The New 52 Batman timeline makes absolutely no sense

  • 101 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

As you probably know, Batman did not get the full reboot treatment. Quite the opposite, he apparently kept most of his continuity.

I guess we were all under the impression that "five years ago" was just the first public appearance of a Superhero, namely Superman but that in order to fit Batman's precious continuity, he had been around for a much longer period of time in Gotham as an urban legend.

Batman Annual (vol. 2) #1 no longer gives the readers that luxury. Indeed, when Fries meets Wayne for the first time, SIX years ago, all the characters make it very clear that he just came back from his training. We are talking the very beginning of Year One, folks, and it makes NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SENSE!

Are we supposed to believe that he trained four Robins in SIX years? What about The Long Halloween and Dark Victory?

And what about Damian? The kid is freakin' TEN!!!

This timeline is just moronic.

#2 Posted by foxandwall (49 posts) - - Show Bio

In fact he trained four Robin in five years...Because five years ago ,dick is still in circus( a flashback in Nightwing)

#3 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

It really doesn't. Dick its gotta be like 1 year older than Jason.

#4 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

The Damien part got me. So true.

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course it doesn't.

I say 10 years would make more sense.

#6 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@foxandwall said:

In fact he trained four Robin in five years...Because five years ago ,dick is still in circus( a flashback in Nightwing)

Thanks. I had forgotten that.

It just gets dumber and dumber.

#7 Edited by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

It really doesn't. Dick its gotta be like 1 year older than Jason.

And it is like he did not even adopt them and had any kind of relationship with them. At this point, they are like "six-months-live-with-Batman internships".

"There is your diploma, you are now officially an ex-Robin. Sorry, no time to lose, I have another one waiting in line. See ya. "

#8 Posted by ComicStooge (12611 posts) - - Show Bio

The entire new 52 makes no sense.

#9 Posted by The_Tree (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap said:

@foxandwall said:

In fact he trained four Robin in five years...Because five years ago ,dick is still in circus( a flashback in Nightwing)

Thanks. I had forgotten that.

It just gets dumber and dumber.

That's the relaunch, for ya.

#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree said:

@DarthShap said:

@foxandwall said:

In fact he trained four Robin in five years...Because five years ago ,dick is still in circus( a flashback in Nightwing)

Thanks. I had forgotten that.

It just gets dumber and dumber.

That's the relaunch, for ya.

This.  
@ComicStooge said:

The entire new 52 makes no sense.

And this.  
 
But DC won't fix it until idiots stop buying the crap. 
#11 Posted by ComicStooge (12611 posts) - - Show Bio

They didn't even need to the reboot to do most of the good stuff they're already doing (which to me, is only All-Star Western and Aquaman).

#12 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

He's batman! He's too godlike to make sense.

#13 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@DarthShap said:

@Primmaster64 said:

It really doesn't. Dick its gotta be like 1 year older than Jason.

And it is like he did not even adopt them and had any kind of relationship with them. At this point, they are like "six-months-live-with-Batman internships".

"There is your diploma, you are now officially an ex-Robin. Sorry, no time to wait, I have another one waiting in line. See ya. "

I think they kinda  said that somewhere...
#14 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind as long as they dish out good stories.

#15 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I knoooooow it, I just try to ignore the fact this DON'T MAKE ANY F*CKING SENSE because when I think about my nerd sense goes mad :S

I just keep thinking 'This isn't true, Batman has been there for a looooooong time, anything happened to the time line, keep calm' and works :o

#16 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio

There are so many problems with the 6 years timeline I don't even know where to begin.

#17 Posted by NinaColada (37 posts) - - Show Bio

It's kind of sad to see all these massive changes within not only the continuity but also the characters themselves.

Like how Bruce was supposedly looking into the Court of Owls when he was just a kid, training four Robins in the span of 5 years, the ruined costuming not to mention origins, they totally ruined Harley Quinn in both.

sad face

#19 Posted by Lvenger (19428 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I'll give you this one. Particularly with Damian. He's supposed to be 10 and Bruce is supposed to be in his late 20s/early 30s in Batman. So that would mean he would have to have met Ra'as Al Ghul and done the deed with Talia when he was about 20 or something like that? Some sort of ridiculous explanation will be given for it. Maybe he was grown quickly or something?

#20 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

They didn't even need to the reboot to do most of the good stuff they're already doing (which to me, is only All-Star Western and Aquaman).

Who'd have thought that there'd come a time where we're saying Aquaman is better than Batman!

:

#21 Edited by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@NinaColada said:

It's kind of sad to see all these massive changes within not only the continuity but also the characters themselves.

Like how Bruce was supposedly looking into the Court of Owls when he was just a kid, training four Robins in the span of 5 years, the ruined costuming not to mention origins, they totally ruined Harley Quinn in both.

sad face

Looking for the Court of Owls when he was just a kid would make sense. He sort of became Batman after his "one bad day" and it would make sense that he would be paranoid. What does not make sense is that he would stop looking and not reexamine something he did without any training.

Also, the Court of Owls is problematic in itself. Pre-Batman, Gotham is a city of crime, not a city of supervillains. Joe Chill is its symbol, just a simple mugger. Batman becomes Gotham's first superhero in his fight against Crime and changes the nature of crime as a result. It is organic, it works and it makes Batman special. After Snyder's run, all of that will have been destroyed and for what? One good arc with surprising twists but this essential part of Batman's mythos will be gone.

I have not read Harley's new origin story but I am not really expecting to like it. Heart of Ice and Mad Love are two of the greatest origin stories and I do not think writers should try to "improve" them because chances are, they won't.

#22 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

Well just because there was an Illuminati-like group of people (Court of Owls) in Gotham prior to Batman really doesn't "destroy" the idea that Batman incidentally changed Gotham into a city of freaks and super villains from a city of crime. That aspect of the story is still there since 99% of Batman's rogue gallery emerged in Gotham after/ as a result of Batman. People are over reacting in saying Snyder "destroyed an essential part of Batman's mythos" just because the Court has used Talons who regenerate using a drug.

#23 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

1 year after Flashpoint you are just now getting this? I knew this as soon as they announced this crap.

#24 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Sup guys, just signed up to the forums after seeing this topic.

As a newbie when it comes to comics I can definitely see where the OP is coming from. The timeline is ridiculously messed up beyond all belief. What's more, this is what Scott Lobdell said with regards to Tim Drake:

Are we supposed to assume that after Dick flew the nest and Jason died, Bruce just decided he had to train up a new Robin but couldn't allow Tim to work with him for whatever reason? Perhaps he felt the Teen Titans needed Tim as a Robin more than Batman needed him due to Damian being around? It just doesn't make sense.

As someone who's just come into reading comics the whole New 52 timeline for Batman is so confusing. I've read up on the origins of characters and certain story arcs from before the New 52 was launched , and one thing that struck me was that a lot of the origins and back stories have stayed the same and simply been compressed into a 5 year gap in the New 52. It's the 5 year thing that is the problem here, 10 years would be pushing it in my opinion, given Damian's age at present, 15 years would be far more realistic. In one of the early Nightwing episodes (think it was issue 2 or 3 of the reboot) Dick has a flashback to when he was a kid in the circus and the caption says "5 years ago", he looks about 10-13 years old in this flashback so at most he is 18 at present. And yet we're still expected to believe that he trained as Robin, became Nightwing, had a stint as Batman (so we know the events of Batman R.I.P happened) and then became Nightwing again. It just does not work with the 5 year timeline that DC have given us. Also, how did Jason Todd die then come back as an adult?!

Another issue has just hit me, certain series within the New 52 are said to take place at different times to others. Doesn't Detective take place at a different time to Snyder's Batman series? I heard they were a couple of years apart. In which case why did the former series have a Night of the Owls tie-in issue?

#25 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap said:

@NinaColada said:

It's kind of sad to see all these massive changes within not only the continuity but also the characters themselves.

Like how Bruce was supposedly looking into the Court of Owls when he was just a kid, training four Robins in the span of 5 years, the ruined costuming not to mention origins, they totally ruined Harley Quinn in both.

sad face

Looking for the Court of Owls when he was just a kid would make sense. He sort of became Batman after his "one bad day" and it would make sense that he would be paranoid. What does not make sense is that he would stop looking and not reexamine something he did without any training.

Also, the Court of Owls is problematic in itself. Pre-Batman, Gotham is a city of crime, not a city of supervillains. Joe Chill is its symbol, just a simple mugger. Batman becomes Gotham's first superhero in his fight against Crime and changes the nature of crime as a result. It is organic, it works and it makes Batman special. After Snyder's run, all of that will have been destroyed and for what? One good arc with surprising twists but this essential part of Batman's mythos will be gone.

I have not read Harley's new origin story but I am not really expecting to like it. Heart of Ice and Mad Love are two of the greatest origin stories and I do not think writers should try to "improve" them because chances are, they won't.

The problem with the Court of Owls is that they didn't do a full reboot and make it as a part of Batman's origin.

When you think about it, there are a lot of problems with that idea in the current continuity. For one, if the Court of Owls have been around for centuries and controlled Gotham since its founding, before the United States of America even existed, then that means they let the Wayne family become some of the most powerful and influential people in the world. Considering how the Waynes have always been a problem for them, why didn't they just get rid of the Waynes 100 years ago or bring them into the Court of Owls? And how exactly would Batman: Year One have worked? Batman basically just went around threatening to take down Gotham's corrupt rich people and the Court of Owls just sat around and let him do it? It makes no sense for this secret society of evil masterminds to sit around waiting for its enemies to become powerful before going after them.

#26 Posted by Krissyjump (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, how I always looked at the 52 verse is that multiple universes were pushed together and that's what we have now. The stuff that happened in Batman previously still happened over the long time it did, but now they only remember it happening within the past 5 years. Like, it actually happened over lets say 10 or 15 years, but when the different universes were merged together to create the 52 universe, the 'apparent timeline' became 5 years, though in actuality it was longer. Or at least that's how I look at it, less confusing that way...

#27 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Yeah I'll give you this one. Particularly with Damian. He's supposed to be 10 and Bruce is supposed to be in his late 20s/early 30s in Batman. So that would mean he would have to have met Ra'as Al Ghul and done the deed with Talia when he was about 20 or something like that? Some sort of ridiculous explanation will be given for it. Maybe he was grown quickly or something?

I never thought of that. That means, in the nDCU, Bruce impregnated Talia four years before becoming Batman!

And with all the Robins, I'll attempt (That's the word) after we get the zero issues for all the Robins, as those should help fill in the timeline.

#28 Posted by Lvenger (19428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@Lvenger said:

Yeah I'll give you this one. Particularly with Damian. He's supposed to be 10 and Bruce is supposed to be in his late 20s/early 30s in Batman. So that would mean he would have to have met Ra'as Al Ghul and done the deed with Talia when he was about 20 or something like that? Some sort of ridiculous explanation will be given for it. Maybe he was grown quickly or something?

I never thought of that. That means, in the nDCU, Bruce impregnated Talia four years before becoming Batman!

And with all the Robins, I'll attempt (That's the word) after we get the zero issues for all the Robins, as those should help fill in the timeline.

I know. I do quite like the New 52 but it's still full of continuityy issues and conundrums. Quite a lot of trouble for DC to fix if I'm honest.

#29 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian's growth was accelerated in incubators by the League of Assassins, wasn't it?

#30 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

i hate the new 52

#31 Posted by Lvenger (19428 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: I think that's the only possible explanation as to why Damian is 10 in the New 52 timeline though it hasn't been clarified when Damian was born. That would help a great deal.

#32 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

But that would also mean he only has about 4 years of training. Unless they put an Intersect in his head, it's kind of ridiculous for him to be able to learn all those things in such a short time even by comic book standards.

Although I suppose another (dumber) explanation is that they raised him in some extra-dimensional space where time moves faster.

#33 Edited by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@KingofMadCows said:

But that would also mean he only has about 4 years of training. Unless they put an Intersect in his head, it's kind of ridiculous for him to be able to learn all those things in such a short time even by comic book standards.

Although I suppose another (dumber) explanation is that they raised him in some extra-dimensional space where time moves faster.

Well, he's also ridiculously intelligent, it's training by League of Assassins so far superior to other training and they probably worked him under some VR/Computer stimulation stuff a lot of the time (Xavier style).

#34 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Well, he's also ridiculously intelligent, it's training by League of Assassins so far superior to other training and they probably worked him under some VR/Computer stimulation stuff a lot of the time (Xavier style).

But it wouldn't make any sense if they get too ridiculous with the training. Otherwise, why don't they do that with Ra's or Talia?

#35 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10394 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok my timeline would be:

Bruce at the age of 6 start to train becuase of his father wish to make Bruce a Smart Healthy kid.

His parents die when he is 12, so he has 6 year of training, then he keeps the trainning, but now it trains harder and more hours.

16 he drops the school, he has now 10 years of training, start trainning around the world.

26 he stop trainning and gets back to Gotham, now he has 20 years of training, then he becames the Batman.

He starts to train Robin when he is 30, Jason when he is 35 and Tim when he is 39, so it mean Bruce is in his 40s.

#36 Edited by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

*cough*

According to the Timeline

Jason Todd died 3 years ago, came back shortly after and trained for at least 1 year. Which means Dick was Nightwing 3 years ago. This number is also based on Barbara getting shot which happened 3 years ago.

Joker was active 7 years ago if I remember right (a year before Batman at max now was active)

Knightfall and No Mans Land has to have happened within those 3 years, as do the events of 52, which all takes place over 1 year of time span.

If we maintain that Dick became robin in year 3 of Batman's career...

Year 0 = Joker?

Year 1 = ?

Year 2 = Formation of Justice League

Year 3 = Dick Grayson become Robin. Barbara Gordon becomes Batgirl

Year 4 = Dick Grayson is fired and becomes Nightwing, Jason Todd becomes Robin and then is killed by the Joker. Barbara Gordon gets shot by the Joker.

Year 5 = Tim Drake becomes Robin. Bane breaks Batman's back and Jean-Paul becomes Batman and goes psycho. Bruce returns and tosses JPV out, Dick becomes Batman. Bruce returns. No Man's Land happens.

Year 6 = Bruce is framed for murder. OMAC invasion. 52 happens. Damian starts living with Batman. Batman is killed/sent back to the past by Darkseid. Dick becomes Batman. Damian becomes Robin. Tim becomes Red Robin and is forced to go solo. Bruce returns and starts Batman Inc.

Year 7(current year) = Dick becomes Nightwing again. Tim forms the Teen Titans.

yeah... that all fits >.>

#37 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken said:

*cough*

According to the Timeline

Jason Todd died 3 years ago, came back shortly after and trained for at least 1 year. Which means Dick was Nightwing 3 years ago. This number is also based on Barbara getting shot which happened 3 years ago.

Joker was active 7 years ago if I remember right (a year before Batman at max now was active)

Knightfall and No Mans Land has to have happened within those 3 years, as do the events of 52, which all takes place over 1 year of time span.

If we maintain that Dick became robin in year 3 of Batman's career...

Year 0 = Joker?

Year 1 = ?

Year 2 = Formation of Justice League

Year 3 = Dick Grayson become Robin. Barbara Gordon becomes Batgirl

Year 4 = Dick Grayson is fired and becomes Nightwing, Jason Todd becomes Robin and then is killed by the Joker. Barbara Gordon gets shot by the Joker.

Year 5 = Tim Drake becomes Robin. Bane breaks Batman's back and Jean-Paul becomes Batman and goes psycho. Bruce returns and tosses JPV out, Dick becomes Batman. Bruce returns. No Man's Land happens.

Year 6 = Bruce is framed for murder. OMAC invasion. 52 happens. Damian starts living with Batman. Batman is killed/sent back to the past by Darkseid. Dick becomes Batman. Damian becomes Robin. Tim becomes Red Robin and is forced to go solo. Bruce returns and starts Batman Inc.

Year 7(current year) = Dick becomes Nightwing again. Tim forms the Teen Titans.

yeah... that all fits >.>

Which means Bruce and Talia conceived Damian three years before he became Batman. Because that makes perfect sense.

#38 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

Which means Bruce and Talia conceived Damian three years before he became Batman. Because that makes perfect sense.

Except, the whole getting busy with Talia the old fashion way was retconed a long time ago and Damian is a artificially aged child that was born by mixing Talia and Bruce's DNA in an artificial womb chamber thing. Not to mention there are other "Damians" that were bred the same way.

#39 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Durakken: Tim was never a Robin in this timeline. Ugh DC
#40 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

@Durakken: Tim was never a Robin in this timeline. Ugh DC

I just read about that.

I also just had this really crazy idea of trying to get a group of people to create something called the DC Fanverse which would be a universe that "reboots" the DC universe as written by fans and maintained by an overall editor to maintain continuity.

#41 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

According to Batman Inc #2 which came out last month, Damian was still conceived by Bruce and Talia the "old fashion way." Although he was carried in an artificial womb. That being said, the only way the timeline makes any sense now is if they retcon Bruce's first encounters with Ra's and Talia to when he was traveling the world and training, pre-Batman. Son of the Demon would had to have happened several years before Bruce became Batman. I don't like changing history too much, but I've always liked the Batman Begins origin so I honestly wouldn't have a problem if DC retcon'd it to something like this.

#42 Posted by jwalser3 (4915 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe issue 0 can explain a little?

#43 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

Maybe issue 0 can explain a little?

it will explain as much as Power Girl's chest, but be less appealing.

#44 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

Maybe issue 0 can explain a little?

Doubt it.

Isn't issue 0 basically just them going over Bruce's motivation for becoming Batman? If this is the case it will likely show the murder of his parents, his finding motivation to become Batman, him training and so on and so forth.

#45 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@YMCMB said:

According to Batman Inc #2 which came out last month, Damian was still conceived by Bruce and Talia the "old fashion way." Although he was carried in an artificial womb. That being said, the only way the timeline makes any sense now is if they retcon Bruce's first encounters with Ra's and Talia to when he was traveling the world and training, pre-Batman. Son of the Demon would had to have happened several years before Bruce became Batman. I don't like changing history too much, but I've always liked the Batman Begins origin so I honestly wouldn't have a problem if DC retcon'd it to something like this.

The small problem is, in Batman, inc. 2, he is already shown dressed as Batman the first time he meets Talia 10 years ago. I blame that on a lack of cohesion between writers.

#46 Posted by jwalser3 (4915 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat:I really hope not :(

We already understand why he becomes Batman. So it could explain the Robins. But probably wont happen.

#47 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

@LuigiBat:I really hope not :(

We already understand why he becomes Batman. So it could explain the Robins. But probably wont happen.

Thats not how DC see it though. With the reboot they are basically turning round and saying to people "did *insert major event* really happen or go down that route?". The reboot was supposed to be a means of getting new people into comics because the old universe became too complicated to follow for a newbie wanting to get into comics due to the number of crossovers in story arcs and other such things. Therefore DC have to assume (due to the fact that they'd look like morons otherwise for even having a reboot) that people do not know the origins of Batman and have not read up on much history of the character or read Frank Miller's Year One.

#48 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

In other news, rain is wet.

#49 Posted by jwalser3 (4915 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat:Then I guess i wont buy issue 0. I don't mind the reboot but they could change the origin a little bit.

#50 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3:

I'm not saying it's a dead cert that the issue will be like that, but I'd say it'll most likely be a compressed and slightly altered version of Miller's Year One except Snyder will probably put his own twist onto it somehow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.