Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Opinions on Zero Year

Hoplite91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm thinking I'll start it soon. I'm wondering what all you fine people think about it.
    (I'm new and the search function wouldn't work, sorry if this is a rethread.)

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's very good of you're not a Miller acolyte. The story is building up a certain A-list villain whilst using characters from the original Detective stories in a new light. Snyder's stories are very wordy as usual, and that's what makes the story great. What makes the stories super awesome is Capullo. The visuals are outstanding and the emotions of 7-year old Bruce leading up to the moment Batman is born are powerful. Anyone passing because of their devotion to Year One is missing out on (IMO) the best Snyder and New 52 Bat-story yet.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its ok but Year One is still better

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Breadspread

Starts out fun, then gets dull.

Hopefully it'll get good again before it ends.

I3IO_HAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By I3IO_HAZARD

This might be an unpopular opinion buy what evs

Zero Year>Court of Owls>>>Death of the Family

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

issue 29 was good but everything else was crap imo

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Year one was a lot better. But zero year is still amazing and has amazing art to boot. Issue 29 was the best issue and one of the best issues in the entire batman series. I didn't like the first part of zero year as much. Red hood was boring and generic. Putting riddler in the spotlight was much better and zero year just keeps getting better and better

nateb1211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nateb1211

Its not bad, but for me it just feels like its dragging on and can't wait for it to end.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I wish that it happened at the BEGINNING of the New 52, see his origins like Morrison did with Action Comics. But otherwise, I love it.

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@i3io_hazard: not saying much, death of was a mess and court is ridiculously overrated. The few zero issues I've read have been pretty decent though

Hoplite91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hoplite91

@the_stegman said:

I wish that it happened at the BEGINNING of the New 52, see his origins like Morrison did with Action Comics. But otherwise, I love it.

The new 52 timeline is such a disaster that it's almost not even worth trying to work out. I can't even fathom Court happening 7 years after the origin story.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@hoplite91: Well, technically the Court did happen 7 years after it, I'm just saying, I would have put Zero Year first instead of backtracking and doing an origins now, lol.

Hoplite91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:
    I guess I just have a hard time letting go of Long Halloween/Dark Victory, Knightfall, No Man's Land and all that stuff that takes up so much time. I wish they had spread out the history a little bit.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman:

I guess I just have a hard time letting go of Long Halloween/Dark Victory, Knightfall, No Man's Land and all that stuff that takes up so much time. I wish they had spread out the history a little bit.

Has No Man's Land happened? I mean, I know Knightfall has, and maybe LH/DV since Calender Man exists.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Shaping up to be one of the best Batman stories of all time. Issue #24 was my favorite, and its origin of Batman's archenemy was fantastic.

I don't think many people share my opinion, but I don't care. Lol.

Hoplite91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I know Knightfall has happened, but I've never heard one way or the other on the others. It's just hard to believe that all those arcs happened in less than ten years. That and all the Robins being trained.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By entropy_aegis

It's better than the rest of Snyder's work on the Batman title.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Very boring. It's going over the same how Bruce became Batman and his relationships with Alfred and Commissioner Gordon. I read some of it and it wasn't terrible. It just felt like it happened before. I don't really like these past stories anyway since from month to month there is no excitement seeing that we know the character will be fine. The art is great and I love that they are pushing the Riddler more and the Red Hood gang was interesting. I just don't like the stories in the main Batman book are stuck in the past for what looks like its gonna be over a year. Having past stories is great every once and while, but not for a whole year. Anyway I think it would be more interesting if we also got to see the start of Robin.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CheeseSticks

It made me hate the Joker because of this new crap origin. Joker was made of a tragic character in the Killing Joke. Making him a crime leader before the accident is just dumb. He's no more different than the Pengouin or Black Mask now.

You could feel the good in the Joker before the accident in the Killing Joke origin. The New 52 isn't really doing justice to the character. Zero Year made him lost his charm and DotF made his face simply ridiculous.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: totally agree, except I don't need to see another Robin origin either.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I read a few issues before I gave up, now im waiting for it to be over. It was just kinda dull.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Lvenger

Its ok but Year One is still better

Seconded. It's gotten better as Snyder went into the actual Batman storytelling but it's far from the perfection of good origin stories like Year One. As much **** as I give Millar, he concisely and expertly told a Batman story in 4 gloriously written issues and Snyder's long term Zero Year origin is wearing a bit thin now.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starts out fun, then gets dull.

Hopefully it'll get good again before it ends.

This is how I feel. I enjoyed the Reed Hood arc but now it's just meh. Snyder makes these arcs way too long and they just fizz out.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@breadspread: I think it would be more interesting if they threw in Robin since the Bruce and Dick relationship is bit different in New 52. I think doing a past storylines of the time Batman spent with all the Robins since barely know those histories yet would be interesting.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Nothing special.The story has it's moments but it's nothing near as good as Year One.I think Snyder made a big mistake by making this story arc 12 issues long.

Avatar image for alwaysthebigspoon
    AlwaysTheBigSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm enjoying it a lot. It's just that every new issue that comes out, I forgot what happened the previous few issues. Not that I'm complaining because I get to read the previous stuff again. Like most of Snyder's stuff, it reads better in trades. However, Court of Owl fit the monthly release because of the mystery-esque of the story. Such a great build up.

I feel that there's not enough space for the last four issues of the last arc of Zero Year. I feel that we'll be paying a little bit more for page increases. It just feels that Savage City needs to be a huge epic on it's own.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.