Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

The mastermind of Eternal is

• 64 results
    bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@the_kidd said:

@takeluutzen: that Owl man is working with lex Luther in the Justice League book I doubt he would show up here, if anything he would quicker show up in Grayson.

I don't remember seeing him with Luthor, in what issue this happened?

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By The_Kidd

@bigcimmerian: Justice League 34 Lex want Owlman to help him plan against Anti-monitor incoming attack.

No Caption Provided

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's March then it would be unsurprising and underwhelming.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@takeluutzen: Thanks!

I wouldn't bet on Crime Syndicate Owlman since he's more of a Justice League villain than a Batman rogue. And besides, Geoff Johns seems to have plans for CS Owlman in the future, and he doesn't seem to be too concerned with Batman. Also, while his name is OWLman, he really has no connection to the Court (that we know of),and so, since the mastermind definitely has some connection to them, it doesn't seem likely that CS Owlman will be involved.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just re-reading The Black Mirror (also by Snyder), and had a crazy thought.

What if.... The mastermind behind all this is....James Gordon Jr!?!

Think about for a minute. First and foremost, since Snyder re-introduced him as a criminal mastermind in Black Mirror, that would mean that some elements of that Pre-New 52 story may be canon, which includes him knowing Bruce Wayne's secret ID, and we do know that the mastermind knows who he is.

Secondly, Etenal started with the fall of Gordon, and who wants to hurt Jim more than his dear old son? Also, James did make a brief appearance where he visited Jim and tried to convince him to lose faith in the system and break out of jail. Everyone except for Jim thinks that James is dead. Since then, James has not appeared. Why would they have him appear so briefly only to disappear without a trace?

Also, let's go back to the "You are Echo" riddle. "Echo" might refer to "dark reflection". In the HC Black Mirror story, James was described as Jim's "dark reflection". What if Riddler was referring to James Jr? Also, the second riddle, "Dads old news, place bet on daughters". The "fathers and daughters" riddle may refer to the fact that Jim has always favored his daughter Barbara over James (probably because she's not a psychopath).

And finally, Bruce has yet to face James even though James knows his secret. Maybe it's time? In Black Mirror, Dick was Batman, and the reason James came after him because he cared about people. What if James comes after Batman because he cares too much about his city, and so wants to rip everything of value to him?

@rustyroy said:

If it's March then it would be unsurprising and underwhelming.

No offense, but how can you be underwhelmed by something you haven't been reading?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By Saren

@anjales: By the same logic the "dark reflection" could just be Lincoln March; this was the last thing he said to Batman before his disappearance:

No Caption Provided

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales I have read 10 issues of the series and I'll get the tpb. If it's March then it will be underwhelming for me simply because that's too predictable, anyone could've guessed that from the first issue. I'm still hoping it's someone else.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Yes I know. I mentioned this in my previous post. That's why I initially had March as my first guess. Here's what I said:

"Riddler gives Batman a Riddle "You are Echo" when he asked him who's behind it. If we analyze "You are Echo", the expression can be read as "You're Echo", which is heard as "Your Echo", as in Batman's Echo, as in Bruce Wayne's Echo. Echo can also mean reflection, as in Bruce Wayne's dark reflection, as in someone who had a similar, or even the same life but then it took a dark turn, and that person may harbor some bitterness towards Bruce Wayne. This could imply towards Lincoln March, aka Thomas Wayne Jr., Bruce Wayne's alleged younger brother who was presumed to have lived one day before dying from brain damage."

But the James Jr. possibility came to mind after I was re-reading Black Mirror, and the fact that the "fathers and daughters" riddle is still unsolved, and "you are echo" can also be applied to James.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@anjales: The "fathers and daughters" riddle could refer to Cluemaster and Stephanie Brown. Cluemaster has been taken out of the picture ("dad's old news") and in Batman #28 Catwoman tells Bruce that Stephanie is the key to fixing everything.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

Guys I hate to be the one to say it but it's probably the Court of Owls or Lincoln March. I told my self I wouldn't read any of Endgame until Eternal was over. I fucking lied to myself. In the first part of Endgame Bruce, Julia and Alfred were talking in a place filled with owl decorations and seemed to be a Court hideout at one point which was being claimed by Batman. So it's a safe bet that it's owl related. Unless they pull a major plot twist in which Dick Grayson is the master mind behind most of it just get back at Bruce for decking him in the face since the Court of Owls event.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

So who's the mastermind?

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: You could be on to something there! Although I originally thought it was Lincoln March (and still think it probably is), it seems a bit too obvious, and it is strange how they introduced James Jr. for such a short time.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hugo Strange and Dr. Hurt.

Strange is a great mastermind, and hurt would work.

But Hurt is Morrison's character, and Hugo has not been hinted at much.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

It's March,expect the reveal with in the next 2 weeks.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.