Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23637 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Question on Batman and Martial Arts

Avatar image for jacksplendorman
    JackSplendorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm positive at least one person can help with this. I've started to notice something. Batman has incredible skills against mooks.

Whenever he does something really cool, like take someone down with nerve strikes, they always seem to be mooks. Or it's set in a different universe.

The best example due to being able to compare I can give is the Mutant Leader and Bane. Both of them defeated Batman the first time. However when Batman fought the Mutant Leader on the second time, he paralyzed his arm, and partially blinded him with his own blood, and gave him some broken bones.

Why doesn't he do that to Bane? Or any of his main rouges? Why does he just slug it out with them, and not use his fancy skills of nerve strikes and what not?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Bane's a trained fighter. He's lived since he was born in a hellhole of a prison. He knows how to fight, and he knows how to strategist. This usually carries over to most of his bad guys: They usually have a gimmick that prevents trying to be delicate with them (pressure points, etc). The Mutant Leader was a thug. A strong, vicious, thug. But a thug, and Batman was old.

Batman needs to use his skill because these enemies are stronger or faster than him. He can't beat them with brute force, so he has to use his keen tactical mind and advanced training. Against any enemies weaker than him, a nerve strike is unnecessarily complicated when a punch to the face will work just as well.

As for why he doesn't use them against his main rogues? Most of them aren't trained fighters, or stronger than him. The only exceptions I can think of are Bane and Killer Croc. So he just treats them like a mook: Take their weapons, punch to the face. Quick, efficient, effective, move on. It's rarely a case against Batman's foes of physically beating them, the trick is getting through their plan and catching them.

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because if he just kept one shotting bane or any other rouge everytime they fought it would be incredibly boring.

Batman doesnt do it because his writers dont allow him too. Plus on people like Killer Croc i doubt he could hit hard enough to even damage him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.