Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Predictions for Snyder's Joker Arc

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gotwillpower

What do you guys think Snyder will do with Joker and the Bat family? Will he kill someone? Do you think it'll be the best New 52 arc or the worst?

I'm sure he'll do something really unique, like, say, have Batman come close to killing Joker but then force himself to stop (sarcasm).

I hope it'll be good. I liked the Court of Owls, and I especially liked the Black Mirror, so I doubt that it'll be subpar.

What do you guys think?

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By InfamousFish

Idk, Court of the Owls was amazing! I hope that this is 10 times better.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By G_Money_Christmas

Awesome, just awesome

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By JamesKM716

I think he'll killsomeone, but i'm not sure who. Personally, i'm gonna lean towards Alfred. And maybe perhaps Jim Gordon, but i kinda doubt that one.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By r3d_rob1n

I don't think anyone major will die. It's too soon into the New 52. The only possible death I can see is Harper

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gotwillpower

@JamesKM716 said:

Personally, i'm gonna lean towards Alfred.

Not Alfred! I'd kill any other Bat character, just not Alfred!

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JamesKM716

@r3d_rob1n: and @gotwillpower: I thought about them all. And yes i can easily see Harper Row dying. (I kinda hope she does) but Snyder seems to like her too much. I'm leaning towards Alfred because well, he's unecesarry to sell comics. Dick can't die. (Nightwing would plummet) Damian can't die, its too soon for a new Robin. Red Hood can't die because of The Outlaws. and REd robin can't die because Teen titans would plummet. Babs won't die because DC would take a huge hit. It is possible that Cassandra Cain or Stephanie Brown could die but i don't see that since they haven't even been introdcued yet. But Alfred is the only major batman member that could die and sales wouldn't plummet afterwards

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@JamesKM716: Now that I think of it, it might be that nobody dies. "Death of the Family" can imply that everyone turns against each other. Perhaps some of the team takes actions against the Joker that Bruce finds unacceptable, so he cuts them out of his life? I would prefer that to the death of Alfred. I love that old guy

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JamesKM716

@r3d_rob1n: That's a nifty idea! I actually like the sound of that. Could lead to some interesting stories. But i think i'd prefer Alfred to die. It could be that he is the heart and soul of the Batman family. With him dead, no one intervenes with Bruce and Damians fights. Or Bruce and Jasons. Or Bruce and _____ fill in the blank. Plus, i'd love to see the impact that Alfred's death has on Bruce. Practically his father

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Superbat420

Damien's dog

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By reignmaker

@r3d_rob1n: I'm thinking something along the lines of what you said.

Killing off Alfred is too easy in my opinion, maybe even a little cheap. Though readers love him, most everyone agrees that he's expendable. I don't know if it would accomplish much. There wouldn't be the same shock value as if a Robin died.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By reignmaker

If someone does die, the best hint will be the beginning portion of the story arc. If Bruce recounts some sappy story about how Alfred was always there for him, you can bet all your money that the old butler is going to die.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gotwillpower

@r3d_rob1n: Totally true, when I first heard about the title of the arc I didn't think anyone would literally die. Maybe it has to do with Bruce's secret identity? Joker has always claimed it's more fun when he doesn't know who Batman is, but maybe that's going to change. After all, Joker took off his face: doesn't that hint at a theme of identity?

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By britsera

@r3d_rob1n said:

@JamesKM716: Now that I think of it, it might be that nobody dies. "Death of the Family" can imply that everyone turns against each other. Perhaps some of the team takes actions against the Joker that Bruce finds unacceptable, so he cuts them out of his life? I would prefer that to the death of Alfred. I love that old guy

That's what I was thinking - infighting in the Family. I'm leaning towards the two hotheads killing/attempting to kill somebody in retaliation (though that's basic and been done). Or maybe its Bats who goes a little crazy, and the Family betrays him somehow (maybe to Gordon?) We saw the pregnant Mrs.Todd, perhaps that connects?

If Alfred dies I might cry... who doesn't love Alfred?

Hmmm... other than Alfred, what are integral parts of the Family? What defines it? Gotham? Tragedy? Humanity (no superpowers here)?

GothamDet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GothamDet

@r3d_rob1n said:

I don't think anyone major will die. It's too soon into the New 52. The only possible death I can see is Harper

I don't see it being Harper. I honestly think she is the Oracle replacement since Babs is Batgirl again. I could easily be wrong but...meh.

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By InfamousFish

@gotwillpower said:

@r3d_rob1n: After all, Joker took off his face: doesn't that hint at a theme of identity?

I guess that would make sense. Thanks for pointing out something that I missed.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By TDK_1997

It would be unpredictable I think.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Yea kill Harper, god forbid a new character gets some actual developmental......

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By batshrine

Harper won't die because she is too new and there is no affect.

Alfred can't die because well he is Batman's conscience, he is the most important character to Batman. Most of the best Batman development comes from his conversations with Alfred. I think he is more important than ANY of the Robins.

But you have a point in the fact that RED HOOD and the outlaws, NIGHTWING, and Teen Titans would lose their core character, so there is no point in killing them either.

However what you can get like someone mentioned before is a schism, could be all against Batman for keeping secrets from them about their lives, and Joker unveils them. Could be a split some people on one side, others on the other. Could be a Bat Family break up where they all go their separate ways, divide and conquer style. What ever it is Joker will shake the core of the group, how is a whole different question.

Maybe he kidnaps a character? Kills close people to all of them but not the characters themselves or maybe he helps out some characters, while hinders others?

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By YMCMB

I feel Alfred is gonna get hurt pretty bad towards the beginning of the run, but I'd be really surprised if he died. I just don't think DC would allow Snyder to do that. I think Joker is gonna get in Bruce's head more than ever before, driving him over-the-edge and causing most of the Bat family to distance themselves from him in the aftermath of the arc. The rest of Snyder's run will be Bruce trying to reconcile his reputation with the family. Maybe I'm totally wrong but that's the feeling I'm getting right now. Oh ya, and I'm kinda hoping he kills off Harper.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gotwillpower

@batshrine: A schism would be really cool. I thought the Robin war that Damian had was good, but a little bit undeveloped.

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By britsera

Hmmm.... Joker removed his face. Is Bruce going to remove his mask and go Bat 24/7? Be fun to set up some sort of mirror situation, and we'd see a ton of family arguments over that...

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#23  Edited By BatWatch

My prediction is that nobody important will actually die because they are All starring I their own successful series. If anyone important dies, it will be alfred.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_
    bat-cow dies.
    bat-cow dies.
    Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Eternal19

I just hope he doesnt kill of Damian

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• The Joker returns in “DEATH OF THE FAMILY”!

• He crippled Batgirl. He killed Robin. What will The Joker do now that he’s returned to Gotham City?

• What must Batman do to protect his secret identity and that of those who fight alongside him?

• “DEATH OF THE FAMILY” continues!

• The Joker is back and somehow more sinister than ever! What caused this change? And can even Batman stop a Joker so driven and dangerous?

• And where is Alfred?

• Plus: In the backup feature, The Penguin is running out of options as he’s confronted by The Joker!

• “DEATH OF THE FAMILY” continues here!

• The Joker’s attacks have taken their toll on Batman and his allies, and now they have to face the impossible.

• The final madness of The Joker’s plan revealed here! Why is he more dangerous now than ever before?

• Plus: In the backup feature, witness The Joker’s confrontation with the Riddler as the horror of The Joker’s plan is revealed.

I don't know if anyone referenced this or anything but this is from DC's website... Issue 14 asks "Where is Alfred?" Sounding like Alfred dying is a big possibility.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gotwillpower

@G_Money_Christmas: I didn't see that, thanks for the heads-up!

The question is, if Alfred is kidnapped, did Joker think he was kidnapping Bruce Wayne's butler, or Batman's friend? Because, if it is the latter, then Joker probably finds out Batman's secret identity in this arc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.