Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Sequel to The Dark Knight Rises

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Christopher Nolan ended his trilogy in exactly the way he wanted too. It was an excellent ending in my opinion and there is no question that it should remain the cinematic ending. My question is thus, would you interested in a sequel comic in the same vein as Smallville were Bruce and John deal with a larger DCU?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2 frozen  Moderator

No because it'd become too unrealistic. That's what happens when you adapt a movie into a comic, unless the movie is already unrealistic, which in this case it's really not. TDKR is great and has received acclaim from fans and critics, let's just leave it at that.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

No, because the Nolanverse was never meant to mix with the other elements of the DCU and I'm not exactly a fan of John Blake becoming a part of the DCU.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No. I'm done with the Nolanverse.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

No. I'm done with the Nolanverse.

This too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

We had Gotham knight so sure why not

Countbaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And what about Joker ? At end of The Dark Knight, he is leave to hanging... Later in ''rises'' we saw Crane and some other characters but not Joker... whats happen with him ? Sequel... ?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be the only version of Batman I would be interested in reading about in a comic.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe if they did something like this it would work.

This, this is awesome! DC just needs an "Ultimate" universe where they can try these unique ideas.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Maybe a spinoff of the Nolan Universe like a JGL Nightwing comic, or Catwoman one too but a Batman Nolan Universe comic is not necessary

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And what about Joker ? At end of The Dark Knight, he is leave to hanging... Later in ''rises'' we saw Crane and some other characters but not Joker... whats happen with him ? Sequel... ?

If you read the novelization he is the last inmate in Arkham. Unlike the comics/toons/games Nolan Arkham is pretty hard to escape, and Joker never did.

Toastergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A sequel comic is the best idea ever, but I don't think it should explore the larger DC Universe.

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mtrakos

I'd buy it

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hell no Rises made Bruce out to be a coward and a moron so the quicker i can forget about it the better

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414 said:

Maybe a spinoff of the Nolan Universe like a JGL Nightwing comic, or Catwoman one too but a Batman Nolan Universe comic is not necessary

Agreed. A League of Shadows book could also work.

A sequel comic is the best idea ever, but I don't think it should explore the larger DC Universe.

And this too.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frozen  Moderator

hell no Rises made Bruce out to be a coward and a moron so the quicker i can forget about it the better

No it didn't. He beat crime.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Prove it.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I'd pass. Already too many Bat-books.

I also think The Dark Knight Rises was an awful movie.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..Am I the only one who would have liked another Nolan film? They kind of set it up in TDKR for a new Robin to come along. Either way, I'm ready for another Batman film and I don't include Superman v Batman in that.

...Also, why all the hate for TDKR? I know we all haven't different tastes but I don't see why any Batman fan would think it was awful. I preferred it, personally to the much vaunted Dark Knight...

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 frozen  Moderator

No, I'd pass. Already too many Bat-books.

I also think The Dark Knight Rises was an awful movie.

TDKR is acclaimed. Deal with it.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: no he didnt you cant beat crime thats part of the tragity of superheroes that no matter what they do they cant win and yet they continue to fight any way

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: lol.... By who?

I understand that it is popular, I'm just voicing my own opinion that the movie was garbage and I hope they never go back to it, and that we're all better off if we try to forget it... But again, just voicing my own opinion.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

..Am I the only one who would have liked another Nolan film? They kind of set it up in TDKR for a new Robin to come along. Either way, I'm ready for another Batman film and I don't include Superman v Batman in that.

...Also, why all the hate for TDKR? I know we all haven't different tastes but I don't see why any Batman fan would think it was awful. I preferred it, personally to the much vaunted Dark Knight...

I don't hate TDKR but I do think that it wasn't all that great. The biggest problems in my eyes were plot inconsistencies, incomprehensible dialogue at times, a lot of characters were just thrown in just for fan service but really weren't needed, it was overly long and the score got really repetitive after awhile. Long story short it was really one of the few Nolan films where I thought Christopher Nolan half-assed the creative process, like his mind was on Interstellar while writing TDKR, it wasn't awful though but it should be no where near the top 50 all-time in IMDB.

Now would I have liked another Nolan film, sure maybe a shorter film, one focused on Bruce Wayne training John Blake (because good lord he needs it) and having it be like a mix between Nightwing and Batman Beyond could have been interesting and different, if Nolan's heart was in it.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@breadspread said:

@frozen: lol.... By who?

I understand that it is popular, I'm just voicing my own opinion that the movie was garbage and I hope they never go back to it, and that we're all better off if we try to forget it... But again, just voicing my own opinion.

Look for yourself. Rotten Tomatoes, 88% and AFI top 10 film of 2012 and IMDb 8.6/10.

Your opinion is a minority opinion, but hey, that's cool.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about a sequel comic, but I'd be interested in seeing more of this, since it's a fanmade sequel to Rises.

Loading Video...

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 frozen  Moderator

@frozen: no he didnt you cant beat crime thats part of the tragity of superheroes that no matter what they do they cant win and yet they continue to fight any way

Dude, he had nothing to fight. He had basically won and then retired.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: what do you mean nothing to fight their is always crime what becuase their arnt any psycos running around suddenly means he has no one to fight sorry thats bull their will always be crime or less what was the point in giving Black all his crap and faking his death awnser he was a coward that gave up

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: what do you mean nothing to fight their is always crime what becuase their arnt any psycos running around suddenly means he has no one to fight sorry thats bull their will always be crime or less what was the point in giving Black all his crap and faking his death awnser he was a coward that gave up

Putting the lives of others over his own desires=cowardice? interesting definition you have there.

@bezza said:

I don't hate TDKR but I do think that it wasn't all that great. The biggest problems in my eyes were plot inconsistencies, incomprehensible dialogue at times, a lot of characters were just thrown in just for fan service but really weren't needed, it was overly long and the score got really repetitive after awhile. Long story short it was really one of the few Nolan films where I thought Christopher Nolan half-assed the creative process, like his mind was on Interstellar while writing TDKR, it wasn't awful though but it should be no where near the top 50 all-time in IMDB.

Now would I have liked another Nolan film, sure maybe a shorter film, one focused on Bruce Wayne training John Blake (because good lord he needs it) and having it be like a mix between Nightwing and Batman Beyond could have been interesting and different, if Nolan's heart was in it.

Interstellar isn't due for another year,Nolan had sufficient time for it.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 frozen  Moderator

No, seriously watch the film. The police flat out state there is barely any crime. The worst is casual kids shoplifting. Batman has nothing to fight and that's what the movie showed.

Now I realize you mean the end of the film --- he retired at the end of TDK because crime went away, at the end of TDKR it was time to pass down his legacy.

If you read the story Batman: Legacy; you'll see there is a huge similarity between TDKR and that book.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Bullcrap his choice WAS personal desire over the what was right maybe if he died at the end you could be right but guess what he gave up and left to hook up with Selina thats it Batman is story of complete tragity he dosnt get to have the happy ending

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I did watch the movie and saying crime just ended is stupid and for a movie trying to be realist ending it a bullcrap happy ending just falls falt

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I did watch the movie and saying crime just ended is stupid and for a movie trying to be realist ending it a bullcrap happy ending just falls falt

Would the ending have been better for you if Bruce ended up sacrificing his life for Gotham, because there are a lot of people out there that think that and there is some merit to that idea.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 frozen  Moderator

Crime didn't end at the end of TDKR IIRC, but at the end of TDK. At the end of TDKR, he retires because he passes down his legacy --- read Batman: Legacy

You want realism? Retirement is realistic. It wasn't happy either --- the Dent Act is gone, crime would return but Blake would be expected to handle it.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: yes i would at least it would have ending the way a batman story should end tragicly

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I have read legacy and its crap bruce is the only real Batman there is and ever will be everyone else is trash

Retirement is not realistic for Bruce beucase tragity is at the core of the character he dosnt get to retire he dosnt get to run off into the sunset he fights until he is dead which is why kingdom come is my favorite verson of old Batman he dosnt waste his time handing over the name to some other loser he runs his body into the ground and instead of being a coward he buils himself an exoskeloton and keeps fighting thats how Batman should act

For Bruce it was a so called happy ending he just gives his shit over to Blake who has no training what so ever and goes off to bang Selina thats it no grand final sacrafic just some bullcrap ending about how we all can be Batman or what ever what a bunch of garbage

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@frozen: I have read legacy and its crap bruce is the only real Batman there is and ever will be everyone else is trash

Retirement is not realistic for Bruce beucase tragity is at the core of the character he dosnt get to retire he dosnt get to run off into the sunset he fights until he is dead which is why kingdom come is my favorite verson of old Batman he dosnt waste his time handing over the name to some other loser he runs his body into the ground and instead of being a coward he buils himself an exoskeloton and keeps fighting thats how Batman should act

For Bruce it was a so called happy ending he just gives his shit over to Blake who has no training what so ever and goes off to bang Selina thats it no grand final sacrafic just some bullcrap ending about how we all can be Batman or what ever what a bunch of garbage

That's just...not the way to think of it. Bruce is the best Batman --- the themes of the trilogy are prevalent throughout

Retirement is realistic. Look at the universe it's set in. He had endured a brutal fight with Bane, got stabbed between the plates and barely took out a nuke. TDKR is the last time he'd be able to operate as Batman.

Do you want to know what the real fairytale is? Bruce being Batman for a decade or two. That just...isn't happening in the Nolanverse. You want realism. There you go. How the hell is building an exoskeleton realistic? In what sense is that realistic? It's fantasy. The Nolan movies strayed away from that. He passed down his legacy to Blake. Whereas in contrast, the legacy of the LOS was explored.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Yes and he should have died saving the city

No this Batman building an exoskelton isnt realistic that wasnt my point it was that BATMAN DOSNT RETIRE no matter what even if it kills him thats Batman not that loser in Rises

and him passing the legacy down to Blake is retarded he has no training no skills no knowledge on how to use any of the gadgets and Bruce is like screw it here you go iam off to bang Selina have fun being Batman and most likely being killed on your first night out

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@lordofthenorth said:

@frozen: Yes and he should have died saving the city

No this Batman building an exoskelton isnt realistic that wasnt my point it was that BATMAN DOSNT RETIRE no matter what even if it kills him thats Batman not that loser in Rises

and him passing the legacy down to Blake is retarded he has no training no skills no knowledge on how to use any of the gadgets and Bruce is like screw it here you go iam off to bang Selina have fun being Batman and most likely being killed on your first night out

Died saving the city? Should Batman have died fighting Superman in The Dark Knight Returns? You know...scratch that --- if you're going to hold it comic standard then Batman shouldn't die. Period.

That's the point you forgot to mention, it contradicted your post. Batman does retire. If you're going to hold it to 'realism' then acknowledge the Nolanverse operates differently. 6 months of being Batman tore up his body, Batman in the comics can be Batman for 10 years or longer. They operate within a different set of physics and rules.

Right, it's not like Batman didn't nearly get himself killed in Year One. Or that Gordon and his police didn't nearly shoot him in Batman Begins. He leaves Blake with his equipment, the rest is for us our imagination. Batman took out a nuke in TDKR and was probably loosing mass amounts of blood while doing so, in TDK Lucius tells him that knives can penetrate his suit. There is no way he can legitimately be Batman again.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LordoftheNorth

@frozen: in the dark knight returns Batman was useing his death to do something bigger he didnt fake his death so he could live happly ever after or anything like that

No it dosnt contradict my statment you have no idea what your talking about becuase nowhere have i said he shouldnt fail or get hurt my problem is that Bruce dosnt retire he dosnt get to run off with the girl and have 2.5 kids. batman dies or he continues the fight forever thats part of the tragity of the character becuase as seen in Returns when he was forced to retire his life became meaningless thus the only thing he had to look forward to was his own death that is until he became Batman again and Saying what happens with Blake is up to our imagineations is stupid their is only one way that can end with Blake dieing the first time he goes out as Batman

thats the point iam trying to make at the end of Rises Bruce cant be Batman any more so the only right way to end that story was for Bruce to die in that explosion thus giving everything to save the city but by faking his death he is walking away from Gotham and just hope shit works out just so he can be happy

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 frozen  Moderator

@frozen: in the dark knight returns Batman was useing his death to do something bigger he didnt fake his death so he could live happly ever after or anything like that

No it dosnt contradict my statment you have no idea what your talking about becuase nowhere have i said he shouldnt fail or get hurt my problem is that Bruce dosnt retire he dosnt get to run off with the girl and have 2.5 kids. batman dies or he continues the fight forever thats part of the tragity of the character becuase as seen in Returns when he was forced to retire his life became meaningless thus the only thing he had to look forward to was his own death that is until he became Batman again and Saying what happens with Blake is up to our imagineations is stupid their is only one way that can end with Blake dieing the first time he goes out as Batman

thats the point iam trying to make at the end of Rises Bruce cant be Batman any more so the only right way to end that story was for Bruce to die in that explosion thus giving everything to save the city but by faking his death he is walking away from Gotham and just hope shit works out just so he can be happy

And supposedly the original ending was for him to die. You know that in the sequel to Dark Knight Returns he kills Dick Grayson?

...Yes, it does. He doesn't have kids either --- you're making this crap up. You said it's not realistic for Bruce to retire, I say it is. The Nolanverse is realistic to the extent that there will be no exoskeletons of any sort, Bruce will not be Batman until he's 50 either. He retires in Returns because Todd dies, he does the same sort of retirement at the end of TDK. The difference is crime went away in the Nolanverse. Bruce nearly died as his first time as Batman too, in a number of instances.

He walks away. He can't be Batman anymore, there is no way his body would operate well enough to be Batman in that universe again.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: But he dosnt die even if he did that still proves my point and so what if he kills Dick what the hell does that matter

Your a moron if you notice i said 2.5 kids one you cant have half a kid and two thats the average amount of childern Americans have so its a cliche of a so called happy life

No it is not realistic becuase it dosnt fit the character of Batman. and apperantly you cant read becuase the point about the exoskeleton was about the CHARCTER of Batman iam not saying nolans batman should have worn one.

No Bruce didnt retire becuase of Jason that is a huge misconception about that story. Did it help get Bruce to retire with all the other heros yes but it wasnt the reason Superman comes right out and says that they all agreed to it.

I dont know why you keep saying crime went away iam sorry but that is moronic you cant claim the realism that Bruce distoried his body than turn around and claim by magic their is no more crime in Gotham thats insane

Yes Bruce nearly died a couple times but guess what he didnt becuase of his training and his intellagance Blake has neither of these

And thats why Nolan should have let him die becuase the character of Batman shows that he whould never just walk away he would do everything in his power to help thse in need even if it means taking on a oracle like role becuase batman dosnt retire certainly not with some random woamn he barley knows and betrayed him like 3 times

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@lordofthenorth:

but he dosnt die even if he did that still proves my point and so what if he kills Dick what the hell does that matter

No Caption Provided

Your a moron if you notice i said 2.5 kids one you cant have half a kid and two thats the average amount of childern Americans have so its a cliche of a so called happy life

So basically you just made it up of them having kids? Cool. If you read Batman's history, you'll know that the original Golden Age Batman did settle down with Catwoman and have one kid...it's not that bad

No it is not realistic becuase it dosnt fit the character of Batman. and apperantly you cant read becuase the point about the exoskeleton was about the CHARCTER of Batman iam not saying nolans batman should have worn one.

I'm pretty sure you asserted that he should have had an exoskeleton, as I pointed out he couldn't be Batman for that long due to the semi-realism in the Nolanverse. Exoskeletons don't exist in the Nolanverse. The closest he came to one was his leg brace. That was it.

Are you expecting this?

No Caption Provided

Because that's just not happening. It was made clear from Batman Begins that ^ type of Batman isn't happening. That was 7 years to accept that.

No Bruce didnt retire becuase of Jason that is a huge misconception about that story. Did it help get Bruce to retire with all the other heros yes but it wasnt the reason Superman comes right out and says that they all agreed to it.

They all agreed to it. Jason's death was one of the primary reasons. He goes down to look at his costume during the night and vow to never become Batman again, though he does, it kept him away for a decade. Whereas the other heroes retired for their own reasons, Jason's death plunged Batman down.

I dont know why you keep saying crime went away iam sorry but that is moronic you cant claim the realism that Bruce distoried his body than turn around and claim by magic their is no more crime in Gotham thats insane

I said there was no crime at the end of The Dark Knight (2008). Most of it was white collar crime and he could not tackle that. The physical crime was too minor for Batman to do anything. He had already won at the end of the film. In regards to The Dark Knight Rises (2012) --- he saved the city from a nuke, took a fatal stab wound and beat down Bane. I think he won in his own personal battle, whereas he left everything to Blake. We literally do not know what happens after TDKR.

es Bruce nearly died a couple times but guess what he didnt becuase of his training and his intellagance Blake has neither of these

Bruce is a fighter. Blake is a detective Batman --- so if he did become Batman, he'd take on the role of the detective I'd imagine. He was able to figure out Bruce's identity, which is something the comic-book Batman would be able to do. Bruce was never much of a detective in the films; so I imagine that Blake became the 'Detective Batman'.

Also, Catwoman was able to take on mercenaries and her training was ambiguous at best. Blake would not be dealing with mercenaries.

And thats why Nolan should have let him die becuase the character of Batman shows that he whould never just walk away he would do everything in his power to help thse in need even if it means taking on a oracle like role becuase batman dosnt retire certainly not with some random woamn he barley knows and betrayed him like 3 times

So why doesn't Batman just throw Selena in jail in other incarnations? Why did the original Batman marry Selena? The Batman Beyond version of Batman is a generic and dumbed down version who acts as 'Oracle'. The film showed that Bruce had finished his tenure and passed it down to Blake, honestly that is more realistic than carrying on. Batman in the cartoons can fight until he's 70, Batman in the Nolan movies can do no such thing.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..I know we all have different tastes, but I am still stunned that Batman fans wouldn't enjoy TDKR. Compared with rubbish like Batman Returns its a masterpiece! And even Batman returns is enjoyable in parts....

TheChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

..I know we all have different tastes, but I am still stunned that Batman fans wouldn't enjoy TDKR. Compared with rubbish like Batman Returns its a masterpiece! And even Batman returns is enjoyable in parts....

TDKR is acclaimed by most fans --- there is the whole 'Marvel vs DC' feud which has plunged fandom.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By entropy_aegis

@thechief said:

@bezza said:

TDKR is acclaimed by most fans --- there is the whole 'Marvel vs DC' feud which has plunged fandom.

Agreed but it's not the typical Marvel vs DC fanboyism when it comes to TDKR,you also have to consider that DC fans also hate TDKR and it's all cause Nolan didn't go the Marvel route by establishing a DC universe and cause he made his world very grounded.

Awfully limited mind you have there,no wonder Batman comics have gone downhill these days,and need I mention Legacy didn't even have multiple Batmen,it was a Bane and Ra's team up.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis:

But surely only a minority of DC fans hate TDKR. I know a number of DC fans and they all love and in general surely most Batman fans would be grateful for Nolan's films in that they cemented Batman's position as the most popular character in the DC world by far and possibly most popular of all, although I feel Spiderman runs Batman close!

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with whoever said if they continued the Nolanverse into a comic they would have started to make it too unrealistic. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Smallville Season 11 comic series, but halfway through it started too incorporate a bit too much non-believeable elements. Not that the idea of half of the stuff that was on the show was so believable to begin with, but you know what I mean.

Crazy_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofthenorth: The Nolan movies are based in realism. Nolan's Bruce has a slightly different goal than the comic Bruce, his goal is to rid Gotham of organised crime and corruption. You can't destroy crime completely, Nolan Bruce decided to attack the root cause instead of the symptoms in Gotham. By ridding it of organised crime and removing the corruption Gotham would become less of a cesspit and more of an actual normal city. At the end of The Dark Knight he accomplishes this with the Dent act, so he is no longer needed.

In The Dark Knight Rises the League threatens the tenuous peace Bruce had accomplished so he had to become Batman again. Then, at the end of the movie, he realizes that Gotham will always need someone to watch it and make sure crime stayed down, which is why he left Blake to inherit the legacy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.