Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo Talk BATMAN #48 and Reveal Plans for Issue 50 and Beyond

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

BATMAN #48 is on sale this week. Mister Bloom has unleashed his attack against Gotham City and it's up to Jim Gordon to try to stop him. What about Bruce Wayne? He ran into an unexpected person in the park that will have big repercussions for Bruce and the title.

We spoke with Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo about what's going on and the two even revealed some spoilers for issue 50 and beyond. Take a look at what you can expect this week and what we have to look forward to.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: The bench scene (with Bruce and Joker) was amazing. What was the process like in planning the visual layout? Did you guys discuss the panel layout on the pages and what would be focused on?

SCOTT SNYDER: I really leave it to Greg. In terms of a scene like with Joker and Batman, the intense emotion, and the Hitchcock feel, I know Greg is exponentially better at this stuff than I am. I’ll just say what the feel is or I’ll give him the dialogue. I’ll just sort of say, “He gets up” or “He grabs him.” There’s some action, but in terms of how it’s directed and how it’s cut is all Greg. I just get excited to see what he does.

GREG CAPULLO: Just an example, the Joker says something cryptic about fighting or whatever and it turns out he’s talking about the bench. So I just start the shot where you don’t see the characters’ faces. It’s focused more on the bench where Joker’s hand touching the bench. That’ll go nicely with the dialogue. It makes for an interesting shot instead of just headshot, headshot, headshot, headshot. Almost like the old jeans commercials where you didn’t know they were selling jeans.

CV: Are you guys just toying with us about what Joker may or may not remember?

SCOTT: Yeah. The thing I love about the character is there’s no answers with him ever. He always visits a Batman story, in some ways, at that sort of crucial moment to wrestle with this same eternal question between them. To me, at least in our iteration of Batman, “Does my mission, does my life, does life in general have meaning?”

The fun thing about this scene is they kind of take reverse positions. Bruce is at a point where he says, “If I just built all this and I’m in love and I do this, what’s the point if it all just vanishes? Joker is the one that says, “Maybe the point is that we were here and we did what we could.” That’s the message Batman usually gives to people. You do what you can and you be the hero that you can in the time you have. In that way, it’s sort of like he’s someone who shows up to continue this same conversation they’re always having. Usually it’s more more violent. He never really reveals his true kind of card hand. He’s always there to push the question further than you want it to go.

CV: We’ve seen a few different incarnations of the Joker in this series alone. Have you thought about what he might be like next time he actually makes his move?

GREG: I think we’ll go with pink hair maybe next time.

SCOTT: Yeah, it’s funny because every time we write him or we do him together, I’m always like, “Oh, this is the last time.” In the interim between this and when Greg comes back, I have a couple ideas. I’d love to use him again, but I think there’s a lot of characters we haven’t approached. There’s a lot of stories we haven’t done he doesn’t feature as much. I think if I wrote him again, I would try something very different. I have two stories in mind. One is sort of a future one and one is a very quiet, dark, small Joker one. So…maybe. [laughs]

No Caption Provided

CV: Greg, do you prefer Bruce with or without the beard?

GREG: Well I’ve gotten used to him with the beard, but certainly I wouldn’t want the beard poking out of the cowl. Let’s just put it that way. When he doesn’t have the cowl, I think he looks pretty cool with the beard.

CV: I guess he’s going to have to shave.

SCOTT: Greg drew him in my favorite panel from 50. Spoiler, 50 opens with the Bat-sink. It’s like the sink in the cave. The drain is actually bat-shaped. On the side of the sink is a razor and the beard is clearly in the sink. It opens with, “It’s time.”

GREG: Some people are bound to shed a tear over that.

SCOTT: My wife loves him with the beard. Which frustrates me because I can’t grow a beard.

CV: It’s been mentioned what Bruce remembers and what he doesn’t after Endgame. Does Bruce still have all his muscle memory of being Batman?

SCOTT: No, he really does not. I think the idea we’ve tried to really hold to and make clear as strongly as we can is he doesn’t have amnesia. It’s not like he’s forgotten. His brain has been entirely re-written. The memories that he had are just no longer there. It’s not a matter of it just being underneath or being forgotten. It’s a matter of it just not existing. If you attacked him, he couldn’t suddenly fight. It’s just not there in his body. In the end, I think the next question for 49 is really, how the hell is he going to come back? When he does, one of the fun things with 50 is, is he going to be changed at all? Maybe I’m just spoiling stuff because I’m high on the pages Greg just sent minutes ago from 50. Since he’s physically healed, if he came back as Batman this way, he’d be faster and stronger than ever. Which would lead to some pretty badass scenes.

CV: We got a tiny tease about what Duke Thomas discovers in this issue. Will there be more on that in 49 or will we have to wait for 50?

No Caption Provided

SCOTT: It’s an answer to what happened to his parents. The way that Gotham operates is his story really crescendos in 50. One of the fun things is Bruce’s emotional story really crescendos in the next issue, in 49. Here he’s at his lowest and Joker almost gives him the kind of push he needs to be able to be like, “It’s okay to let go. This mattered, and I can go back and be who I was—if I can figure out a way of doing it.”

50 is really the crescendo of both Jim Gordon’s story and Duke’s story. If Bruce should come back in that [laughs] and be really tough and amazing, the return of that Bruce will allow for just crazy fun. His emotional story would have ended when he turned back. We need Bruce and he’s really tore up against the Joker or whatever emotionally. It’s always fun and there’s a lot of stakes. I’ve never been able to write him when there’s lower stakes emotionally.

CV: Also in issue 48, Mister Bloom talks about all the seeds he’s hidden around Gotham. Will this be left open so there could still be seeds hidden around the city to be discovered and grant powers to others?

SCOTT: Yeah, that story gets bigger and crazier and crazier as Greg could attest to in issue 50. People start fighting him everywhere very quickly. That leads to more and more mayhem, not just because people are fighting with each other but because he has a bigger plot. He has even worse things planned for Gotham. Ultimately, the more people that take seeds, the more powerful he gets. On top of that, there’s another mechanism that it sets off that’s even more scary. So yeah, that story continues and gets bigger and nuttier. Maybe we’ll come back to the seeds. I had a couple writers ask if they could use seeds post-Superheavy so maybe you’ll see them pop up other places as well.

GREG: We’re not paying you any royalties for your ideas.

[laughs]

CV: As far as post-Greg, when can we expect an announcement as far as someone semi-permanent or rotating on the art?

SCOTT: Let me answer that. I promise you’ll hear when we get to that point. I want to make it really clear that these issues are really about celebrating Greg. I certainly have plans I’m excited about, but right now I’m focused on and what I want everyone focused on is enjoying the best artist on BATMAN in decades and the best artist in comics working on this character. He’s been doing such amazing things with him. I want everyone to enjoy and revel in it and not worry about what’s next right now just because there’s so much good stuff left. 50 is forty pages of Greg’s amazingness. 51 is also an issue I’m very very proud of. There’s a ton of stuff left with him and a chance, I think, to just celebrate and enjoy one of the greats.

GREG: Thank you!

CV: We’re all sad.

SCOTT: He’s coming back! We’re gonna have tons of fun.

GREG: I want to make sure everybody misses me. So I’m making issue 50 as crazy as I could possibly make it.

Be sure to pick up BATMAN #48 this week. Here's the preview for the issue.

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Great interview Tony! It's always nice to read an interview with these guys. But, I'm confused...is Greg Capullo done with Batman forever? I remember reading that he was taking a short break and then returning. Is that still the case? I feel like I'm getting mixed messages from some of the coverage on other websites. Mr. Capullo will be coming back to Batman at some point right?

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@neoathanasius:

He's definitely coming back, basically what they were saying at the end of the article was that Scott wants all the attention on Greg instead of the new artist. Like whenever someone new is anounced to join a book everybody is usually talking about that than the people still on the book, so Scott's trying to make sure that everybody has their attention on Greg until he leaves which sounds like it's either issue 51 or 52 I think.....not sure exactly when he leaves.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@neoathanasius:

He's going to be back.

CV: We’re all sad.

SCOTT: He’s coming back! We’re gonna have tons of fun.

Also, here's the interview we did with them at NYCC when Greg announced he was taking a break.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this looks good and that bench scene is eerie

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Good news

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm just really curious at to what's in store next for Batman, too bad they didn't revealled any details

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: @ultimatepower6: Thanks! I think I need to stop reading certain other sites. Ha-ha! I appreciate that Comic Vine doesn't report rumors.

ithorian123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Fabok please!!!!

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd really prefer if they just not use Joker anymore.

That cover for issue 48 is great though.

Michiel1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not many artists besides Jim Lee should get back onto Batman post issue #50...

He would be one of the very few artists that could continue the amazing run of Batman without ending up as disappointing.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next guys already feeling the pressure. It can either go two ways and that's great or terrible for him. I'm optimistic.

Bruce should really keep the beard for his All New Slightly Different Batman. Maybe slightly redesign the cowl around it.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Excellent interview! Can't wait to read this.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's one handsome Joker.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Fabok please!!!!

Fabok needs to stay on JL so we can get the best WW design in comics showing up at least somewhere in the DCU.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

color your comic! also

ruin your comic !

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Capullo will be missed,his work is phenomenal.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sad to have Capullo leaving this title.

I don't see Ivan Reis anywhere. Maybe he could step up on Batman? I'd actually love that.

Guess we'll have to wait a month to find out who Capullo's succesor will be.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm still curious about how Jim Gordon and 60+ year old man is able to put on the bat suit and go out and fight crime... this never made any sense what-so-ever. I get it when he's in the mechanical suit... but outside? I think I'm not the only one as I heard they were desperate to get Bruce back and moved up the plans. If he has no memory of being Batman and doesn't know how to fight... how the hell is he coming back at all is kinda my question...

kryptronic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody but Jock, please. Capullo has been wonderful. Fabok or Lee would be great.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still curious about how Jim Gordon and 60+ year old man is able to put on the bat suit and go out and fight crime... this never made any sense what-so-ever. I get it when he's in the mechanical suit... but outside? I think I'm not the only one as I heard they were desperate to get Bruce back and moved up the plans. If he has no memory of being Batman and doesn't know how to fight... how the hell is he coming back at all is kinda my question...

i believe they clarified that gordon is supposed to be about 48ish......

As far as this article goes, the super heavy story has been good, and after reading issue # 48 today, that last page got me literally jumping out of my chair. can't wait for issues 49 and 50.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackkitty said:

As far as this article goes, the super heavy story has been good, and after reading issue # 48 today, that last page got me literally jumping out of my chair. can't wait for issues 49 and 50.

He'd have to be. Based off of looks alone there's no way he's in his 60's. And it makes sense since they reduced the ages of Bruce and all the other adults. Why wouldn't Gordon follow along as well?

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 said:
    @blackkitty said:

He'd have to be. Based off of looks alone there's no way he's in his 60's. And it makes sense since they reduced the ages of Bruce and all the other adults. Why wouldn't Gordon follow along as well?

i was under the impression since reading the new 52/ new DC that bruce might be somewhere in his early 40s. back in 90s and earlier i know and remember gordon had a white mustache and hair, which would lead me to believe back then he was in his 60s. i also recall reading recently that tim drake is a teenager? like 16 or or so, and grayson should be in his 30s, and jason todd late 20s....

if anyone knows for a fact of their ages please chime in.

Chronos96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this issue, so good!

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 Bruce is 32, Dick is 21, Tim is 16, Barbara's also 21, Damian's 10/11, Luke Fox (Not that many people care I imagine lol) is 23

Jason's then still older than Tim, but younger than Dick with the exact age not being known. People typically guess he's around 19.

EDIT: And if Snyder and Capullo clarified it in an interview somewhere then Jim Gordon is around 48 or so.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: kinda hard to figure out their ages considering these characters have been around quite a long time.

I do recall seeing in the begining of the superheavy arc gordon mentioned he's 48.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 said:

@nathaniel_christopher: kinda hard to figure out their ages considering these characters have been around quite a long time.

I do recall seeing in the begining of the superheavy arc gordon mentioned he's 48.

They've just been mentioned throughout the New 52, like Gordon from what you're saying. Bruce's for example was mentioned during Batman Endgame and Tim's during the current Batman and Robin Eternal.

Avatar image for deactivated-59953d77c6a44
    deactivated-59953d77c6a44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people hold Scott Snyder up like a god? His Batman run was good but not amazing

Haloprogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@blackkitty said:

he said in issue #41 or 42 that he was 46 actually when harvey said he looked as though he was 60 (something like that, was a while ago I read it afterall)

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artistsupreme: you take that back right now! Truth is, I kinda agree. His batman has been some greatness and some a little off. I do really enjoy capullo doing the pencils and will miss him. I thought Snyder was better on swampy

Avatar image for deactivated-59953d77c6a44
    deactivated-59953d77c6a44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artistsupreme: you take that back right now! Truth is, I kinda agree. His batman has been some greatness and some a little off. I do really enjoy capullo doing the pencils and will miss him. I thought Snyder was better on swampy

I love Capullo's art!

josephnicklo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a good run it's been so far. Good to hear that Greg will return. Snyder/Capullo single-handedly got me back into reading and collecting comics after nearly 15 years away.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people hold Scott Snyder up like a god? His Batman run was good but not amazing

lol the simple answer is because some people think his run has just been that amazing. I'm not one of them, but these people do exist.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.