Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23637 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

The Joker Won't Be in Batman 3, For Sure

• 65 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
        This is basically him standing over the DARK KNIGHT's grosses.
     This is basically him standing over the DARK KNIGHT's grosses.

The interview Christopher Nolan did with Empire to promote INCEPTION is making a lot of waves. That movie’s the one I’m looking forward to the most this summer, but it’s not Nolan’s words about that which have gotten all this attention. Of course, it’s what he’s said about BATMAN 3 and the new SUPERMAN movie. There’s a lot of quotes to wade through (at SHH and Collider) so I’ll break down the tidbits into little points for your convenience.

* The Joker won’t be recast. This really makes Heath Ledger’s death all the more a loss for audiences. It seemed like they were setting up the Joker’s return for a third movie at the end of DARK KNIGHT. I remember reading at one point that TDK was planned to be two movies, the second opening with Harvey Dent prosecuting the Joker for his trial. Two-Face’s whole acid scarring would’ve occurred there. Obviously, Ledger’s performance was so iconic that it’d really be impossible to follow it up. His presence will probably be akin to Ra's al Ghul's, now. 
    == TEASER ==

* Nolan hasn’t committed to directing BATMAN 3 yet. He’ll be producing, for sure, and his brother Jonathan’s writing the script right now off of a story they worked out with David Goyer, but Chris is wisely not dividing his attention between this movie and INCEPTION. Maybe that’s not the answer that fans want, right now, but it’s going to lead to better product in the long run. Better to do it right than force it.

* They’re keeping Superman close to his roots. Nolan says that the idea for SUPERMAN that’s got everybody at Warner Bros so excited sprang out of a discussion he and Goyer had while they were running into writer’s block for BATMAN 3. Goyer idly proposed how he’d do a Superman movie and Nolan thought it was the best take that could work in a modern context. Although, ironically, he thinks it’ll work by not straying too far from Supes’ roots in the context of the 30s and, also, that it will be better executed by somebody else (possibly his brother, Jonathan.)

* There’s no Superman/Batman crossover in their sights. Though he’s producing both movies, Nolan thinks it would dilute the nature of the characters to have them meet. He thinks the big DC characters resonate because of their individuality. He’s curious to see how Marvel’s characters’ team-ups will work, though he’s a little skeptical. If they do work, he thinks it'll be because they’re fundamentally different from DC’s.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By SoA

cant wait for either movie!

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By uncanny89

i just hope that either catwoman or poison ivy are in the next film, its about time that he faced one of his iconic female enemies i would also like the mad hatter to be there aswell 

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Pizawle

No really much info there. Oh well.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NightFang3
    @SoA said:
    " cant wait for either movie! "
                 I 2nd that
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Blackestnight1

I thought they'd go with blackmask but I think probably the riddler or catwoman would be the best suited given Nolan's grounding to reality as much as possible. Enemies like clay or bane are out. 

It just seems like they already set up a lot with the mob and the black mask could set in and fill the power void. I'd like to see the riddler myself.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By johnny_spam

I know him saying he does not believe the heroes should intertwine is something fans won't be happy about but I do think something should be said for Nolan thinking of the characters first. 

Him saying he will be keeping Superman close to the roots makes me wonder the original Superman was more concerned with the problems of the everyman and fought crooked politicians or businessmen not really supervillains.  

I personally do not want to see a villain that has already been in a movie they should use Black Mask or the original Reaper.

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By A-Strondinaire
    @Blackestnight:
    That's so true but i'm really rooting for Catwoman she would be great in this sort of movie
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I always thought this was what they would do, well at least until they get rid of Nolan as a director.

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By A-Strondinaire
    @Edamame:
    I thought i heard that somewhere
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I'm kind of glad to hear that. The character was really made iconic for the movies. It would be hard to imagine anyone else really taking on that version of the Joker. It would feel like an imitation.
    The reason Michael Gambon did so well whe he took over the reigns of Dumbledor in the Harry Potter films was that he didn't try and do it the same way. He did this own thing.

I never got the vibe that the Joker would be returning at the end of Dark Knight. It would of made Batman's moral victory at the end feel kind of pointless if it just had to happen again.

I don't understand the constant need to have the Joker be the villain. He is Baman's most iconic villain, but Batman has many. How many would translate well to this more realistic setting is the big question.
    It's like with the Arkham Asylum games. How many times does Batman have to fight the Joker before it starts to feel silly? It was perfect for the first game. I'm unsure about the second, but we will have to see.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jordanstine

With no Superman/Batman crossover in sight, does that mean no plans for a JLA film at least in the next forseeable future?

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By TheMess1428
    @Jordanstine said:
    " With no Superman/Batman crossover in sight, does that mean no plans for a JLA film at least in the next forseeable future? "
    That's what I was thinking. That's why I still think they should do this.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#17  Edited By Dracade102

Mad Hatter and Catwoman need to be in the Next one... Then; DARKSEID!!!
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#19  Edited By Dracade102
    @Edamame said:
    " @Dracade102 said:
    "
    Mad Hatter and Catwoman need to be in the Next one... Then; DARKSEID!!! "
    Can Mad Hatter be made realistic though? "

Being a Delusional WayneTech Worker obsessing over Lewis Carol Books and Little Girls named Alice Isn't Realistic? That's only a small step away from being my Uncle Jim!!! xDDD
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@Edamame: yes
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By blade hunter

shame about the joker.

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By goldenkey

Just like people thought that Jacks Joker couldn't be replaced, Ledgers Joker can also.  Before the movie was being filmed there was an uproar (myself included) about the Joker being cast by Ledger.  There are plenty of people out that that can be done up to look like Heath as the Joker and imitated.  What a shame.  I think people would complain for sure if someone did imitate the Joker but if the movie was well done like the DK was then you'd have less people complaining, like they did when DK came out and it was good.  Everyone stopped complaining.  Nolan screwed up by killing Harvey Dent because Heath died.  DK was good but it didn't really give us a chance to see Harvey as we all know him.  How he went from be the top DA to a villian that ruled Gotham and how it ate up Bruce Wayne.  We wouldn't need the Joker if Dent wasn't dead, now we're wondering how thye're gonna do the Riddler and make it work. 
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Moomin123

I knew Joker wouldn't be re-casted, no-one will ever top Heath Ledger. However, I heard a rumour that old stock footage of the Joker in the Dark Knight may be used, because they were deleted scenes so no-one ever saw them. However, if this did happen, the Joker would probably only have a cameo. 
    I want David Tennant to play the Riddler in this film and I want Emily Blunt as Catwoman. Then all Chris Nolan needs to do is shake his magic, film-making hands.
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MKF30

@Foxxfireart, Thing is with video games you can get away with doing the same thing over and over again with slight differences and new things introduced(we've seen it for YEARS with Mario to fighters to adventure games) 

However, with a movie you can't really do that without being criticized for it and obviously if people are paying 30 bucks+ to see a movie, people do not want to waste their time. At least with a game you can get your money back or trade it in for credit...lol you can't really do that with a movie in theatres, it's either a bust or not by that point.  

To sum it up in a nutshell, movies and video games may be similiar in some aspects but very different overall...

Personally, I think this is interesting news. I'm not so hung up on the whole "OMG Joker MUST be in a Batman movie" like others mentioned, he has quite a few people in his rogue gallery of villians lol.  

As for Superman movie, you know he won't change but question is what kind of battles will he be fighting? Political ones? War? Super Villian? Lex? Also like Bats, quite a few options.  

The only remote news I'm a little disappointed in hearing with this interview is the fact that nolan seems so against Batman/Superman in one picture, I think this would be rad personally....I don't see how it would take away from either of them being as how they're the two most popular comicbook characters to begin with already....even if it's for like 5 minutes or 3 times in a 2 and half hour movie...

ManuelPrez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27  Edited By ManuelPrez

in the future I want to see the joker again. maybe we get the   Arkham Asylum s toryline without the titan formula.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Theodore

Black Mask is the best choice for the next villain.

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

so will nolan's superman take place during the 30s??

conformist21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By conformist21

Joker's performance in TDK was nowhere near to being iconic, people just are hung up on the death and mere presence of the Joker. Although it was a good performance.
    Let's hope this goes well, with news rumbling on rumors 

who knows how it'll go.
    Here's to hope.
    Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By Silver Knight75
    WHAT THE HELL!?!
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bruce Vain

I love how he's doing both Batman & Superman. I hope he gets Tom Welling in it. 

But I disagree with him trying to make them in seperate worlds. Thats where WB's should tell him no. It should be in the same world.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By sora_thekey

Hmmm... This is a wait an see situation... although recent Batman flicks haven't disappointed yet!

Day Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Day Hunter

Dang, thats sad about Joker. I mean don't get me wrong Heath was/is amazing both in the role and just all over as an actor but I'd still like to see the joker return later on in Nolan's series. :(

brendon277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By brendon277

you know it's a real shame Heith Ledger had to pass away because he made that Batman movie into a masterpiece well at least His row but he played a really good Joker

Avatar image for themanofsteel456
    TheManOfSteel456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheManOfSteel456

Jesus whats so good about his Joker anyway? The only reason people like it is cause the actor died. Boo-Hoo. Get over it. Actors can be replaced. And it wasn't Heath doing all of that, that wasn't Heath's ideas. It was the writers. So easily, HEath could be replaced with the same writers. 

Honestly, I think Nicholas Cage should have played Joker. His performance in Bad Leiutenant explains why.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#37  Edited By ImperiousRix

Wow, The Dark Knight was supposed to be two movies?  I guess it makes sense considering how quickly they introduce Two-Face, only to get rid of him shortly after.   
    A shame, I woulda liked to see the movie that revolved around him.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#38  Edited By The_Martian

Well this is both good news and bad news. I guess I can't be too upset about that.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FLStyle

I own said Empire issue and I'm going to give it a good read this weekend.

Marius138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By Marius138
    @TheManOfSteel456 said:
    " Jesus whats so good about his Joker anyway? The only reason people like it is cause the actor died. Boo-Hoo. Get over it. Actors can be replaced. And it wasn't Heath doing all of that, that wasn't Heath's ideas. It was the writers. So easily, HEath could be replaced with the same writers.  Honestly, I think Nicholas Cage should have played Joker. His performance in Bad Leiutenant explains why. "
    Actually Heath Ledger brought a lot to the role that was entirely his own style.  He spent a month living alone coming up with the characteristics we saw in the movie, and while doing it he reviewed story arcs like The Killing Joke to guide him.  I highly doubt you would have seen that level of dedication from most actors.  And there were even a few scenes that were done entirely by him with no outside influence from what I understand. 

I'm not saying that they couldn't get someone else to play the Joker well, but show Heath some respect, he did a great job.
    Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

I think it's a smart move.

KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 42

#42  Edited By KNIGHT SAVIOR

can't wait for either films
    G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By G Bird

I'd like to see Batman go up against Bane on the big screen.... it could happen. Deadshot would be cool to see too.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44  Edited By jakob187

Greatest caption ever on that picture!!!

lonefang6x6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lonefang6x6

who's gonna play Superman?

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By Dark Cell

"he thinks it'll be because they’re fundamentally different from DC’s"   

true, true he has a point there. 

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ComicStooge

it will be called  Shadow Of The Bat

Omegaman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Omegaman10

catwoman would be a nice touch to the third movie. Didnt really expect a joker after the dark kNight...to be honest i cant see anyone really replacing heath ledger. Black mask would also be a sweet addition to the mpovie
    RiddlingGambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RiddlingGambit

No Joker recast is great news, & Superman in a 30s context would be interesting.

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Aquamariner

"   He thinks the big DC characters resonate because of their individuality. He’s curious to see how Marvel’s characters’ team-ups will work, though he’s a little skeptical. If they do work, he thinks it'll be because they’re fundamentally different from DC’s"  

---Gotta love Nolan. 

So, I was not even close to being born in the 30's... can somebody explain to me how that Superman is different from the current one? 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.