Penguin Rises

#1 Posted by TheePenguin (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I am very curious what people think of the Penguin? As a comic character is he losing his importance?

#2 Posted by mavfan626 (4117 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no idea what the Penguin does

#3 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan. I think batman has much better villains.

#4 Posted by RoboShark (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

What importance? The character just isn't for me.

#5 Posted by mavfan626 (4117 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him in the Batman game

#6 Edited by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

Put it this way:

There are great Batman villains: Joker, Two-Face, Ra's Al Ghul, etc.

There are middling Batman villains: Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, etc.

And then there are just plain sad Batman villains: Calender Man, for example.

Now, here's the thing: the Penguin definitely falls into the just plain sad category. BUT, he also works in Gotham. That automatically places him a cut above villains of the same level in other cities as far as being lethal goes. Gotham is such a crime infested despot that ANY criminal who can survive there AND work as a crime boss there has more.. eh... huevo's... than any criminal on the same scale from another city is outmatched. Hell, three or four low level criminals tried to come in and strike a deal with Penguin. Penguin nearly trapped them to death, stole their cash. Only reason they survived was because Batman showed up and pretty much said, "You're in Gotham. You're out of your league."

#7 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

Put it this way:

There are great Batman villains: Joker, Two-Face, Ra's Al Ghul, etc.

There are middling Batman villains: Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, etc.

And then there are just plain sad Batman villains: Calender Man, for example.

Now, here's the thing: the Penguin definitely falls into the just plain sad category. BUT, he also works in Gotham. That automatically places him a cut above villains of the same level in other cities as far as being lethal goes. Gotham is such a crime infested despot that ANY criminal who can survive there AND work as a crime boss there has more.. eh... huevo's... than any criminal on the same scale from another city is outmatched. Hell, three or four low level criminals tried to come in and strike a deal with Penguin. Penguin nearly trapped them to death, stole their cash. Only reason they survived was because Batman showed up and pretty much said, "You're in Gotham. You're out of your league."

It's just gonna bug the hell out of me if I don't ask. Are you referring to the early arc in Batman Detective Comics?

#8 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn: Don't really remember. Know I read it within the past year. So... Probably?

#9 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith:Yeah most likely. Those issues came out last fall I believe.

#10 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn: Yeah, that sounds about right. Yes, I am indeed referring to the early arc in Batman Detective Comics.

#11 Posted by TheePenguin (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Id have to agree somewhat with JonSmith.

How about with the new take on Penguin, from the Arkham city and those newer comics? Does it still leave him in the sad villain?

Id think he is at least be a middling villain.

#12 Posted by Saucedo17 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

I want more penguins, cut, cuddly, flightless, adorable penguins

#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

If he was used in the comics in the same way he was used in Arkham City, I'd totally dig the character. Otherwise, he's just sort of lame....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.