Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

THE Batman writer?

• 62 results
    CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By CuddleBear

Poll THE Batman writer? (66 votes)

Denny O'Neil 21%
    Frank Miller 24%
    Grant Morrison 41%
    Scott Snyder 12%
     • 
    Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51  Edited By Tikbaz

@baneofdemon22:

Cool to see that we agree! I'm a fan of Dixon and Barr, too.

@rustyroy said:

@tikbaz: Btw have you watched Batman Brave and the Bold?

Indeed I have good sir, along with The Batman and Beware The Batman. To your point, Batman Brave and the Bold is awesome! It doesn't receive as many nods as B:TAS does; it's not as iconic for example, but man, my daughter (she's 6) and I can sit down and watch the Brave and the Bold together and laugh at Aquaman and Blue Beetle all day. Like the West version of Batman, Brave and the Bold is just good dumb fun with epic action. Love it.

The Batman is pretty good after you get past the first couple of seasons, and the first two seasons are by no means unwatchable.

I hated the art direction on Beware The Batman, but in later episodes the story lines really picked up. Shame it got cancelled.

Completely agree with this, Batman has many different interpretations and I like all of them except Johns' version.

Yeah, Johns' version isn't exactly my favorite version either, but it is what it is. Eventually, someone else will take over on writing Justice League (I would LOVE if Morrison came back, Tomasi would be great as well), and hopefully that individual will be more respectful of Batman's portrayal, as well as everyone else's. I would hate for the next person to write an amazing Batman while also writing the worst version of Wonder Woman ever, for example. Maybe even Tom Taylor would be a good fit...

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikbaz said:

@baneofdemon22:

Cool to see that we agree! I'm a fan of Dixon and Barr, too.

@rustyroy said:

@tikbaz: Btw have you watched Batman Brave and the Bold?

Indeed I have good sir, along with The Batman and Beware The Batman. To your point, Batman Brave and the Bold is awesome! It doesn't receive as many nods as B:TAS does; it's not as iconic for example, but man, my daughter (she's 6) and I can sit down and watch the Brave and the Bold together and laugh at Aquaman and Blue Beetle all day. Like the West version of Batman, Brave and the Bold is just good dumb fun with epic action. Love it.

The Batman is pretty good after you get past the first couple of seasons, and the first two seasons are by no means unwatchable.

I hated the art direction on Beware The Batman, but in later episodes the story lines really picked up. Shame it got cancelled.

Completely agree with this, Batman has many different interpretations and I like all of them except Johns' version.

Yeah, Johns' version isn't exactly my favorite version either, but it is what it is. Eventually, someone else will take over on writing Justice League (I would LOVE if Morrison came back, Tomasi would be great as well), and hopefully that individual will be more respectful of Batman's portrayal, as well as everyone else's. I would hate for the next person to write an amazing Batman while also writing the worst version of Wonder Woman ever, for example. Maybe even Tom Taylor would be a good fit...

Brave and the bold is my second favorite Batman animated series, love it. I remember watching the first two seasons of The Batman, I liked it back then but I have to rewatch it. And I am one of the few on this site who likes Beware the Batman, the show was doomed to cancel before it even aired due to negative reaction of the fans.

I dropped John's JL after #16-17 not just because his portrayal of Batman but his stories were bad, dialogues were corny, his characterization of almost every character was bad, Superman was flying brick, WW behaved like a teenage girl, GL was a show off, Flash was Batman fanboy with no personality. Yeah I would love to see Morrison as the JL writer, his characterization of every character was great and he didn't make any character look bad to make another character look good. One fan here said that Johns gives every character one arc to shine but this is a team book, the team altogether should be written well, that's what Morrison did, in each of his story arcs you can see that every character gets a chance to shine and Morrison's JL was a team of world's greatest heroes and they acted like it, can't say the same for Johns' JL from what I've read. I think Tomasi will be great as the JL writer but I don't think Johns will let anyone other that himself write JL for another 4-5 years. I didn't like Johns Earth One Batman either, one of worst characterization of Batman I've ever read although his version of Alfred and Bullock were fun to read. Btw I like Dixon and Barr too, Son of the Demon is one of my favorite stories.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Batman Brave and the Bold is my second favorite Batman animated series as well, but I didn't like the others unfortunately. Aquaman is just outrageous!

The greatest quote from that show:

“I always thought Batman was best suited as a gritty urban crime detective, but now you guys have him fighting Santa’s, and Easter Bunnies!? I’m sorry, but that’s not my Batman.”

Morrison's JLA is fantastic! I never cared for the Justice League until I read his run. It made sense for the heroes to team up to take out bigger threats, but I always thought it make them far less competent in order to balance such powerful characters. Morrison pulled it off!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Batman Brave and the Bold is my second favorite Batman animated series as well, but I didn't like the others unfortunately. Aquaman is just outrageous!

The greatest quote from that show:

“I always thought Batman was best suited as a gritty urban crime detective, but now you guys have him fighting Santa’s, and Easter Bunnies!? I’m sorry, but that’s not my Batman.”

Morrison's JLA is fantastic! I never cared for the Justice League until I read his run. It made sense for the heroes to team up to take out bigger threats, but I always thought it make them far less competent in order to balance such powerful characters. Morrison pulled it off!

Aquaman was my second favorite character after Batman in the show. And that quote perfectly describes majority of the fans now. I agree with on Morrison's JLA, it was my favorite run about a team, I miss reading stories about the main JL, I'm reading JLU by Lemire right now, its doesn't have the main JL members except Martian Manhunter but I'm loving it.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Experio

Morrison

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The heck is with this list.

No Paul Dini, Chuck Dixon, Alan Grant, Jeph Loeb, Greg Rucka, Mike W. Barr who Morrison has said he is his biggest influence, Ed Brubaker,Steve Englehart, etc...

Those are the easy choices, but ONeil and Englehart are better writers that Morrison.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Morrison.

DJPrince831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DJPrince831

Why do so many people like/love Morrison? Denny brought Batman back, Frank cemented it, and I think Synder saw what was there, and fitted into things, and tweaked it for a slight new take. Morrison has done some good stuff, and I think would be great stuff but ever Batman I've read from him, I feel like he wrote it on LSD, and frankly I don't want that, and it can be hard to figure out how to read it.

Batmaniac007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
    deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Denny O'Neil from this list

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ZariusII

@djprince831: Morrison writes everything on LSD. His recreational and experimental drug use is widely known.

GothamCitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Batgod, horsepuncher, grimdarkbat, or... Denny... I guess Denny.

This is my answer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.