Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Snyder's New 52 Batman - Overhyped?

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

Poll Snyder's New 52 Batman - Overhyped? (94 votes)

Nope. It is the best Batman series ever. 16%
    Not really. Snyder's run matches up with other classic Batman stories. 36%
    A little, but it's still a great read. 17%
    Pretty much, but there are some great moments. 16%
    Yes. The series is way overhyped. I do not understand all the attention it gets. (Don't ban us Tony) 15%

The poll is fairly straight forward. Here is my perspective, out of the 24 issues I've only had 3 or 4 that I've really enjoyed. And one of those was the Mr. Freeze annual, so it should count. After being disappointed by Death of the Family and reading sub-par issues 19 & 20, I decided to drop Batman. But I kept hearing positive things about Year Zero, so I gave Snyder and company one more chance and picked up issues 21 and 22 yesterday. I wasn't impressed. I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

• 
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

There are two schools of thought on Snyder's Batman;

There are those who believe it a derivative, pointlessly gratuitous piece of egotistical garbage.

Then there are those who are wrong.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By TDK_1997

Way overhyped.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I love Batman, but this series is just mediocre. I really don't get the hype for it.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By consolemaster001

Not really

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There are those who believe it a derivative, pointlessly gratuitous piece of egotistical garbage.

What amazes me is the amount of love it gets.

I love Batman, but this series is just mediocre. I really don't get the hype for it.

This.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It's over hyped. I much prefer Grant Morrison's Batman Inc and his Batman run.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

It is a bit overhyped but I like it.

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Black Mirror is ine of thr best batman stories EVER TOLD!!!!!

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Batman ever. End of thread.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By theTimeStreamer

the truth

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I'm a few issues behind(I get the British reprint series and it's only up to #18), and I've thought it was pretty good. Not terrible, not amazing, but worth a read.

I do think some of the reactions I've seen have overhyped it a bit.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Mirror is ine of thr best batman stories EVER TOLD!!!!!

That could be true, but the question was specifically about the New 52 Batman series.

Kwodam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think scott snyders amazing and give him a few more years.

And his gonno be alan moore/grant morrison/geoff johns level famous.

But yes it is overhyped. B

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Lol, this a hardcore Morrison fan's view on Snyder's work?

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Court of Owls is a new classic.

Death of the Family is a fantastic focus on the relationship ebtween Batman and Joker, but not good for a monthly title.

Zero Year is meh.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batman is awesome, new 52 batman is one of the best batman runs....but hey haters gonna hate.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

There have been better stories and better writers. There have been way better stories and way better writers. But Snyder has been killing it in terms of originality and a look into Bruce's psyche. But seeing how this thread is essentially an invitation to all those who have beef with the title, I won't try to argue with anyone.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By John Valentine

@jameskm716 said:

Death of the Family is a fantastic focus on the relationship ebtween Batman and Joker, but not good for a monthly title.

Zero Year is meh.

New classic? Debatable. I find the entire premise of the Court so hard to fathom; that there was some organisation so secretive and clever that even the Batman wasn't aware of for so many years, especially with all the stuff that's happened to him in recents years (I'm looking at you Black Glove society). They only way I can reconcile this is that their existance is some ripple effect from Flashpoint. This annoyance aside, I did enjoy the arc! Oh, I also don't care for Harper Row.

Death of the Family was so dreadfully marketed that it ended up being the one of the biggest disappointments from DC in recent years that I can recall.

Zero Year has had like two issues at present. Too early to judge.

Avatar image for mysterioususername
    MysteriousUsername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Read a bit of it, didn't really get the hype.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JamesKM716

@jameskm716 said:

Zero Year is meh.

New classic? Debatable. I find the entire premise of the Court so hard to fathom; that there was some organisation so secretive and clever that even the Batman wasn't aware of for so many years, especially with all the stuff that's happened to him in recents years (I'm looking at you Black Glove society). They only way I can reconcile this is that their existance is some ripple effect from Flashpoint. This annoyance aside, I did enjoy the arc! Oh, I also don't care for Harper row.

Death of the Family was so dreadfully marketed that it ended up being the one of the biggest disappointments from DC in recent years that I can recall.

Fair, I mostly say that because he introduced a new villain that wasn't awful; the Court of Owls, Talon and Thomas Wayne Jr. And also Personally I just really enjoyed it. Granted, I wasn't reading comics when they did Black Glove. I will say though, i agree, that Harper Row sucks.

That was really the problem with it. It wasn't a bad story, but they marketed it as a game changer, when it was really just a love letter to teh relationship between Batman and Joker. It's incredibly well written, but would have been much better as a non-New 52 graphic novel.

That's true. I'm jsut not a fan of going back and showing Batman's origin again. Not because I think it's poorly written, I've just seen his origin a dozen times.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolverine008

@jameskm716 said:

Zero Year is meh.

New classic? Debatable. I find the entire premise of the Court so hard to fathom; that there was some organisation so secretive and clever that even the Batman wasn't aware of for so many years, especially with all the stuff that's happened to him in recents years (I'm looking at you Black Glove society). They only way I can reconcile this is that their existance is some ripple effect from Flashpoint. This annoyance aside, I did enjoy the arc! Oh, I also don't care for Harper row.

This.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was really the problem with it. It wasn't a bad story, but they marketed it as a game changer, when it was really just a love letter to teh relationship between Batman and Joker. It's incredibly well written, but would have been much better as a non-New 52 graphic novel.

That's true. I'm jsut not a fan of going back and showing Batman's origin again. Not because I think it's poorly written, I've just seen his origin a dozen times.

I can get over the mild annoyance, at least they're good villains. Thomas Wayne Jr. is a potentially an iconic villain for Batman. Imagine a triangle with him at once corner, Joker at the other and Batman at the other. Nice to have the symmetry with Earth 2 too.

I wonder if the ramifications of DoTF will actually last? Problem with DoTF is that we haven't really yet had a chance to see the full extent of the relationships between the different members of the Bat family. Also, its release was terribly, terribly timed next to the events going down in Morrison's Incorporated.

I like Year One (though I'm not a massive fan of Miller in general) but I think it's about time Batman's origin was updated for the New 52.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Breadspread

Pretty much, but great moments.

I enjoy his writing, but a lot of people think he is the greatest...I think he is over-hyped!

I believe he could become one of the greatest. I think his best is yet to come.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

Court of Owls is derivative of The Order of St Dumas and the League of Assassins... and doesn't make sense as others have mentioned. There isn't any reason however that there couldn't be a a Court of Owls that formed in the USA... I'd use the NWO mythos and say the Illuminati and Free Masons are really where there roots are but the Court of Owls spawned from them in the New World and dissociated themselves from those groups and then it makes sense for Haley's Circus and it makes sense for them to now attack Bruce as you could claim he poses a threat to them, especially with allies like Superman... you could then also tie this in with things like the JLA and JLD and perhaps the Trinity War what with the Question likely putting these things together... So fixing it to not be Gotham specific leads to so much greater potential, and makes more sense, but instead it's just a poor mans League and St. Dumas

The Death of the Family was a stunning example of just how much Snyder and the people writing these books don't understand any of these characters or care about them. It's not only that the whole thing is a poor interpretation... it's also that it is a cliche interpretation of those who want to say something smart sounding about Batman but really don't understand him or any of the characters surrounding him. It's insulting that the best this high paid so-called creative intelligent person can come up with is not a new interpretation on a character but the same schlock two bit hacks on just about any forums comes up with... yeah, money well spent v.v

Year Zero... so far it's meh. It doesn't keep it's own time line straight, says it's not over writing Year One but clearly is, and, like with all the other Batman villains so far messed around with by these idiots, makes Joker just another psychopath or a criminal with gimmick. Joker has lost all that made him interesting under Snyder and instead of the interesting characters that present us readers with challenging philosophies and view points we are instead getting "Oh he's just crazy" rather than "He's got a point, but they take it too far"

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The few things I've really enjoyed was Thomas Wayne Jr and the Joker's massacre at Gotham PD. Somethings are absolutely ridiculous. Why did Batman need to punch a horse? I do not understand.

It's interesting that the 5 answers are evenly split.

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have stated my opinion in other forums on Snyders run, I voted over hyped but enjoyable.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Court of Owls: loved it

Second arc: Not as good but still not bad

Death of the family: ehhhh, kind of an overrated arc, didn't really do much to the status quo

Batman Zero Year: total shit so far. Unnecessary.

Scott Snyder has gone from one of my favorite writers to very "meh" for me. I'm also about to drop Batman. I was one of those who stood up for Zero Year before its release. But lets be honest, now that its come out there's no denying how unnecessary this story is. Plus its bored me to tears seeing Batman's origin again. Just end it already and bring back the Court. Anyway, hard to believe I'm saying this, but I'll probably be dropping Batman.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He writes batman as more pf a physical brute, and less of an intellectual and detective. He has made him arrogant and rather unlikeable.

The stories suffer for this, with him doing stupid stuff like telling Joker his identity and refusing to investigate the court for the longest time because "he looked into it" as a child.

I much preferred Morison's run.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Eternal19

@muyjingo said:

He writes batman as more pf a physical brute, and less of an intellectual and detective. He has made him arrogant and rather unlikeable.

The stories suffer for this, with him doing stupid stuff like telling Joker his identity and refusing to investigate the court for the longest time because "he looked into it" as a child.

The first part is especially true in Zero Year. Snyders Batman Is really annoying right now.

I agree that that was really bad writing on Snyders part, Why would Bruce risk telling Joker his secret Identity just to prove a point?

Morrison's run had some pretty bad moments as well, Batman and Son was just Okay and Batman R.I.P. was mediocre in my opinion. Im still convinced that Jeph Loeb is the best Batman writer

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By knighthood

Im still convinced that Jeph Loeb is the best Batman writer

Greg Rucka or Denny O'neil for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman being annoying is showing how immature he is right now and gives him room to grow as a hero. It's not overhyped at all to me. They are great and no one claimed they were the best stories ever

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I felt Death of the Family got a little over hyped, but I thought the Court of Owls storyline was amazing and one of the best storylines, so far, from the New 52.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JamesKM716

@john_valentine: exactly what I meant, Thomas Wayne Jr. Can easily become a new iconic villain.

The problem with DotF, is Batman Incorporated invalidates it. The families all like we're going to not trust each other or like each other anymore. Then we see that they're all together fighting Leviathan. It ruins DotF's ending.

That's fair, but I think it's a tad too long for that. A simple 3 issue arc could I relate the origin but instead they're doing 11 issues...

DylanOfEarth2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the run, but I dont think its the most amazing things ever. one big problem is snyder dose not know how to write a good ending to an arc.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's as overhyped as Mark Waid's Daredevil

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good. Not the best, but good. Classic, straightforward Batman stories are back and I couldn't be happier. People forget that Capullo is also a big reason why this book is successful. Morrison never had this kind of consistency with his artists. And Denny O'Neil was the greatest Batman writer ever. He set the stage for Miller, brought Batman back to his noir detective roots, created Ras, wrote some of the best Joker stories ever, etc.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its very overhyped but still its not that bad and got some cool moments, I feel its okay, not great not very good just okay.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

@john_valentine said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Lol, this a hardcore Morrison fan's view on Snyder's work?

It's the view of a (one of the, on this site) hardcore Batman fan.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine: exactly what I meant, Thomas Wayne Jr. Can easily become a new iconic villain.

The problem with DotF, is Batman Incorporated invalidates it. The families all like we're going to not trust each other or like each other anymore. Then we see that they're all together fighting Leviathan. It ruins DotF's ending.

That's fair, but I think it's a tad too long for that. A simple 3 issue arc could I relate the origin but instead they're doing 11 issues...

No he really cant,he's just a terrible,useless, nonsensical villain who started off as a nobody with zero personality and ended up becoming the villain cause the writer had pinned himself in to a corner.If Johns debuts a new Owlman in Forever Evil then this guy will be completely forgotten,he'll go the way of Hush,a villain who looked cool but had a shitty background and motivation and was not even original. Morrison even made fun of villains like these(the fall of Doctor Hurt),heck despite being a satire of characters like Hush and Lincoln Hurt STILL ended up being far more dangerous and intriguing.

Wrath is gonna be THE anti-Batman after Layman is done with him mark my words.

@muyjingo said:

The first part is especially true in Zero Year. Snyders Batman Is really annoying right now.

I agree that that was really bad writing on Snyders part, Why would Bruce risk telling Joker his secret Identity just to prove a point?

Morrison's run had some pretty bad moments as well, Batman and Son was just Okay and Batman R.I.P. was mediocre in my opinion. Im still convinced that Jeph Loeb is the best Batman writer

If Jeph Loeb had written RIP it would've ended up with Bane secretly being El Sombero pulling the strings behind Hurt and allowing the Joker to kill him for a misdirect,and Batman going WTF.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

The fact that I could barely sleep the day before the finale for Death of the Family was released pays tribute to what I think of Snyder's run.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that I could barely sleep the day before the finale for Death of the Family was released pays tribute to what I think of Snyder's run.

Psst it's just one day,I've been unable to sleep properly ever since Snyder took over.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

@sinestro_gl said:

Psst it's just one day,I've been unable to sleep properly ever since Snyder took over.

haha, fair play

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: I agree with your view on snyders batman work. But just out of curiosity what. Batman run is the best in your opinion

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Lvenger

@fadetoblackbolt: I agree with your view on snyders batman work. But just out of curiosity what. Batman run is the best in your opinion

Morrison's run is Fade's favourite Batman run of all time. I'll let him explain why though :P

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

Chuck Dixon is probably the best over all Batman writer...

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People forget that Capullo is also a big reason why this book is successful. Morrison never had this kind of consistency with his artists. And Denny O'Neil was the greatest Batman writer ever. He set the stage for Miller, brought Batman back to his noir detective roots, created Ras, wrote some of the best Joker stories ever, etc.

Ditto on the O'Neil thoughts. I do disagree about Capullo, but that's just me. I've never like Capullo's art.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.