Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Should we expect more hate for the past Batmen now?

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Poll Should we expect more hate for the past Batmen now? (13 votes)

Yes, a storm's coming. 38%
    You're ridiculous 46%
    They're right to hate all the past Batmen now. 15%

Now that it's cool to love Ben Affleck as Batman should we expect a bunch of causal and hard core comic book fans alike to spit on the names of people who donned the cowl in the past? It seems to already be happening, people who praised the caped crusaders of the past are now claiming that Affleck is the only REAL Batman and that none of the others are even based on the comics. What do you guys think should we "batten down the hatches"? -Catwoman

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

People still love Keaton so no. There will always be those who will bash the former Batman actors but the majority won't and will just appreciate what Ben Affleck bring to the table. He is fighting Superman so that is a pretty big deal.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Every Batman has their good and bad. Me personally, my hate is with the script. It's not the actor, it's the character.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@pokeysteve: @jayc1324: I agree, it's really dumb pit different character adaption against each other (unless it's a battle) when they're not really meant to be compared. That's what I really appreciated about this cute specifically, we can accept each adaption for what they are. That's why we can love Batman the Brave and the Bold without constantly comparing it to Batman the Animated Series (just TAS not the rest of the DCAU).

I was debating with a friend, over why he should stop saying that Affleck will be a better Batman than Keaton and Bale, and I was trying to convince him that he shouldn't compare Affleck who is meant it be a definitive version of Batman to Bale who was just meant to be Batman. And I pretty much said this "I'm saying that one (Bale/TAS) is primarily about the story telling only occasionally focusing the physical aspect of the character, when the story revolves around it. This one gives you an in depth look at how this person thinks and why he does what he does. This Batman is more down to earth in his abilities as he is only facing human threats

The latter (Affleck/Brave and the Bold) is about how cool Batman is and how is is seen by other heroes. This Batman shows you why Batman CAN be Batman in a world with other beings more powerful than himself. This is the Batman that must be in a Justice League film.

At the end of the day neither can actually be BETTER than the other. You can prefer one though."

I wasn't saying that they're exactly like the shows I compared them too cause they aren't obviously but it felt like a valid comparison.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@ultrastarkiller:

I agree with most of what you said. Only thing I disagree with is that I believe one Batman CAN be better than the other by getting closer to his comic book self (minus kicking through trees). My favorite Batman is basically any one voiced by Kevin Conroy (Animated Series, Arkham games etc) since they usually combine the physical prowess AND the intelligence. With the live action versions, Bale was much more athletic but was dumber than a box of rocks. Keaton didn't do much fighting but his Batman was very intelligent. I think the hype surrounding Affleck is that those two aspects of the character will FINALLY be brought together. We'll have to wait and see and I guess.

Like you said though, I'm sure I'll enjoy Affleck's take just like I enjoy Animated, and live action and games even though Batman isn't even a character I really like haha.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that Bale was the best Batman/Bruce Wayne, and I really doubt Affleck can top him.

I wish Bale would have stayed on and just gotten some buffs for the new universe :(

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By w0nd

@pokeysteve said:

Every Batman has their good and bad. Me personally, my hate is with the script. It's not the actor, it's the character.

this.

I've never once said "this batman sucks, his actor is terrible" I realize all the problems I have are with the way he was written. The actor just acted the way he was told to

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArkhamWrath

I like Batman... and i don't like Affleck and any of his movies !!! Keaton is only actor (if we spoke about movies) which had most hard work to play Batman/Bruce... because no one before him gonna to play Bruce/Batman before him ! He don't had any previous actor to be better or bader of him... He somehow make that, and it don't was something spectacular... but he do a really good job, and it work !!!

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the internet, of course is going to happen.

If the whole Joss Whedon show something is how the internet citizens act.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yup

Kids tend to dislike things from before their time, so many of the next generation who grow up with Affleck as "their" Batman will most likely hate on the older Batmen to some extent (though many won't), people just generally gravitate to the latest things.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.