Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Okay, so how powerful is Batman really?

• 80 results
    Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Aahz

Sorry, double post.

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
    Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: lol if I ever read a comic where Batman CATCHES BULLETS I think I'd have to put it down, close it, and walk away.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophisticated_ignorance: He did that at least once, it's on the batman feats blog. Not so ridiculous with all the other stuff going on in the comic world to me.

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
    Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: Catching Bullets is well beyond what Batman should be capable of, peak human capabilities be damned, a peak human still shouldn't be able to do that, thats a speedster feat, or someone whose reflexes are higher than Spidermans.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: Catching Bullets is well beyond what Batman should be capable of, peak human capabilities be damned, a peak human still shouldn't be able to do that, thats a speedster feat, or someone whose reflexes are higher than Spidermans.

Yeah, I agree. But then, no human could do many of the things Batman can do. Not sure why catching a bullet is any worse than supporting 2000 pounds on his back and then sprinting faster than the fastest sprinter...

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..some of Batman's feats are way beyond peak human. Maybe time to come clean and just say he took a serum or something, like Cap America did.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've gathered, batman is omnipotent.

But really, I don't think they planned for him to be realistic, I mean then he'd just be another street leveller. One thing I like about batman was that he was always at least knowledgeable with everything and he was good with prep and knowing his enemies, so stuff like bullet catching and 2000 lb bench pressing is actually kinda cool

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@entropy_aegis: 8-10 guys? so he can lift tons?

His max leg press was 2500 in Batman:Oddessy # 2. When he was shoving a stuck railroad car using his legs. Its one of his high end showings and he did struggle to do it.

From what I've gathered, batman is omnipotent.

But really, I don't think they planned for him to be realistic, I mean then he'd just be another street leveller. One thing I like about batman was that he was always at least knowledgeable with everything and he was good with prep and knowing his enemies, so stuff like bullet catching and 2000 lb bench pressing is actually kinda cool

He's not omnipotent, he is just peak human.

The writers never planned for Batman or any other hero for the matter to be realistic. They just planned for him to be human character that can pull off great feat's that's all.

@rpgesus said:

low street level

I wouldn't say he's low level street, considering the gadgets, skill, intellect, and resources he has.

He's not breaking the street level to mid-ton range Spidey does, but he's not low level.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Are there post like this in the Cap board?

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By NeonGameWave

Depending on the writer he could be considered superhuman but generally he is peak human with potential his intellect coupled with his gadgetry, experiences, and strengths make him a force to be reckoned with it all depends on the character who is opposing him at the time they also decide how powerful, dangerous and inhuman he will be.

Superman: Batman is the most dangerous man on the planet.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

as powerful as the writers want him to be

Albert1Alvera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Human peak.

Or better say, as powerfull as the writer want him to be.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The new human peak is New God.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is BATMAN

SO it depends on the fans...

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Alexander505

Strong as 10 or more guys in fit. More fast, durable and agile than a olympic athlete. Reflexes good enough to dodging bullets and arrows. Powerful enough to break a tree or a motorcycle in two pieces. Great martial artist, better than Bane, Azrael, Deathstroke, Ra's al Ghul and Bronze Tiger. Smart enough to be the new Metron. Enough advanced technology to built an armor able to fight the JL.

Korbenheagerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Korbenheagerty

actually the human body can go as high as 3,000 lbs on a person who doesn't do regular fitness training,its just that you aren't supposed to because it would damage your body, what if batman was just barely tapping into his abilities, pushing himself into the danger zone but no further.

also, an article for the dodging bullets thing, not quite the same thing but similar.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, the peak human strength is near to 1 tons level, and that would explain a lot of feats. So, here the weights that Bats could lift (my opinion) for each exercise.

Bench press 2206 lbs

Standing military press 2106 lbs

Deadlift 2548 lbs

Squat 2459 lbs

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By azza04

This thread is craaazy lol. Peak human is such a weird and completely undefined term that it's meaningless. People of different sizes and athletic abilities have different peaks, and to stay at peak levels requires hours of training and then hours of sleeping everyday for recovery. Bruce must have been born with some pretty amazing genes way above those of NFL and Olympic athletes. And Bruce, if he's about 6' 1 and 200 lb, benching 1000 lb....that's some B.S. Even pressing half of that, the chance of sustaining a serious injury doing so are really high.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Alexander505

Yes, peak human is a undefined term, but in all fiction universes there are human capable of impossible thing but still humans in their universe. I think about the universe of Samurai Jake. He can do insanely stuff, but he's a human in his universe. In the DCU, Batman and characters like him can reach a sort of metahuman states without any enhancement by chemical stuff. In DC it is normal, but in another fiction universe is impossible and insane be like Batman and at the same time be human.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f
    deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butros: Cap is only perfect physically. Batman is perfect in every sense of the word. Cap is impressive, but Batman is at least Superman level. Why you may ask? Well, he's kicked his ass several times.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophisticated_ignorance: The truth is Batman does stuff like that all the time. Catches bullet in mid air, dodges thousands of bullets, dodges omega beams, switches a mans drink in the literal blink of an eye, kicks through buzzooka proof glass, fights the League of Assassins for five days straight with food or water, survived the vacuum of space for 27 seconds, sneaked around Superman and Martian Manhunter, broken in and out of Area 51 and 2 without anyone realizing, took a blow from Superman and immediately got up, deactivated two sentry guns before they had a chance for fire, and lastly, got out of a nailed down coffin, that was buried six feet under, in a straight jacket, deprived of sleep for days, poisend with joker venom and a cocktail. These are most of his best feats. Batman being human is no longer something to be taken seriously, the guy is a straight up meta!

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegodamnbatman: damn. Yea I mean it's cus he's messin around with the absurd gods of D.C. Comics. He is our human metahuman. He's batman he can do the impossible it's no more believable to me than aliens lifting 100 tons. It's a comic

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#76  Edited By Eto

Did someone just say "Batman is Superman level"

Lol, come on now.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that the current Batman is more powerful than ever, in the last fight against Bane*(on Venom), he was able to defeat him despite he was injured.

*The same Bane which was able to defeat Grundy and Amygdala at the same time.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InvincibleDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a theory. Working on my Phd in Comic Book Studies (kids can waste money on english and sociology degrees so why not). I came up with a few Laws of the Justice League to finally and completely explain the confusion on this topic. These laws are just like gravity and indisputable in the DC Universe. To explain how powerful Batman is you must look at the following:

Law 1: DC forces Batman to always win: Laws of Reality will change such that Batman maintains this status quo. (Batman can lose momentarily such that to aid in writing a story but he will always ultimately triumph). Batman's win power is directly proportional to the strength of the character he is facing. Facing superpowers some how give him more equal footing than when facing regular costumed goons. He will still win against the later, but it will take longer or is more involved somehow.

Law 3: DC doesn't have to fully explain any Law in DC comics.

Law 1 works in mysterious ways. This helps to explain the magical idea of never failing "batman prep time", as some things you just can't prep for. The gods (writers) of DC favor Batman so much we never see what happens in prep time to make him win. Some macguffin always appears to make him win. Or he knows it already. Or he made it already. And it was already in his infinite space utility belt ready to go. Never breaks or doesn't work the first time. These skills and talents appear more often when a greater threat is present. (The world at large would be happier if Batman just devoted his life to curing cancer, famine and other major problems but I digress.) Law 1 stops Superman but finally ending the problem of Calendar Man leaves Batman befuddled for a time. Wealth is not a barrier not the science not being developed yet. "Off Screen" always just happens to Batman's favor.

So for Batman's "power" it is really dependent on whom he is facing. There is no hard line because the Laws of the DC universe force him to win and they don't have to explain why so well. Reality itself bends such that Batman has to win. He needs more strength, it appears, more skill he had it already. Planned for it before hand and the flow of time seamlessly changes such that its effects are unnoticeable.

He won because he mastered over 200+ martial arts in a few years. Not good enough? He is genius level in every field known to man while also training in every martial art. Didn't involve education? Ok, Batman human peak physical strength is different than everyone else's limit of peak human strength, and he is the best in all of physical things a regular human can do. Still not good enough? It was in his tool belt. No? How about he planed for this already. He didn't? Oh he actually just now prepped for it. What did he do to make it happen? We don't know or care, it just happened that way.

Batman is Omega level based on this one rule.

Think of like Longshot's power or Domino's related to luck. Or Q from Star Trek. Only you don't see the finger snap and the flash. Everything changes around Batman so it works. He wins. Period. I don't even think he knows he has this ability.

Sucks but that is the only explanation I can come up with that adheres to the impossible Batman can do.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strength - Can lift over 1000 pounds.

Speed/Reflexes - Can dodge bullets.

Durability - Can take punches from Superman level characters.

Stamina - Can fight for several days straight.

Endurance - Can break most of his bones and still fight

Intelligence - Able to outsmart DC's best minds all the time.

Stop calling Batman's feats PIS! Batman shows that he is capable of such things on a regular basis.

Anaioyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Anaioyu

Can break trees in half if thats what you are asking.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.