome.

Plus, the talent in #27 sounds awesome. Dini writing? And Francavilla, Nguyen, Adams on art (plus Miller?!)

Love the sound of Eternal but my waller is totally despairing right now. I don't have enough money for most of the titles I want as it is lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.