Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Stop Ben Affleck Before it's too Late!!!

• 175 results
    havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@tec79 said:

All of the the problems we face and the Internet has rallied and is petitioning to stop an actor to play Batman!Those who took the time to read and sign that but don't consider petitions concerning unemployment, education, health care or reform of the political system should re-evaluate some things.

this is the truth if you think the worse thing in this world is ben Afflec playing Batman then you need to watch the news or just walk away from your computer for 5 mins and see how bad things can be for people around the world, here is a thought start a petition to increase funding for starving kids in our own country, you know stuff that we can change.

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This petition is the most ridiculously stupid thing I've seen in quite a while.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh shut up you whiny tit.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I kinda feel sorry for the guy now... he's slowly blooming into a good actor/producer, and the minute the Batman announcement came up, he's copping all this flak. I wish we could just be patient and see what happens... if the movie fails, then you guys have the right to hate on him, but as of now, these petitions and other anti-affleck movements are making you guys look like dicks =)

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#106  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I don't know if OP realizes this, but Affleck was probably casted as Batman before Man of Steel came out. This didn't just happen, it was just announced. There is a difference.

Its all ready too late. And a petition wouldn't work anyway.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@batmannflash said:

I'm sorry but you need therapy if this upsets you so much. And why would Obama care about who plays Batman?

Maybe because he wants to play Batman himself

No Caption Provided

lol

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By Wolverine008

@rustyroy said:

@batmannflash said:

@rustyroy said:

@batmannflash said:

I'm sorry but you need therapy if this upsets you so much. And why would Obama care about who plays Batman?

Maybe because he wants to play Batman himself

No Caption Provided

lol

Get Obama to play Batman in the World's Finest movie!

The_Good_Loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anthonygiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By anthonygiu

I honestly want to see if he can pull it off. We've already had two terrible Batman movies in the 90s. Given Affleck's current track record: Argo, The Town, even State of Play was good...I think he can pull it off. I was like WTF at first but I have opened my mind and i am giving it a shot.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@anthonygiu: This is the reasonable reaction, I was surprised by it too but I'm reserving judgment until I see him as Batman. But even if he does turn out to be the worst Batman ever I'd still say it was stupid to petition the white house over it.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like how people are bringing up the ledger comparison. but it's more of a clooney comparison. ledger was an unknown actor at the time. it was his big break. ben affleck has been around for a long time. we've seen his acting range. remember when people said clooney was gonna suck. and they were right. yeah. plus all these great ben affleck movies: all his acting in them is decent at best. you can star in a great movie and still suck.

Cara_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

da fak?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer: Ledger was not an unknown, he may not have been a top tier star but plenty of people knew who he was. Hell this was after Brokeback Mountain which had Oscar buzz, he was huge with Teen girls due to things like 10 things I hate about you and a Knight's Tale was a minor hit. Calling him an unknown at the time he was cast as the Joker is woefully ignorant.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: he wasnt big like affleck is now which is the only reason he is going to be batman which was the only reason clooney was picked back in the day. ledger was known for brokeback mountain but that's it. he was a joke to the general public. plus we hadnt seen all he was capable of by then. affleck we have.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: oh and 10 things i hate about you was in '99. the dark knight was in '08. i doubt they remembered some guy in some comedy almost 10 years ago.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer: So you're saying that someone very few fans can take seriously is capable of surprising us and doing well in the role?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Obama doesn't care about super people

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@joshmightbe: yes. i think the role should have been given to an unknown.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer: That was never gonna happen, and you're delusional if you thought it would. While Bale wasn't exactly huge he still had some fan base which is probably the only way Nolan convinced WB it was a good idea to cast him. Lets face it no major hollywood studios are gonna invest that kind of money without at least 1 bankable star. MOS only got away with it because the only thing more famous than Superman is Jesus.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: well no point on arguing any further on this. snyder is still directing, cavil is a plank and affleck is mediocre. perfect sh*tstorm.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer: I don't even care if people like it or not I just wish the damn whining would stop.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: when you're putting crap on the screen, people get angry

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer: Why? Its not like you have to watch it. Unless someone puts a gun to your head and makes you watch it there is no rational reason to be as mad as people are about this.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: oh i'm not as mad as some of the people out there but i am pissed as hell. i wanted a good superman movie. i got man of steel. now they are going to bury superman and batman in one shot.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why all the hate for Ben Affleck. When he was a young actor he did some awesome movie, then of course there was the Gili period, and now he's back to some awesome movie. Plus he was a great Daredevil, the movie was ass, but I think he was a good Matt Murdock.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer: I liked Man of Steel, I won't say its a great film by any stretch but its not as bad as the 3 live action Superman movies that preceded it, sure it'll never be considered as great as Superman and Superman 2 but I'm not a perfectionist, if a movie can keep me entertained for 2 hours I'm happy. And unless you happen to be psychic you can't tell whether or not the next movie will suck. Also I don't believe that psychics are an actual thing that exists so honestly I can't take any quality complaint before a single frame of film is shot seriously.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually consider Man Of Steel as a Elseworld story.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

@dabee said:
    EDIT:@spideyivydaredevilfan26 Argo didn't suck. It was one of the best movies that year, one of the best in a long time even. What I'm saying is it was really really good. Great. You just weren't mature enough to appreciate it, is what it sounds like. It was based solely on true events. When rescuing hostages, it would be ridiculous for you not to take it slow. Sure not every scene was gunshots and rioting, but that's because there's a lot of talking and negotiating involved. The movie didn't have a slow moment, it sounds like you just weren't mature enough to appreciate anything but the gunfire and riots. But that's okay, you will when you're older.

Also, to say the movie was racist is ridiculous. Period. If I sound pissed off, it's not because I'm really angry or anything. I'm just tired of people on the internet who will complain no matter who is announced to play Batman. Some people just love to complain about everything, and I get that, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. Ben Affleck will be a great Batman.

Taking it a little slow is fine. Look at One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Titanic or The Village. Those were slow, but both really good, because they had enough fascinating material in-between, even if it wasn't necessarily action. I could care less about the riots, but give us something. Have something go incredibly wrong, bring in a huge complication, have somebody get arrested for something that wasn;t that big, building tension that they might get caught for the bigger offense. But staring at Affleck sitting in a room with a bunch of hostages for an hour is not fun, you can't put a spin on that. And it WAS racist. It portrayed Middle Eastern people as monsters with no reason to dare want to attack the US. Every scene they're in they are either complete idiots, rioting, or threatening terrorism. It's shockingly offensive. Also, John Goodman needed more screen time, he's the best actor in the movie and he's in for like 30 minutes. And no, there are plenty of people not named Bale that would make a great Batman:

Liev Schrieber

Karl Urban

Mark Wahlberg

Russell Crowe

Benicio Del Toro

Brad Pitt

Sam Elliot (As an older Batman)

And plenty of other people I simply forgot to name. Just because I didn't like Argo doesn't mean I'm immature. Chances are, 5 years from now I'll still notice the slow and boring story, racist undertones and portrayals, lack of suspense or tension and underuse of Goodman.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why people talk about movies Affleck directed?

He directed those movies, but he wasnt casted as director.

He was casted as an actor.

Besides i actually belive The Town stomped Argo, it was boring pretentious and belive it as better it actually was, it got out in the right time, if it came out during Bush administration, people would had said it was totally biased for the fact it take out the USA interest on that part of the world and paint the Middle Easterns, but since it came out during Obama years, it was "patriotic" and a story about heroism of the USA goverment.

Besides Affleck dont do a good job in Argo, his performance was himself in angst mode.

Being said this is belive in Affleck, but if he fails they can always recast Batman.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: That's like saying that Schindler's List was racist because it portrayed Nazis as the bad guys. The Iranian insurgents were taking hostages. They were the bad guys, obviously.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Affleck will be fine, but the director will determine whether there's any lasting power, and Snyder is no Nolan. Not even close. I know there's reports of multiple Affleck Batman movies, but I truly believe he'll do this and then Justice League. After that, he'll be done.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By AweSam

Bunch of crybabies and nerd-rage. Affleck is a great choice for Batman. Couldn't have picked a better actor for the role.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: That's like saying that Schindler's List was racist because it portrayed Nazis as the bad guys. The Iranian insurgents were taking hostages. They were the bad guys, obviously.

True, but unlike the Nazis, the Iranian insurgents had reason to be pissed. Americans had destroyed their country and brought it to poverty.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee said:

No, you dont understand, the bad guys in Schindler List are 3dimensional beings, they had reasons and a face, they had emotions and you can explain why they do waht they do.

They werent some random stereotype 2dimensional characters, like the villain in Argo.

The movie never explains them, eevn when you could say is a history movie, is like saying is a comic book movie, read the comic or read the book, the movie should explain this thing as his own thing.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#138  Edited By mikex20

I read that people waaay back in the golden age of cinema people were apprehensive about Michael Keaton playing Batman, but accepted his performance after seeing the film. The same could be true for Ben Affleck.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikex20 said:

I read that people waaay back in the golden age of cinema people were apprehensive about Michael Keaton playing Batman, but accepted his performance after seeing the film. The same could be true for Ben Affleck.

Wait you belive the 80s were the golden age?

I mean sure, Back To The Future was great, but Keaton wasnt Micheal J. Fox as Marty and many people still dont like his performance, having valid reason to dont like it.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: @spideyivydaredevilfan26: Their reasons for doing what they did (kidnapping innocent people for over a year), was really no reason. All they wanted was for us to return a former leader to their country so that they could kill him, while they were ironically supporters of the Ayatollah Khomeini. They were just a bunch of bad guys, whether or not their reasons were expressed in the movie. To say the movie is racist is stupid. People who storm an embassy and take hostages are inherently bad, and to call their portrayal in a negative light racist is the same as saying the kidnappings were totally okay.

I do see the difference between Schindler's List and Argo that you mentioned, though, but all I'm saying is that the villains were still bad no matter how you look at it.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee: But if you dont explain the reasons, if you dont explain why the character are dping what are doing.

You get with stereotypes of arabs, those guys just hate the USA for no reason, they are religious freacks, the USA never did anything to cause this, not even by mistake.

Also, the USA goverment is killing people, send the army and decide they have to shot people and use bombs to kill one guy even if that kills hundreds, go and say they are the bad guys and the guyson the embassy and the goverment are the good guys, is simplistic, this wasnt Commando, there was a bigger picture and they decide to keep it out, so they could paint people as heroes and others as bad guys.

even when is more complicated.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee said:

@deathpoolthet1000: @spideyivydaredevilfan26: Their reasons for doing what they did (kidnapping innocent people for over a year), was really no reason. All they wanted was for us to return a former leader to their country so that they could kill him, while they were ironically supporters of the Ayatollah Khomeini. They were just a bunch of bad guys, whether or not their reasons were expressed in the movie. To say the movie is racist is stupid. People who storm an embassy and take hostages are inherently bad, and to call their portrayal in a negative light racist is the same as saying the kidnappings were totally okay.

I do see the difference between Schindler's List and Argo that you mentioned, though, but all I'm saying is that the villains were still bad no matter how you look at it.

I think that the Iranians had the right to act radical for that. This was a man that America put into power and they just covered it up by sending him to America, which is incredibly corrupt and, in my mind, one of the darkest moments in recent American history (1975-2013)

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

No Caption Provided

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was my reaction when Argo won Best Picture

Loading Video...

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that the Iranians had the right to act radical for that. This was a man that America put into power and they just covered it up by sending him to America, which is incredibly corrupt and, in my mind, one of the darkest moments in recent American history (1975-2013)

You're too funny.

ironmanbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Ben Affleck thing is ridiculous. The guy is gonna do an amazing job. He looks the part, he has paid his dues and is back on top form. Give the guy a chance!

This article nails it. Read it. Then tell me what else you can complain about ben affleck as batman for?!

http://www.moviecricket.com/ben-affleck-rises-52496/

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.... kill yourself, if you make a petition about this... it means you have nothing significant in your life. Unless you're trolling, which is bad but not equally bad.

I've been on the vine for six years, in total my various role playing accounts have accumulated over 30000 posts, I've seen the absolute rock bottom of human intellect on this site, with people sinking to such mental lows that sometimes I just wanted to scream into a pillow until the stupid people went away.

And this is still the third dumbest thread I have ever seen.

Now I have to know: what are the others?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: Holy Cow that Superman/Shuma Gorath thread O.O how did these people learn to breath.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.