The Screwed up Batman timescale

Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

DC keeps trying to say that the superheroes in the New 52 have only been around for about five years. That doesn't WORK with Batman!!!! They're trying to condense YEARS of history for the Bat-verse into five years. This means Dick was only Robin a couple of years at the most, Jason was Robin a year, and Tim has been Robin(I don't care if he took a slightly different name) for at least three before Damien took over.

I for one try to ignore that. With Batman they didn't HAVE to do that. If they wanted to make Superman THE first superhero they could've still done that, but make it where Batman has been active longer! Have it where his and Robin's existence isn't really acknowledged by anyone outside of Gotham and even in Gotham he's still more of an urban legend to most.

You see? SIMPLE!!!

#1 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I always figured that Batman could have operated in secret before the big rise of the heroes, so his timelime would be a bit longer. But, of course, when you loo at all the details, there are still a crapload of inconsistencies.

#2 Posted by Joelislegend (215 posts) - - Show Bio

It was kind of stupid that all of the timelines got reset post-flashpoint yet they left Batman exactly as it was. He honestly could have used a nice little reboot the timeline is clusterfuck at best and all the crazy bat family hardly makes sense anymore.

#3 Edited by Reignmaker (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman probably would have gotten a frsh reboot like the other characters if Mr. Morrison wasn't still in midst of his Batman Incorporated story. Green Lantern didn't get a real reboot either for the same reason...Geoff wasn't finished.

#4 Posted by Cap10nate (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have done a full reboot with just Bruce and Dick instead of having all the Robins. . . but that reduces the number of titles that could be sold so they went with the cluster.

#5 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

They should have done a full reboot with just Bruce and Dick instead of having all the Robins. . . but that reduces the number of titles that could be sold so they went with the cluster.

I WOULD have agreed with that if I wasn't a fan of Jason and that would mean it would be who knows how long before Jason comes in again if ever. I just think going with the idea that the existence of Batman isn't really acknowledged by anyone outside of Gotham would've been the way to go.

#6 Posted by Loki9876 (2981 posts) - - Show Bio

In my mind he has been longer batman like 8,5 years.

#7 Posted by conradoaccorsi (258 posts) - - Show Bio

They could have met 5 years ago but Batman could been acting 10 years before

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.