Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

The ending to Azzarello's Broken City

Darunia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darunia

I've just read this story and generally enjoyed it, but the last pages confused me somewhat. First Batman visits the Joker, who only tells him that the real killer of the couple is still out there (something Batman should know by now since Angel proved himself unable to shoot anyone), then Bats proceeds to search the sewers for the murder weapon, eventually finding it in the water. Then we immediately cut to the hospital, where it's revealed the son himself is the killer. This all came very sudden and even though I can live with the outcome itself, how the ending was presented was kinda shaky. It's also never explained why Batman knew immediately that the kid did it.. Or there's a time jump and Bats searched the thing for prints first... I don't know, but it all felt really unsatisfying to me. The inclusion of the Joker in the end also seemed kinda pointless.

Any thoughts?

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By johnny_spam

The Kid did it? I didn't know that I assumed Angel killed the kid's parents then dropped the gun in the sewers Batman found it and gave it to the kid.

Darunia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Darunia

'Everything I'd done in the past few days... I'd done for the wrong boy'

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By johnny_spam

I thought he was talking about himself. Shit I should read it again.

Agent355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Agent355

Azzarello is a really creative writer but, like he did towards the end of 100 Bullets, he tends to leave some things wide open and if he just tightened them up a little it would make the piece that much stronger.  "Broken City" was nothing knew.  The best part was when that guy bumped into Agent Graves.  That was awesome.  But the story overall was nothing to write home about (or the art work for that matter, and this is Eduardo Risso we're talking about).

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By mordecaix7

I hate to resurrect this old thread, but I just read Broken City for the first time and was confused as well. I was leaning toward the conclusion the kid killed his own parents but the way everything was worded didn't seem to completely fit. Is "the kid is the killer" the accepted ending?

superbatprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By superbatprime

There's confusion over this?

He picks up the gun in the sewers and casts his mind back to the shooting, he knows that there were only two people in that alley that could have pulled the trigger... The knowledge that Lupo was a criminal meant he had never even considered the other possibility but Angel had already been discounted so that left...the kid.

He takes the gun and goes to the hospital hoping he's wrong, puts the gun in front of the kid... who promptly picks it up and starts squeezing off dry shots.

The case is solved, another broken child in the broken city.

Honestly I never felt any confusion over this, the writing demands the reader to make a deduction.. hardly unreasonable in a Batman story.

I for one don't like to have every conclusion spoonfed to me.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

Been meaning to read this. Love Azz and don't mind open endings.
    BB

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.