Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Unscripted Review: Batman - The Return of Bruce Wayne #3

satanmode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By satanmode

Pirate-Batman : arrrg-matey!!

ILuvMsMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ILuvMsMarvel

I wasn't really impressed with this one. It was too much a typical pirate story and not enough Bats story.

Sentinel of Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Sentinel of Magic

I really wish the pirate batman on the cover was in the book.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I'm enjoying this series, I'm glad to see Bruce back (well, ya know what I mean) and seeing the JLA and Dick and Damian in the present trying to figure out what to do. I will be honest, I haven't been really getting into these past three issues as much as I want to, but the end of the issue and how it leads into the next really has me excited! :D

Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Bobby X

My favorite era is next...can't wait!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5eb002c4cfd0e
    deactivated-5eb002c4cfd0e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

we wait for your review n all we get is a 4 minute vid...what  happened to the 10-15 minute ones man ?
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By goldenkey

still don't think they should have killed him.  Pirate Batman?  come on, just lame.  sooooo stupid I don't care how good the story is. 
    Amircat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Amircat

This was awesome!!! 5/5!

SoftCoreDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SoftCoreDave

Just read this and have to agree it's best one so far, finally feels like it starting to move.

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Blackestnight1

I'm actually related to Edward Thacth the real Black Beard (who Batman is a displaying).

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Wow, Babs loved a comic with Bruce Wayne in it. Just let me pick my jaw up off the floor over that shocker. ;)

I noticed when I first started this video that it was about 5 minutes long. I thought that was kind of odd. This is a return of Bruce comic and so little was said. It's funny how that's even referenced in the video.

Finally, Batrman is being written as a detective. This looks pretty cool, but I'll wait for a trade version of these books together.

Robrat93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Robrat93

just wondering if when Bruce does return his actions in the past will have affected the present he returns to? if that makes sense

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnny_spam

I thought I would not be interested in this one but it was the best issue so far we saw Bruce in some cool Batman-esque action while it's apparent his return is a big deal to the DC Universe and some bits of Final Crisis were touched on.

DCGal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DCGal

Does that make Robin like, Batman's little parrot?
    darth bul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By darth bul

it was ok
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By MrDirector786

It is pretty much true that I can't say much about something I like but can say a lot about something I don't like, not all the time though.

humanstruggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By humanstruggle

This story concept is super lame.  
    Lets throw Batman through all of these stereotypical character types. 
    LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEE 
    Oh and Babs loves it... SUPER SHOCKER. 
    lamers 
    lamelamelamelamelamelame

TwistedBishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwistedBishop

Wait...in RoBW #2, Superman jumps to the conclusion, for no discernible reason, that Darkseid boobytrapped Batman to somehow destroy the universe, and now Wonder Woman comes to the same exact conclusion whilst operating on even LESS information than Superman?  

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By Comiclove5

I loved this issue but grant morrison's writing is not for everyone.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By doordoor123

Im not gunna lie. I fell asleep twice reading this issue.
    I reread it the next day. 
    But for some reason im SO confused. Maybe im not thinking too hard about the past?
    Im really not thinking about the connections. Perhaps i need to reread.

symphonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By symphonix

I'm liking how the pace of the story is picking up and hope it continues.  Second half of the issue was the best part of the series so far and I am looking forward to the next one.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By ComicCrazy

LOL "try to watch out."

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By sora_thekey

I should pick this up! I haven't so shame on me!

Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Big

Although I haven't been crazy about this mini-series, I do like that Bruce is starting to come to terms with who he is while rediscovering his identity. My main problem with this series, which I know that Tony and Babs have discussed, is that Morrison doesn't place Bruce in each period for longer stretches of time. It would be great to see Batman live out more of these periods. I think that Morrison is trying to keep Batman relatively ageless compared to when he left. If Bruce spent at least 6 months of his life in each period, and there were 5 periods, he would have aged by at least 15 years! He'd be pushing 50 by the time he came back to the present!  

This issue was o.k. I'm not exactly sure which ideas are being tied up here. Morrison continues to open up more loose ends than tie them up. The moments at the end of the book with Jack Valor and his visit to Gotham, what was that about? Also, Damian and Dick visiting the scene of Batman's captivity under Darkseid left me more confused than informed about the situation. The more interesting part of this whole saga will be when Bruce is back and everyone has to deal with his return. Unless, of course, Bruce returns just when he leaves in the present, like Marty McFly did in "Back to the Future," and all is well again, and Dick never became Batman, and Damian never Robin, and lame!
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By the_fallen11

I wish dick and damian would stay batman and robin. that will not happen after bruce comes back..*sighs*
    JoshuaForde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JoshuaForde
    @humanstruggle:  Hey kid next time try reading the comic first before bashing it and others who like it with your rather intelligent and mature comments.
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kennybaese
    @Robrat93 said:
    " just wondering if when Bruce does return his actions in the past will have affected the present he returns to? if that makes sense "
    I read an interview with Grant Morrison about that same issue before the issue of Return started hitting shelves and the way he said it it was just going to be like this stuff was just always there. Like the caves are just part of the caves they've never been in, that kind of thing. Kind of weird to think that none of them had ever stumbled across that stuff over all that time, but at the same time, none of them were looking for it either... Anyway, in spite of the issues with the whole time travel thing, I do think it's probably the easiest way to think about it. 
    baker1skter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By baker1skter
    @humanstruggle:  seriously why are you even on this site?

anyways, i loved this issue! this series is really starting to heat up! i cant wait for the last 3!
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By MrDirector786

Apparently, he's going to be a cowboy next.

RomaTotti10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RomaTotti10

I totally agree with G-Man 4/5.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#31  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @the_fallen11 said:
    " I wish dick and damian would stay batman and robin. that will not happen after bruce comes back..*sighs* "
    There's the tiny chance he could come back and allow Dick to stay Batman for a bit, sort of like Steve is doing with letting Bucky be Captain America. It's doubtful but you never know.
    Avatar image for theeverlovinthing
    TheEverLovinThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_@ Wish I could read these...

milou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By milou

this would be a better review if g-man ever finished a sentence. or had more to say than "i don't know." babs i like, but nothing should get a 5/5 unless it was actually perfect, which never happens. 

dr.x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By dr.x
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Big: @Big said:
    " Although I haven't been crazy about this mini-series, I do like that Bruce is starting to come to terms with who he is while rediscovering his identity. My main problem with this series, which I know that Tony and Babs have discussed, is that Morrison doesn't place Bruce in each period for longer stretches of time. It would be great to see Batman live out more of these periods. I think that Morrison is trying to keep Batman relatively ageless compared to when he left. If Bruce spent at least 6 months of his life in each period, and there were 5 periods, he would have aged by at least 15 years! He'd be pushing 50 by the time he came back to the present!    This issue was o.k. I'm not exactly sure which ideas are being tied up here. Morrison continues to open up more loose ends than tie them up. The moments at the end of the book with Jack Valor and his visit to Gotham, what was that about? Also, Damian and Dick visiting the scene of Batman's captivity under Darkseid left me more confused than informed about the situation. The more interesting part of this whole saga will be when Bruce is back and everyone has to deal with his return. Unless, of course, Bruce returns just when he leaves in the present, like Marty McFly did in "Back to the Future," and all is well again, and Dick never became Batman, and Damian never Robin, and lame! "

The answers discovered in this issue was revealing why there was a Bat-sculpture in the batcave in Batman and Robin #12. In that same issue they also discovered the costume Bruce wore when he first came to the prehistoric time with holes in it's cowl when Dick and Damian went to the remains of Bludhaven they discovered the device that was being used to make the Batclones that had needles that drew DNA from Bruce's head confirming to them that it was the same costume Bruce wore in Final Crisis confirming that Bruce is trapped in time.  The visit to Gotham at the end might  be his story being collected in the Batbook Bruce carried in Return of Bruce Wayne issue 2 and the same book Bruce was holding in a painting in Batman and Robin issue 10.

The issue also ends around the year one of Bruce's ancestors was called a satanist and that leaves the door open to Bruce encountering his ancestor and maybe some revelations to Doctor Hurt who has been called The Devil.
    ClarenceDass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ClarenceDass

I loved this book. I wasn't very impressed with the first book of the series, but after reading issue 2 and now 3, I can totally see where Morrison is going with this.

Return of Bruce Wayne is looking more like a huge piece of art that you need to get all the pieces for before you see it for what it really is, and that's what kind of dis-jointing about it. When Issue 6 finally comes out, and you read the series as a whole, it will make a lot more sense I think.

But it's cool watching Bruce carve a sort of 'Bat legacy' through time. That's where the bat people come in, because of what happened with Bruce in the "Cave-Batman" era.

mistrx75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mistrx75

I think I need to read this again because I didn't quite figure out what was happening at the end.

Avatar image for freddy_mercurial
    Freddy.Mercurial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Freddy.Mercurial

ummm...  Did we just get a review where Babs gave a comic a PERFECT score & had no particular reasons as to why?  & did G-man give it a 3.5 with nothing more than inconclusive ramblings to support it?   think we need to spice up these Reviews people!

I TOTALLY think Bruce will allow Dick to be Batman for a while upon his return...  DC & MARVEL always mirror each other... 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39  Edited By jakob187

So if I want answers to stuff from Batman & Robin, I have to be reading these also? 

Grreeeeeeeat.  I haven't been interested in this series at all, but that could also be because I don't want Bruce to come back and take over as Batman. 

I think I'll go ahead and dump the dough for these three issues, solely because I'm running out of stuff to read.  I'm actually kind of catching up to the present in comics!  lol

teewillis1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By teewillis1981

Right on Babs! This is issue is definitely a 5 out of 5. I was entertained all the way through. Grant Morrison really lit a fire under this issue, wonderful story-telling and art to match.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.