Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Tony Daniel Talks BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL, BATMAN Day, and His Run on Deathstroke

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Robin is about to turn 75. As announced at San Diego Comic-Con, to celebrate Robin, a follow up to BATMAN ETERNAL is coming except with a slight change in the title. This tie it'll be called BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL.

The new weekly series begins on October 7 except on Batman Day, Septeber 26, we'll see a free eight-page BATMAN AND ROBIN SPECIAL EDITION #1 drawn by Tony Daniel. We spoke with Daniel to find out about the series he'll be working on with other writers and artists as well as what we can expect as he ends his run on DEATHSTROKE.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: You’re doing the art for the first and sixth issue and some of the covers, how much convincing did it take to bring you onto this project?

No Caption Provided

TONY DANIEL: Not much convincing at all. When they brought it up to me, I was excited to do it. It’s the perfect amount of work. It’s going to take about six months of my life to complete. It was perfect timing because I was looking for something for that kind of time frame. This is another project that I’d like to do right now. Getting to work in Gotham City with all my favorite characters is definitely not something I would turn down. It’s a real honor to get back into this.

CV: Is it that Gotham City just keep pulling you back?

TONY DANIEL: Well, I haven’t really done much besides DETECTIVE and DEATHSTROKE. When Deathstroke was in Gotham City, it was only for like one issue. But I do miss it. I always felt really comfortable working in Gotham City with the characters. I have a lot of enthusiasm for the characters and everything Batman, basically. I’m a fan like everyone else as well as an artist. It’s always a real joy to draw characters that you love.

CV: Is there anything you can tell us about the timeline in ETERNAL? It sure looks like Bruce as Batman.

TONY DANIEL: The concept we have with Bruce as Batman, we’re having a lot of flashback sequences. We’re going to get to see Bruce Wayne as Batman throughout this storyline. I’m pretty sure that’s the scope of it, really. It’s a flashback sequence with Bruce as Batman.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

CV: Will you continue to do covers for DEATHSTROKE too? Writing?

TONY DANIEL: I’ve been co-writing it since issue #7. I really needed someone to help me out just because the deadlines start to catch up to you. I want to do a good job with it all. I want to do a good job with the art. I wanted to do a good job with the story. When you do it for like a year, it starts to creep up on you. You feel the pressure of the bulk laying down on you. I knew going in I would not be writing the full issues for a lengthy period of time. I knew it’d be a short process for me where I’d do maybe a few issues of DEATHSTROKE where I’d be the write and artist. I’m finishing out one last story arc with that and then devote the rest of my attention to the art side of things for a while.

Coming up on DEATHSTROKE we’ll have art by Tyler Kirkham. He’s doing a really good job. So he doesn’t really need me to do the covers. He’s done a phenomenal job. I’ve seen two of the covers he’s already done and they’re really cool. DEATHSTROKE’s in good hands with him as an artist. I’ll still be co-writing that for the next arc. We’re finishing up the current arc and then one more arc. After that I’m devoting my energy to just being a penciler. Which right now is in BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL.

No Caption Provided

CV: With the first cover full of characters, how do you approach a cover like that? Do layouts over it all, start with center characters and move out?

TONY DANIEL: This cover in particular was very difficult. Editorial wanted the split down the middle. It was half the present day and half in the past. I thought it was a real challenge when you’re splitting a character in the center in half. I did it a lot for the BATTLE FOR THE COWL story. In hindsight, I wasn’t crazy about them. To have to do another one but this time with a bunch of characters…It was explained to me we’re in two different time periods. We have the Robins on one side and Batman and Dick Grayson in the past on the other side. I was able to lay it out so it worked. The key is for it not to look too cluttered. Also, it has to have some sort of balance because you are spitting an image in half. You almost lose the focus or the balance of it. I’m happy with the way it turned out but I won’t be jumping to do another split cover like that anytime soon.

CV: What can you tell us about the 8-page Batman Day story?

TONY DANIEL: It really gives people a taste for what’s to come. I think it’s like a commercial for a big upcoming event. It shows Bruce Wayne as Batman and him sort of learning the scope of the threat that’s now unleashed. We get a hint of some of these characters that we’re going to be dealing with in this big story arc. I get to draw a lot of fun things and a lot of very detailed action shots. I think it’s a good taste of what you can expect in this big series.

No Caption Provided

CV: What’s it like working on a weekly book with multiple writers and artists compared to a monthly?

TONY DANIEL: So far it’s been easy because I’m the first issue. Everything else comes after my issue. I’ll notice the difference in my next issue, which is issue #6. Then I’ll be following what other people have conveyed or whatever. That’s just a matter of getting the art materials. As long as they’ve already drawn it and I can look at it and stay on point with what they’ve already established, it should be pretty smooth sailing.

No Caption Provided

CV: With all the focus on Robin and his upcoming anniversary, who’s your favorite Robin?

TONY DANIEL: My favorite is Dick Grayson. Luckily I get to draw him a lot as Robin, in the flashback sequences. But I also like him as his current persona in GRAYSON. I’m really enjoying him as a character, no matter which iteration I’m drawing him. Luckily for me in this series, I really get to enjoy the best of both worlds. I get to draw Batman and I get to draw my favorite Robin.

Don't miss the BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL SPECIAL EDITION #1 available free on Batman Day, September 26. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #1 is on sale October 7.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Tattacus

I would like to jump on this. But I already followed Batman Eternal weekly. I don't like doing that to my wallet when there's a lot of other books I like, and would have to drop in order to follow this. Shame since Cassie is returning in this.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So Grayson is ending? I'm out. The arts top notch though.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So in other words, another Batman comic book. Okay...

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dondave
    MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I am glad to see Damian on the last picture, but I think it still hasn´t been confirmed whether he will have a role in the series or not.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Nowhere in this article does it say or even indicate that.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I wanna read this but a weekly series sounds like a lot of cash. I think maybe collecting it in trades is a better idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"We’re going to get to see Bruce Wayne as Batman throughout this storyline."

I'm sold. End that Gordon crap

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: It's just flashbacks from what I'm getting from this interview.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tattacus said:

@jayc1324: It's just flashbacks from what I'm getting from this interview.

yeah, Gordon even is in the picture

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks good. Hopefully it will turn out better than the first but they had to learn something from their mistakes. I am gonna be optimistic.

fastflash12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Starfire: What is Robin's real name?
    • Raven: Dick Grayson.
    • Robin: It's actually Richard Grayson but I go by Dick.
    • Starfire: How does one get Dick from Richard?
    • Robin: You ask nicely.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm sold.

WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything still sounds good to me so far. The New 52 Timeline needs some more fleshing out so i'm not opposed to flashbacks. Plus the less I see of Jim Gordon as Batman the better.

Where in the article is that mentioned?

WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: it actually doesn't. I read the last issue of Grayson, looked at the next issue's teaser and saw the advertisement for this and jumped to a very wrong conclusion. I'm so used to books I like being changed or cancelled with no notice I made an assumption.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
    StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So in other words, another Batman comic book. Okay...

That's right ANOTHER Batman book.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nice. I will follow that story.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm pretty excited for this!

RedHood1047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As long as red hood is portrayed as a badass I'll be happy

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Hood will never again be portrayed as a bad ass. We've lost that guy to post n52 DC.

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damnit future solicitations cover shows Red Hood going back to his old costume but this title he's still in his new get up eventho Tony Daniel is drawing itttttt. Well if the story ends up being good, this might be my 1st Batman/Bat family HC pull in my collection.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By redwingx

Grayson sucks. Heck no im picking this up.

JazzLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Grayson, one of the best books right now and I love Cass so I'll pick it up. I'm dropping some books so I've got money left besides it sounds interesting so far. I just hope it doesn't mean Dick will be stuck in Gotham after this story.

Zainu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zainu

I'll pick it up just for Cassandra Cain.

However = = if they get her character wrong again, I'm dropping it like a hot potato.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
    midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting this for Red Hood and Cassandra Cain, my two favorite batfamily members

oompers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it won't fall apart like Eternal did.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i am totally getting this! loved Reading Batman Eternal weekly and enjoyed the story all the way thru,so can't wait!

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im sooo looking forward to this. For the past few months the robin, batman.... i guess the entire bat universe, has been my favorite things each month. Including Red hood Gothem academy etc. Also Tony D has been KILLING it on deathstroke. Ive always enjoyed the craziness in that book, since the new52 started. But Tony has taken it to a place i didnt think it could go, i LOVE it. Especially his arc with WW going on right now. It's gonna go down as one of my current favorite stories. IM PUMPED! lets go! il miss him writing Slade, but a weekly Batman and robin title will def make me happy! Can't wait to buy the collection of his Deathstroke run to go along side my single issues

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.