Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Thinking of getting into the Batman comics

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'm thinking of getting into Batman comics. I've always liked Batman and watched all the movies animated and otherwise. In fact I think the last three movies were some of the best superhero movies period. Anyway I haven't really been into any of the comics since the Knightfall stuff way back in the day. So I'm thinking of trying to catch up going the graphic novel and trade paperback route. I've been told to start with Frank Miller's Year One or the zero year stuff. Either way can someone give me a list of stories that I should read that are essential.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

@hawk2916: On this page, you should see that there's a tab underneath the 'cover' photo of Batman that says 'Recommended Reading'

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@hawk2916: what is the kind of tone you like for batman. For very detective based stuff read long Halloween. If you want to read some events that will give you a great taste of the batman mythos read no mans land (its all over the place so don't start with it) or war games. For a run to read you should get grant Morrisons run or Scott Snyders run.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: Thanks. Does the recommended list go past the knightfall saga though?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: Well Miller's Year One is good for start since you get to read his origin in pre-flashpoint and go for Snyder's Zero Year for his New 52 Origin. For the New 52 The Court of Owls by Snyder is also one of the best modern Batman stories written as well as the fairly recent Icarus story arc for a more detective tone.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would consider all of Scott Snyder's Run (Black Mirror, Court of Owls, City of Owls, Death of the Family, Zero Year Secret City and Zero Year Dark City) essential. Further books include Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, The Killing Joke, Hush, The Man Who Laughs, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth just to list a few

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jmarshmallow

KILLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGG JOOOOOKKKKKKKKEEEEE.

As a gigantaliscioustacular Batman fan, I can easily say it was and still is one of my favorites.

Avatar image for patrickborkland
    patrickborkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here.... Read all my posts on this thread (there's only 3 so don't be lazy). It's all you need for New52 stuff and some recommended reading for Pre52

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.