Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

The definitive ranking of all Batman movies list!

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Fact is this list is perfect, though I don't care whether Batman Begins comes before the Dark Knight or vice versa this list is perfect! Do you agree with this list?

Warner Bros.

Holy superhero milestones, Batman! Exactly 25 years ago today, Tim Burton’s Batman hit theaters, with Michael Keaton as the famed superhero and Jack Nicholson as his nemesis, the Joker. In honor of this big anniversary, we’ve definitively ranked the live-action movies that feature the Caped Crusader. We’ll have to wait until 2016 see how Ben Affleck and Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice fit in with the rest of Batman’s filmography.

8. Batman & Robin

Share this image:

rebloggy.com

This is the one where there were nipples on the Batsuit. There is a lot more that’s wrong with this movie (read: everything), but what you mostly need to know is that there were nipples on the Batsuit.

7. Batman Forever

Share this image:

superherohype.com

The best thing you can say about Batman Forever is that at least it wasn’t as bad as Batman & Robin. After Tim Burton left the franchise and Joel Shumacher took over, everything pretty much went downhill. Forever also suffered from a lackluster new Batman. Val Kilmer tried his hardest but still never really got there.

6. Batman: The Movie

Share this image:

giphy.com

The original incarnation of Batman on the big screen has to be taken with a grain of salt. It was spun off perhaps one of the campiest TV shows of all time in 1966, and it was really meant to be campy. It embraced its humor and silliness without going over the top, something Schumacher never learned.

5. The Dark Knight Rises

Share this image:

culturallydisoriented.wordpress.com

A lot of you might disagree with this one, but The Dark Knight Rises is an extremely disappointing film, in no way rising (pun intended) to the genius of the two films that came before it in Christopher Nolan’s trilogy. And it’s not hard to see why, what with Bane’s indecipherable voice, the bloated length and the serious lack of actual Batman action. Rises was a valiant effort, but ultimately not enough worked.

4. Batman

Share this image:

gifrific.com

You can thank (or blame) Tim Burton’s groundbreaking 1989 film for our pop-culture obsession with Batman. This gritty and dark film was a whole new take on the idea of the superhero movie, nothing like the Superman or Batman movies that had come before it. And it didn’t hurt to have Jack Nicholson’s unforgettable performance as the Joker, years before Heath Ledger tried on the part.

3. Batman Returns

Share this image:

rebloggy.com

Tim Burton took the idea of bigger is better to heart with his Batman sequel, creating a darker, scarier Gotham that sent kids crying out of movie theaters. But darkness is Burton’s element and it worked, whether it was Danny DeVito’s seriously terrifying Penguin or Michelle Pfeiffer’s iconic Catwoman (sorry, Anne Hathaway).

2. Batman Begins

Share this image:

cwacharacter.wikia.com

Considering how many times we’ve seen some superheroes’ origin stories at this point (cough, Spider-Man, cough), it’s a little surprising to realize that no one told Batman’s before Christopher Nolan came around. And thank goodness he did. Batman Begins had just about everything going for it, and it would be the best if it weren’t for…

1. The Dark Knight

Share this image:

comicvine.com

Was there ever another choice? Probably the best superhero movie ever made, The Dark Knight is a modern classic, a pop-culture phenomenon and everything that a Batman movie needs to be.

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2014/06/23/batman-tim-burton-the-dark-knight-definitive-ranking/

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't agree.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree thought im pretty sure will agree with master detective

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Valdemocnij
    Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Valdemocnij

And one is sure... we will get best Batman movie, when someone decide to put a some of Batman monster villains in that movie... Killer Croc, Man-Bat... !

Avatar image for hauntedgraveyard
    HauntedGraveyard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HauntedGraveyard

This is all my opinion. If anyone disagrees that is fine.

"Batman and Robin": It was horrible. I did like that Bane used venom in the movie, but didn't like how much they disrespected the characters. There are too many things wrong with this movie to list.

"Batman Forever": I don't think it was a horrible movie. It did have some horrible lines but it had the best fight scenes in the whole quadrilogy and the best Batsuit of any older live-action Batmans films. It also has my favorite Batcave and favorite batmobile in any of the live-action Batman films. Two-Face was out of character in some parts of the movie. The batmobile going up the wall was cool until I started thinking about it: So it attaches to a statue and drives up a wall. Ok, so lets say he destroys the statue by running into it instead of crashing...than what? Does the Batmobile just go straight up in the air? I mean it has to come back down eventually.

"Batman: The Movie": I watched it once and have no plans to watch it again. I enjoyed it when I saw it.

TDKR: I kind of enjoyed it when I saw it, but noticed a lot of flaws. I like BR atmosphere better. This and BF have my favorite fight scenes in it though. As far as the vehicles go, I will say out of all the Batman movies made, they were probably the most durable. Another thing I didn't like about this movie is that too many scenes took place during the daytime.

Batman: I enjoyed this movie when I saw it and rewatched it and still enjoy it. I can understand that some people don't like that Joker killed Wayne's parents. The batmobile is pretty cool too.

Batman Returns: Has the best atmosphere, however I wish Batman would have had more screentime.

Batman Begins: I enjoyed it when I saw it and still enjoy it. There are things I don't like about this film such as there being no Batmobile. Instead, we get a tank; Bruce Wayne not being a genius. But I enjoyed the atmosphere in some parts of the movie. This and BF are my two favorite Batman films. I thought that this was the best of the trilogy.

The Dark Knight: I enjoyed it more than Batman Begins when I first saw it, but as time went on I enjoyed Batman Begins more and I enjoy TDK more than TDKR. Batman 89s joker and TDK joker are a tie for me. I like them both.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller: Burton's Batman threw away core elements of the character because... There was no reason, really.

Batman returns is horrible, second only to Batman and Robin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I agree completely.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Batman Begins is the best to me.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller: Burton's Batman threw away core elements of the character because... There was no reason, really.

Ehh that's your opinion. I enjoyed both films.

@ultrastarkiller: What Keaton and Nicholson doing/search on fourth place ?

Hey I didn't make the list lol. I do agree with it though.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller:

1. The Dark Knight

2. Batman Begins

3. Batman....

4 ...doesn't matter

5 ...doesn't matte

6 ...doesn't matte

7/8. Batman & Robin

8/7. Batman Forever

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Begins is the only movie from the Nolan trilogy I liked.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RustyRoy
    1. Batman Begins/The Dark Knight
    2. Batman
    3. The Dark Knight Rises
    4. Batman Forever
    5. Batman Returns
    6. Batman and Robin
    Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kumquatodor said:

No, Burton DID throw away core elements for no reason; that is a provable fact. Batman Returns is terrible, too.

Whether or not you enjoyed it is irrelevant to "the definitive ranking". If it is based enjoyment, then it is not "definitive".

Now, if you don't agree, we can discuss it.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:

No, Burton DID throw away core elements for no reason; that is a provable fact. Batman Returns is terrible, too.

Whether or not you enjoyed it is irrelevant to "the definitive ranking". If it is based enjoyment, then it is not "definitive".

Ok sure.
    First off, what core elements did he throw away? Batman murdered people in both, Bruce Wayne was a weird recluse in both. What core elements where there in the first place. I honestly can't remember any. So please tell me *not being sarcastic*.

Secondly, I don't think it's a fact Batman Returns was bad because it scored an 81% on Rotten Tomatoes. Batman 1989 received a low 70.

Third, I didn't make the list. lol

Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kumquatodor said:
    @ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:

Ok sure.

First off, what core elements did he throw away? Batman murdered people in both, Bruce Wayne was a weird recluse in both. What core elements where there in the first place. I honestly can't remember any. So please tell me *not being sarcastic*.

Secondly, I don't think it's a fact Batman Returns was bad because it scored an 81% on Rotten Tomatoes. Batman 1989 received a low 70.

Core Elements Burton threw away (for no reason):

Batman never murders. Ever.

Bruce Wayne is a playboy.

Joker has no true origin.

The Waynes are killed in a random act of violence.

Batman is a great martial artist.

Batman/Joker are almost friends.

You could say that he was copying the original comics, but I can point out the flaws in that argument, should you wish.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

On Batman Returns:

Why is Kyle crazy?

Why do penguins live in the sewers?

Why does Penguin appear right now, when it's convenient? Why not after Catwoman appears, or before?

What does Kyle want?

What does Penguin want?

Why does Penguin run for mayor?

Why do the people like him? He appear out of nowhere and saved a baby? Well, there are so many plot-holes here.

Why does Shrek trust Penguin?

Why does Penguin trust Shrek?

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:
    @ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:

Ok sure.

You could say that he was copying the original comics, but I can point out the flaws in that argument, should you wish.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

On Batman Returns:

Why is Kyle crazy?

Why does Penguin appear right now, when it's convenient? Why not after Catwoman appears, or before?

What does Kyle want?

What does Penguin want?

Why do the people like him? He appear out of nowhere and saved a baby? Well, there are so many plot-holes here.

Wait I'm so confused are you taking about the core elements that he threw out in Batman Returns that were there in Batman 1989 or are you just talking nit picking reasons you don't like the movie?

Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kumquatodor said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:
    @ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:

Ok sure.

On Batman Returns:

Why is Kyle crazy?

What does Kyle want?

What does Penguin want?

Wait I'm so confused are you taking about the core elements that he threw out in Batman Returns that were there in Batman 1989 or are you just talking nit picking reasons you don't like the movie?

In the first, I'm pointing out things Burton needlessly ignored.

In the second, I'm pointing out legitimate problems.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@kumquatodor said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:
    @ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:

Ok sure.

On Batman Returns:

Why is Kyle crazy?

What does Kyle want?

What does Penguin want?

Edit: Oh ok I thought you meant he threw out core elements that he established in Batman 1989 not core Batman elements.

But for the Returns points it seems like nit picking. It's just Burton's different take on these characters. It works in this Batman universe. Similar to how Ra's trained Batman in Batman Begins that has no similarity to the comics but it works in that universe.

P.S IIRC Penguin ran for mayor to gain fame/love from the people which was his weird goal the whole time.

That part about him saving the baby does have alot of plot holes (what's he doing in the sewer in the first place would be most peoples first though)

I don't think Shrek trust anybody.

Cause he believed he could make him famous/loved

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@ultrastarkiller: It's not nitpicking at all,he raised perfectly valid points particularly with regards to Batman Returns.

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

Batman Begins

Batman

Batman Returns

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@entropy_aegis said:

@ultrastarkiller: It's not nitpicking at all,he raised perfectly valid points particularly with regards to Batman Returns.

I misunderstood him and his points were valid. But in response to his Bamtan Returns points, most of the points can be answered by the movie it's self.

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

Batman Begins

Batman

Batman Returns

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin.

Hey, I respect people's opinions but, you would put Rises before Batman Begins?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller: Yes,it IS better so why shouldn't I?

Cause Batman Begins is better. Imo and I would think alot of people would agree Rises was a disappointment.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

Cause Batman Begins is better. Imo and I would think alot of people would agree Rises was a disappointment.

Every major poll and ranking has Rises above Begins,that's a fact.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@kumquatodor: Hey sorry for pestering you on here lol. I'll concede for now seeing as my entire argument was based on how I thought you meant Batman Returns threw out key elements that Batman 1989 had established, which wasn't what you meant lol. My bad.

@entropy_aegis said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Granted Begins didn't get as great reviews, and in most polls Rises beat it, but I doubt this list is based off the reviews it got other wise it would be in your order. Though I'm still confident that many will agree with me that Rises was the weakest of the trilogy despite reviews and the billion dollars (cause I think it was just floating off the success of TDK, similar to Ironman 3).

P.S every poll I looked at Rises was beating Begins except for this site where Begins always beats Rises.

Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kumquatodor said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:
    @ultrastarkiller said:

@kumquatodor said:

Ok sure.

On Batman Returns:

Why is Kyle crazy?

What does Kyle want?

What does Penguin want?

Edit: Oh ok I thought you meant he threw out core elements that he established in Batman 1989 not core Batman elements.

But for the Returns points it seems like nit picking. It's just Burton's different take on these characters. It works in this Batman universe. Similar to how Ra's trained Batman in Batman Begins that has no similarity to the comics but it works in that universe.

P.S IIRC Penguin ran for mayor to gain fame/love from the people which was his weird goal the whole time.

That part about him saving the baby does have alot of plot holes (what's he doing in the sewer in the first place would be most peoples first though)

I don't think Shrek trust anybody.

Cause he believed he could make him famous/loved

This is not an "interpretation" because the core of the character was thrown away for no reason!

Batman being trained by Ra's doesn't change anything about the core of the character. He is the same guy.

If he wanted fame, why kill every 1st born child? And say vulgar things? And all but mock the city? And BITE THE GUY'S NOSE!?

Sorry if I came out as a bit agressive. Burton's movies just get on my nerves for being so loved despite being undeserving.

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Returns at 3....PERFECTION SIR!!!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By entropy_aegis

@kumquatodor: Agreed that first born plan was dumb as hell.

@kumquatodor: Hey sorry for pestering you on here lol. I'll concede for now seeing as my entire argument was based on how I thought you meant Batman Returns threw out key elements that Batman 1989 had established, which wasn't what you meant lol. My bad.

@entropy_aegis said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Granted Begins didn't get as great reviews, and in most polls Rises beat it, but I doubt this list is based off the reviews it got other wise it would be in your order. Though I'm still confident that many will agree with me that Rises was the weakest of the trilogy despite reviews and the billion dollars (cause I think it was just floating off the success of TDK, similar to Ironman 3).

P.S every poll I looked at Rises was beating Begins except for this site where Begins always beats Rises.

This site has by far the largest amount of Batman haters,this site also dislikes Nolan,this site often shows love for garbage comics(Death of the Family),this site always bitches every time Warner/DC announces new project,sorry if I dont take this site seriously.

I could also just was easily say that TDK was floating off the Ledger hype train,doesn't matter the movies got good reviews and hence deserved to make all the money they did.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@entropy_aegis: That's pretty much the whole internet lol.

And ya I guess

@kumquatodor: Penguins core character is that he is a rich little sh*t who gets mad when he doesn't get his way. Lol everything but the rich was there.

I have no answer to those things but getting fame/being liked was his motivation.

Its fine lol I don't even love the Burton movies I just enjoy them (Nolans my guy). If you read my edit you'll see this debate was based off a misunderstanding on my part. lol

OCKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard for me to rank the Nolan trilogy, they were all just so incredible. If I had to do it though, it would be TDK, Begins, TDK Rises. Don't get me wrong I loved Rises and I think it is superb, but the other two are just on a whole different level. Begins had the origin story intertwined with a great performance from Neeson in Ras, TDK had the most iconic villain in a portrayal that will be remembered forever, as well as a dark take on the descent of Harvey Dent, although I was somewhat disappointed at how little screentime he got as Two Face. I'm going to go ahead and take this chance to defend TDK Rises though as it was awesome, and they did a good job tying everything together with Bane and Talia. It also presented the greatest threat in the trilogy, and it had the coolest bat vehicle IMO. I think the first two (TDK in particular) just did a better job of telling a story though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.