Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Snyder overrated

• 87 results
    tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@tupiaz:

I hate Loeb, Miller is overrated, Morrison is ok, O'Neil and Timm are good, the rest doesn't count

A lot of accusation but no arguments. It is also the first time I have seen somebody says that the Alan Moore, Doug Moench, Chuck Dixon and Jim Starlin doesn't count as important Batman writers. Interesting.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By PunyParker

@onemoreposter said:

Yeah Snyder is really overrated. His dialogue is usually atrocious. Cappulo's beautiful art has made Batman since the reboot, not Snyder's writing.

You sir, are wrong. He's dialogue is great, I suppose you think you could do better?

Yes,i like his dialogue too.
    I started reading comics with Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man,and Bendis's dioalugue is the best i've read in a comic book......iw doesnt mean i am judging everyone by it.Every writer has his flaws and goods.....Snyder is a great writer,and his Batman rocks.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoy that my topic has open a good speech about Snyder and his stories. I think Snyder is a talented writer, capable to portray Batman in a way different compared Morrison's Batman, but the quality of Zero Year, and also Court of Owls, Death of the Family, is far away to be a masterwork, but still remains good stories. 10/10? Neither Batman RIP could be so perfect, and Batman RIP is better than Court of Owls, IMHO. Zero Year is a good starting point for the new Batman's readers, New 52 is a reboot, I'm agree with that, but 10/10? No way. Year One is a masterpiece, Killing Joke, TDKR, Long Halloween, etc.. Go on with your work Snyder, I would say to him, because, it might not be a masterpiece, and so? Zero Year still remains a good story, I'll keep on to follow it, I like it.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemoreposter said:

Yeah Snyder is really overrated. His dialogue is usually atrocious. Cappulo's beautiful art has made Batman since the reboot, not Snyder's writing.

You sir, are wrong. He's dialogue is great, I suppose you think you could do better?

I say he is right, its all a matter of opinion, isn't it? And why does he has to do better? He's not the one who's writing Batman, I've seen many writer's write better dialogues for Batman, he isn't bad but he is overrated.

GraysonMatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz:

I hate Loeb, Miller is overrated, Morrison is ok, O'Neil and Timm are good, the rest doesn't count

Morrison is okay?....Ye, you just killed whatever creditably you had with that. Morrison is, in my opinion, the best batman writer. His work is amazing

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TazzMission

@alexander505 said:

Sorry to say but I must be honest. Snyder is overrated. I reading his arc, and I follow the review....and...10/10...seriously? Why? Zero Year is just a good story, 7/10 probably, nothing more.

hahaha snyder over raided? im sorry but do you really want to go that route knowing the nolanites and weadonites are the groups who make them over rated?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

I hate Loeb too,but Morrison......when someone says Morrison you say "Batman." ..........he is the Batman writer.
    Snyder is aiming for just that.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@z3ro180 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose: we get reprints like that O__o ?

Yeah, you can get them in W.H. Smith and other newsagents. There's currrently two Batman ones, one printing the kind of stuff I mentioned, and the other prints The Dark Knight and Detective Comics. There's also ones for Superman, The Justice League and Arrow.

As for Marvel there's comics for Astonishing Spider-Man, Wolverine & Deadpool, Avengers Assemble, Essential X-Men, Incredible Hulks, Marvel Legends(Captain America, Thor and Iron Man), and Mighty World Of Marvel, which I think is just for whatever they feel like printing. I think it's currently doing Daredevil and Avengers Academy stuff.

The DC ones are £2.99, and the Marvels have just gone up to £3.50. They print 2-5 issues at a time, so they're pretty good value. They're currently printing Avengers vs X-Men in Avengers Assemble and Essential X-Men, and Astonishing Spider-Man is printing Superior Spider-Man, so I think there's going to be more Marvel Now stuff pretty soon, if you're looking to catch up on anything you missed first time around.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterdetective said:

@tupiaz:

Morrison is okay?....Ye, you just killed whatever creditably you had with that. Morrison is, in my opinion, the best batman writer. His work is amazing

Morrison's Batman isn't for everybody. I find the lack of argument and the lack of well known Batman writers list to be much higher problem. Yurself say that Morrison that is the best writer like it should be a universal truth.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I thought thoses stopped over here. When I was growing up I used to get the spider-man ones. Ahh good memories :'). Any way if I you have an android or iOS devise you can get the marvel or DC app and get the comic straight from there. That's how I get mine.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@z3ro180: I'm not into digital. I mostly get the proper American issues of things, but I started reading comics a few months after the New 52 started, and thought I'd be better off just getting the reprints rather than trying to catch up, as I think I couldn't find issues of Batman at sensible prices.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Well, I like his work on Batman (still prefer his time on Swamp Thing, though)

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's a good writer. Definitely not Morrison level but his stories are pretty interesting and entertaining.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: @v_scarlotte_rose: Whoah! My physical collection is actually made up of those reprints! I use digital now though as I already feel left behind enough.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like his run.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Alexander505

I like his run too, but 10/10, just too high scores, that's the point.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

His work on Unchained has left me unimpressed. Greg Pak's work is more fun and Charlie Soule's story is way more interesting.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most writters pull some incredible stories and some lesser good ones.

Snyder has some good ideas. I liked when he uses Gotham's past: Gates of Gotham, the Owls.

But then when he has to rewritter past stories for the new52 reboot (Death of the Family, Zero year, ...), he is not up to the task. Some good dialogues, but the main stories always have flaws. To me Death of the Family is the most disapointing Batman story I've read.

He manages to be untertaining not much. He's like those nowadays superhero movies. He attracks readers but the content isn't great.

So yes he's overrated. Because his current run is far from deserving a 10/10.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I find his work boring and would love to see some other writer tackle the character. He's been doing it for what four years now?

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death of the Family was the worst of his work in my opinion. Court of the Owls was solid enough, not a classic, but i'd re-read it. But I thought that Zero Year was great. Only reason I'd say he's overrated is because I often see him touted as the greatest Batman writer of all time. If they were just saying he was a good writer and nothing more i'd have no complaints.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not overrated. He's an exceptional writer with a wide range of knowledge and creativity and control over his stories. I just don't like how much exposition and dialogue he always uses as its always some random story from Bruce's childhood or something that I'd actually irrelevant or some unnecessary Gotham lore. I also don't like his super long events, like the 13 month Zero Year, or how abstract and hard to grasp the themes of his stories can be, but he's truly a great Batman writer. Its time for him to go though, I've had enough of him.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: How is he exceptional ? How can he have a wide range of knowledge and badly copy old stories and mess up vilains ? When he invents stuff he can be good (owls arc or gates of gotham), otherwise he can't do good with constrains. Other than that I agree with what you say.

He is overrated because Batman is trendy. Heathe ledger help a lot, then Batman was rebooted, Snyder's stories start of good with interresting ideas, and nowadays marketing, are exemples of the many little things that make him trendy. But also, one can note that youngs (and not so youngs) like awfull things these days (just look at the music charts for exemples !).

I don't know why but lot of Batman aclaimed writters are in the end disapointing: Miller, Loeb, Snyder, even Morrison and Moore are not perfect. Why can so few great stories be written about Batman ? I love this hero, maybe my favorit. But I can't really explain, while storywise he is so divers, my favorite superhero book isn't a batman story.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
    deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. He was the best batman writer we had in a while.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@izzy0292 said:

No. He was the best batman writer we had in a while.

You're joking right?

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is a genius. All run was great and Endgame is surely one of the best comic ever.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think he's overrated, but also overhated. Court of Owls is an undeniable modern classic, and Death of the Family was one of the best Joker stories in recent memory. I think the thing he gets hated on the most is his overabundance of exposition and symbols in his writing, as well as his endings which usually fall flat/anticlimactic. Still, his run isn't perfect (Zero Year Part 2 and the current story arc are his weakest imo)

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
    deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

arkhamace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By arkhamace

He works for me. I don't like split stories. This was one reason i quit superman. Up until now snyders batman affected the other books and it was solid. WWs book is now where it started. There was First Born but banned again. Now everyone is alive again without a lazarus pit. wow what a win - irony off. The justice league has too much strange characters and strange stories. to desribe it best i would say its just an action book with dc names. Harley Quinn is the best for me.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is ok. I don't love him or hate him.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to think he was a pretty solid Batman writer, but now I think he's weak.

CoO was undeniably his most original and best work. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

DotF was fun at first to read, but rereading it shows me that it is a very weak story. Nothing happens in it.

Zero Year was great, mostly because of the Riddler's depiction. I also loved Capullo's art here. The story was just... Passable.

Endgame was entertaining like DotF but weak on rereading it.

Superheavy is total garbage.

So yeah. I don't think he's all that great. He's average at best.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 year ago I wouldn't have said this, but now?

ooh yes

Avatar image for deactivated-60e9d095c91dd
    deactivated-60e9d095c91dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HES A LOSER

Avatar image for xmangog__beastx
    xMangog__Beastx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinervvvvv: You bumped a 3 year old thread just to say that? Snydercut and many people also disagree with you

Avatar image for deactivated-60e9d095c91dd
    deactivated-60e9d095c91dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for xmangog__beastx
    xMangog__Beastx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of agree. His stories feel pretty formulaic. He always builds things up to a conclusion, but then rips the rug out from underneath everything like it's supposed to be some kind of twist. Sometimes he does it more than once. Usually the first "ending" would be a lot more satisfying

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.