Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23619 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Psychology of the Riddler

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The Riddler is one of the most iconic villains Batman has ever faced. He sets himself apart from the other rogues by purposely handicapping himself. After Edward commits a crime, he leaves a riddle that is designed to help Batman and Gotham P.D. bring him to justice. But there seems to be two different psychological explanations for why he does this.

1.Narcissism- The Riddler has an irresistible urge to prove his mental superiority over everybody else. This is why he chose Batman (the world's greatest detective) as his foe. If he can craft riddles that even Batman can't solve, in his eyes, he is the mental superior.

2.Obsessive Compulsive- The Riddler's father would beat young Edward for "lying". This instilled a compulsive need to always tell the truth. Since he chose the life of a criminal, he tells the truth in the form of riddles that are hard to solve.

Which one do you think best fits the character? Narcissism, Obsessive Compulsive, Both, Nether, tell me what you think.

If this is well received I will do psychology of other Batman villains.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By _Gaff_

Ya, Edward definitely shows signs of Narcissism, But I myself like the concept of him being Obsessive Compulsive. Here is a quote that pretty much sums it up.

"You don't understand... I really didn't want to leave you any clues. I really planned never to go back to Arkham Asylum. But I left you a clue anyway. So I... I have to go back there. Because I might need help. I... I might actually be crazy." - Batman: Gotham Adventures

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If he didn't focus on riddles he'd never be caught

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Both

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.