Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Pronunciation "Ra's al-Ghul"

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So eversince Batman Begins a certain pronunciation of "Ra's al-Ghul" has pretty much cemented itself ("Reysh al-Gool") but this is in fact far from how the actual sentence "Head of the demon/ghoul" is pronounced in Arabic; "Rah'iss al-Hrul"(Hr= like how you say J as in José or Juan in Spanish). Now naturally Arabs/other Semitic-speaking people who read Batman will probably know how to pronounce it but how do you guys say it personally?

Kinda unnecessary question... but Ra's is an Arab after all & given his significance maybe some "justice" is in place lol. No, I am not Arabic myself if anyone wonders.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, it's "ray-shh" according to TAS so it's "ray-shh" to me.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By Joygirl

I always just called him "Rozz."

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when I was younger I pronounced it Roz al gool, I admit after Batman Begins I started saying Raysh al gool

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wolverine008

Raish.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

It's "ray-shh" from what I have know about the man.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

when I was younger I pronounced it Roz al gool, I admit after Batman Begins I started saying Raysh al gool

"Roz" was how it was pronounced in Batman Begins. Did Begins turn you off from saying it that way?

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DwightSpitz

I don't know about letting an American TV-show dictate how a name in a completely foreign language sounds. Ra's is Arab & so is his name so there's really no legit reason to say anything other than "Rah'iss al-Hroul". Admittedly I do say "Reysh" a lot because yeah, otherwise no one knows how you're talking about lol.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Ra's al-Ghul is the comic version of "tomayto-tomahto"

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ra's al-Ghul is the comic version of "tomayto-tomahto"

lol yeah thats true

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman said:

"Roz" was how it was pronounced in Batman Begins. Did Begins turn you off from saying it that way?

sorry you are correct, I meant after the Arkham video games lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only place I heard it said Roz was in Batman Begins. A batman beyond episode cleared it up to be Raysh not Roz, and that came out before Begins so I guess Nolan wanted his own spin on it. I usually say Raysh because I'm pretty sure that's correct, but I like Roz too

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

The only place I heard it said Roz was in Batman Begins. A batman beyond episode cleared it up to be Raysh not Roz, and that came out before Begins so I guess Nolan wanted his own spin on it. I usually say Raysh because I'm pretty sure that's correct, but I like Roz too

I think they called him Raz in BB.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@jayc1324 said:

TAS got it wrong,Nolan did it right.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

It's pronounced "Raz" in comics?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: well you can't hear them talk in comics lol. @entropy_aegis: How can you tell? Batman Beyond said it was Raysh not Roz or Raz.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Okay time to finally clear this up. I speak Arabic and I tell you "Raysh" is a wrong pronunciation, at least in conventional Arabic. "Raz" from Batman Begins is the closest to the correct pronunciation but even that isn't 100% correct. It's actually "Ra ass" Al Ghul. To make it simpler, the "a's" part of "Ra's", is pronounced the same way "S" is pronounced in English. So it's acutally "Ra "S"". As for "Al Ghul, it can be pronounced in several ways. First of all, "Al" can be "El", it depends on the accent but works both ways. Ghul is not "Gul", you don't pronounce the "G". The "Gh" pronounced the same way it is pronounced in french,or let's say the "classy" way you pronounce "r" in french. It's pronounced as "Ghoul", the same way it is pronounced in Batman Begins by Batman and Ra's himself. However, when Scarecrow says the name he pronounces it wrong as "Gul". In Lebanese accent, "Ra's" is pronounced as "Rass", so it's "Rass El Ghoul'.

So the correct pronunciation is either "Rass Al/El Ghoul" or "Ra"S"Al Ghoul".

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: Cool. Btw you said the G is silent so its pronounced either ul or oul?

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy yeah kinda, I mean you don't pronounce it, but when combined with the "H" you get a whole new pronunciation..it's like..gaahh it's so hard to explain this stuff like this. The thing is the "gh" pronunciation doesn't exist in the English language, so it's pronounced as G. In French, "gh" gives you a new pronunciation where you don't pronounce neither letters, and instead you get a new one. French speakers will know what I'm talking about. In the Arabic language, "gh" is its own letter it's called "ghayne" or "غ". I guess "Goul" is the closest thing English speakers can get to the actual pronunciation. To answer your question, it's pronounced "Goul" not "Gul". In the Nolan trilogy they got that part right (except when Crane says :P)

Easternwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Easternwind

I have heard

RAYS AL GHOUL

RAHZ Al Ghoul ( like terry )

RACE Al Ghoul

RACHE AL Ghoul ( Like batman beyond )

Easternwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raysh. According to TAS and Arkham Games which are my quintessential Batmans so that's how I say it and that's the only correct way :P

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm still going to end up saying Raz like in the Nolan films lol

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: yea but the creators say reysh or raysh so that is technically correct plus since he took that name centuries ago and it's a fictional universe we can say that in the dcu it was originally raysh centuries ago but as time went own it changed in Arabic. Languages change the way they pronounce words all the time.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@wolverine08: well you can't hear them talk in comics lol. @entropy_aegis: How can you tell? Batman Beyond said it was Raysh not Roz or Raz.

@entropy_aegis said:

@jayc1324 said:

It's pronounced "Raz" in comics?

It translates to Head of the Demon,the other one is feather of the demon...you choose.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MuyJingo

In Arabic, it would be pronounced the way it was heard on Arrow and in the Batman movies.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At a Neal Adams signing, he said it's pronounced "Rahz, not Raysh". He did create the character, so he's probably the best source.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Raish but I say Rahz when talking about comics to my ignorant (when it comes to comics) friends.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redleader1 Two things. First of all, the writers of the animated series are Not the creators. It is TAS that popularized the pronunciation "Raysh". Like I said in my earlier comment, because of the inability of english speakers to do the correct pronunciation, TAS people just gave the name their own Spin on it. Secondly the guy who made the character, Neil Adams, said that the correct pronunciation is Raz not Raysh, and like I said in the previous comment, Raz is the closest to the correct pronunciation. However, the point of this thread was to ask what is the true correct pronunciation, and I answered it, but at the end of the day, you're the one reading the comics, and you can pronounce whoever you like, but this is language, even in a fictional story, there are correct and wrong ways to say words.

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
    i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

raz al gool. reysh is stupid and smuggy.

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
    NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34  Edited By NinjaWarrior268

I prefer Raz as well. People can pronounce it in 2 ways just like they can with the word tomato. Comics don't convey sound so you can't say it has to be pronounced one way or the other because of the comics.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By redleader1

@anjales: actually I thought Denny o'neil created ras and I've always heard that he says ras. Belive me I know the TAS writers did not make ras but tones of people say ras and like you said its however you specifically read it. Hence my point if it can be anything at all but you the reader are the one well reading so its up to you and in universe there is not technically a politically correct way to say it. Yet outside of comics I guess we should find a perfect way to say things.

This is kinda like how some books are in the universe kinda changed to the readers language from say republic basic (star wars) or the hobbit language (Tolkiens works).

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dud317: well Neal is the artist so Denny would be the best person to ask seeing as he actually wrote up the character primarily.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pronunciation from the comics and DCAU cartoons is mostly nonsense. The name as read would be pronounced as it is in the Nolan films, and as it would be in our world.

The reason for the alternate pronunciation is apparently the tribe Ra's was part of pronounced his name slightly differently, and they are no longer around. Whatever.

To me, both are correct. In the comics and cartoons, the "raysh" pronunciation should be used. In the more grounded adaptations, the Nolan pronunciation should be used. At least, that makes sense to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Julius Schwartz came up with the name for Ra's al Ghul, not Neal Adams. I'd bet that one knew how to properly pronounce the name.

It's Raysh though.

toplel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By toplel

Racer cool.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have got into the habit of saying Raysh, might have to change that though....

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the actual creators of the name and character intended it to be pronounced as Raysh, then it should be pronounced as Raysh.

Problem is, I've seen nothing as of yet indicating that this is how the creators intended it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dud317 said:

At a Neal Adams signing, he said it's pronounced "Rahz, not Raysh". He did create the character, so he's probably the best source.

Agreed.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redleader1: I do stand corrected as they were co-creators. However, I don't really have Denny on speed dial, so I went with the next best source.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dud317: how awesome would it be to have Denny o'neil on speed dial.

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raysh for me.... I can't bear it when people say raz

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.