Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23619 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Off My Mind: What Happens if Batman Loses His Confidence?

• 65 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Batman has always been known as one of the greatest superheroes around. This is a remarkable feat considering Batman doesn't have any superpowers. Besides training his body over the years since his parents' death in multiple fighting styles, Batman is known for more than just a fighter. Batman is the World's Greatest Detective. He is one of the greatest fighters and also has one of the greatest minds.

Batman is able to solve any problem. He can defeat any opponent due to the fact that he does have all the answers. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of both superheroes and supervillains. He has several villains that are of a more psychological threat and Batman has been able to defeat them time and time again.

No Caption Provided

Batman isn't overconfident but there's no way he doesn't know how skilled he is. That's how he is able to face off against super-powered villains without blinking his eyes. But what if Batman didn't have all the answers? What if he was in the middle of a big case and got things wrong?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

For as great of a mind Batman has, you have to admit it's not necessarily the most stable one around. Batman is obsessed with fighting crime. He goes out in the night dressed as a giant bat. He doesn't have superpowers but sometimes relies on high tech gadgets. He employs children he feels are properly trained to fight along side him. But he is the best there is at what he does. He prides himself on being the best.

No one can always be right or always be able to solve the mystery. If a situation came up and Batman was unable to figure things out, it could have a big affect on him. Everything Batman does relies on his skills. If you take away his ability to solve the problem that comes up in any situation, Batman will be in a weakened state.

An example would be if all of a sudden Superman wasn't able to fly. Most of his fighting style revolves around flight. He zips around and can fly wherever he needs to go. He would still have his other abilities. We've seen him walk around in the recent Grounded storyline (and in television's SMALLVILLE) but losing that ability, or his super strength would take some getting used to. It could mean fatally losing a battle.

No Caption Provided

Batman isn't full of pride or one to gloat. He simply knows what he can do and does it to his full extent. He jumps into action without needing to think because he already has the answers to any scenario worked out. But has Batman taken into consideration a scenario where he is stumped?

No Caption Provided

We have seen Batman fail before. Death in the Family is one of the biggest downfalls for Batman. He was unable to prevent Jason Todd from running off in search of him mother. He was unaware until the last moment that it was a trap that would cause Jason's death. That had a big impact on him. Obviously there were things beyond his control. He couldn't keep Jason locked up or prevent him from running off. But if he had been a little quicker, things could have ended differently.

If anything, Batman is quick to adapt to any given situation. Even getting his back injured by Bane or getting killed by Darkseid couldn't put a stop to Batman. If Batman lost his confidence, he would have to compensate for it. It wouldn't be put an end to his career. Finding out that he was wrong would only make him work harder. Batman is one that would learn from his mistakes.

No Caption Provided

Batman has always been slightly arrogant when dealing with his fellow superheroes. He has every right to be since he's proven how skilled at everything he can be. The idea of Batman losing his confidence would be hard to grasp. We all know Batman is the ultimate hero. But seeing him mess up will be a reminder that he is indeed human. He's more human than most of his colleagues. Being over-confident is Batman's only real weakness. To make him an even better hero, he needs to face this flaw and overcome it. Once Batman realizes it's possible he might not have all the answers or that he could be wrong about something, he will become an even better hero.

CanucksXVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CanucksXVX

how much better can he get? i think he already knows he doesnt have all the answers, it shows in alot of his stories but none the less, good article

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jubilee042

if he did lose it the gotham would turn into underland

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Fantasgasmic

Batman can't lose his confidence. Superman is, at his core, about by a god's  overwhelming humanity. Batman is, at his core, about a man's overwhelming determination. That's why he's the World's Greatest Detective, why he can stand up to all the superpowered gods and aliens and metahumans and make them listen to him. I know tv shows aren't canon, but that's why each of these rings so true to the character. 

soap on a rope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By soap on a rope

hmm... 'what if a hero who relies on his instincts and wits lost his instincts and wits?' ...um, well, he'd be useless and probably wouldn't be a very good super hero any more.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eyz

I love that "HAS ANYONE SEEN THE JOKER??" panel XD
    Love it so much!
    It's EPIC! XD

Batman with self-confidence troubles? Count me out :/
    His ability to plan for every contingency is part of the character!

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Or35ti

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. 

A moment that reminded me that Batman was still human happened in the pages of Infinite Crisis when Batman goes on the verge of a nervous breakdown right before Kal-L comes to visit him. What he does every day would put anyone through a lot of stress and I'm glad to know he's not some inexhaustible crime-fighting machine, and he feels that stress too.

Enerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Enerjak

I think that's part of his charm.  It's what makes the character so unique, the guy is a freaking master mind and when you're a human and a primary member of a team along side the Flash, Superman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman, it goes a long way. 

Ridge111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ridge111

An even better question would be what would happen if Batman lost his conscience, his moral compass?
    I'd really like to see that happen, just have Batman completely lose it and go insane...

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iLLituracy

Lose confidence? 

LOL. 

Please.

Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Planewalker

He'd be useless no longer to be able to function as Batman

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By entropy_aegis

This was answered in Knightfall and No Mans Land.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By RainEffect

Bruce Wayne is the type of person who has no room for mistakes, so when one does occur, it hammers him immensely. He takes ridiculous precautions to ensure it doesn't happen again, and this is his most strengthening personality trait. Why else would he so fearlessly stand his ground against beings who far, far outmatch him in sheer power?

FalcomAdol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FalcomAdol

What if Tony only had to do off-your-mind columns about indy comics for an entire week?

Avatar image for top_flight_security
    Top Flight Security

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wasn't his overconfidence shown (or paranoia) in the OMAC story line? 

MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrGutts

@FalcomAdol said:

What if Tony only had to do off-your-mind columns about indy comics for an entire week?

Or bring the videos back!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997
    @entropy_aegis said:
    cocoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cocoy

In 52, and in Batman RIP, it was already written in that Bats entered Thogal to take out fear and doubt in his mind.  Unless that isn't in scripture anymore with the new 52.  Even if it wasn't, because of who he is, Bats would find a similar path to banish fear and doubt in his mind? 

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#18  Edited By GothamRed

What would happen if he lost his confidence, my guess is a lot of moping, which you know, makes for great stories, right?  Yeah, I'd rather not think to deeply on it

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @entropy_aegis said:
    Still more topical than the Ms Marvel's pregnancy one.  

@iLLituracy said:
    Lose confidence?  LOL.  Please.
    Give Illy a medal. 
    Avatar image for kitsuneconundrum
    kitsuneconundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kitsuneconundrum

we all die, thats whats gonna happen!

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By xkoenig

Well, if you go back and read Knightfall from the 90s you will see he lost his confidence there and was outwitted by the bad guys to the point where Bane came and broke his back. How's that? You want him to do that again?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gmanfromheck

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:
    Still more topical than the Ms Marvel's pregnancy one.

@iLLituracy said:
    Lose confidence? LOL. Please.
    Give Illy a medal.

Have you guys listened to the Scotty Snyder podcast?

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @G-Man: Nope, and please don't tell me that this is what might happen. I may cry. 
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @iLLituracy said:
    Lose confidence?  LOL.  Please.
    This^
    Avatar image for thegoddambatman
    TheGoddamBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheGoddamBatman

I'm surprised no one's mentioned "The Cult". Batman's mind and willpower gets completely destroyed by this crazy cult leader who brainwashes him into joining his cult and taking over Gotham. When Jason Todd helps Batman escape he's a total wreck and runs away from Gotham, leaving it in the hands of the cult. Eventually he gets his shit together and saves the day but the point is that he has lost his confidence before and when he did he couldn't function properly anymore.

Pauldro952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26  Edited By Pauldro952

Batman can't lose his confidence, there is too much on the line for him to start second guessing himself.  If he did lose confidence, then he wasted 8 years of his life learning different ways of crime fighting.  Bruce can't be like I'm not good as I think because then someone else dies.  That's why if he doesn't get to the bottom of someone's plans people will die.  There is a part in Batman 701 or 702, where Superman calls Batman up to Investigate the death of Orion.  Batman says oh those superhumans don't understand I am only human.  He can't give in.  He knew he was screwed when he faced Darkseid, so he at least maimed Darkseid. 

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @TheGoddamBatman said:
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned "The Cult". Batman's mind and willpower gets completely destroyed by this crazy cult leader who brainwashes him into joining his cult and taking over Gotham. When Jason Todd helps Batman escape he's a total wreck and runs away from Gotham, leaving it in the hands of the cult. Eventually he gets his shit together and saves the day but the point is that he has lost his confidence before and when he did he couldn't function properly anymore.
    It's Jim Starlin. Jim Starlin stories don't count, because they're always terrible, and/or completely derivative. 
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gmanfromheck

@FadeToBlackBolt: I think the new motto in the Bat-office should be "In Scott Snyder we trust." We have an in depth Batman interview with him coming up as well. Wait until you hear what he has planned. His Batman is the book I'm most excited for in the relaunch.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @G-Man: I've nothing against Snyder, I'm sure he's more than competent, but if his first Bat story is Bruce losing confidence, I may have to rage-self-mutilate. I'll still read it though. It's Bruce Wayne after all. 
    Migz13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Migz13

I think it's kinda unlikely for The Dark Knight Detective to lose confidence completely. 
    The guy is a ROCK, and he has back up plans for EVERYTHING!!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Batman losing his confidence is a sure sign that the end is near if he did.  He's just too important to take a fall when he is so needed by others.  For him to lose his confidence is a sure sign that evil not only is winning but has won already. Very much a Final Crisis kind of message...not that he had lost his confidence in that fight with Darkseid though.  Great stuff!

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GrimoireMyst

The way I see Batman is like he's the opposite side of the coin to Joker in terms of sanity like most but then I also see him as the opposite of Lex Luthor who is also a human but isn't spoiled, thinks he's above others, as well as being on the other end of human morality scale. Ultimate human determination suits Batman just fine.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CATPANEXE

I took the physical breaking of Bruces back by Bane as a metaphorical version of his confidence being shattered as well, albeit temporary and the result the fallout from that.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By JonesDeini

Nope, but the writers sure as hell do...

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @TDK_1997 said:
    @entropy_aegis said:
    Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

#37  Edited By Durakken

It's always amazingly stunning how ignorant people can be about a mind set that they once had and should still have if they've had a proper education but were indoctrinated out of. 

Batman is a skeptic. He doesn't believe anything that there isn't proof for and even when there is proof for it more proof would make him reassess his stances and change his position accordingly. He's not Arrogant. He knows what he knows and knows that even if what he knows is wrong then he will be all the better for learning that and taking that into his next action.  

Batman does 2 things. 1) Asks questions and takes into consideration what he knows and the answers that he is given. 2) Takes into consideration every possibility he can imagine even if it is in the realm of improbable. With those 2 things anyone could do what he does. 

The question "what does Batman do when he loses his confidence" is dumb because the only thing batman is confidence of is the scientific method which is hard to lose confidence in as it has yet to fail anyone.

The question "what does Batman do when he doesn't know the answers" is equally ridiculous as that is Batman's whole premise. What does a detective or scientist or skeptic do when confronted with any mystery? They ask questions and work with what they find out.

Avatar image for degradingcarnage001
    DegradingCarnage001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just imagine if he lost his confidence while driving the BatMobile.
    kaiserg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kaiserg

Didn't this already happened to him? when he fought Bane and got his back broken? he lost confidence due to being exhausted and all, if ever this happens again then it may well result into his death? just a thought....

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By xkoenig
    @kaiserg said:
    Didn't this already happened to him? when he fought Bane and got his back broken? he lost confidence due to being exhausted and all, if ever this happens again then it may well result into his death? just a thought....
    Is no-one able to read my post? I said the exact same thing.... lol :)
    satanmode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By satanmode

a better question is What happens if he gets a pony for Christmas?

kaiserg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kaiserg
    @xkoenig said:

@kaiserg said:

Is no-one able to read my post? I said the exact same thing.... lol :)
    Nope didn't had time to check all of the post. But it's good to know we had the same idea. Lolz!

And another thing didn't this also happened in Batman RIP story arc lost confidence he ended up brainwashed or something? really not sure anymore since i need to verify this with my collection.
    Avatar image for the_velvet_rabbit
    The Velvet Rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Durakken said:
    It's always amazingly stunning how ignorant people can be about a mind set that they once had and should still have if they've had a proper education but were indoctrinated out of.  Batman is a skeptic. He doesn't believe anything that there isn't proof for and even when there is proof for it more proof would make him reassess his stances and change his position accordingly. He's not Arrogant. He knows what he knows and knows that even if what he knows is wrong then he will be all the better for learning that and taking that into his next action.   Batman does 2 things. 1) Asks questions and takes into consideration what he knows and the answers that he is given. 2) Takes into consideration every possibility he can imagine even if it is in the realm of improbable. With those 2 things anyone could do what he does.  The question "what does Batman do when he loses his confidence" is dumb because the only thing batman is confidence of is the scientific method which is hard to lose confidence in as it has yet to fail anyone. The question "what does Batman do when he doesn't know the answers" is equally ridiculous as that is Batman's whole premise. What does a detective or scientist or skeptic do when confronted with any mystery? They ask questions and work with what they find out.
    actually, this has been one thing I never liked about Batman - he always has the answers.   you can imagine the work he had to put in to actually get to those conclusions, but you rarely actually see any of the real process anymore.   then again, outside of the usual PIS, I'd wager there are quite a few detectives in the DCU who could actually run circles around Batman - I don't really think the term 'World's Greatest Detective' applies to him anymore, and probably hasn't for quite some time.   I guess it's sort of like how Reed Richards is with inventing, though - writers probably think the barebones dirty work would bore a lot of readers.   honestly, though, this is my problem with Batman as a Modern Age character - as far as DC goes, Batman is supposed to be the very definition of peak human.   as one man fighting a tireless war in a city that's basically New York without the charm, the unfortunate fact is that he's bound to lose from time-to-time, and it's only naturally that this would have an effect on his psyche in the long run.   when he fails, it could cost himself - or worse, somebody else - their lives.   look at the NML story arc (or Knightfall) - if everything went horribly wrong, and Batman just went back to the drawing board and everything just ended up being business as usual, it wouldn't be a very interesting read.   your idea that a character with infallible logic should be infallible is interesting, but flawed.   and as for the argument that Batman isn't arrogant, that depends on who's writing him - for somebody who's supposed to be one of the world's smartest men, his character usually ends up being woefully stubborn about matters.   that's why I like the Detective Comics-style Batman more than the JLA-style Batman - it allows to keep some of that intelligence of the character without him just being wrapped up in mythos and plot-induced stupidity (think less Bane, more Prometheus).
    MastaKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MastaKilla
    @CanucksXVX: agreed.  batman has been in many situations where his planning wasn't enough or where his physical endurance was taxed to it's limits. it's the fact that batman knows both is strengths and weaknesses that make him such a formidable opponent.
    Avatar image for the_velvet_rabbit
    The Velvet Rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@satanmode said:
    a better question is What happens if he gets a pony for Christmas?
    it's always possible - heck, Batman could be a closet Brony    ;P
    MastaKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MastaKilla

I have to say, the article kind of insinuates that being wrong and losing confidence are one in the same. i don't think that is the case, particularly with batman. he has been wrong on many occasions yet it didn't undermine the confidence he has in his abilities. we have seen bruce have moments of introspection and self doubt yet, when he applies abit of ye' old critical thinking and logic, he is able to overcome. these aspects of the character are what make him stand out from the crowd and the fact that he knows his limitations  is actually a strength. many super powered heroes routinely bite off more than they can chew because of the sense of invincibility and infallibility that super powers instill within a given individual.

batman's meticulous planning, knowledge of what he can and cannot do and his years of intense training allow him to come out on top more than most.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The Devil Tiger

If Batman lose his confidence, he will fake being absolutely confident, trap the bad guy, and regain it this way.
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Trodorne

Batman is a control freak, confidence has nothing to do with it. if he is in a team he needs to know everything so he can take control. Know the villains weakness so he can take control of the situation. Its harder for him to plan against magic or mental because its not a physical thing in which he is able to grasp fully.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By SpidermanWins

He'd fail alot...

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    thephantomstranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zur-En-Arr persona would take over and start effin people up...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.