Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23647 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Rate Snyder's New 52 Batman Run

• 84 results
    RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By RustyRoy

And how is 7.5 is a bad rating?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@rustyroy:

Having different opinions is fine, but sometimes I think people on CV like to be overly harsh on popular stories/writers for effect.....

Yeah that's true but I don't think its true in this case, only @muyjingo rated CoO below average(and it's his opinion so there's nothing wrong with it) and if you don't count that one then the average will be 8-9 I think. Most people here love CoO, I don't think its that great, Snyder's recent issues are better IMO which I don't think many fans agree with.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By Bezza

@rustyroy:

Dude I think I need to check out the recent issues of Zero Year. I know the IGN reviews have been off the scale, but then they do love Snyder's Batman. I am a UK Batman reader and tend to buy the UK book we get which is about 4 or 5 issues behind, simply because it gives me 4 Batman stories a month for £3.99 (about 5 dollars 50). its cheaper than trying to buy all the Batman titles each month!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@rustyroy:

Dude I think I need to check out the recent issues of Zero Year. I know the IGN reviews have been off the scale, but then they do love Snyder's Batman. I am a UK Batman reader and tend to buy the UK book we get which is about 4 or 5 issues behind, simply because it gives me 4 Batman stories a month for £3.99 (about 5 dollars 50). its cheaper than trying to buy all the Batman titles each month!

It's worth the wait I guess. I didn't really like Secret City(6.5) and Dark City(6) that much but I'd give Savage City 8.5-9, Riddler is awesome in this part and you get an awesome team up between Bruce, Gordon and Fox, only wish Dent was also there. And this month and the last month's issues were great, specially #34 was great, best issue from Snyder's run.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@rustyroy: Come on dude,it's far from ended....

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Black_Arrow

@rustyroy said:

@bezza said:

@rustyroy:

It's worth the wait I guess. I didn't really like Secret City(6.5) and Dark City(6) that much but I'd give Savage City 8.5-9, Riddler is awesome in this part and you get an awesome team up between Bruce, Gordon and Fox, only wish Dent was also there. And this month and the last month's issues were great, specially #34 was great, best issue from Snyder's run.

Emm, issue 34 wasn´t written by Snyder. It was by Gerry Dugan. (Snyder helped with the plot). Issue 35 wasn´t written by Snyder either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By RustyRoy

@rustyroy said:

@bezza said:

@rustyroy:

Emm, issue 34 wasn´t written by Snyder. It was by Gerry Dugan. (Snyder helped with the plot). Issue 35 wasn´t written by Snyder either.

I thought both co-wrote issue 34, and just noticed #35 was written by Fawkes and Snyder.

@rustyroy: Come on dude,it's far from ended....

I know.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@black_arrow said:

@rustyroy said:

@bezza said:

@rustyroy:

I thought both co-wrote issue 34, and just noticed #35 was written by Fawkes and Snyder.

In both of them Snyder helped with the story but Gerry Dugan and Fawkes wrote their respective issues alone.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Night of Owls 8/10

Court of Owls 6/10

Death of the Family 7/10

Zero Year: 8.5/10

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Court of owls = 8/10

Death of the family = 9/10

Zero year = 8/10

Snyder has made so great batman stories, but he has made the character batman a little worse than how he actually is.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed the people who hate Scott Synder's run tend to be Grant Morrison fans for some reason.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By batcat91

@jasoninthewoods: I'm a huge fan of Grant Morrison's Batman but I think Snyder's stuff is great as well. You make a valid observation though that there are a lot of Morrison fans that dislike Snyder's work. I believe that some people that aren't fans of Snyder have valid reasons for not enjoying it, but there are also a lot of people that jump on the bandwagon of hating what has been generally well received because you know... it's cool I guess lol.

How would you rate Snyder's Batman stories?

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jasoninthewoods

@batcat91:

Oh yeah lol

Court of owls = 9/10

Death of the family = 9/10

Zero year = 9/10

Snyder's really knocking it out of the park in my opinion.

I have never not been excited to see what he comes up with next.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By RustyRoy

@jasoninthewoods said:

I noticed the people who hate Scott Synder's run tend to be Grant Morrison fans for some reason.

Yeah it can seem like that but I don't think its completely true, I can give a lot of reasons why I thought CoO was good but not great and why I disliked DotF. Also Snyder's Batman is one of the most f#*ked up version of Batman, 100x more than Batman Beyond and Miller's TDKR Bruce, I like it but I prefer the Morrison/Loeb/Barr/Dixon and most other writers' version of Batman.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@jasoninthewoods said:

Yeah it can seem like that but I don't think its completely true, I can give a lot of reasons why I thought CoO was good but not great and why I disliked DotF. Also Snyder's Batman is one of the most f#*ked up version of Batman, 100x more than Batman Beyond and Miller's TDKR Bruce, I like it but I prefer the Morrison/Loeb/Barr/Dixon and most other writers' version of Batman.

How so?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This site is so negative...

Court of Owls - 9/10

Death of the Family - 6/10

Zero Year - 8/10

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bezza said:

@rustyroy:

Having different opinions is fine, but sometimes I think people on CV like to be overly harsh on popular stories/writers for effect.....

You got dat right.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

@rustyroy said:

@jasoninthewoods said:

How so?

This guy wants to be his own legacy instead of passing down the mantle, he's more obsessive, arrogant and doesn't listen to anyone else's opinions. At least Beyond and TDKR Batman wasn't reckless and thought of every situation before acting, Snyder's Batman doesn't show those qualities.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@muyjingo said:

@rustyroy said:

@jasoninthewoods said:

How so?

This guy wants to be his own legacy instead of passing down the mantle, he's more obsessive, arrogant and doesn't listen to anyone else's opinions. At least Beyond and TDKR Batman wasn't reckless and thought of every situation before acting, Snyder's Batman doesn't show those qualities.

I agree, but that doesn't make him "100x more f*&^ed up".

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder has a problem with endings. He's not very good at them. Everything else he does fairly well. Examples? The Court of Owls ends with "the Court's still out there, we have to track them down!" followed by it never being referenced again. Death of the Family had great build-up and made the Joker a frightening threat... until the end, wherein we get a non-ending in which nothing is resolved (and remains unresolved, for the most part). I haven't read Zero Year so I can't talk too much about it, but from what I've been seeing around this series of tubes, it suffers the same problem. Great run, bookended by a bad, bad ending.

Anyway, the Court arc is the best that Snyder has done in his New 52 work (again, I say this without having read Zero Year).

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@muyjingo said:

@rustyroy said:

@jasoninthewoods said:

How so?

Never thought about it like that. This Batman truly deserves to be called batsh*t crazy.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

@rustyroy said:

@muyjingo said:

@rustyroy said:

@jasoninthewoods said:

How so?

How so? Also forgot to mention in the other post, those were older versions of Batman who were living alone, this Batman is younger and has a big family, another funny think he pushed away everyone before he even hit 35.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MuyJingo

@rustyroy said:

@muyjingo said:

@rustyroy said:

@muyjingo said:

@rustyroy said:

@jasoninthewoods said:

How so?

How so? Also forgot to mention in the other post, those were older versions of Batman who were living alone, this Batman is younger and has a big family, another funny think he pushed away everyone before he even hit 35.

You're the one making the claim, you should be able to support it.

Yes, he is maybe more arrogant than past incarnations, I don't seem him as being more obsessive.

Being more arrogant doesn't equate to being more crazy.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

Yes, he is maybe more arrogant than past incarnations, I don't seem him as being more obsessive.

I thought I was. And he's more obsessive, creating you're clones to replace you instead of trusting you're allies specially Dick who have proved to be a good replacement is obsessive, in the Detective Comics 27 short I thought he made those clones because he was very old and probably was very hurt mentally and physically, and maybe all is allies died (sice the Batcave was empty) so that a little bit less crazier but from Batman 35 we can see that it's not the case. Don't get me wrong, I also like this version but he is one of the most obsessive version of Batman I've read.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@end_boss said:

Snyder has a problem with endings. He's not very good at them. Everything else he does fairly well. Examples? The Court of Owls ends with "the Court's still out there, we have to track them down!" followed by it never being referenced again. Death of the Family had great build-up and made the Joker a frightening threat... until the end, wherein we get a non-ending in which nothing is resolved (and remains unresolved, for the most part). I haven't read Zero Year so I can't talk too much about it, but from what I've been seeing around this series of tubes, it suffers the same problem. Great run, bookended by a bad, bad ending.

Anyway, the Court arc is the best that Snyder has done in his New 52 work (again, I say this without having read Zero Year).

Yeah he didn't even look for March again IIRC.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@muyjingo said:

I thought I was. And he's more obsessive, creating you're clones to replace you instead of trusting you're allies specially Dick who have proved to be a good replacement is obsessive, in the Detective Comics 27 short I thought he made those clones because he was very old and probably was very hurt mentally and physically, and maybe all is allies died (sice the Batcave was empty) so that a little bit less crazier but from Batman 35 we can see that it's not the case. Don't get me wrong, I also like this version but he is one of the most obsessive version of Batman I've read.

I disagree.

Batman is creating clones only in the futures end timeline, right? I believe, while we don't get to see all the reasons, there are indeed reasons as to why he prefers clones to passing the mantle. I haven't read all the futures end tie ins yet, but it seems the people he would pass the mantle to have their own stories. I haven't read the futures end issue of grayson, but isn't he wrapped up in his own story? If he knows Batman is in the position he is in in the batman futures end issue and hasn't stepped up, then there is probably a reason.

That timeline is likely going to be erased anyway.

As for more obsessive...I think he is less obsessive. If he was more obsessive, he would be more careful, have more plans and prep. As it is, he is arrogant and tends to rush in more often than not. Less obsessive.

I don't find Smnyder Batman remarkable in any way. He isn't crazier or more obsessive...the only real difference is he is more arrogant, does foolish things constantly and until Azzarello took over DC, wasn't much of a detective.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By RustyRoy

@muyjingo said:

I disagree.

Batman is creating clones only in the futures end timeline, right? I believe, while we don't get to see all the reasons, there are indeed reasons as to why he prefers clones to passing the mantle. I haven't read all the futures end tie ins yet, but it seems the people he would pass the mantle to have their own stories. I haven't read the futures end issue of grayson, but isn't he wrapped up in his own story? If he knows Batman is in the position he is in in the batman futures end issue and hasn't stepped up, then there is probably a reason.

That timeline is likely going to be erased anyway.

As for more obsessive...I think he is less obsessive. If he was more obsessive, he would be more careful, have more plans and prep. As it is, he is arrogant and tends to rush in more often than not. Less obsessive.

I don't find Smnyder Batman remarkable in any way. He isn't crazier or more obsessive...the only real difference is he is more arrogant, does foolish things constantly and until Azzarello took over DC, wasn't much of a detective.

I haven't read any other Batfamily FE titles beside Batman and 'tec although Alfred does mention that he has a lot of people he can pass down the mantle too and we see a screen full of allies. You could be right but I'm not sure. Also why not just carry on until you die or find some other person that you can teach, there's a Robin in Batman and Robin FE why not pass it to him.

If he was more obsessive, he would be more careful, have more plans and prep

That makes sense but he does show a strong amount of obsession.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

CoO

DotF

ZY

All 8-8.9/10

nobodyisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Court of Owls: A

COO was one of my favorite Batman stories I've ever read, it was incredible. I loved the Capullo art and the deconstruction of Batman's city and mind.

Death of the Family: B-

DoTF was very underwhelming, I feel like it was a bit of a mash of ideas that didn't pan out. I loved the art and the beginning of the story was superb and the dialogue was well done, but it felt like there wasn't much of a coherent plot. I also hate the Joker cutting his face off thing, I know Snyder had no control over that, but I thought it was stupid.

I have not read Zero Year yet, 'pologies.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Court of Owls - 8.5/10 -

Death of the Family - 8/10

Zero Year - 7/10

I would love to go more in depth than just show a simple and meaningless rating, but I don't have the thought process for it atm.

Avatar image for hauntedgraveyard
    HauntedGraveyard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Court of Owls amazed me, I thought it was a nice new take. It had a good idea behind it. I'll easily give it a 8/10. But then I read Death of the family and my opinion of Scott Snyder dropped very low. To me it's the worst Joker, and Joker story i've read. 4/10 is generous. It's like some movies, some get popular you don't know why !

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By galeme

The Court of Owls & The City of Owls 8.5/10

Death of the Family 8/10

Zero Year 9/10

Endgame 10/10

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

10/10 would ba-.. read again!... Snyder is love. Snyder is life. Also I'm going to miss Capullo once he's gone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.