Too many Batman titles?

#1 Posted by LFCMANIA (79 posts) - - Show Bio

Without a shadow of a doubt, i personally think the number of batman titles out right now is outrageous. In my opinion, there is no need for all these titles. There should be the BATMAN series and the Batman & Robin series and thats it. What do you think?
#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

We have seen in the past that overexposure leads to bland titles at times. 
But as long as the stories are good...*shrug*

#3 Posted by LFCMANIA (79 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats the thing. I dont think all stories are good. Only the majority are.
#4 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

meh.

#5 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

don't forget that their will be 11 titles in the DCnU that will be based around various Bat-related characters and in Gotham, but i think only 4 will actually deal with Batman himself, but that dosen't mean that storys won't bleed over into each other

#6 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman sells. People have supported multiple Batman titles for a while, and that's why DC continues to publish them. That being said, yes, there are way too many Batman-family titles.
#7 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I get just about all the Bat-related titles and I enjoy all of them. No complaints here.

#8 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm kinda getting really sick of all of Batman's exposure... 

#9 Posted by The Stegman (23752 posts) - - Show Bio
@LFCMANIA: to me, Batman is to Dc what X men are to Marvel, they BOTH have countless titles out, however most are pretty interesting, and without them, their respective companies wouldn't be nearly as interesting, i mean just look how many x titles are out 

uncanny x men 
astonishing x men 
x factor 
x force 
wolverine 
generation Hope 
New Mutants 
x men legacy 

the companies are just banking on what's popular 
#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

At this rate eventually Marvel and DC are just going to become massive series of Batman and Wolverine stories where sometimes other characters might show if we're lucky

#11 Posted by Samimista (20647 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Comics like any other company cares about the money they know Batman is popular so they make more Batman titles. Personally though, I'm a major Batman fan and love each of the Batman related books.

#12 Posted by entropy_aegis (15061 posts) - - Show Bio

I've mentioned this before Batman has had atleast 2 titles alongside Batman and TEC with him for over 2 decades.Though i do feel that David Finch's book is unneccessary.@Dracade102 said:

I'm kinda getting really sick of all of Batman's exposure... 
It's not like others characters are getting shunted because of Batman,GL got his chance with the movie and a  crossover (GL war) and this is before i mention SCW,Blackest night etc, Flash is getting one in Flashpoint.WW and Supes have been plagued by their own issues which have nothing to do with Batman. 
Either way Batman is'nt shunting anyone,DC characters like Booster Gold,Blue Beetle etc have never been more popular.Why do people keep hoping almost every character in DC to have Batman level treatment.It won't HAPPEN, DEAL WITH IT. 
#13 Posted by Rudyftw (987 posts) - - Show Bio

People want different things.... I for one can't wait for Red Hood and The Outlaws. 

#14 Edited by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as the stories are good, I'm fine. It's not like DC's making you buy them, and it's not like DC doesn't have plenty of other books to read.

#15 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of agree and disagree. I can see that for a Batman-fan and avid DC reader this should not present itself as a major problem.
But I myself started out reading mostly Marvel titles ( Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc. ) and about a year ago bought my first Batman issues as well. When The Dark Knight launched I hopped onto that series as well for a second title. But there is no way I could ever buy all or even most of those titles, in combination with others.

For example at the relaunch I'd really like to get into the new JLA book. But I can't, since I'm already forced to chose which of the Bat-titles to follow. Deathstroke seems cool too, as do many other titles. But I simply don't have enough money to combine all these things. Basically: there are so many Batman titles, that a reader does not have enough money left to actually try out something else that might be interesting to them.
 Think about it: how many people are going to follow or already following so many of the Bat-titles that they only have enough money to buy perhaps 1 or 2 other titles? Whereas if DC would cut back on a few Bat-titles, people might be tempted to try out JLA, or Suicide Squad, or anything else for that matter. Thus rendering those series a bit more popularity.

So in that way, yes the large amount of Bat-titles are in fact pushing down other titles a bit. You can say that if a person where actually very interested, they'd drop a Bat-title and go with the other. But the simple fact is that most people know Batman from the start. It's familiar to them, and this other series is not. It's a big unknown. So they'll stick with buying the Bat-titles.

#16 Posted by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio

Its nothing new, comic companies  publish material the fans will buy. While I agree the are far too many titles with Batman in it, it is 
the fault of the fans who buy it all. The problem with this aside for the over-saturation of one character, editors and publishers see this
and assign good creative teams to these additional titles. While that is all well and good, other titles suffer because they don't 
get the good or hot creative teams and quality of those titles doesn't measure up.

#17 Posted by RisingBean (3806 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why I didn't buy DC as a kid. I could read about Batman or Superman in their four interconnecting comics per month or I could read about a number of various comic characters.
#18 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is the bread and butter of DC comics.

#19 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really have a problem with all the batman and batman related titles being introduced in the relaunch.. as long as batman doesn't become a prominent feature in books like batwoman or batgirl. Because if he does that just defeats the purpose of those titles and they could just feature in either batman or batman and robin. I am interested in Detective Comics because its become linked with batman but could be used to feature other characters as well. After all it wasn't just batman's comic when it originally launched. Just think of the possibilities.

#20 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1393 posts) - - Show Bio

im facing a predicament,cuz im a diehard superman fan nd batmans a close second favourite so im gettin all the super titles and JLA , but only have money enough for two more where i really want some batman,so i was thinking,im ok with not buying nightwing n batgirl n stuff so i narrowed it down to Batman,detective comics and batman and robin so which two shld i get?!?! 

#21 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm thinking they should cut the batman and robin comic and the batman the dark knight comic. Oh and batwing (don't get me started on that). I'm ok with detective and the batman book but it really should just stay with that as far as I'm concerned. The spinoff stuff like nightwing catwoman and birds of prey I'm ok with since bats only shows up every once and a while

#22 Posted by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree. The Dark Knight, while I'll buy it, is unnecessary. It's also ridiculous that series like Birds of Prey, Sirens, and Bat Wing are coming out when Tim Drake does not even have his own series.
#23 Posted by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio
@UltimateSMfan: Batman and Batman & Robin. They're both going to be 10x better than Detective Comics.
#24 Posted by scarlettexashes (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I've no complaints about the amount of Bat titles- Im one of the readers that pick up MULTIPLE Bat related reads, and I have enjoyed a majority of them.  

Batman has gotten to that point where it isnt necessarily about Bruce anymore. Bruce's vigilante history isnt just HIS, but shared with a multitude of people; and readers have come to care and enjoy many people associated with the Bat. And DC sees big ol' dollar signs because of that. As long as DC gives me a decent story line and Im engaged I will continue to buy the several different Bat titles.  

If you dont like the character, dont read their comic. Nobody says you HAVE to buy all the titles- read what you want to read, the quality of one comic's story isnt going to directly effect another's. And again, if DC isnt seeing sales in a certain title we all know its going to get dropped.

#25 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

Way too many. Same with Spider-Man. And the problem becomes that at some point, all the stories have been told. We have great stuff going on in one book but the other 18 are crap. I understand from a sales perspective the company wants to milk the golden goose as long as it can, but at some point the eggs go sour. I can understand multiple books based in Gotham as it's supposed to be bigger than NYC, but they don't all have to have Batman as the central character. Still, no one makes you buy them all and I certainly don't.

#26 Posted by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio
@LFCMANIA said:

Without a shadow of a doubt, i personally think the number of batman titles out right now is outrageous. In my opinion, there is no need for all these titles. There should be the BATMAN series and the Batman & Robin series and thats it. What do you think?

You NEED Detetive Comics though. I mean, it's the series DC is named after! Detective Comics could focus on Tim Drake insead though.

@UltimateSMfan: 
Get Batman and Batman & Robin
#27 Posted by tbone1225 (234 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read them all, so I can't comment specifics, but I know that the reason there have been more than one Batman title in the past is because it will sell.

#28 Posted by redwingx (741 posts) - - Show Bio

Way to many Batman titles. Other characters such as Wally West deserves some love to.:)

#29 Posted by atfl4sh (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read any dc comics so i want to take the plunge with the new 52 batman.  If you all had to recommend one of the Bat-Books, which one would it be?

#30 Posted by BatmanFromBeyond (8 posts) - - Show Bio
@atfl4sh: Simple:Batman
Then Batman and Robin could be a second choice
#31 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3722 posts) - - Show Bio

There should be Batman and Detective comics (and in both there would be Robin). There also shouldn`t be too many Green Lantern-comics, Spiderman-comics... I think that there shouldn`t be so many mags, so that there still will be forests. I guess that there will be though. Oh, and almost none of the comic-characters should go to comicbook limbo for years in a row.    
Uh...I guess I got carried away.

#32 Edited by Delcar (104 posts) - - Show Bio

now they gonna make a Damian Wayne Son of the batman comic, and Harley spinoff, I agree with you, DC comics should change his name to Batman Comics

#33 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@LFCMANIA

: to me, Batman is to Dc what X men are to Marvel, they BOTH have countless titles out, however most are pretty interesting, and without them, their respective companies wouldn't be nearly as interesting, i mean just look how many x titles are out

uncanny x men

astonishing x men

x factor

x force

wolverine

generation Hope

New Mutants

x men legacy

the companies are just banking on what's popular

QFT!

I wholeheartedly agree. Too many batman titles, too many x-men, too many wolverine.

#34 Edited by Jayc1324 (11034 posts) - - Show Bio

Dont you guys realize that he makes the most money? Thats why he has so many. Also, the amount of batman comics doesnt affect you. If you don't like it dont buy them, and move on wih your life.

#35 Posted by Omnicrono (1709 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Dont you guys realize that he makes the most money? Thats why he has so many. Also, the amount of batman comics doesnt affect you. If you don't like it dont buy them, and move on wih your life.

#36 Posted by Wolverine08 (40569 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

#37 Edited by RustyRoy (11858 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono said:

@jayc1324 said:

#38 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16250 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@wolverine08 said:

@omnicrono said:

@jayc1324 said:

This. And I would add: if you want more comics of your favorite character, introduce that character to as many people as possible and get him more popular so he/she will have more sales.

Just the other day I got my brother to start reading Aquaman! =D

#39 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I feel that there should only be five Bat-titles that focus are the key characters in the Bat-Universe.

• Batman - Main Bat-title, focuses on Batman and is the vocal point of all Bat-titles.
  • Detective Comics - Focuses on James Gordon and the GCPD, giving us a glimpse at Gotham from the eyes of ordinary citizens
  • Batman and Robin - I would really prefer this series focus more on Robin and having Batman as more of a supporting character
  • Nightwing - Focusing on Dick Grayson
  • Batgirl - Focuses on Barbara Gordon
#40 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

You are right at 90%. I just don't like it when they use a gimmick of making a big arc that forces you to buy all the other titles adjacent to the one you like. As they did in H'El on Earth of Death of the Family. Actually the last one could be read by only reading Batman, but at that time I didn't know that and I had to buy Detective, Dark Knight etc.

But in general you are right. If they kept it so you could only read the books you like, I would never complain about that. In fact, I rarely complain. This thread was about an opinion on the matter and I would prefer it if they had less books for Batman. But I understand why there are so many.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.