Paul Dini not returning to pen the next Arkham game in the series

• 52 results
#1 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

Paul Dini, who has written both Arkham Asylum and City as well as the critically acclaimed Batman: The Animated Series has confirmed on his Twitter that he won't be returning to write the next Arkham game in the series.

Paul_Dini@Paul_Dini

Kinda hoped I'd be doing another Arkham game in London during the Olympics. Esp, as I had a good source for tx. Ah, well.

Apparently, he didn't leave on his own accord.

Dini seems a bit broken up over it as well, saying, "I wish I could, but it's not my call."

Considering the story was one of, if not the best parts of the Arkham games so far, this doesn't bode well for the series.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by Lvenger (20677 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't think you'll like hearing this.

@Lvenger: My thoughts exactly... :(

#4 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

Was this Rocksteady's call?

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: It's a real shame that he's leaving, since obviously the stories were awesome.  

That said, I don't think it'll necessarily be a huge negative for the series, as not to insult Dini or his talent, there are other writers just as good. I do feel bad for him though, since he was basically kicked off the project, which is a bit of a mongrel act.
#6 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake: Yes it was, they confirmed it on their website. Read the article for more info.

@FadeToBlackBolt: While it's entirely negative, I found it worked superbly simply due to Dini's extensive relationship with Batman over the years and especially with the voice actors. It just looks like a massive mistake on Rocksteady's hand to rid him from the project.

Also, they keep bringing up the "Silver Age Prequel" frequently. Doesn't look like it's much of a rumour anymore.

#7 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: Well if they did get rid of him in order to do a SIlver Age reboot, then they're f*cking imbeciles. 
#8 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: Just like I mentioned before, the Silver Age reboot would be a moronic choice and would prove fruitless. I wouldn't even begin to imagine the confusion it would cause.

#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#10 Posted by daredevil21134 (12092 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw Great, now I might not see Azrael again.Damn it

#11 Posted by SupBatz (1775 posts) - - Show Bio

While I would definitely like to see Dini pen the game story again, there are plenty of good writers out there so hopefully Rocksteady will find one who's equally as talented at writing a good Batman story.

But this whole Silver Age business...I really do not like the sound of it.

#12 Posted by TDK_1997 (14983 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad things happen.

#13 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7891 posts) - - Show Bio

Very silly decision from above (as they often are) not over keen on the silver age angle for the series myself either purely because of the direction the first two have taken.

#14 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz said:

While I would definitely like to see Dini pen the game story again, there are plenty of good writers out there so hopefully Rocksteady will find one who's equally as talented at writing a good Batman story.

But this whole Silver Age business...I really do not like the sound of it.

This.

Dini isn't the only guy who can write a killer game story. But in saying that it does seem odd that they'd boot him off after the 2nd game in what we assume to be a trilogy.

This talk of a Silver Age game though... Lets just say I sincerely hope, for Rocksteady's sake, that it is just a rumour. I'm sure Rocksteady's Arkham City forum is being filled with horrified users and fans of the current game series though, chances are if they receive enough negative feedback on their own forum about the very rumour of such a game being made they simply won't bother with it (at least I hope so anyway).

#15 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat: It's almost universally accepted at this point that a Silver Age "prequel" for the next Arkham would be the most moronic idea Rocksteady could approve of.

#16 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

Why DC WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We Gave you everything we even let you Reboot with a new 52 and you take away an Amazing writer WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 Posted by War Killer (20337 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything I've been hearing about this game, from it being rumored to be a Silver Age prequel, to the Justice League appearing, and now this...I'm really worried for this game. Which is a shame really seeing as the first two games were amazing...

#18 Posted by entropy_aegis (15453 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Paul Dini, who has written both Arkham Asylum and City as well as the critically acclaimed Batman: The Animated Series has confirmed on his Twitter that he won't be returning to write the next Arkham game in the series.

Paul_Dini@Paul_Dini

Kinda hoped I'd be doing another Arkham game in London during the Olympics. Esp, as I had a good source for tx. Ah, well.

Apparently, he didn't leave on his own accord.

Dini seems a bit broken up over it as well, saying, "I wish I could, but it's not my call."

Considering the story was one of, if not the best parts of the Arkham games so far, this doesn't bode well for the series.

Thoughts?

There are better writers out there and I disagree with the story being the best part of the games,I found the story rather dull and predictable.

But still if he was kicked out then it's a shame.

#19 Posted by nickzambuto (14115 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@FadeToBlackBolt: Just like I mentioned before, the Silver Age reboot would be a moronic choice and would prove fruitless. I wouldn't even begin to imagine the confusion it would cause.

Rumors say it's a prequel not a reboot.

#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Hey, that's your opinion, but I thought Dini made the characters and the story mesh together quite well, especially in Arkham City.

#21 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: Regardless of the title, it'd still cause mass confusion and be an idiotic choice on their part. They've created a massive fan-base not only for us comic book fans, but for casual gamers alike. Cutting off the story abruptly and jumping into a bland time period doesn't sound that exciting to me.

#22 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

who cares?

#23 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@nickzambuto: Regardless of the title, it'd still cause mass confusion and be an idiotic choice on their part. They've created a massive fan-base not only for us comic book fans, but for casual gamers alike. Cutting off the story abruptly and jumping into a bland time period doesn't sound that exciting to me.

Exactly.

They can't just leave the story as it is right now and say "sorry guys we want to do a prequel game instead of taking the logical route and finishing the trilogy".

Also, if they do a prequel game it means they have to use the Joker, Hamill has said he isn't going to voice Joker anymore and in my opinion it'd be daft to get anyone else in to do the job for a prequel game.

#24 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29509 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh oh.

#25 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat said:

They can't just leave the story as it is right now and say "sorry guys we want to do a prequel game instead of taking the logical route and finishing the trilogy".

What damn trilogy?

Seriously, what is this unspoken rule that any mildly successful franchize must be a trilogy these days? Looking at the games, they clearly haven't planned for there to be any trilogy to finish. There are barely any threads left unresolved by the end of City, and both games are almost completely self-contained, plot-wise. There's nothing left to finish. If they're gona make a new game, they'll have to build the plot up from scratch, and at that point it makes about as much sense to make a prequel as it does to make a straight sequel.

#26 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29509 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@LuigiBat said:

What damn trilogy?

Seriously, what is this unspoken rule that any mildly successful franchize must be a trilogy these days? Looking at the games, they clearly haven't planned for there to be any trilogy to finish. There are barely any threads left unresolved by the end of City, and both games are almost completely self-contained, plot-wise. There's nothing left to finish. If they're gona make a new game, they'll have to build the plot up from scratch, and at that point it makes about as much sense to make a prequel as it does to make a straight sequel.

Hush going to Gotham.

Azreal's warning.

Scarecrow's radio message, testing facility and order form inside with unknown goal.

#27 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: That's why I said barely. Honestly, none of them are more than teasers. You could expand upon them, but they're far too short vague to be stories that warrant expansion.

#28 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

Why oh why oh why

#29 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

...Write a Superman game please :D

#30 Posted by nickzambuto (14115 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Exactly.

Also, if they do a prequel game it means they have to use the Joker, Hamill has said he isn't going to voice Joker anymore and in my opinion it'd be daft to get anyone else in to do the job for a prequel game.

Trilogy? What trilogy? I was under the impression Arkham City wrapped up all loose ends? Hell Arkham Asylum wrapped up all loose ends; AC just added new ones, then wrapped them up. There's no where left to go after Arkham City, everything is resolved, besides the Harley pregnancy thing, and that's more of an easter egg than anything.

#31 Posted by entropy_aegis (15453 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@entropy_aegis: Hey, that's your opinion, but I thought Dini made the characters and the story mesh together quite well, especially in Arkham City.

All I really saw story wise was the same old stuff from the comics,but fortunately I dont look for storytelling in a video game.I wanted a great Batman experience in game play and I happened to get that and more,so no biggie.

#32 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat: Oh, give it up already with Joker. We've had him for two straight games in a row. Batman has a massive rogue's gallery, almost all of which are capable of leading off as the title villain.

#33 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

What damn trilogy?

Except abandoning the current atmosphere and world they've built through the past two games? It's idiotic to throw that all away when they clearly left clues for a potential continuation with several new villains. I never stated that it should ever be considered a trilogy, but it'd be nice if they closed off this last piece of the puzzle or story arc to put it to rest.

#34 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Except abandoning the current atmosphere and world they've built through the past two games? It's idiotic to throw that all away when they clearly left clues for a potential continuation with several new villains. I never stated that it should ever be considered a trilogy, but it'd be nice if they closed off this last piece of the puzzle or story arc to put it to rest.

I never said you said it should be a trilogy though. :D

For what it's worth, I agree with you, I think shifting the tone of the series is a stupid move and I would much rather have another dark and noir batman game than Brave and the Bold: The video game. But from a story point of view? You'll ned a new setting, new main villain, new evil plot, new everything, so you might as well chuck the damn thing in the past and paint a big smiley face over the sun anway. There is no overarching plot in these games that would warrant a third game to continue/finish the story. There are some stingers, but they really aren't that important.

#35 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Damn it, you stole my thoughts! After reading the OP, I was literally just going to post that. XD

#36 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@InnerVenom123: That's why I said barely. Honestly, none of them are more than teasers. You could expand upon them, but they're far too short vague to be stories that warrant expansion.

The same could be said of the Warden's secret room in Arkham Asylum though. I'll admit that certain things are simply easter eggs and nothing more, e.g the Harley Quinn pregnancy test (later proven to be false in the DLC), but for me there are way too many things in Arkham City which point to a sequel.

As for why I suggested that there would be a trilogy? The majority of games these days will either have a one-shot storyline that is dealt with in one game with absolutely no loose ends or potential for real expansion or they will contain a story which is explored over 3 games. Pretty much everyone makes trilogies now, I'd be very surprised if Rocksteady don't plan on doing the same with the Arkhamverse. At this point if the prequel rumours are true then it's highly possible that Rocksteady are waiting for the next generation of consoles to be launched before releasing a sequel to Arkham City, potentially with the idea of using this new title as a launch title for the new consoles.

@LuigiBat: Oh, give it up already with Joker. We've had him for two straight games in a row. Batman has a massive rogue's gallery, almost all of which are capable of leading off as the title villain.

I agree that we should see other villains getting the spotlight in the Arkhamverse, I'd like nothing more than for them to use someone other than Joker. The only reason I say that they have to use Joker is because they are supposedly making a prequel to the games already released, meaning it has to link in to the story of those games. A prequel to AA & AC without Joker would be like a prequel to Lord of The Rings that didn't mention the ring of power or characters like Gandalf or Gollum, it would effectively just function as a standalone story in the same universe but with no real worthwhile links to the other stories.

#37 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know who's fault this is, all I know is that the streets shall run red with their blood

#38 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat said:

The same could be said of the Warden's secret room in Arkham Asylum though. I'll admit that certain things are simply easter eggs and nothing more, e.g the Harley Quinn pregnancy test (later proven to be false in the DLC), but for me there are way too many things in Arkham City which point to a sequel.

Yes, the very same thing could be said, and there was nothing in the story warranting a sequel. Arkham Asylum started and ended all of its relevant plot threads, and thhen Arkham City did the same thing. There is barely anything pointing to a sequel. Hell, InnerVenom listed all the unresolved plot threads in a previous post, and none of them actually have any story behind them that needs to be finished. They're just teasers that we would like to see expanded upon, but don't really care.

@LuigiBat said:

As for why I suggested that there would be a trilogy? The majority of games these days will either have a one-shot storyline that is dealt with in one game with absolutely no loose ends or potential for real expansion or they will contain a story which is explored over 3 games. Pretty much everyone makes trilogies now, I'd be very surprised if Rocksteady don't plan on doing the same with the Arkhamverse. At this point if the prequel rumours are true then it's highly possible that Rocksteady are waiting for the next generation of consoles to be launched before releasing a sequel to Arkham City, potentially with the idea of using this new title as a launch title for the new consoles.

And again, this is your problem. There is no overarching story to be explored over three games. There are no major villains that escape to fight again, there are no vague councils pulling threads, there are no Reapers invading the Galaxy, there are no templars hunting for ancient tech, there is nothing. Both games are entirely self-contained and couldn't care less if a sequel came after them or not. So yes, in a time when everyone makes trilogies, Rocksteady did the unthinkable and decided on making one game at the time.

Besides that, this kind of thinking really annoys me. There is no law that says someone must make trilogies. 'Everyone is doing it now' is not, and has never been a good reason to make, let alone demand a game.

#39 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then mate.

Personally I think those unresolved plot threads already mentioned are more than enough evidence that Rocksteady are, at the very least, leaving the door open for a sequel. What's more is that the series has thus far been a great money spinner for Rocksteady, and I don't think its gotten to the point where they are flogging a dead horse either. Why ditch such a great money maker at this stage?

#40 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat: Thing is. those are completely different issues. They left a door open for the sequel. Agreed, but they didn't chain themselves with it, like, for example, Bioware does. LIkewise, it is a cash cow, and , like I said above, I would much rather have another game like than a SA prequel. Those things aren' an issue. All I said is that, story-wise, a prequel makes as much sense as continuing the show.

#41 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom:

In all honesty the idea of a prequel in itself isn't that bad, I'm sure they could do a great job of it with or without Paul Dini. The main issue I, and a lot of people, have with it is that it might be a Silver Age orientated sequel. I really enjoyed the Brave and The Bold cartoon series but I wouldn't want to see a game set in that kind of vein, particularly when it's meant to be a prequel to two games which had a very dark and serious tone to them.

#42 Edited by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat: We agree there.

EDIT: Except on Brave and the Bold. I don't care for that show one bit.

#43 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@Deranged Midget said:

I never said you said it should be a trilogy though. :D

For what it's worth, I agree with you, I think shifting the tone of the series is a stupid move and I would much rather have another dark and noir batman game than Brave and the Bold: The video game. But from a story point of view? You'll ned a new setting, new main villain, new evil plot, new everything, so you might as well chuck the damn thing in the past and paint a big smiley face over the sun anway. There is no overarching plot in these games that would warrant a third game to continue/finish the story. There are some stingers, but they really aren't that important.

A level headed person! I'm glad we could come to terms :)

See now that's where I'm worried. One of the main reasons they want to switch into the Silver Age is to oddly introduce the Justice League. Why can't they possibly due that with the universe they've currently established? And to be blunt, the Arkham games have worked fantastically because they've alienated all the insanely powerful leaguers and kept it street level. You want Batman teaming up with the Justice League? Go play LEGO Batman 2.

#44 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

DAMMMIT!

#45 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

There are plenty of other writers who can write good batman stories.

#46 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly? It's probably not worth playing. Dini was the heart and soul of the previous games.

#47 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Harley's positive pregnancy test left the game open for a Batman Beyond game IMO.

#48 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

Harley's positive pregnancy test left the game open for a Batman Beyond game IMO.

Have you played Harley Quinn's revenge? The add on closes that loose end.

#49 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Honestly? It's probably not worth playing. Dini was the heart and soul of the previous games.

That is truly my stand-point on the issue. Dini isn't the best writer when regarding to Batman but he understands him so much that it flows perfectly.

#50 Edited by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess we will not find out what Azrael was talking about

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.