Voice Cast for Animated 'The Dark Knight Returns' Revealed

• 54 results
Posted by G-Man (30656 posts) - - Show Bio

When it comes to DC/Warner Bros. and animated comic movies, there's two things you can count on. It's going to be a good movie and Batman will most likely be in it. With so many great Batman stories to tell, it's shouldn't be a surprise to see one of the most important ones get the movie adapted treatment. Announced earlier this year, we will be seeing The Dark Knight Returns this Fall.

A story like this simply cannot be told in the 75-ish minute limit past DC animated movies have had. To account for this, the plans are to tell the story in two separate movies. The first will be released this Fall with Part 2 in early 2013. Waiting might be hard on us but it will guarantee a longer and more detailed movie overall.

== TEASER ==

Who will voice Batman this time around? The Hollywood Reporter got the exclusive that Peter Weller (Robocop) will star as Batman/Bruce Wayne. Ariel Wayne (Modern Family) will voice Robin/Carrie Kelly. Wade Williams (Prison Break, Deegan in Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, Black Mask in Batman: Under the Red Hood) will voice Harvey Dent/Two-Face. Michael McKean will be Dr. Wolper. And David Selby in a role that wasn't mentioned.

For those concerned at how the modern classic story will be adapted, Bruce Timm made the following statement:

Dark Knight Returns is the granddaddy of beloved comics properties that we’ve ever attempted (to adapt). There is definitely the imperative to get it right.

Timm clearly knows what they need to do.

Be sure to check out THR's exclusive images as well.

Staff
#1 Posted by capelesscrusader (103 posts) - - Show Bio

Thrilled to see that they're getting this done. One of my favorite episodes of TAS was the DKR vignette with Bruce voiced by Michael Ironsides.

That said, I still wish that they'd decided to go the route of waiting several years after Nolan's Trilogy and coming to this story for a live-action adaptation. It could well have been the Blade Runner of Comic Book Movies.

#2 Posted by airbound_dude (65 posts) - - Show Bio

THIS IS ULTIMATE BADASS!!!!!!!!!!! cannot wait for it

#3 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'll watch this

#4 Posted by Greenflashlight (183 posts) - - Show Bio

BEST NEWS EVER!!!!! but now we have to wait

#5 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

gee another batman movie............ LAME!!! really dc give us something else

#6 Posted by MrMazz (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of wish they had gotten Konroy to voice Bats for this one. Peter Weller could be interesting.

#7 Posted by TashoftheFuture (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn it! I really Wanted Kevin Conroy and all the others from TAS to come back for this one, especially seeing Mark Hamill as the Joker again.

#8 Posted by The Average Bear (2071 posts) - - Show Bio

It says Ariel Wayne voices Robin, but did you mean Ariel Winter?

@KainScion said:

They've released Green Lantern, Superman, and Justice League movies recently. It's not just Batman.

#9 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the movie fans of Batman deserves, and the one it needs right now."

Couldn't resist.

#10 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

This is gonna be awesome!

#11 Posted by TenEyedMen (211 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrMazz said:

I kind of wish they had gotten Konroy to voice Bats for this one. Peter Weller could be interesting.

I like Conroy, but his voice doesn't fit Miller's old Bat AT ALL.

#12 Posted by regrivett (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope they don't screw with the story too much.

#13 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Green Arrow and Superman appears in this or I'm going to be pissed.

#14 Posted by xanthiss (177 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he says "Drop it punk!".

Man..I'd buy that for a dollar!

#15 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8895 posts) - - Show Bio

I would buy this on DVD

#16 Edited by k4tzm4n (36433 posts) - - Show Bio

DAT CHIN

Seriously though, I have a good degree of faith in DC Animated.

Staff
#17 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11127 posts) - - Show Bio

Slightly in both awe and disbelief. I wonder which JLA movie they'll release after these two..

#18 Posted by yo_yo_fun (641 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool!

#19 Posted by feargalr (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this is good...

#20 Posted by Emperormeister734 (804 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be amazing and it will be worth the wait

#21 Posted by SlamAdams (287 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

Yea, I definitely would have liked someone else. But Peter Weller as old Batman should be really cool.

#22 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Am i the only one who hated the Dark Knight Returns?

#23 Posted by cold_fuzion (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14 said:

Am i the only one who hated the Dark Knight Returns?

Possibly, but I expect there are one or two others out there somewhere.

#24 Posted by TheNameIsWayne (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Probably in Part 2

#25 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Super ready for this later this year!!!

#26 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@cold_fuzion: really? jeez. I just think that it isn't Batman. And it totally gets Superman wrong. It makes Superman look like a republican political lap dog. Which he's not. That's my least favorite thing about it

#27 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@airbound_dude said:

THIS IS ULTIMATE BADASS!!!!!!!!!!! cannot wait for it

#28 Posted by kennybaese (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

It's interesting that they're splitting it into two different releases. Over-under on a blu-ray release of both parts edited together into one 2 1/2 hour thing? Because that would be pretty awesome.

#29 Posted by JamDamage (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW, you guys actually answered the one questiong I had in the 1st sentence. There is no way this could be made in one 75 minute part. A 2 parter is a great idea. Hope they use this idea again, but it doesn't matter tho. There's no need to ever ever ever ever even make another animated story after this one. This is the best Batman story ever told. I don't expect anyone who doesn't remember the Cold War, and Ronnie Raygun as president to really get what this story was like back then. Besides the great story it was, what it really was like when it came out. The Evil Empire, the death of Jason Todd, putting Batman ahead of Superman on the DC pound for pound list, and for a while the debate of what was the best story ever written. DKR or Watchmen. I prefer this, but most don't. This has a much better chance of being better then the watchmen movie tho. I can't wait.

#30 Posted by rasx (242 posts) - - Show Bio

best news I've heard for the week.

#31 Posted by SHAZAM117 (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh....Where's my WW3 animated movie dammit?!

#32 Posted by THEBlaqueBasterd (384 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrMazz: nahh dude.. Clint Eastwoods the ONLY choice for this one... now that'd be straight whistlin dixie..

#33 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Mmmm.... sounds nice, I hope it can convince me to (finally) read TDKR and more because is in two parts (Believe me has happened before, like in Year One I didn't wanted to read it but with the movie I told myself "I MUST read it before seeing the movie" and I loved it.... twice)

#34 Posted by MonsieurShogun (34 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

• Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
  • Justice League: Doom
  • Superman Versus The Elite

What do you mean by "something else"?

#35 Posted by pingclang (240 posts) - - Show Bio

Think they'll EVER do something other than a Batman or Superman story. Doom featured the JL which was great but I'd like to see a Green Arrow or Birds of Prey movie or how about some Nightwing if you have to have Bats in there. Still, the movies are good and I'm sure this one will be too.

#36 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

Will be looking forward to this!

#37 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio
Here dc! Take my money! Lol!
#38 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoy the DC movies. Superman Elite looks a bit weird and all, but i havent seen it yet so i wont dis it. The idea of this book being split between two movies sounds awesome to me. But I have not gotten around to reading this story yet. Looks like I got some time though. The one batman story i would love to see in animated form is The Killing Joke. When we gonna get that Bruce Tim?!?

@MonsieurShogun: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!? A great majority of the DC movies while great are focused mostly on Batman or Superman. Not all of them as there are two GL movies and a Wonder Woman movie. But Crisis on two earths focused on Batman and Luthar and Owlman mostly. Justice League Doom focused mostly on Batman too.

#39 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

is this gonna be a direct seuqle to batman yearone(dvd) or is this just going to be based off the book?

#40 Posted by Dedpool (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on the book. The only story they are adapting in two parts to keep the whole story.

#41 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Clint Eastwood as old man bats wouldve made me sh*t bricks, ron perlman did a good job in legends of the dark knight but he sounded too slick

#42 Posted by Dedpool (300 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait for this~! Voice cast sounds decent I'd add the following: I love Hamil as the Joker but he stated "Arkham City" was his last time doing the voice, and has actually stuck to it. Sadly since this is the case he probably won't be on but a very good second choice would be John Di Maggio who voiced Joker in "Under the Red Hood" and I think his version would be great and even creepier. I would Use Kevin Greivoux (Raze from "Underworld") as The Mutant Leader And a friend mentioned Stacy Keach as Old Ollie.

#43 Posted by The Finality (133 posts) - - Show Bio

They better put in the fight between Bats and Supes

#44 Posted by Darkmount1 (1269 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Freakin' Robocop is Batman. I don't believe it.

#45 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite NOT being a Batman fan, this movie(s) actually look pretty good.

Flashpoint and The Killing Joke up next...

#46 Posted by edtie97 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to make a blackest night and flashpoint movie next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#47 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they only adapt Dark Knight Returns and keep away as long as possible from Strikes Again...

#48 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Robocop Batman! Ohhh yeah!

#49 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (921 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is DC changing up the animation or style of the characters?? i love the JL doom designs and their limbs looked normal. NAO they make big chins for Batman and superman, and even the GL animated series, has Hal with a massive chin!!! lol imagine wonder woman with a big chin =D

#50 Posted by The Lobster (1485 posts) - - Show Bio
@Baberaham_Lincoln said:

Why is DC changing up the animation or style of the characters?? i love the JL doom designs and their limbs looked normal. NAO they make big chins for Batman and superman, and even the GL animated series, has Hal with a massive chin!!! lol imagine wonder woman with a big chin =D

They base the character designs off of the actual artwork from whatever comic book they're adapting into animated form. Which is why it changes each movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.