Warner Bros. to censor Beware The Batman.

#1 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

In the wake of the recent shootings in Aurora, Colorado Warner Bros has ordered a review of their upcoming animated series "Beware the Batman". Producers of the show were asked by the Executive VP of Warner Bros. Animation-Sam Register to make a number of alterations to some designs and situations to make them less realistic. The style of gun barrels will also be changed from round to square to make them less realistic and more like ray guns. This isn't surprising considering how Warner Bros. has ordered the film Gangster Squad have a scene removed and re-shot because apparently people are unable to distinguish movies from reality all of a sudden. Hopefully they won't pull the pug on the upcoming adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns and return Batman to how he was in the Silver Age.

Source: Variety

#2 Posted by SupBatz (1893 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh. You've got that right about not being able to distinguish film from reality anymore.

#3 Posted by danhimself (22733 posts) - - Show Bio

an editor at IGN wrote a really great piece recently about how just because some people may be offended or bothered by something doesn't mean that it should be changed just for those people

#4 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Exactly. It's almost like a classic classroom round of "One guy screws up, everyone suffers"

#5 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

the show was dead anyway when they said they wont be using any of batmans villains (joker and the rest of them)

#6 Posted by The Finality (133 posts) - - Show Bio

I know. Prof. Pig and Katana as his Bat-Family? No thank you.

#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29515 posts) - - Show Bio

The killer wins.

Nice.

#8 Posted by sj_esposito (429 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh.. This is ridiculous. How long until this type of censorship reaches the comics? I mean, you know, besides Batman, Inc. already being pulled from stores.

#9 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyWalker said:

the show was dead anyway when they said they wont be using any of batmans villains (joker and the rest of them)

huh? they're be using lesser known villains not wont be using any batman villains. do you know how many batman animated series we already had? and every one of them featured the joker?

#10 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@sEsposito7 said:

Ugh.. This is ridiculous. How long until this type of censorship reaches the comics? I mean, you know, besides Batman, Inc. already being pulled from stores.

Yeah I agree. I'm like so pissed right now. Seriously how much longer will us fans be punished by that irresponsible murdering bas***d.

#11 Posted by ValendianKnight (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow...there are no words to express how stupid this is...what will this accomplish? What does stuff like this ever accomplish??

#12 Edited by MasterDetective (887 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@danhimself: Exactly. It's almost like a classic classroom round of "One guy screws up, everyone suffers"

They'r just making the guns rounder, it's not a big deal...

#13 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective said:

@Funrush said:

They'r just making the guns rounder, it's not a big deal...

Well, the thing is, it's still obvious that they're guns, making the edit useless, and pretty stupid in hindsight.

#14 Edited by The_Tree (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

The show is supposed to come out in Spring 2013, it's not like the shooting is going to be a hot topic by then. Warner Brothers is just blowing this whole situation way out of proportion, and making things harder on themselves, it's not like they did/are doing anything wrong by putting out entertainment with guns.

#15 Posted by CrimsonCake (2683 posts) - - Show Bio

@sEsposito7 said:

They pulled Batman inc. from stores?!?!

#16 Edited by The_Tree (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

@sEsposito7 said:

They pulled Batman inc. from stores?!?!

They delayed Batman Inc. #3 for a month, because of pretty much one page with a gun in it. Although it was shipped before they made the delay announcement, so a lot of stores still sold their issues of it.

#17 Posted by MasterDetective (887 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't think high of this series anyway

#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

...and the terrorist won. Nice, WB.

#19 Posted by monkeyonurback_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

to be honest....i was kinda hoping this show would fail ... >,> 
on the other hand i'm now worried about The Dark Knight Returns

#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17987 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't too fond of the visual direction they chose, but c'mon WB, you can't just give in like that.

#21 Posted by War Killer (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want to like this show and to give it a chance, but everything I keep hearing about it just makes me less and less excited for it...

#22 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@ValendianKnight said:

Oh wow...there are no words to express how stupid this is...what will this accomplish? What does stuff like this ever accomplish??

It successfully appeases overprotective parents, but that's about it

#23 Posted by fodigg (6147 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by fodigg (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@fodigg said:

This reminds me of how Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker got censored:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2541036

Is there an uncensored version of ROTJ?

Yes, there's some sort of director's cut or whatever they call it on DVD.

#26 Edited by PurpleCandy (831 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I've seen, I think they should censor the whole show

#27 Posted by Video_Martian (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh who cares, show was gonna suck anyway...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.