Tom Hardy Signs Up For Third Batman Film

• 73 results
Posted by inferiorego (28264 posts) - - Show Bio
Deadline reported recently that actor Tom Hardy, who recently played Eames in Inception, has helped halt production on the new film Mad Max: Fury Road to do something a bit bigger.

Tom Hardy will be hooking up once again with Chis Nolan to be in the third Batman film. But who will Hardy be playing? No one is sure yet, but he did sign on to play a "lead role." As many people are probably thinking at this point, he may be playing the main villain of the film. 

If Tom Hardy is playing a key villain in the third Batman film under the "lead role" guise, which villain will the fans get to see? Which villain is big enough to take on the Bat? As much as I want to say he could be playing the Riddler, which could be pretty cool, it may be a little too campy for Nolan's Batverse, although I'm sure his version of the Riddler could be awesome. I'd personally love to see Hardy as Black Mask and the focus on the film be back on the organized crime world of Gotham City. For now, though, the role is a secret, but I'm sure we'll learn more soon. Who do you think Tom Hardy could be playing? A villain? A hero?
#1 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (381 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope its Nightwing.

#2 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Mask would be epic

#3 Posted by ComicMan24 (147032 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there a chance that he could be playing a new role?

#4 Posted by Green Skin (2918 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still hoping for Deathstroke.

#5 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chibi-Iroh said:
" I hope its Nightwing. "
You can't have Nightwing without Robin. It'd be as horrible as BATMAN & ROBIN when they had Robin in an alterntate Nightwing costume and was still Robin. 

Since I heard that he will have Selina Kyle and Dick Grayson in the movie without them being Catwoman or Robin. 

Thinking too much into this, I can't think of who he would play. Maybe bring back Deadshot?
#6 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of like Tom Hardy. :) I agree about the Riddler, awesome character, but maybe not quite Nolan enough. Hero, villain? I do not know. My first instinct would say he'd be a villain. But who? Black Mask could be interesting.

#7 Posted by KNIGHT SAVIOR (778 posts) - - Show Bio

BLACK MASK!!!!!!!!!!
#8 Posted by TheManOfSteel456 (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks to bad-ass to be Riddler. Damn. I wanted Christopher Meloni for Black Mask.

#9 Posted by Pizawle (1073 posts) - - Show Bio

Hardy is an awesome actor. I too would love for him to play Black Mask.

#10 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he will play the riddler cuz im pretty sure riddler will be villain, but yeah i want him to play black mask.

#11 Posted by dondasch (921 posts) - - Show Bio

God.  If the whole progression, as it seems to be, is for Black Mask to show up as the main villain in Batman 3, then sure, what the hell....

#12 Posted by dan1509 (179 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Millar mentioned on his twitter, "Tom Hardy as Killer Croc? I like the sound of that" I duno, I just cant see a Nolan version of killer croc :/

#13 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (381 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin: You know what that would be a great idea.
#14 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw Riddler - Tom needs to be Black Mask 

Observe : Tom Hardy as bare knuckle fighter strongman Charles Bronson (not the actor) in Bronson. 

#15 Posted by Thunderscream (1806 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope he plays the gratuitous nude in my apartment. i'd shag that bloke in a heartbeat.

#16 Posted by inferiorego (28264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain: After watching that other clip you personally showed me.... 100% Black Mask. This guy is so intense.
#17 Posted by Green Skin (2918 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chibi-Iroh:  I think so too :D  Imagine how epically cool it would be to see Slade and Bruce throwdown on the big screen.  Tom does look a bit like Slade, but that's probably just wishful thinkin on my part.
#18 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego:
Right - I mean this is the same guy who played Picard's clone in that terrible Star Trek Nemesis. You can see how much muscle he gained to play Bronson. 

Tom is a great perfect choice to play the crazy sick torturer Black Mask. It would be a waste if he were to be the Riddler and not Black Mask. 

If Riddler is gonna be in it fine. But I want Black Mask in this damn it and I want Tom to be the guy to play him.
#19 Posted by DustinFun1704 (208 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he could be playing Thomas Elliot (Hush). I think that it is a great story-line for the upcoming batman film.
#20 Posted by damyria990 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should bring villians we haven't seen much.So,I hope he plays Mr.Zsasz.

#21 Posted by inferiorego (28264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain said:
" @inferiorego: Right - I mean this is the same guy who played Picard's clone in that terrible Star Trek Nemesis. You can see how much muscle he gained to play Bronson.  Tom is a great perfect choice to play the crazy sick torturer Black Mask. It would be a waste if he were to be the Riddler and not Black Mask.  If Riddler is gonna be in it fine. But I want Black Mask in this damn it and I want Tom to be the guy to play him. "
As much as I liked seeing Black Mask in Red Hood, I felt the character portrayed there wasn't very intimidating and lacked authority. After watching the clip from Bronson, I knew Hardy has what that character was missing.
#22 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain: love that flick
#23 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir:  You sir get a high five for knowing this movie. 

@inferiorego said:
" @Bruce Vain said:
" @inferiorego: Right - I mean this is the same guy who played Picard's clone in that terrible Star Trek Nemesis. You can see how much muscle he gained to play Bronson.  Tom is a great perfect choice to play the crazy sick torturer Black Mask. It would be a waste if he were to be the Riddler and not Black Mask.  If Riddler is gonna be in it fine. But I want Black Mask in this damn it and I want Tom to be the guy to play him. "
As much as I liked seeing Black Mask in Red Hood, I felt the character portrayed there wasn't very intimidating and lacked authority. After watching the clip from Bronson, I knew Hardy has what that character was missing. "

Yea I was happy he was in it and how Black Mask is starting to make more appearances, but his portrayal was very dull and not like the Black Mask in the comics. Hardy is the right guy to do the job right.
#24 Posted by anunsi (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldnt it be kind of awesome if nolan just made up a bad guy instead of forcing some one from the comic into the role. It would make sense but alot of batman fans would be pretty angry if its not at least 10 time better than the dark knight. who knows its a wait and see at this point. as long as its not bain im happy,

#25 Posted by Sobe Cin (596 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom Hardy should play the cain wielding detective Jason Bard. He was such a kick-butt character. Not to mention he could have the backstory of the Joker causing his limp. And Joseph Gordon-Levitt should be the Riddler.
#26 Posted by Edamame (28360 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say the Black Mask. The Riddler would be a little too similar to the Joker in the Dark Knight.

#27 Posted by Edamame (28360 posts) - - Show Bio
@damyria990 said:
" I think they should bring villians we haven't seen much.So,I hope he plays Mr.Zsasz. "
Mr. Zsasz already appeared in Batman Begins. Perhaps Mr. Zsasz could be one of the Black Mask's subordinates. 
#28 Edited by Anwar (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Mask and Hush are interesting characters, but it would make no sense in the movie imo, unless they retcon the last movies with some stupid flashback like in Spiderman 3. Bruce could've probably had some friends, but why weren't they in the earlier movies? If they go for one of  these villains, I hope they come up with a good story(which is way more important to me than any villain)

#29 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

When Tom Hardy wants his music. He GETS his music, ya slag !! 

Now after you watch this clip - imagine if this were Tom as Black Mask.
#30 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on Riddler!!

#31 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

I almost wonders if he's gonna be Bullock. Since DK ended with Bats being on the outs with the GCPD, it would make sense that they might have some division going up after him being led my a Harvey Bullock type character.  David Cain could also be awesome. They could easily do a story about Cain and Talia both trying to take out Batman to show that they're better than Ra's al Ghul.

As far as characters that I'd like to see who would work in the Nolan-verse: 
Firefly, Black Mask, Scarface/ the Ventriloquist (yes, it could dammit. really play up the multiple personalities part of it), Hush would work but it would be way too early to introduce him in my opinion, and Hugo Strange (but not played by Tom Hardy)

#32 Posted by Edamame (28360 posts) - - Show Bio

The main theme of the next film will be about Batman getting chased and accused by pretty much everyone in Gotham City.  Is there a villain that specializes in such?

#33 Posted by jakob187 (988 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom Hardy?  Win.

What character?  Well, people want to look at his ripped muscle performance from Bronson and say "Killer Croc" or "Black Mask".  Others want to go with the LONG-RUNNING rumor of "Riddler".

There's even the possibility of Hush, I would think.

Personally, I want to see Tom Hardy play Deadshot.  Such a forgotten character, and man...he's such a weird character!!!  People wouldn't recognize him like many other Batman enemies, but regardless, it's about servicing the character and the story...and Deadshot seems like something Tom Hardy could do well.

#34 Posted by djneked (7 posts) - - Show Bio

He could be Hush. If they hire Joseph Gordon-Levitt for the Riddler's part, then they might do an adaptation of Hush. I think he could make a great Hush.

#35 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

Another thing I would like to see is Crispus Allen, Harvey Bullock & Renee Montoya be introduce in the next Batman movie. Show Gordon bringing in new honest cops to replace the ones that were bought by the mob. I think Michael Chikilis should be Bullock & Michelle Rodriquez as Montoya.
#36 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (1029 posts) - - Show Bio

seems like a Black Mask, Hush storyline would be too early, no?

#37 Posted by angryamazon (90 posts) - - Show Bio
@dan1509:  oh i agree!
#38 Posted by djneked (7 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain: Didn't they already introduce those characters? I thought I had heard the name Bullock once in one of the movies. Kind of a cameo character appearance but without the actual big name star.
#39 Posted by spiderboy68 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna see the Riddler. And have him be more dangerous and not some psycho who likes riddles. More like Jigsaw from the Saw movies. That would be cool.

#40 Posted by Starkin (3262 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, Tom Hardy is a seriously talented and dedicated actor. He would be great as either Black Mask or Bane

#41 Posted by Om1kron (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

hush

#42 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12495 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom Hardy looks like Deadshot.
I just hope if he is Deashot, they also use Deathstroke.

#43 Posted by ImperiousRix (1050 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187:  
I'd fully endorse him playing Deadshot, although Hush would be the role I'd expect him to play.
#44 Posted by ComicStooge (13810 posts) - - Show Bio

He should play Deadshot!

#45 Posted by Sobe Cin (596 posts) - - Show Bio
@djneked:
They've introduced similar characters to Montoya and Bullock in the batman movies. But never those characters specifically.
#46 Posted by Riezner (417 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing?

#48 Posted by Leviticus128 (23 posts) - - Show Bio

Whomever it is im exited, tom herdy is epic, absoloutley loved him in inception, I even think i'd prefer him to be in this film over edward norton

#49 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (261 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he has to be the Riddler, a great choice if that's the case. I still hope Edward Norton lands a role in the film...

#50 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio
@djneked:
No Bullock or Montoya were never seen or mentioned in the recent Batman movies. Allen was in the Batman:Gotham Knight dvd which is connected to the movie. But he wasn;'t in the live movies either. The cop who betrayed Harvey - she was originally suppose to be called Montoya , but they changed the name. They didn't want to show Montoya be a traitor in the movie cause in the comics she's nothing like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.