Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

So what version of the Dark Knight are we using?

tlm2021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tlm2021

The article here seems to be written based on Batman Begins (mic and headphones in the cowl, cape that becomes rigid). Is this the standard now?

Don't get me wrong, that's probably my favorite movie of all time, but what about most versions of Batman that don't have the same type of cape? Most (if any) comic books don't include this. How do you mediate and decided what represents him best? Who or what defines who Batman is now?

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mighty Magneto

The comic book gods decide of course. We make human offerings to them at least twice a week for questions like this.

Avatar image for fourpower__r_i_p_
    Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Fourpower (R.I.P)

Mighty Magneto says:

"The comic book gods decide of course. We make human offerings to them at least twice a week for questions like this."

Exactly. Burn!

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

The focus here should primarily be on the comic book version of any character. While the equipment you mention would generally be considered part of Batman's equipment, I agree that parts of that page owe more to Batman Begins and may need some revision. I'm not a moderator, so I can't offer you any more guidance than that. If you feel it needs changing, check out the guide and then edit it. There's nothing to lose by doing so (you don't get negative points for rejected submissions).

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

The focus here should primarily be on the comic book version of any character. While the equipment you mention would generally be considered part of Batman's equipment, I agree that parts of that page owe more to Batman Begins and may need some revision. I'm not a moderator, so I can't offer you any more guidance than that. If you feel it needs changing, check out the guide and then edit it. There's nothing to lose by doing so (you don't get negative points for rejected submissions).

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mighty Magneto

I guess you could always try that.

Avatar image for illkidspaidamonki
    IllKidSpaidamonki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IllKidSpaidamonki

what EXACTLY is the topic here?! are we talking BATMAN or NOT!?

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Prodigal Son

IllKidSpaidamonki says:

"what EXACTLY is the topic here?! are we talking BATMAN or NOT!?"

This is a topic concerning what the primary source for Comic Vine encyclopedia entries should be. Sometimes we have minor problems with people writing a bio about a character and basing it upon either a TV show or movie. Being a comic site, the comics themselves should be the primary source, with the other media being supplemental data.

Knightwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Knightwing

tlm2021 says:

"The article here seems to be written based on Batman Begins (mic and headphones in the cowl, cape that becomes rigid). Is this the standard now?Don't get me wrong, that's probably my favorite movie of all time, but what about most versions of Batman that don't have the same type of cape? Most (if any) comic books don't include this. How do you mediate and decided what represents him best? Who or what defines who Batman is now?"

Well sometimes according to the artist drawing Batman's cape was already a bit rigid to make for softer landings by being something of a parachute and keep the cape from being blown into his face. The headphones and night vision lenses were already there ;during the late nineties when Graham drew Batman. Later additions like body heat detecting lenses were added later and during Hush.

As for Batman's representation it depends on the generation's taste in the character and new improvements in story telling and technology.
    Post Edited:2008-01-10 12:16:29

Batman666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Batman666

Christopher Nolan's version I bet. He always wanted to see it real and no comic mumbo-jumbo. so He take things from comic that is realistic and left the unreal ones. And make something's up that realistic according to him to enpowered the movies. that's why his joker's version isn't the white pale body from the vat chemicals but just a homicidal maniac that use makes up on his face. Because he thinks that people that is dropped to a vat of chemicals ain't gonna end up like the joker. So it goes the same with his version of Batman.

batpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By batpool

tlm2021 says:

"The article here seems to be written based on Batman Begins (mic and headphones in the cowl, cape that becomes rigid). Is this the standard now?Don't get me wrong, that's probably my favorite movie of all time, but what about most versions of Batman that don't have the same type of cape? Most (if any) comic books don't include this. How do you mediate and decided what represents him best? Who or what defines who Batman is now?"

According to the Batman Encyclopedia they have had a headset in the cowl since at least 2000(when the book was written). I would look to see about the cape, but i really dont feel like gandering through 15 boxes of DC books, graphic novels,and paperbacks.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.