Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Tim burton's batman forever

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skewer

We all know the story that batman returns was the last batman movie that Tim burton made before the studio fired him and replaced by Joel shumacher. What few people know is that Tim burton had pinned a script for batman forever which was rejected for being too dark. I searched for it and decided to share what it would have been like if he'd been allowed to direct it. -Firstly there would have been no two-face, just Harvey dent still played by billy dee Williams - robin would have been a street wise African American kid with the combination of dick grayson's and Jason Todd's origin played by marlon wayans - the riddler would have had his head shaved in the shape of a question mark( you know like the one that appeared in the first issue of Scott snyders batman in arkham asylum, the one a lot of people hated) played by robin Williams - dr chase meridian would have been played by rene Russo - there was still a door open for catwoman to appear although I'm not too sure what she would do in the film. A lot of what Tim burton's ideas were used by Joel shumacher. What was added was two face, the campy environment, the sub plot involving Bruce Wayne and his past, dick Grayson and a lot of other goofy stuff. So what are your thoughts on this?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By z3ro180

i dont like the burtons movies

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By entropy_aegis

I'll give Burton the same credit that I give Miller,they both are responsible for Batman's popularity and status but that's where it ends.

Burtons movies and that script are just as bad as Schumachers,the only reason why people prefer the former is cause they are "darker".

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@Skewer: marlon waynes was gonna be robin

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eternal19

@entropy_aegis said:

I'll give Burton the same credit that I give Miller,they both are responsible for Batman's popularity and status but that's where it ends.

Burtons movies and that script are just as bad as Schumachers,the only reason why people prefer the former is cause they are "darker".

this

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Matchstick

m'eh wouldn't have been any worse that what we ended up getting.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrShway88

@Matchstick said:

m'eh wouldn't have been any worse that what we ended up getting.

lol

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

Huh. A black Robin. Interesting.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By havoc1201

I just rewatched Batman Forever and I liked Robin that movie was not as bad as Batman and Robin but i still perfer Burtons Batman I just wish another Movie will bring in Robin bc we need a good robin story maybe have him older and just have flashbacks to his origin but yeah i would not have liked Burtons 3rd reading this but i also read a interview with michael Keaton and he said that Batman 3 was going to be more about how he became Batman.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
    ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

Nolan saved Batman from being a joke hero.

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sunhawk

would there have been "bat nipples" and and a gotham filled with giant statues of people holding up roads and skyscrapers?

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By havoc1201

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

Nolan saved Batman from being a joke hero.

so true after Schumacker got done with Batman and Robin the franchise was killed and Nolan revived it if not for him George Clooney would have been the last Batman we ever saw on film ( scary thought)

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FatihBATMAN

we needed schumacher in order for the revival...its like a double edged sword hehe

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Matchstick
    @FatihBATMAN said:

we needed schumacher in order for the revival...its like a double edged sword hehe

No we really didn't.  Burton's Batman was what revived Batman, Schumacher nearly killed it.  We didn't get another Batman film for 8 years after he did his 2 films.
    FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Okay cool, but think what the outcome would have been if we only had the Burton films? i dont think we would have gotten what w have now...

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By SavageDragon

They were alright. I liked many of the visuals, but the story and tone left much to be desired.

spetsnaz_gru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spetsnaz_gru

@entropy_aegis said:

Burtons movies and that script are just as bad as Schumachers,the only reason why people prefer the former is cause they have no supposedly subliminal yet pretty obvious homoeroticisms

Fixed!

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Skewer

Looking at this blog I'm surprised that I'm not alone in the territory of how I feel about Tim burton's work on batman. I personally feel that his success was mainly due to a number of factors, the casting and actors who worked on the set, the musical score, the setting, dark atmosphere and designs and not anything Tim burton was involved in. I personally feel that Tim burton gets way too much credit for his films and he's really dropped the ball on a lot of projects onwards, this is mainly he's much more of an artistic kind of director and he's more concerned about how the set looks, how the actors deliver their lines and the camera angles and symbols used on film than plotting and execution of a story.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Skewer said:

Looking at this blog I'm surprised that I'm not alone in the territory of how I feel about Tim burton's work on batman. I personally feel that his success was mainly due to a number of factors, the casting and actors who worked on the set, the musical score, the setting, dark atmosphere and designs and not anything Tim burton was involved in. I personally feel that Tim burton gets way too much credit for his films and he's really dropped the ball on a lot of projects onwards, this is mainly he's much more of an artistic kind of director and he's more concerned about how the set looks, how the actors deliver their lines and the camera angles and symbols used on film than plotting and execution of a story.

Pretty much,and yet we still have morons who think his Batman was close to the source material.The fanboys resort to claiming that Burtons Batman was like the Golden Age Batman,there's just one problem HE NEVER READ ANY COMICS GOLDEN AGE OR OTHERWISE,with the exception of the Killing Joke.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By havoc1201

@entropy_aegis said:

@Skewer said:

Pretty much,and yet we still have morons who think his Batman was close to the source material.The fanboys resort to claiming that Burtons Batman was like the Golden Age Batman,there's just one problem HE NEVER READ ANY COMICS GOLDEN AGE OR OTHERWISE,with the exception of the Killing Joke.

actually he had the Dark Knight returns by his side through the filming of Barman it was his inspiration for Gotham, you can see it in all the special features they released on the bluray copies

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By entropy_aegis

@havoc1201:Interesting,but he has gone on record to state that TKJ is the only comic he ever got.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By akbogert

@entropy_aegis: I'm pretty sure that's false. The cover of The Killing Joke Deluxe Edition has a quote from him which it sounds like you're (albeit improperly) remembering: "I loved The Killing Joke. It's my favorite. It's the first comic I've ever loved."

On a side note, I think Tim Burton's animated movies truly are great, and I enjoyed Sweeney Todd. His movies over the last few years have been a lot more underwhelming, and I've not seen all his Batman movies, but I think to say that the man in general isn't talented is really just untrue.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By entropy_aegis

@akbogert said:

@entropy_aegis: I'm pretty sure that's false. The cover of The Killing Joke Deluxe Edition has a quote from him which it sounds like you're (albeit improperly) remembering: "I loved The Killing Joke. It's my favorite. It's the first comic I've ever loved."

On a side note, I think Tim Burton's animated movies truly are great, and I enjoyed Sweeney Todd. His movies over the last few years have been a lot more underwhelming, and I've not seen all his Batman movies, but I think to say that the man in general isn't talented is really just untrue.

I didn't say that he was untalented,I love his musical scores and set designs.

The quote is incomplete,he went on to say that he never cared for comics(something to do with dyslexia).

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By havoc1201

I think after Batman Returns when the studio told him they wanted a lighter Batman he lost a lot of his Darkness bc whenever he tried to make a darker movie the studios made him tone it down for Marketing reasons so i feel like studios really ruined his vision on his movies but that is my opinion I just know when i hear he has a movie out i really cant wait to see it but then it all most always disapoints me bc he dosnt go dark enough anymore.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#25  Edited By akbogert

@entropy_aegis: Well, given the actual quote includes ellipses, I'll believe the quote's "incomplete," haha. But the words that are there -- "first...loved" implies that there were other comics read that were not loved, and that there may have been later loved comics. In either case, it's untrue to say that TKJ was the "only comic he ever got."

And the Tim Burton quality note wasn't necessarily aimed at you; there have just been quite a few people here who seem to think poorly of him and I think in general he's got a better track record than that, even if you don't approve of his Batman flicks.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By havoc1201

I love the Burton batman movies i can watch them over and over again i love the Nolan ones as well for different reason but I think Burton catches a lot of sh** for his take on Batman but i think overall he is a great director and set designer IMO some of his new stuff has disapointed me but thats bc i wish they were darker like the Batman Movies i think the studios have killed so much of his vision on films that he has toned down his style a bit.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By tupiaz

@akbogert said:

@entropy_aegis: Well, given the actual quote includes ellipses, I'll believe the quote's "incomplete," haha. But the words that are there -- "first...loved" implies that there were other comics read that were not loved, and that there may have been later loved comics. In either case, it's untrue to say that TKJ was the "only comic he ever got."

And the Tim Burton quality note wasn't necessarily aimed at you; there have just been quite a few people here who seem to think poorly of him and I think in general he's got a better track record than that, even if you don't approve of his Batman flicks.

The quote also said he didn't really read comics because he never knew what dialogue to read first and therefore didn't care much for comics and didn't read that much.

ALFMutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ALFMutant

Without Burton's Batman, we would never had Batman The Animated Series, except this time, the cast was perfect, great action, good scripts and faithful to the comic and characters.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Skewer

Batman the animated series was far better than all the movies I've seen. It's true that without burton's films we wouldn't have that series and it did have an influence from those films, it really came to the writing quality which far surpassed any of the movies.

sumafatrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sumafatrider

i loved them,especially batman returns,it had the best cat woman exactly at his time his era he couldnt go as dark as he wantedthe studies never allowed him

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.