Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

The Batman Will Be Waiting

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By OracleX

Let me just first off say that I hate the guy. I hate the guy responsible for killing at 12 people and 50 others at a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora Colorado. I refuse give his name.

I hate him because he made people afraid of going to the movies. I him hate for taking the lives of innocent people who came out late at night to see a piece of cinematic history.

For the next couple weeks talking heads will be spinning stories about how comics are a bad influence on society. Instead of celebrating the beauty of this cinematic masterpiece, people will be questioning whether there is even a future for comics in the movie industry. No one will be able to talk about The Dark Knight Rises without adding a comment of condolence for the families who are grieving because they chose to see the film.

There will be no stories about historic box office records being broken. There will be no stories comparing the Avengers to the Dark Knight Rises is terms of which people enjoyed more, (even though most comic fans will tell you the films are too different compare side-by-side anyway). One of the great stories to be told about this summer of super hero movies will be tainted to some extent by the fatalities that occurred during one movie showing.

Minor Spoilers in the next paragraph. If you've read some of the reviews you'll already know something about this story line.

On a personal note I hate the guy for shooting up the film that fulfilled one of my comic dreams. I read the novelization of No Man's Land by chance and fell truly in love with Batman. I then acquired all the trade additions of the story arc and devoured them within days. Greg Rucka became one of my favorite writers as a result. I dreamed of one day seeing this incredible story adapted to some form of TV, movie, or animated mini-series. But I never actually thought it would happen as the plot was too complicated for non-comic fans to understand. I saw the bridges exploding, Gordon leading the resistance, the theft of the apple, and I almost wanted to cry after seeing theater.

But the most important thing to remember is: The Batman will be waiting. This movie will outlive the senseless violence caused one madman because Batman is in it. Somewhere in the world of comics, there will always be a bat-signal on. I am not in any way downplaying the tremendous sadness of the loss of life today. Warner Bros. will feel the sting of losing what they thought would be their highest grossing film, but I think we all know that doesn't matter. The Batman will endure because his character means too much to the world.

Let the people mourn their loss. Let movie-goers enjoy the experience of The Dark Knight Rises in theaters with a little trepidation at times. But do not fear or mourn the loss of enthusiasm for the character. The Batman is the Dark Knight, waiting for the time to rise above the sadness and fully capture our imagination again in new and exciting ways.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AweSam

Yeah, I figured this would stain the good name of The Dark Knight Rises. I doubt people are going to go against comics, maybe just Nolan's movies. I don't hate Holmes, I just don't care about him.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SandMan_
    @AweSam said:

Yeah, I figured this would stain the good name of The Dark Knight Rises. I doubt people are going to go against comics, maybe just Nolan's movies. I don't hate Holmes, I just don't care about him.

What he said.
    Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Dreadmaster

Comics or movies shouldn't have to suffer cause some low-IQ'ed asshole decides he is a villain and wants to kill people at the opening for one of the greatest movies of all time. Now Warner Bros is pulling their advertisements, a showing was cancelled in Paris. All because ONE nut took fiction way too far. The media WILL blow this out of proportion because thats what they do. It's sad because this movie has so much potential to break records and now it seems like I could see it coming if they pulled the movie out of all theatres(unlikely i know).

josephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By josephiroth

who does that, no one will think bad of comics for that maybe the film adaption if its crap that is, i want to see batman, just bane looks so different looks nothing like the original, but at least will be a more in depth character instead of being dumb like in batman and robin.

i really feel bad for those people you speak of even though im in australian, :(

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.