Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Recommendations?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I've been thinking of getting some Batman trades but not sure which to get, I already have Batman: Hush but does anyone have any "must have" Batman arcs that they'd like to suggest/recommend.

I've already thought of getting:

• Batman: Year One
    • Batman: The Long Halloween

But are their any other stories that you guy think would be good to read, I've heard No Man's Land is good as well, but I'm open for suggestions. :)

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Joelislegend

Batman Dark Victory (once you have red Long Halloween)

It's even better than Long Halloween it's the sequel.

Also, Batman: The Black Mirror is amazing, but it's the newer stuff.

And obviously the Grant Morrison run is a MUST.

Are you looking for newer age Batman stuff or more classics Batman and Robin stuff?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

NO MAN'S LAND!!!! They're reprinting the trades. I just bought the first. It's over 500 pages and you can get it for about 20 bucks brand new (list price is 34.95) off of either Barnes and Noble or Amazon. GET THIS BOOK.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By RainEffect

I feel like I do this EVERY time, but The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, is Morrison at his finest. Easily my favourite Batman arc.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Joelislegend

I honestly need to read No Man's Land but the pictures are just so horrible. Every time I start it feels like I'm reading MAD magazine.

Is it really that great?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@The Dark Huntress said:

NO MAN'S LAND!!!! They're reprinting the trades. I just bought the first. It's over 500 pages and you can get it for about 20 bucks brand new (list price is 34.95) off of either Barnes and Noble or Amazon. GET THIS BOOK.

How many books is the story covered in? O_o I just looked here on the site and it's divided into like five volumes...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mercy_

@War Killer said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

How many books is the story covered in? O_o I just looked here on the site and it's divided into like five volumes...

It was an absolutely massive one year arc that ran through every Bat Family book.

@Joelislegend said:

I honestly need to read No Man's Land but the pictures are just so horrible. Every time I start it feels like I'm reading MAD magazine.

Is it really that great?

I HATE old art. Pretty much everything before late nineties/early 2000s, I just can't bare - late 90's is pushing it, even.

But this art is tolerable/good. And it perfectly fits the story - dark, dour, hopeless, stark.

I would recommend it to any fan of Batman. It's a definitive story. Especially for Cassie Cain and Huntress.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

Heard Broken City was good.
    BB

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joelislegend

@The Dark Huntress said:

I HATE old art. Pretty much everything before late nineties/early 2000s, I just can't bare - late 90's is pushing it, even.

But this art is tolerable/good. And it perfectly fits the story - dark, dour, hopeless, stark.

I would recommend it to any fan of Batman. It's a definitive story. Especially for Cassie Cain and Huntress.

Haha same! I had a really hard time doing Knightfall... but when I got to No Man's Land I couldn't stand the way it was drawn.

I will give it a try. Thanks.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

What about The Return or Bruce Wayne and Batman, Incorporated? I like Morrison's Batman but sometimes his writing's over my head.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RainEffect
    @The Dark Huntress said:

@Joelislegend said:

Is it really that great?

Huntress flipping owns No Man's Land. It's her book.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mercy_

@RainEffect said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@Joelislegend said:

Is it really that great?

Tis why I bought it. I'm going through and getting her definitive appearances. I'm only on the first issue but OMFG this book is amazing.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Joelislegend
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@Joelislegend said:

Are you looking for newer age Batman stuff or more classics Batman and Robin stuff?

I'm really looking for those stories that define Bruce as Batman or at least are great and classic Batman stories with Bruce under the cowl. I liked Dick as Batman, but I like Bruce more.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 581

#15  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@The Dark Huntress said:

You shouldn't just read No Man's Land though, Batman had a good 4+ year (1996-2000) stretch then of damn near perfection cause of Contagion, Legacy, Cataclysm, Aftershock and No Man's Land. It was a huge undertaking linking so many bat-family titles together for such a long time and they pulled it off like a champ. Most people's love of Batman was rekindled cause of Dark Knight Returns but for me it was those four years V_V

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joelislegend

@War Killer: read Batman and Son, The Black Casebook and Batman RIP then. Bruce destroys in Morrison Batman.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@RainEffect said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@Joelislegend said:

Is it really that great?

Funny because I was actually just getting into Huntress' character, I'm going to be picking up her newest mini next time I'm at the CBS so if she's in the book I'm more excited to read it.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Superguy0009e

My favorite Batman story by far is Gotham After Midnight.

It has cool art, giant monster/robot fight, detective work, romance..you name it.

Great story and a must have

No Caption Provided
    cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19  Edited By cosmo111687

I think that Bruce Wayne: Murderer is very good. It's interesting seeing Bruce Wayne manage in prison, unable to break-free and be Batman. I also really like Batman: Ego and Other Tales for having an interesting take on the Batman/Bruce Wayne dichotomy, showing that each half balances the other (and it includes a couple other great Darwyn Cooke stories). No Man's Land is great because it shows Batman working without his dependency on high-tech gadgets, learning how to work at street level using nothing but his wits. And it also includes a bunch of the other members of the Bat family and basically the entire rogue's gallery (and vol. 1 is incredibly cheap - at only $20.00 on Amazon). The artwork is hit and miss, but it's altogether well worth-it, in my opinion.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By entropy_aegis

No Mans Land

I would recommend Knightfall BUT the TPB is missing a lot of crucial stuff.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Gambit1024

@entropy_aegis said:

It was? That TPB was huge, too. (The one I read, anyway)

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Gambit1024 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

It was? That TPB was huge, too. (The one I read, anyway)

I think so yes,Vengeance of Bane and Batman #489-491 were quite crucial.Sword of Azrael and Batman#484-488 were fairly important as well.There was another 3 issue arc in Detective.

The Knightquest part is also missing.

I hope they rectify these mistakes when the choose to re-release it.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gambit1024

@entropy_aegis: Hm. I might have to go back and track those down then.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Gambit1024: They released Knightfall as a single volume? I must have missed that, I have the three volume set and each one is fairly big, aegis is right about the missing issues especially Vengeance of Bane and Sword of Azrael

@entropy_aegis: Knightquest is split into two parts Knightquest The Crusade & Knightquest The Search and The Crusade is included in the three volume Knightfall set mentioned above.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gambit1024

@pikahyper: They didn't. I was talking about the 3 Volume set (Volume 1, anyway). I had no idea that much was missing.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Gambit1024: ya it was pretty common for them to not include anything deemed non-integral.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By entropy_aegis

@pikahyper said:

@Gambit1024: They released Knightfall as a single volume? I must have missed that, I have the three volume set and each one is fairly big, aegis is right about the missing issues especially Vengeance of Bane and Sword of Azrael

@entropy_aegis: Knightquest is split into two parts Knightquest The Crusade & Knightquest The Search and The Crusade is included in the three volume Knightfall set mentioned above.

Ah so it's missing "search"?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: yep cause The Search isn't as necessary to the overall story cause it is just Bruce and Alfred traipsing around Europe (it is still good though) and cause Legends of the Dark Knight and Shadow of the Bat were two of DC's experimental comics art and writing wise (so they often get ignored) and cause DC refuses to collect any issues of Justice League Task Force (or Justice League Quarterly which was incredible) which I think is a shame cause it was a fantastic series.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By entropy_aegis

@pikahyper said:

@entropy_aegis: yep cause The Search isn't as necessary to the overall story cause it is just Bruce and Alfred traipsing around Europe (it is still good though) and cause Legends of the Dark Knight and Shadow of the Bat were two of DC's experimental comics art and writing wise (so they often get ignored) and cause DC refuses to collect any issues of Justice League Task Force (or Justice League Quarterly which was incredible) which I think is a shame cause it was a fantastic series.

Yup,JL Taskforce was pretty good from the few issues I read.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Joelislegend

Honestly Knightsquest was kind of boring compared to the rest of the story.

If it can help anyone, I know that all of the issues are available digitally on http://www.comixology.com/. That's how I read comics and it works quite well.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#32  Edited By xerox_kitty

@Joelislegend said:

Is it really that great?

Yes & no...

NML was a year long project that consisted of many 3-4 issue story arcs in many of the Batman titles for 12 months. So some stories were absolute GOLD, while the rest were pretty much 'bumf' ('bum-fodder' which you'd use to clean yourself with when going to the toilet), to spread out the year. But you did get that 'trapped & decaying into chaos' feeling that is prevalent in Arkham City.

As DH, they're reprinting NML in a series of trade paperbacks (search Amazon for No Man's Land New Edition). And as Pikahyper pointed out, there were stories before that (such as Cataclysm) that took place immediately before NML.

Personally, I'd back up your own idea to get Year One and The Long Halloween. Back up TLH with Dark Victory. It's not just a sequel, but has a very big feeling of 'part 2' to complete the whole story :)

Myself, I've just got a hold of Officer Down, am looking for a reasonably priced Bruce Wayne Fugitive Vol 1, and am waiting for War Games volumes 1 & 2 to arrive (then I'll read War Drums, War Games Acts 1, 2 & 3 and War Crimes in one marathon reading).

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By entropy_aegis

@xerox_kitty said:

@Joelislegend said:

Is it really that great?

Yes & no...

NML was a year long project that consisted of many 3-4 issue story arcs in many of the Batman titles for 12 months. So some stories were absolute GOLD, while the rest were pretty much 'bumf' ('bum-fodder' which you'd use to clean yourself with when going to the toilet), to spread out the year. But you did get that 'trapped & decaying into chaos' feeling that is prevalent in Arkham City.

As DH, they're reprinting NML in a series of trade paperbacks (search Amazon for No Man's Land New Edition). And as Pikahyper pointed out, there were stories before that (such as Cataclysm) that took place immediately before NML.

Personally, I'd back up your own idea to get Year One and The Long Halloween. Back up TLH with Dark Victory. It's not just a sequel, but has a very big feeling of 'part 2' to complete the whole story :)

Myself, I've just got a hold of Officer Down, am looking for a reasonably priced Bruce Wayne Fugitive Vol 1, and am waiting for War Games volumes 1 & 2 to arrive (then I'll read War Drums, War Games Acts 1, 2 & 3 and War Crimes in one marathon reading).

NOOOOOOOOOO don't waste your money on the War Games crap.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Joelislegend

@entropy_aegis said:

@xerox_kitty said:

@Joelislegend said:

Is it really that great?

Yes & no...

NOOOOOOOOOO don't waste your money on the War Games crap.

Hahaha I also skipped right over war games. I started to read it and said... wait... do I really care about a gang war??

Especially that it was sandwiched between Under the Red Hood and Morrison... skip skip skip!!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Any recommendations for Cassandra Cain during her run as Batgirl, is her Batgirl series worth reading?

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Joelislegend

It's good. So is the Stephanie Brown run of Batgirl. Seriously I still can't believe shes MIA ever wince the new 52 :(

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By entropy_aegis

@War Killer said:

Any recommendations for Cassandra Cain during her run as Batgirl, is her Batgirl series worth reading?

Yes.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@xerox_kitty said:

@Joelislegend said:

Is it really that great?

Yes & no...

DON'T READ OFFICER DOWN. CANCEL THAT ORDER. CANCEL IT!

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Joelislegend

Ooo yeah Officer Down really was awful. Go for Fugitive instead.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@xerox_kitty said:

I like these picks :D

NEEK_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NEEK_03

I’ve always liked batman, but up until recently I never really read any of his comics. Though I now have a pretty decent amount on knowledge on him its all been gathered from primarily wiki. And also batman the animated series and batman beyond/justice league animated series/animated movies like public enemies, crisis on two worlds, batman superman apakolips, and batman under the red hood. About a year ago I really started getting into him after reading Hush, I then followed hush with the killing joke and batman year one. ALL 3 good stories however I enjoyed the artwork in Hush>killing joke>batman year one, I also enjoyed the fact it had a lot of bruce’s rouges and the bat family in it. The fact that it had a mystery villain and detective work, mixed with an appearance from superman just made it one of my fav comics ever. Im looking for additional batman arc’s to read that have a similar feel. Good art work, good story, detective work and lots of the bat family or other hero appearances. Im going to pick up all the issues of batman comics now that they have a decent amount of issues after the reboot, so no need to suggest those. Does anyone have any suggestions for me based off what I stated? Im sick of reading snippets of the arcs in Wikipedia hahah. Save me!

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Joelislegend

@NEEK_03: Batman and Robin post reboot!!!!

and Batman post reboot.

Great jumping on points.

NEEK_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NEEK_03

any that have been made into graphic novels?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By Strider1992

I've never read a Batman comic before (I've read other DC ones but would you believe it never a Batman) and i'm looking for a new comic to read and I thought i'd try out Batman. Can anyone suggest an Arc that would be good for someone who is new to the character?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By Daveyo520

Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Hush and The Black Mirror. That should be good enough to start.

@Strider92: Try Year One. It is the start of his career.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.