The Greatest Comic Book Film Ever

Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm bored and depressed, so what does that mean? PERFECT TIME FOR BLOGGING :D

And so, I looked over my comic collections, action figures and dvds searching for a topic to blog about when I came upon the best comic film of all time, one which many may not regard as the greatest, and I thought to myself; "**** it, I'll right about that". And so here we go, my analysis and reasoning behind why the following film is not only the best film based on the Heavenly medium that is comic books, but also one of the best films ever crafted in general. And no, it's not The Dark Knight

When looking at a film, one must take many factors into consideration. But you're not an idiot, you know this, so I'll firstly provide a very vague explanation as to what made this film so brilliant. 

Primarily, this film is an emotional character study at its core. Sure, there is a decent plot and a phenomenal side cast, but the primary focus lies solely on one character and what motivates them. However, this isn't an origin story. It is, fundamentally, a story about loneliness and hopelessness. This film takes us to the inner most depths of a person's pain and anguish, and then takes us even further. The action is, of course, great, this is a comic book film, but that all, if you'll excuse the awful 50's saying, plays second fiddle to the motivations of this sole character. The film is about self-actualisation, and the idea that one event does not define a person, but that one event can cause a person to define themselves. 
The acting, music and presentation are all top-notch, and the writing is elegant and well-paced. In fact, this film does more in 70 minutes than The Dark Knight does in 150. 

Guessed it yet? There can, after all, be only one true contender;

Bruce Wayne's parents were murdered before his eyes and so he decided to become a dark omen of the night in the guise of a bat and fight crime. It's the most well-known origin story in comics (with the exception of Superman's), but it does leave one wanting more. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm shows us the man Bruce became after his parents death; a Harbinger of Loneliness. He had defined himself as an island, in a direct contrast to Meditation XVII. Happiness, love, companionship; these were concepts alien to the Wayne heir, his sole purpose in life was now to prevent what had happened to him from ever happening again. How would he accomplish this? Through fear. 

But you know all this, it's standard Bruce-Batman origin story stuff. What Phantasm shows us is that Bruce had a chance at happiness. He fell in love with a charismatic and beautiful young woman by the name of Andrea Beaumont. And through fate or chance, she was stolen from him. Bruce's single chance at redemption was gone, and with that, Bruce Wayne lost the final vestiges of hope. And when there is no hope, Batman gives us hope. 

Ok, I'm tired. I'm going to stop there. =)
#1 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Good summary, and it is a pretty good movie.

#2 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this movie back in the day. Still holds up amongst the newer releases as well.

#3 Posted by Princess_Marie (259 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting stuff :)

#4 Posted by Big (330 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't lose hope, he simply realizes that this woman was a lost battle in an ongoing war with evil. He cut loose what he couldn't control, which even for Batman, is a sane move.
#5 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont know about this one...Under the Red Hood was better. Maybe I need to watch this again

#6 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Under the Red Hood. But yes this one was also epic

#7 Posted by jasraj (4728 posts) - - Show Bio
The Dark Knight was the best comic book movie, not Mask Of Phantasm, IMO
#8 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Ignoring box office and only taking into account EXECUTION: Watchmen.

#9 Posted by yankeemanf (192 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone:  watchmen was prob the best comic book adaptation but not the best comic book movie 2 me that is eitha batman begins or the dark knight

#10 Posted by jasraj (4728 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  
 IMO, TDK is far better than MOP, and I don't think MOP is one of the best movies ever made, theres the godfather, the shawshank redemption etc
@yankeemanf:
TDK is my faviourte Comic Book movie, and BB is second 

#11 Posted by Icon (2077 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this film was a lot better than the live action Batman movies of the time, but "greatest comic book film ever" is completely subjective. Why not just admit that it's your favourite for the reasons above (which are all good) and leave it at that? Anyone can point at any good film and say it is the greatest ever if they want to but all they are really saying is it's their favourite. 

#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
"Ignoring box office and only taking into account EXECUTION: Watchmen. "

I agree with this, I place it #1 on the live-action comic films.  

@Icon:

From a purely technical standpoint, MotP is the best. Which is why I can say that. Sure, comments such as things being the greatest are usually subjective, but from a purely film studying perspective, MotP is the best.  

Phantasm suffered no inherent flaws in its design. It was executed perfectly. The direction, animation and casting were all perfect, and the shorter running time meant that it could be enjoyed moreso than endured, such as lengthier films like the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Though I do understand what you're saying.   

For the record; Neon Genesis Evangelion: the End of Evangelion is the greatest film ever.  

#13 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Neon Genesis Evangelion?? Wah??? NO WAY.

The Avengers. With Legally Blonde a close second....

**runs**

#14 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64:I'll agree with you! Mask of the phantasm was a great movie, but till now my favourite is Under the Red Hood.

#15 Posted by ComicKID777 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

avengers as proven by being a box office hit a dvd an blu ray sales hit an overall positive reviews.

#16 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Legally Blonde has more rewatch value than Avengers.

#17 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

not better than TDK but still very good

#18 Posted by TheCannon (18721 posts) - - Show Bio

It's overrated. There are so many better films.

#19 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

While great it gets edged out of #1 by Batman Beyond Return of the Joker.

#20 Posted by TDK_1997 (14895 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite animated one should be actually Under the Red Hood and live action is TDK.

#21 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

Wolverine Origins?

#22 Posted by TheCannon (18721 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: That is a truly amazing film, but it's not the greatest. 100x better than Mask of the Phantasm though.

#23 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

#24 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@TheCannon said:

Wolverine Origins?

@TheCannon said:

@John Valentine: That is a truly amazing film, but it's not the greatest. 100x better than Mask of the Phantasm though.

What the f***

#25 Posted by Nightwing4 (364 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Justice League: The New Frontier was a good tribute.

#26 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

Ignoring box office and only taking into account EXECUTION: Watchmen.

That's probably the best adaption for me.

#27 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Eh, it's true. Avengers is great the first time, then after that, the flat characters, explosions and generic one-liners kind of lose their shine.

And to also use a gif from that marvelous show;

#28 Posted by Inverno (13221 posts) - - Show Bio

I am disappointed by the lack of mention of Watchmen.

#29 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat: Well, the thing about Watchmen is that it's marvelous, and a terrific adaptation, but it didn't introduce anything all that new. Mask of the Phantasm was an original idea, presented in an original way and that gave us new insight into a character that's as old as the hills.

Watchmen is probably a better film, but it's not a better comic book film. Does that make sense? o-O

#30 Posted by Teerack (6293 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated that movie.

#31 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack: That's OK, it doesn't like you either. ^__^

#32 Posted by Inverno (13221 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@CaioTrubat: Well, the thing about Watchmen is that it's marvelous, and a terrific adaptation, but it didn't introduce anything all that new. Mask of the Phantasm was an original idea, presented in an original way and that gave us new insight into a character that's as old as the hills.

Watchmen is probably a better film, but it's not a better comic book film. Does that make sense? o-O

Yeah it does :P I understand your argument. The thing is, while Mask of the Phantasm's concept is brilliant, it has been unfortunately redone to death in countless times in the comics following the movie.

#33 Posted by Highlander_615 (212 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

This sentence is wrong in so many levels...

#34 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Mask of the Phantasm? ROFL.

Sorry, I just can't take those cartoon movies seriously and neither can the general public. So for a select circle of Bruce Timm fanboys, yes, I guess it could be considered the greatest comic book movie of all time. But to anyone outside that circle, it sounds ridiculous.

#35 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6172 posts) - - Show Bio

Live action is in between Avengers and Dark Knight(not saying Avengers is as good as DK just faithful to the source like it a little). Animated Batman Under the Redhood.

#36 Posted by RustyRoy (12715 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the best comic book movies of all time (TDK is still the best IMO but MotP is close) and the best animated superhero movie tied with The Incredibles.

#37 Posted by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

I think The Dark Knight and Mask of the Phantasm are the two best comic book films ever

#38 Posted by Jayc1324 (12226 posts) - - Show Bio

The dark knight was the best. The avengers was good, but wasn't serious enough for me. It was filled with corny jokes and hero bickering, and the story wasn't anything special

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.