Scott Snyder: Love him or Hate him?

• 75 results
#1 Posted by sockman19 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its about time a topic be dedicated to Snyder. People are constantly discussing him on other threads so might as well dedicate one solely to him.

Snyder is pretty hit or miss for most people. When the New 52 started everyone seemed to like him. But recently it seems like its 'cool' to hate him now.

I think he's a pretty great writer still. People are always saying he rips off other writers but I honestly dont see it. He has a unique style. And it reads more to me that he respects elements created by other writers than it does that he "rips them off".

#2 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither. Snyder has written some great stuff (his 'Tec run, his Swamp Thing run) and some weak stuff (his Batman run). Therefore, he's not one of my favorites, but I clearly don't dislike his work either. Overall, the good outweighs the bad so I like him.

#3 Edited by The_Tree (7209 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's an okay writer. I really enjoyed The Black Mirror and The Court of Owls, and I found The City of Owls good but not nearly on the same level as the aforementioned books. However, I didn't like Death of the Family or Gates of Gotham, and I thought that the latest issue of Batman was pretty weak. I can't judge him on his independent works, though, as I've yet to read any of them.

#4 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1668 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, Snyder's not perfect, but who is? He's a great writer, despite some minor negative elements one can find in his work. Still have faith in him.

#5 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3483 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never met him. But I've enjoyed a lot of his work.

#6 Posted by War Killer (19971 posts) - - Show Bio

He's currently my favorite Batman writer at the moment, love his work.

#7 Posted by Xwraith (15274 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read enough of his work to really have an opinion, but for everyone I hear who hates him there's another who's like OMGZBESTESTBATMANWRITEREVERZZZ!!!!

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

I never read anything by him I've hated. 'Tec, American Vampire and Severed were amazing. His runs on Batman and Swamp Thing have been good with moments of greatness. Guy writes a couple of off issues and people are ready to crucify him.

#9 Posted by Lvenger (18307 posts) - - Show Bio

I do think Snyder's a good writer who has moments of greatness eg Batman 5-6 and 13-14 and most of his stories like The Black Mirror and Court of Owls I have enjoyed a lot. However Snyder does have flaws in his writing. But in spite of this he is quite an up comer so I'm tentatively looking forward to Superman Unchained. Overall he's a good writer but he has a way to go to being a truly great writer.

#11 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

He's doing great things with Batman. Haven't read anything else he writes.

#12 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio

He's inconsistent, but I like him.

#13 Posted by havoc1201 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

I love his take on Batman, i liked how he didnt go the cliche route in DOTF and kill off a character i think it showed balls and real talent to tell a good story, even though a lot of people didnt like it. American Vampire is great his detective run was amazing all in all i think he is doing a great job and yes he is not perfect but who is.

#14 Posted by MuyJingo (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read other stuff outside of his Batman run. Not a fan, he changes stuff without good reason or improvement, and writes the character in a way that I don't think is true. Would much rather have someone else take over.

#15 Posted by judasnixon (6186 posts) - - Show Bio

I was never a real Batman fan, but Scott has to be one of the nicest guys on the planet. I can't speak ill of the man.......

#16 Posted by PopRock123 (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Never met the dude but I do know one think I love his run on Batman.

#17 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good writer because his run on Swamp Thing made me a fan of the character but he has some bad showings also.For example Death of the Family was his worst story arc since the start of his run on Batman but Court of Owls was amazing.I'm really with mixed feelings now because Zero Year.

#18 Posted by SupBatz (1690 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a little while during Death of the Family when I lost faith in him. But I really like the conclusion he chose to end the arc with so my faith was easily restored.

I haven't read his entire Swamp Thing run yet but what I have read of it was great. So all around I'd say I like his writing.

#19 Posted by redhoodnet (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Love him.

For my money he is the best writer in comics right now and I am not just talking about his Batman stuff. Swamp Thing and American Vampire both rock.

#20 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read his Batman stuff. Black Mirror is the best thing of his I have read. I don't like his Batman run because he makes Batman too weak in it. It just bothers me so much that Batman can be caught in a net like a chump

#21 Posted by Dabee (2380 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Snyder is a God among men. Love Batman and Swamp Thing.

#22 Posted by Saren (25277 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh him.

#23 Edited by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't love or hate him. However, He's doing a wonderful job on Batman at the moment and I hope he stays on it for a while!

#24 Posted by consolemaster001 (4943 posts) - - Show Bio

That love is slowly turning to hate

#25 Posted by sockman19 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read Batman 18. I thought it was pretty good. Nice to see batman from someone else's eyes. and I like Harper's personality. I actually wouldnt mind if they made her a part of the Batfamily someday.

#26 Posted by misterfuffles (16 posts) - - Show Bio

While I think he is talented writer with stories to tell, I just do not care for his work. His writing is really solid and he often showcases interesting ideas like American Vampire, to me his works just lack some sort of greatness that other writers have achieved, and his works more often than not just have a blandness and not being as captivating as it could be, or even should be. However, I don love his run on Swamp Thing, since it is the work that make me start buying monthly comics, after a long period of just reading trades of old classics such as Hellblazer and Sandman.

#27 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I do like his work. Black Mirror is one of my favorite Batman stories and I enjoyed Court of Owls. I haven't read his independent stuff yet because I just don't have the money and haven't really gotten around to it. As others have said, his good stuff outweighs the bad.

#28 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

He's good.

#29 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he can write very well. I liked Black Mirror a lot, frex. But his New 52 Batman has left something to be desired. Specifically, his conclusions. Court of Owls and City of Owls and Death of the Family have amazing build up, a lot of tension, and then....it just dissipates. I mean the great conclusion to Death of the Family....was just the family moping around a bit.

#30 Posted by batback (5 posts) - - Show Bio

his stories sometimes lack conclusions, but snyder is my favorite batman writer of all time.

#31 Posted by thejman250 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

- I highly dislike Snyder's run on Batman as it has been mediocre at best, and the best was the court of the owls arc.

- I honestly can't wait until Snyder is off of this book. Until then, i might be dropping this book after Zero Year if it continues downhill.

#32 Edited by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

I think he's an okay writer. I really enjoyed The Black Mirror and The Court of Owls, and I found The City of Owls good but not nearly on the same level as the aforementioned books. However, I didn't like Death of the Family or Gates of Gotham, and I thought that the latest issue of Batman was pretty weak. I can't judge him on his independent works, though, as I've yet to read any of them.

This. I think his characterization of Joker was too loving, and it got weird towards the end of DotF.

@thejman250 said:

- I highly dislike Snyder's run on Batman as it has been mediocre at best, and the best was the court of the owls arc.

- I honestly can't wait until Snyder is off of this book. Until then, i might be dropping this book after Zero Year if it continues downhill.

Who should replace him? I can't think of anyone because I don't know many writers.

Edit: Forgot to write "know" before "many writers."

#33 Posted by thejman250 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

This. I think his characterization of Joker was too loving, and it got weird towards the end of DotF.

@thejman250 said:

Who should replace him? I can't think of anyone because I don't many writers.

- That's honestly a good question.

- As much a i hate Morrison i'd be OK with him coming back as long as he doesn't do too many crossovers or kill off my favorite character. Additionally, being that Jason has his own book, i doubt he's getting killed off (again) any time soon. Moreover, Morrison's stories may be convoluted, and sometimes not even very good, but i did like his Bruce Wayne specifically because of certain traits.

- With all that being said, Lobdell could decide to write it, or maybe Johns as well.

#34 Posted by glfmntn (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder is probably my favorite writer right now. I have enjoyed almost of all the titles he has written. Severed is probably my least favorite thing he has done so far. Some of the criticisms definitely have some merit, especially mentions of his stories not paying off at the end, but this seems to occurring on his DC titles more than anything so I believe that editorial has something to do with it there. I imagine the end of DotF would have been different had Damian not have been scheduled to be killed.

#35 Edited by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman250: I have to agree, though I don't think Morrison is the best writer, he would probably write something better than DotF. Who knows though, maybe Zero Year will have a satisfying ending (It better).

@glfmntn: Still, even if he couldn't do his original ending because of Morrison's schedule, it could have been a better ending. I'd just like something like the ending of Hush, where Batman confronts the master schemer and the various loose ends of the arc are wrapped up.

#36 Edited by thejman250 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman250: I have to agree, though I don't think Morrison is the best writer, he would probably write something better than DotF. Who knows though, maybe Zero Year will have a satisfying ending (It better).

@glfmntn: Still, even if he couldn't do his original ending because of Morrison's schedule, it could have been a better ending. I'd just like something like the ending of Hush, where Batman confronts the master schemer and the various loose ends of the arc are wrapped up.

- Hopefully, it will.

- Additionally, we can hope that it will make sense of continuity with this 5 year time period business and maybe explain more about the joker's origin, because as of right now i find that character to be incredibly ridiculous for a multitude of reasons.

#37 Posted by Hanson724 (552 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read his current Batman run and really enjoyed up to issue 12. DoTF was ok at best IMO . I'm not interested in zero year at all so issue 18 is my last of Batman for at least 11 issues I guess. Having said all that I can't wait for his Superman Unchained. Oh and... Please no Morrison...don't dig him at all. To each their own but I'm glad he's off Action.

#38 Posted by edge007 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably the best Batman has been since the Brubaker/Rucka era.

#39 Posted by gettogaara (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't say I love him but I really have been enjoying his Batman run despite some of the criticism it's been getting.

#40 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Snyder.I loved the Court Of Owls and the Death of the Family story arc,but I think someone should have died in that arc.Probably Alfred or Damian.

#41 Posted by maurdakar (34 posts) - - Show Bio

He's good, really good, but it's clear he has been 'chosen'. His grooming is interesting to watch.

I wish he would fight harder for his titles, because it's clear editorial is milking him in a really obscene way. He knows story structure and plotting better than to have encouraged all the abuse of DotF, and I wonder how he feels about Morrison's meta dick-slap. Maybe he doesn't want to risk his future? That's just what I sense.

#42 Edited by Cap10nate (2156 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy his stories for the most part. I think he is fantastic at building suspense, but as some people have mentioned, some of the endings fall flat. Court of Owls was a great story, but it was basically just the first half of the whole Owls arc with Night of Owls which wasn't that special to me.

I was really enjoying Swamp Thing but 18 issues, a zero issue, and an annual were way too much for the whole Rot World story. I think it actually started around issue 11 or 12 but it just went on and on and on. The actual Rot World story wasn't fantastic although the epilogue in issue 18 was great.

#43 Posted by nightwing89 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I've enjoyed his work for the most part. Didn't like Death of the Family anywhere near as much as The Court of Owls, but still. While not directly a Batman book, I think what he's done with Talon thus far is wonderful

#44 Posted by Z3RO180 (6307 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his stuff black mirror freaked me out witch was awesome cause I have never been freaked out by a book before. Looking forward to his superman book.

#45 Posted by thejman250 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

He's good, really good, but it's clear he has been 'chosen'. His grooming is interesting to watch.

I wish he would fight harder for his titles, because it's clear editorial is milking him in a really obscene way. He knows story structure and plotting better than to have encouraged all the abuse of DotF, and I wonder how he feels about Morrison's meta dick-slap. Maybe he doesn't want to risk his future? That's just what I sense.

- He knew that Morrison was going to kill of Damian before he started making DOTF. Anything that happened as a result of Morrison's story(in relation to DOTF) was a result of Snyder's incompetence.

#46 Posted by consolemaster001 (4943 posts) - - Show Bio

@stronger said:

I think someone should have died in that arc.Probably Alfred or Damian.

Damian was being saved for batman inc.

#47 Edited by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

@stronger said:

I think someone should have died in that arc.Probably Alfred or Damian.

Damian was being saved for batman inc.

So true.

#48 Posted by SlayerOFEVIL (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is his book, and I LOOOOOVE it, Honestly his run has the potential to surpass Grant Morrison's. Thanks to his poetic death of the family, and night of the owls storylines. Not to mention the Black Mirror, which is a scary as balls read.

#49 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

There are some good points in his work but generally speaking I don't like his work for a number of reasons.

#50 Posted by GeoKnowsBest (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Average to below average. His Batman run has been pathetic though, with one exception, Harper Row.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.