Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Should Batman have a gliding cape in the comics?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

Batman Begins introduced it. The Arkham Games then took from it a few years later and used it too.

In my opinion, it seems more convenient and smoother. The glider IMO looks to out of place, stiff and restricting.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zaied

I like the gliding cape a lot; it's one of the nice touches in the Nolan films, Arkham games, and TNBA.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Loading Video...

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 frozen  Moderator

@mrnoital: That seems more like a compact version of the traditional glider. It's nothing like the smooth and quick gliding seen in the Nolan films/Arkham games. Burton Batman was too stiff and immobile for him to achieve that.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why not ?

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@frozen: yeah, I just thought it was funny

but he should have some kind of gliding cape, otherwise every time he falls it might end up like this

Loading Video...

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Heck ya. That's like a part of Batman now.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MuyJingo

Batman Begins didn't introduce it, it popularized it. His cape was not used to glide previously as much as it is now, but it was certainly used that way.

Should it be a more prominent feature? Sure, it only makes sense.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes,

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Batman Begins introduced it. The Arkham Games then took from it a few years later and used it too.

In my opinion, it seems more convenient and smoother. The glider IMO looks to out of place, stiff and restricting.

He's actually using his cape as a glider all the time.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm all for it, and I agree that the glider looks out of place.

I'm pretty sure in Night of the Owls it showed he had one.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Yes, actually.

Avatar image for theamazingbatman760
    TheAmazingBatman760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes a 1000 times yes.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean he doesn't?!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

He has it in the Arkham games, and if he has it in the Arkham games then I support it 110%

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jashro44
    MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@nickzambuto said:

You mean he doesn't?!

@frozen said:

From batman #10 in court of the owls:

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag52/jashro/Batman-Zone027_zps8ca400df.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag52/jashro/Batman-Zone028_zps53d12bee.jpg

There are much earlier examples from the 90's, early 2000's.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: That doesn't surprise me I was just pointing out the first example that came to mind. Plus that one is more recent.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 frozen  Moderator

@jashro44: I would like to see the supposed earlier examples so I can edit my OP.

Anyway it makes sense for the gliding cape in Court of Owls. The handheld glider is just...stiff....

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@jashro44: I would like to see the supposed earlier examples so I can edit my OP.

Anyway it makes sense for the gliding cape in Court of Owls. The handheld glider is just...stiff....

@muyjingo might have the scans of the earlier ones.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hasn't he had the gliding cape for a long time.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

What made you think BB introduced it in the first place? It's been apparent in a bunch of Batman comics long before that movie. I won't have time to find scans for a few days, but I don't have my own scans on hand anyway. I know the Batman feats blog has a bunch of examples showing it in action though, so I would suggest looking through there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure the batman #10 thing counts. Batman begins showed an electrical current being passed through memory fiber cape to stiffen it (pretty sure thats how it works in arkham games too) and that's not what happened in batman #10. Memory fiber is not part of his cape in new 52.

Now, the glider from TAS would be perfect. He actually uaed that in court of owls storyline and it was really cool to see. But the cape from BB and arkham would be too much. He basically flies with his cape there, and that's too much for me in comics. Its awesome in movies and a sick gameplay feature but not for comics. He shouldn't need that, its better to see him jumping rooftops or using the batplane.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I'm not sure the batman #10 thing counts. Batman begins showed an electrical current being passed through memory fiber cape to stiffen it (pretty sure thats how it works in arkham games too) and that's not what happened in batman #10. Memory fiber is not part of his cape in new 52.

Now, the glider from TAS would be perfect. He actually uaed that in court of owls storyline and it was really cool to see. But the cape from BB and arkham would be too much. He basically flies with his cape there, and that's too much for me in comics. Its awesome in movies and a sick gameplay feature but not for comics. He shouldn't need that, its better to see him jumping rooftops or using the batplane.

I gotta say I'm a fan of a super-functional Batsuit including his cape, so I prefer him to use his cape to glide like in the games

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MuyJingo

@jayc1324: What Batman #10 thing?

The comics never elaborated on the mechanisms or even went int detail about how the cape allows him to glide.., indeed it was Batman Begins that introduced the memory cloth mechanism. But the concept that he can glide with his cape predates that by quite some time.

I strongly disagree about the glider...I think it's ridiculous to see him using that. Given how advanced his suit is, it doesn't make sense that he would use something some cumbersome as a glider. And he doesn't fly with the cape...he can only go down, never up. It's a perfect alternative to flying though...grappling hook up and down to glide.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: The instance of batman cape gliding in batman #10 I meant. And I agree with your first paragraph.

Part of the reason I liked he glider is because it reminded me of when he used it in TAS. I'm pretty sure Snyder mentioned that's why he had him use it actually. Back to basics, sometimes its cool to see him use something as simple as a glider. And yeah sure he can't literally fly with the cape gliding, but in the Arkham games, especially Arkham knight, he's going so fast and he can dive down then pull back up. Its essentially flying through the air. But I don't really see a reason for batman to need a gliding cape. He doesn't need to chase people on the air usually, and if he does he has the bat plane. That's all objective though.

*Edit- just checked the preview for batman #37 and it looks like he uses the glider there again too.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MuyJingo

@jayc1324: The glider worked in TAS, because it was a very stylized world...very backwards in some wars, very advanced in others. But in the actual comic world, things are far, far, far more advanced, and it simply doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense that he can have advanced lenses in his eyes, hologram disguises etc, and still have to use a hang glider.

I agree he shouldn't be able to glide like he does in the games, but I think being able to glide to some degree only makes. As a way to break falls, as a quick way to travel from great heights, as a way for dramatic entrances etc.

Besides, he tends to have jet packs when he needs it, is gliding via the cape any worse?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.