Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23647 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

The most big Batman's problem are his villains.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alexander505

I know that could sound a paradox, but I think that most of Batman's villains are pretty bad managed. Villains like Two Face, Mr Freeze, Croc, Riddler, Hush, are the worst ever made. Two Face was well written many times, I agree with that, but he is a threat for Bats? Nope. Mr Freeze, completely useless. He supposed to be a great scientist, inventor, but at the end of day, he get one shotted by Bats without any effort. Why he can't build something more powerful than that usual useless armor, and fight like a true villain? Croc, is a old story, huge jobber. Riddler, theoretically should be a mental threat and a challenge for Bats. He's not at all. He's a joke. Hush, another failed villain, recently, stomped badly by Bats. Again, Hush should to be a mastermind, a great strategist. Not at all. Oh, Ivy too is a huge jobber, and what about Penguin, like Dent, a general mobster, useless, can't be a threat for Bats anymore. Batman is one of the most popular superhero, but he has one of the worst villain gallery ever made, cause is not used like should be.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hush just plain sucks, he can't be fixed. He needs to be retconned out of existence entirely.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat: I kind of agreed, Hush was never a great villain everyone never bring up Riddler was the mastermind of Batman: Hush.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loeb sucks.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MakkyD

I thought the Arkham series balanced his lesser known villains such as Croc, penguin and Freeze very well and showed why they're still threats.

But in general, if they're not Joker, Ra's al Ghul or Bane, writers usually don't have a clue how to make them threatening to Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
    deactivated-5a60370ee1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve said it many times before; it’s easier to make a useless Joker story than a deep Two-Face, Penguin, or Riddler story.

Penguin, Two-Face, and most of them have great potential, but writers are terrible at attempting to write them, like Snyder for example. Say Penguin in the Arkham games was written extremely well, and he was a huge threat, and Riddler was done really well too.

Oh, and yes, Hush and Black Mask are horrid.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riddler was one of Gotham's greatest threats in Zero Year.

Yeah, Freeze is lame (Unless it's Arkhamverse).

Penguin is lame.

Two-Face is lame.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul: And why is that? Because they're written horribly now? I'd agree with the latter. As characters, they're far from lame, but now they're written pretty badly (save for Penguin: Pain & Prejudice).

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@b4tm4nish3r3: I just don't like Two-Face or Penguin.

Mr Freeze is just lame currently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul: That’s understandable; the older stuff from the 90s and 80s was the best time for both of the characters. Now, they’re written as either plot devices or just sideline villains.

I wish they’d incorporate the DCAU Mr. Freeze or get Paul Dini to write him.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By deathstroke52

For a lot of Batman writers these are the choices of main villains they use:

• The Joker.
    • One of the many "Anti-Bat" Doppelgangers just like him except that they kill people.
    • One of those behind the scenes type villains that uses the weak villains as pawns, then get their @$$ handed to them when Batman gets through the wall of pawns.
    Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Personally I love his rogues gallery and think they all are great challenges to him, but i think the joker is over used a bit. They need to give him a breather and yeah hush is a total gimmic villain that shouldnt be as well known as he is.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i would love to see ScareCrow or Clayface as a big Threat to Batman.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he has the best rogues in all of comics, but I agree, some can be handle I. A pretty bad way that makes them seem lame, I think if I wrote Batman books, I'd start focusing on lesser villains then revamp them, make them look and seem better

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aahz

I think there are two problems with his villians at them moment:

1. We had so many Big events and Batman was made so powerfull, that most "normal" crimes (like they were common in older Batman comics) look quite lame in comparison. And it is hard to bring his classic villains are supposed to be a thread of this scale, and it is sometimes a little bit strange if they were brougth to this level (Zero Year and Eternal were for example much bigger than anything the Riddler and Cluemaster did before).

2. Some villians (Scarecrow, Joker, Bane, Mad Hatter, Mr. Freeze, Penguin) are used to often in the last time

minutemen_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By minutemen_64

@maccyd: l dont think bane is much of a treat to batman at all ,with a years prep and help maybe ,penguin needs to be removed hes just a fat short english man with a machine gun ,hes worthless .

Bring back rainbow beast!

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By MakkyD
    @minutemen_64 said:

@maccyd: l dont think bane is much of a treat to batman at all ,with a years prep and help maybe ,penguin needs to be removed hes just a fat short english man with a machine gun ,hes worthless .

Bring back rainbow beast!

Penguin is never meant to be a threat in the physical sense. It's his access to his resources and wealth as well as his control of organised crime in Gotham that make him a threat.

minutemen_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By minutemen_64

@maccyd: l mean still hes more of a annoyounce than anything else ,he cant match batmans wits ,hes a crime lord but thats notthing specail agasnt batman ,theres alot of batman villians that no one knows about that deserve to be in a batman game at some point in the near future .

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.