Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23621 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Off My Mind: What Happens to Batman's Batarangs?

• 111 results
    nszerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By nszerdy

Hahaha---this is like the best story ever!   :)

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#102  Edited By Jedted

Maybe each batarang has a mini-detonator which causes it to self-destruct if left unattended for too long.

Avatar image for captainobsessive
    CaptainObsessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Durakken, you seem to know an astounding amount about Batman and I have a question thats been bugging me for about a year now. His Batlines.

How does he throw them and does he collect them? Would he ever find that he runs out of them in the middle of pursuit and how do they winch him up half the time and just break off from the mechanisum the rest of the time? Also, how does he fire them form a small hand held device and still manage to reload them or does he have dozens of individual lines.

I know it sounds stupid, but its really bugged me for a while now how he uses it or even wraps it around people or things by throwing it. I remember in Under the Red Hood (the film) theres a sort of grapple thats fired  and has a motor in it that pulls them up and then zips back in like the line in Arkham Asylum but in basically every picture of him on a rope its just the end of the rope or with the tip embedded in something which doesnt seem to make much snese.

I'd be deleriously happy if anyone can explain to me about his ropes and I'd love to discuss it or something. yes I understand that the rope is one of the least interesting parts of his character but still, I'm kinda sad like that...

bma2192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By bma2192

Adam West actually covered this in the original tv show, if I remember right... they had a truck go around the city to pick up this sort of stuff.  It was cheesy, but he was picking up after himself. 

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By Durakken
    @CaptainObsessive

As far as the lines he uses and loses they are collected by the police and either added to an evidence vault or given back to Batman via Gordon. This is assumed via the fact that they established this happening in his early years in several issues talking about those years.

The common use line he uses to swing from building to building is the hand held grapple line that has a retractable line and is fired with explosives of some sort. The bat family generally carries a few of these. There have been multiple times Robin III mention he's run out of lines. Nightwing is happy to have it implanted in his gauntlet and if i remember right carries 2 kinds and 6 lines each.  This denotes an improvement over what he was carrying which could mean better than Batman uses. Also it should be noted that the gapple gun has a few lines prepped so it is likely that as one line is retracting another can be shot out.

I would think that the art is just stylistic and not a true representation of what Batman would look like... especially when talking about mechanical design. For example, the Cowl is obviously has a framework that is solid, but often times you see it as just clothe and ripped off yet you never see the frame work.

Does he lose lines? yes.
    How does he fire them? Grapple Gun or attached to batarang as weight to be tossed at a criminal or object so that it wraps around them
    How is the Grapple reloaded? Self reloading retractable line that likely uses a air compression explosive that is self refilled/loaded upon retraction.
    The break off mechanism? they have only ever shown that when he or rather one of the other family has a line problem. They breakoff and fire a second line or they have a way of connecting multiple lines.
    Does he have multiple lines? Yes multiple grapple guns each with multiple lines.

much of this is assumption based on what has been shown via the member of the batfamily and not batman himself. It is assumed that since all their gear is his and he's the one teaching them then it is likely that they use the same gear and the reason we hear from them is they are changing it or are messing up with it.

It should also be very clear i'm talking modern age Batman post during Tim Drake's period as Robin. I can not speak previous to that because they used different methodologies and technologies.

Also it should be noted that he likely hardly ever loses a line because they are dangerous to use on criminals, Any mishaps he likely would collect to see what went wrong, and there are very few that wouldn't fit in that category where they wouldn't be would be utterly destroyed or collected by police.
    darknight100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By darknight100

Actually Batman brings up this issue up during the Hush story line
    Deadpool666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Deadpool666
    @Billy Batson said:

Batman just calls Clark or The Flash to pick 'em up...

That... that makes a lot of sense actually...
    nobodythere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108  Edited By nobodythere

They are found and sold online as mementos. Or sold in stores around Gotham. Long time ago now, when Norm Breyfogle was doing Detective he would, now and again, pepper shots of Batman memorabilia being sold in the backgrounds. Batman always wears gloves when he uses them and I am willing ti suspend my belief that no one has ever been able to lift anything to trace him from them. Otherwise why would he use them?

SigersonLTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By SigersonLTD

It would seem you have a lot of time on your hands, if you're thinking about stuff like this. I remember back in the sixties there was a whole Batman Annual dedicated to stories about The Batarang, what became of them. I believe this territory has been sufficiently covered, however, I'm sure we'll get some story in the DCnU that will cover this as well.

I don't believe he hasn't covered this contingency in some respect, and I'm pretty sure that he really only carries one or two at a time, and uses them only if the need arises. You stating that finding Batarangs takes away from crime fighting time is a straw man, as he would consider keeping his identity a secret as you state, a part of that process.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By bigcimmerian

He doesn't collect them, in Batman 2 new 52 it is said that Bruce's dna and all dna's from batfamily are protected.

GamerGeek360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111  Edited By GamerGeek360

Alfred picks them all up. No one will question an old dude running around Gotham picking up a bunch of Batarangs. What, will they think he's the real Batman?

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#112  Edited By RedOwl_1

@GamerGeek360 said:

Alfred picks them all up. No one will question an old dude running around Gotham picking up a bunch of Batarangs. What, will they think he's the real Batman?

LOL poor Alfred but I always have thought they were like boomerangs that had some system that made they return to bats in some way or other

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.