Villains that actually fight?

#1 Edited by tmsods (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always felt that Batman villains shouldn't just stand there with their plans ruined while batman finishes them off, I like it when they fight back and actually manage to land a couple hits or something.

so can anyone please point out a story or something in which the following villains actually fight batman or at least a bunch of people:

-Two-Face

-The Joker (the batman wiki says that he once managed to defeat him in combat without cheating)

-The Scarecrow (read in a couple places that he has some fighting style of his own)

-The Riddler

-The Penguin

Thanks for your help!

BTW

in the case of the penguin, two face and the riddler I would actually consider a skirmish pretty cool too, it doesn't have to be in any recent comics either, old over the top ones are just as good in this case.

#2 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Um Bane. He broke Batman's back.

#3 Posted by The Stegman (25056 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if you count "the Batman" cartoon..all of them some how knew kung fu

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24940 posts) - - Show Bio

Clayface, Killer Croc, KGBeast, Owl man, Catman, Ra's Al Ghul (when he has to), Bane, Man Bat, just to name a few

#5 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7990 posts) - - Show Bio

He's asking for a certain Batman story that features the listed villains actually fighting Batman, instead of 'accepting defeat'.

#6 Posted by Icarusflies (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

Two-Face---In Face the Face, he's actually trained by Batman

-The Scarecrow--Batman/Scarecrow: Year One is the main thing. I don't remember the exact other ones.

#7 Posted by tmsods (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

He's asking for a certain Batman story that features the listed villains actually fighting Batman, instead of 'accepting defeat'.

exactly, I they're all pretty cool characters but I do just feel that they should do more than just plot and run away and get beat up.

#8 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane, Two-Face, Ras Al Ghul, others...

#9 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow has his own fighting style called "violent dancing"

#10 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

Didn't he just use that once in Knightfall and then never again?

#11 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@primepower53 said:

Didn't he just use that once in Knightfall and then never again?

I've only SEEN it in Knightfall, but IDK if he did it again or not....

#12 Edited by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody mentioned Victor?

Zsasz is an increcibly difficult opponent to fight, he is infamous for his natural ability.

The man is a born predator and just gifted at hurting people.

Also Black Mask, a brutal fighter who is incredibly hard to put down simply because he can take pain "any amount of it!" and is expertly versed in the art of inflicting it too.

I'd also make the case for Two Face, Harvey was a pretty tough guy even before he became Two Face, with the added drive of his psychosis behind him he's been shown many times to be a formidable brawler (not to mention he's actually had Bat-training).

I know OP wants examples featuring the villains he listed, but that's kinda rigging the game because those particular guys generally don't operate that way.

But Bane, Croc and plenty of others do.

It's kinda like saying why isn't a Mini Cooper as fast as a Ferrari?

They're both cars, they both get you from A to B but they do it in different ways.

Some Batman villains are dangerous because of their raw power (croc for example) and some are dangerous because of their minds... Riddler for example.

Some are both... Bane.

It's the diversity of threats that Batman villains present that makes them interesting for us to read and challenging for Batman to combat.

#13 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

Kite Man 
 The Penny Plunderer        
#14 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@tmsods said:

-The Joker (the batman wiki says that he once managed to defeat him in combat without cheating)

Joker beat him in a legit fight? When was this?

#15 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost everyone from 2004 - 2008 'The Batman' cartoon lol.

Ra'as, Bane, and Killer Croc are the two that immediately come to mind. There's Solomon Grundy as well. Red Hood, during the period just before Flashpoint where he was more of a villain than an anti-hero, could probably keep up with him to a degree too.

I keep hearing that Mr Zsasz is an extremely dangerous H2H combatant, but I don't think I've ever read anything with him getting much pagetime...

#16 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Well if you count "the Batman" cartoon..all of them some how knew kung fu

It makes sense since unlike the Bruce Timm animated series back in the 90's those guys in "The Batman" cartoons don't use guns so they might as well learn to fight.

#17 Posted by tmsods (9 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan said:

I keep hearing that Mr Zsasz is an extremely dangerous H2H combatant, but I don't think I've ever read anything with him getting much pagetime...

I can't remember any really good examples either tbh, I think it's more a case of it just being an accepted fact we're told by characters from time to time.

I do remember him getting the drop on an exhausted Bruce in Knightfall (which is impressive even if Batman is exhausted) and I remember him holding his own against a combo of Damian Wayne and Abuse (although ultimately getting royally pwnd by Damian).

...and I dimly remember everyone having kittens when Leslie Thompkins had him on a gurney in her makeshift clinic during No Mans Land (and when he woke up he had a few slick moves going on).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.