Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

One thing I do not like about Batman

Avatar image for jjdajetplane223
    jjdajetplane223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jjdajetplane223

I was reading about that dolphin slaughter story in Japan today, and my mind started to wander about Batman. I wondered what Batman would do if a group of environmental extremists were to break into seaworld with the intent on freeing Shamoo and other captive sea animals.

And the truth is, Batman would probably stop them because they are breaking the law. Even though Batman breaks the law himself for the exact reason that these environmental activists would be.

In that way he is like Superman, naively thinking that he can be the only one who is responsible enough to break the law for the greater good. Which is fine if the activists are hurting other people or hurting the animals that they are trying to free, like if they are a bunch of idiots who don't know what they are doing.

But even if they were an extremely organized and well trained vigilante team that didn't hurt others, he would stop them and send them to jail while the animals continued to suffer just because they are breaking a stupid law.

I'm not an activist but this story disturbs me. People think they should stay in captivity since they haven't been raised in the wild and they will not survive. In my opinion, they're wild animals and they will adjust better than we think. And besides, they'd rather die in captivity than be locked up and alive.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

I get you,but what's the question exacly?!

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Pokeysteve

You're assuming an awful lot about captive animals. Especially the Seaword ones. There are zero dangers in captivity where every day in the wild is a struggle to get food and to not be food.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt batman would care and dont you think its silly to get so upset because of what a fictional character may or may not do in the real world?

jjdajetplane223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Question is, do you think Batman would interfere with an environmental extremists team trying to free captive animals?

@pokeysteve You're obviously misinformed. Watch the documentary "Blackfish" and tell me what you think after watching that.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@punyparker: Question is, do you think Batman would interfere with an environmental extremists team trying to free captive animals?

Ah!
    He would if it was in any kind,hurting or threaten people......like Catwoman,she's an extremist,and he never did anything to her,in any of her attempts to free captive animals,but he did when she was indangering peoples' lives.

jjdajetplane223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I'm upset because of the real life story which you can read about here http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/19/world/asia/japan-dolphin-hunt/

The Batman part is just an interesting discussion I'm not too worked up about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjdajetplane223: Oh OK, understood. And I agree with your feelings on the real life story

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By danhimself

You're assuming an awful lot about captive animals. Especially the Seaword ones. There are zero dangers in captivity where every day in the wild is a struggle to get food and to not be food.

yeah you need to watch Blackfish.....

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes batman would stop these environmentalists but to see the problem you just have to look at the villian Anarky they both of certain things they believe in but the problem is like Anarky they are not only breaking the law but they are forcing their own morality on to people. The differance between the environmentalists and batman being that while Batman does break the law he onlt does so to stop criminals not peopl who "he" sees as criminals but people the "law" eyes as criminals.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So are you saying you don't like Batman because he is a defender of the status quo?

jjdajetplane223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: I love Batman but yeah, he has a stick up his ass sometimes. Wonder what his opinion would be on marijuana.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjdajetplane223: One of the core parts of Batman is choice so while he would never use it he wouldnt care if it was made legal

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By tupiaz

@jjdajetplane223: Don't think Batman really cares about environmental problems. He cares for Gotham, people want world dominance (like League of Assassins) and aliens trying to conquer earth (JLA).

Even if you had a prison system that was safe and could lock up all the good guys it would still be a prison.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By Pokeysteve

@tupiaz said:
    @pokeysteve said:

Even if you had a prison system that was safe and could lock up all the good guys it would still be a prison.

Not really the same thing.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@tupiaz said:
    @pokeysteve said:

Not really the same thing.

Jep. It is creatures hold in captivity. The only difference being that the animal hasn't done anything wrong other than existing and maybe being hunted by poachers.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Transformers1024

Wait, what?

Mediocregeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What exactly is your strain of logic here? It's not like Batman has ever had a story where he went and fought environmental extremists trying to free a whale from Sea World. It's not likely he'll ever have a story like that.

Are you really being bothered by hypothetical situations for a fictional character?

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jayc1324 said:

I doubt batman would care and dont you think its silly to get so upset because of what a fictional character may or may not do in the real world?

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

are you talking about why you don't like about him in a situation like this or are you asking what we don't like about him?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.