Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

The Bat and the Cat: Why Romance is Important to Batman's Character

• 87 results
    Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Blindside002

Yes oh for the love of God yes. Please bring this back over because I love the hell out of Heart of Hush. This relationship has always been my main reason for loving DC and I want it to keep going for as long as possible, as long as it progresses.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#52  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I like the Bruce/Selina realtionship the most <3

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@Babs: Wonderful article Babs and so true, their love (lust) story has always been my favourite second to Dick and Babs. The connection between them is so hot, its that great good attracted to bad story that we all love!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @batman_is_god said:
    Silver St. Cloud was THE ONE.
    Really?@Samimista said:
    Bruce and Selina is one of comic's iconic couples in my opinion and one of the best.
    This,though i would say that they ARE the best.@okayla said:
    I just want Bruce and Talia to have hot, hanging from the roof fixture rough sex (on panel, of course) - is that too much to ask?
    Though i would'nt say no to this.lol
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @blackkitty said:
    This is one of the things which turned me off the Cat Woman comic was the article saying there would be no Batman. I love the character but the playful nature of their relationship is what makes it truly fun. Without it, I'm just not sure I'm interested in reading the comic.   I like Talia, I hate Damon. Sorry.
    Who's Damon?
    mistrx75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By mistrx75

Oh yeah, I love the Bats romances, and Selina probably ranks highest of all.  Though it seems like he'll be forever doomed to the "mission first" idea as well as the fact that she's still a criminal.  It'll never be, but it sure is fun to see the tension, in any incarnation.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Eyz

Romance is, if we like it or not, part of life. And therefore, to make these characters "live" in the funny page, some romance might be needed sooner or later.
    'nuff said!

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Chris2KLee

I think the relationship works because in or out of their costumes, you can see the attraction. They are both damaged in some way, both forced into their costumed life by destiny. Neither would ever quit their costumed role, and if they were together it would be unlikely the would have to. Also, it's just an classic setup up, the good guy falling in love with the bad girl.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Aiden Cross

I like batmans flirty and playful relationship with Cat Woman but I don’t see it working out longterm.

On a side note I don’t think his character needs romance per se (although it does help) but he does need love. For example the love of his adopted sons.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By Decept-O

Some romance in the comic book stories themselves is all right, provided it is done well. In the case of Batman and Catwoman, a perfect combination in my opinion. Some other titles do it well, and there are other couples I like seeing, some I really do not but that's all subjective.

That being said, I think when it comes to comic book movies, too much romance and even "forced" relationships with the characters have really detracted from what could have been greater movies. Superman Returns for example, what a weird piece of work that was, due to Clark's absence and Lois' new relationship with someone else and the kid and all. Totally ruined the movie.

Sometimes romance works, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes we just want to see characters laying the smack down on each other and I mean action and not romance.

drfeelgood91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By drfeelgood91

great article Babs, not enough people understand the importance of relationships in comics, especially in batmans case

limbani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By limbani

Thats a typical female point of view. personally, i dont like romance in batman comics... BECAUSE HE IS THE DARK NIGHT! And since we are not in Sara's Wonderland, I WANT TO SEE THE BAT! That means, the dark knight alone and without "inc." or "robin" or the red hood. i just want to see that batman i loved since i was a child wearing my pampers.

sputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By sputnik

totallyhook them up. kitty tames the bat?

djotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 367

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By djotaku

This is where, from what I've read recently, DC is kicking Marvel's butt when it comes to relationships.  Both Batman/Catwoman and Harley/Joker, the most iconic relationships outside of Superman/Lois, are exciting to read because they involve people who have very valid reasons to be apart and yet find themselves drawn to each other.  In the case of Batman/Catwoman it's as simple as Batman looking bad if it were ever to come to light that he lets Selina get away with stuff.  At the very least, he lets her get away with crimes against the other criminals, but in Batman, Inc 2 he didn't stop her from stealing a certain diamond - he just pointed out to her why she'd failed.  (Don't want to spoil too much).  With Harley/Joker it's even more complicated.  Joker, in a sense, made Harley.  And she is absolutely bonkers for him.  And he knows that and takes advantage of the fact that he can abuse her and she'll take it.  (And when she goes away, she always comes back)

BlackPookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#65  Edited By BlackPookie

i wanna see this two together until the end of times!
    limbani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By limbani
    @drfeelgood91: so, whats great about this article?! is it just the fact, that it is written by babs!?
    Sylver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Sylver

Heck yes! Keep them together always! Have 'em get married for mercy's sake! :-D  I think it's positively wonderful how Bruce has finally found someone who is tough enough to see through the bullcrap and problems of his life, who understands him, and who can fight pretty darn well herself.  No matter how controlled Batman is, he's still a tortured individual because of his past; Selina seems to help heal him.  :-) I love their romance.  Most definitely keep it together!
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#68  Edited By Kairan1979

Batman/Catwoman is my favorite relationship in Bat-family.
    I liked Duncan McLeod/Amanda relationship in Highlander TV series, because their dynamics reminded me of Bruce and Selina.

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By MrUnknown
    @War Killer: I love those pages! Paul Dini needs to write Batman & Catwoman!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By 672253

Batman and Catwoman would have to be one of my favorite couples.

Selina understands more than most that Batman is who Bruce is, because Catwoman is who she is. Neither are really able to truly escape the costumes. They can be themselves with each other and enjoy the chase, and the excitement of what they have.

And let's face it, Batman needs someone to keep him from silently brooding between Gothams gargoyles and atop grotesques.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By Billy Batson

Yo Babs, I'mma let you finish but Superman and Lois Lane have the best relationship of all time! 

BB

midnightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By midnightmare

Batman needs romance in his life so people don't say he's gay.  
    I'm not jocking.

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By GT-Man

HELL YAH!!!111
    Avatar image for a_boy_named_art
    A Boy Named Art

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By A Boy Named Art

I'm more of a fan of the Bat/Zatanna pairing, to be honest. Bruce and Selina have always seemed to be more attracted to what their secret IDs represent, while B and Zee have known each other before they mastered their abilities, and those personality cores still shine through.

As far as whether romance as a whole is important to the character of Batman, I think one could make the case that it should be more important to this Batman. If Batman Inc. is still around after September, then at least some of the events of Final Crisis should "count." With that team in place, plus Damian at his side as Robin, and Nightwing and Red Robin having proven themselves worthy of leading the next generation of the Bat-mantle, maybe Bruce will eventually start to actually want to settle down a bit.

VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By VanTesla
    @Jordanstine
    "Yes a happy family" A obsessed Vigilante with a under-age sidekick fetish. A crazed woman with delusions of grandeur that had a child by stealing Batmans genes and uses her son as a tool. A son that is named after the devils son, raised as an assassin with a mother that does not love him, and a father that let's a ten year old go out to fight blood thirsty killers... Family of the year!
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @VanTesla said:
    @Jordanstine: "Yes a happy family" A obsessed Vigilante with a under-age sidekick fetish. A crazed woman with delusions of grandeur that had a child by stealing Batmans genes and uses her son as a tool. A son that is named after the devils son, raised as an assassin with a mother that does not love him, and a father that let's a ten year old go out to fight blood thirsty killers... Family of the year!
    Especially when the mother sleeps with the recently resurrected adopted son of the father.

That's not messed up at all!
    DarkestLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DarkestLeader

I would rather see Bruce with Diana 

(The Dark Knight and The Warrior Princes) 

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Gerhabio

I have to disagree here.

I think Batman is at his best when alone and when Bruce Wayne is downplayed and his persona as a symbol highlighted.

I like to think Batman is the real being while Wayne is the disguise and catalyst: Batman was borne out of Bruce's pain and determination and the Bat will forever feed on it but Wayne is only important through the his true self Batman.

The romantic subplots never interest me in the comics, movies, or videogames and I think they distract from the symbolic value of Batman and the themes and tones that it uniquely offers for the sake of drama. I also think that the femme fatale archetype is simply trite in comics, movies and videogames also it often just feels like an excuse for deep cleavage (well, in Arkham City it seems like an excuse for both deep cleavage and putting a Audrey Hepburn-ish face on a character).

I was actually kinda disappointed about Catwoman in Arkham City, one of my favorite parts of AA was the feeling of being alone and isolated as Batman seemingly at the mercy of hundreds of criminals and then turning the tables on them, hunting the hunters. It's just not the same if you have friends running around and helping you.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @TheCrowbar said:
    @VanTesla said:
    @Jordanstine: "Yes a happy family" A obsessed Vigilante with a under-age sidekick fetish. A crazed woman with delusions of grandeur that had a child by stealing Batmans genes and uses her son as a tool. A son that is named after the devils son, raised as an assassin with a mother that does not love him, and a father that let's a ten year old go out to fight blood thirsty killers... Family of the year!
    Especially when the mother sleeps with the recently resurrected adopted son of the father.  That's not messed up at all!
    In a comic written by a guy who had no clue what he was doing.
    daikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#80  Edited By daikari
    @DarkestLeader: I agree with you, Selina is good but I also prefer Diana... However this is BATMAN we are talking about, who is he can just have one girl considering how many girl's hearts he has captured.
    BATMAN: "I'm Batman"
    ME: "We know"
    BATMAN: "I'm Batman"
    ME: "..."
    BATMAN: "I'm..."
    ME: "Girls now"
    *Bruce gets tackled by a frisky Selina, I stand there with a both & sign saying "5mins with Batman per $20". A line of women already forming*
    ME: "Who says Bruce can be the only multi-billionaire... Catwoman no down kitty thats extra..."
    *Classic fade out*
    Avatar image for wonder_princess
    Wonder Princess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Wonder Princess

There should always be a Batman/Catwoman relationship.  They connect emotionally with each other in a place that is hidden to all others.  I hope this carries over to the new DCverse.
    Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#82  Edited By Herx

I think it mostly comes down to how Bruce thinks of himself as Batman with Bruce Wayne as his mask. Bruce might be the playboy and could have countless kissy-kissy-smooch-smooch times with any lady of Gotham, but he wouldn't really be himself with them. Selina on the other hand, Batman fell in love with her and as Batman he can be more honest and more true to himself. Plus as a master theif and the great detective they dance that nightime roof top courtship dance that just fits the characters.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @kfhrfdu_89_76k said:
    I like romance. 

@TheCrowbar said:
    @VanTesla said:
    Especially when the mother sleeps with the recently resurrected adopted son of the father.  That's not messed up at all!
    What you mean by recently? He was resurracted about 6 years ago! But then again, time is proportionate.
    That crazed woman( Talia) banged Jason Todd.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @TheCrowbar said:
    @kfhrfdu_89_76k said:
    I like romance. 

@TheCrowbar said:
    @VanTesla said:
    What you mean by recently? He was resurracted about 6 years ago! But then again, time is proportionate.
    LOL
    battyfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By battyfan1
    @entropy_aegis said:
    @TheCrowbar said:
    @kfhrfdu_89_76k said:
    I like romance. 

@TheCrowbar said:
    @VanTesla said:
    LOL
    lols no one else compares to selina kyle.....like bruce/batman already said....she is the only one.....

talia.......slept with his dead  son and uses Damian as a revenge/spy tool 
    zatanna.......betrayed bruce/batman the worst way......used majic and messed with his mind!!!!!!!!! 
    vicky vale......lame copy of Lois Lane 
    Silver st Cloud.........boring socialite who can only understand bruce.....will not understand his dark side, like she already proved 
    Diana aka WW.......i just don't get this pairing at all.....for the life of me i just don't see what others see....... 

anyone else left to be talked about....? 
    Avatar image for a_boy_named_art
    A Boy Named Art

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By A Boy Named Art
    @limbani said:
    Thats a typical female point of view. personally, i dont like romance in batman comics... BECAUSE HE IS THE DARK NIGHT! And since we are not in Sara's Wonderland, I WANT TO SEE THE BAT! That means, the dark knight alone and without "inc." or "robin" or the red hood. i just want to see that batman i loved since i was a child wearing my pampers.
    And that's a typically sexist point of view.
    Avatar image for the_velvet_rabbit
    The Velvet Rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Catwoman and Batman because I think it provides a sort of balance for the character, but I definitely don't think that makes any of his other relationships any less important.   outside of Wonder Woman (whose romantic notions seemed to be rooted more in fanservice than anything else - not saying that's a bad thing, though), the three most well-known women in Batman's life are Vicki Vale, Talia al Ghul and Catwoman (but of course).   in terms of dynamic, I like to think of it as a duality situation (because Batman loves his duality!) - while Vicki swings on the pro-Bruce side of the fence, Talia's a Bat-groupie through-and-through.   meanwhile, Selina is able to handle Bruce on both ends of the cowl, something that provides the sort of balance Batman needs.   by the way, in case you somehow haven't figured it out yet, I was a big fan of Hush.   :P

of course, I doubt Catwoman and Batman will ever actually work - namely because nothing good can happen to Batman without a six-ton cloud coming to rain on his parade.   then again, I think one of the things that makes Batman characters so popular is the dark, gritty pulp aspect - it's basically superhero noir.   take away the darkness and the brooding and all you've got is Adam West in tights - and there's no way lightning's gonna' strike twice with that angle   o_O

@gerhabio said:

I have to disagree here.

I think Batman is at his best when alone and when Bruce Wayne is downplayed and his persona as a symbol highlighted.

I like to think Batman is the real being while Wayne is the disguise and catalyst: Batman was borne out of Bruce's pain and determination and the Bat will forever feed on it but Wayne is only important through the his true self Batman.

The romantic subplots never interest me in the comics, movies, or videogames and I think they distract from the symbolic value of Batman and the themes and tones that it uniquely offers for the sake of drama. I also think that the femme fatale archetype is simply trite in comics, movies and videogames also it often just feels like an excuse for deep cleavage (well, in Arkham City it seems like an excuse for both deep cleavage and putting a Audrey Hepburn-ish face on a character).

I was actually kinda disappointed about Catwoman in Arkham City, one of my favorite parts of AA was the feeling of being alone and isolated as Batman seemingly at the mercy of hundreds of criminals and then turning the tables on them, hunting the hunters. It's just not the same if you have friends running around and helping you.

you make good points, and are definitely articulated a lot better than the usual 'he's the god**** batman' explanation.   and I have to agree with some of what you say about Arkham City - there's a time and place for the more human element, and then there's a time and place for Batman to be the kind of icon that instills fear in the hearts of men; and generally, I'd say a video game like AC is a good place for the latter.   but then my fangirl instincts took over, and I suddenly found myself overcome with a strong urge to sacrifice all moral compass in order to play as Catwoman in a game - so I'd say listening to me is probably not a good idea.

@Billy Batson said:

Yo Babs, I'mma let you finish but Superman and Lois Lane have the best relationship of all time! 

BB

KANYE ALERT!!!

p.s. - I love Marjorie Liu's writing

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.