Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

The Unforgivable Sin

david4shure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By david4shure

Hey guys, 

So I recently started reading batman, and I picked up batman year one by frank miller, and I gotta say, I actually really didn't like it. I mean from the hard to read writing to the confusing art, maybe I just don't appreciate what frank miller has done with batman. I'm just having trouble with it because I know it is supposedly batman's real origin, but im just confused because I feel like I was supposed to like it? Maybe it was a matter of me not being an experienced comic book reader, but I enjoyed Batman Son of the Demon IMMENSELY and I feel like i may just be immature as a comic reader, but I'm still confused as to where to go from here. Im really not trying to piss anyone off, truly, Im just confused..

Thanks for understanding guys  

"In hoc signo vinces"

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

don't feel bad...I didn't like Year One either...or most of Frank Miller's other work actually

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Feliciano2040

I love Miller's work with Batman, it's the best.

Though that doesn't mean you're an "inmature" comics reader or anything, just give it a chance later on, if you REALLY want to start with Batman then read stuff like HUSH or The Long Halloween.

MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MuadDiab

Well he's not the artist on Year One. Can't believe you didn't dig it, but whatever. 

If  you didn't like it you probably won't like The Dark Knight Returns. Millar wrote and drew it. 

I'd always recommend the Long Halloween and Knightfall to people trying to get into Batman. The Killing Joke and Hush are good reads for newbie's too :D

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sydpart2

hmm...I always recommend one shots to people trying to get into Batman...but if you want gn's then you might like The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, the man who laughs, or Hush. Those are really good ones that don't require a ton of background to understand...

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Sydpart2 said:
    hmm...I always recommend one shots to people trying to get into Batman...but if you want gn's then you might like The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, the man who laughs, or Hush. Those are really good ones that don't require a ton of background to understand...
    Except The Man Who Laughs, really dissapointing.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sydpart2
    @Feliciano2040 said:
    @Sydpart2 said:
    Except The Man Who Laughs, really dissapointing.
    really? It's not the greatest Joker story sure, but I thought it was fairly good since they had to stick to the original Batman #1 story...I really liked how it opened too...
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Sydpart2: I wouldn't say it's the best by Brubaker, and that man kicks too much ass !
    Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Rudyftw

I honestly didn't enjoy it much either. Or Frank Millers Dare devil... I found them kind of boring.

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AMS

'' but I'm still confused as to where to go from here'' 

Honestly it doesn't really matter, I mean you could try Long Halloween or something else as suggested by others but really as long as you know the basics you can pretty much jump in at any point with Batman and not find it too difficult. 

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @AMS: Unless it was Morrison's run, which as Brilliant as it is, still needs plenty of Batman knowledge.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Timandm
    @david4shure: I can definitely understand not liking Frank Miller's style...  Usually, it's the kind of thing I would hate, but because I like his stories so much I guess I overlook the art style, and some of the confusion that comes with it.  Feliciano is right, try the HUSH story arc.  I think you'll like it.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Timandm: Check out some of the previews of "Holy Terror", I thought I knew what "bad Frank Miller art" was, I had absolutely NO idea.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Timandm
    @Feliciano2040: Am I going to hate it?
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Timandm: I actually enjoy Frank Miller's art, not my favorite, but I dig his style.

The art on Holy Terror ? Hideous.
    Pepsiguy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Pepsiguy2

I stopped reading Year One half way through because the writing strained on my eyes. Why can't it just be standard writing? I'll wait for the animated movie. 

As for Frank Miller's other stuff like The Dark Knight Returns, those are great.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.