Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Off my mind: Christopher Nolan's choice of villains

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By vandinejd_1991

With the ending of the Christopher Nolan Batman series coming soon I just wanted to reflect on something that I've been thinking about as I've looked back at his previous two movies and look forward to the last of his Batman films. I think that we can all agree that Christopher Nolan's representation of Batman in his films have been the best in the history of the character. But just as important if not more so as his portrayal of Batman are the portrayal of his villains. Out of the hundreds of villains that he could have picked from Batman rogues gallery he picked six major villains for his films (unless you really want to add the mob, the Arkham inmates including Zsasz, and the League of Assassins to that list): Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow (Batman Begins), Joker and Two-Face (The Dark Knight), and Bane and Catwoman (The Dark Knight Rises). Why these six specifically well here is my theory to that:

1) These six villains are Batman's most significant enemies in their own ways:

Ra's al Ghul: Because of his mission to rid the world of 90% of its population in order to heal the Earth, Ra's al Ghul is clealy Batman's most dangerous enemy. Add to the fact that Ra's al Ghul has lived for hundreds of years already and could easily live hundreds Ra's al Ghul could easily live to see a day where there is no Batman, Superman, or Justice League to get in his way which means someday somehow Ra's al Ghul could see his dream realized. In fact Batman considers Ra's so dangerous that he says that Ra's "makes the Joker seem like a minor annoyance" (Detective Comics 700).

Scarecrow: Scarecrow is the only villain who can make Batman relive the most horrible events of his past like the death of his parents (Batman: The Animated Series "Dreams in Darkness" and Batman: Arkham Asylum video game) or the death of Jason Todd (Batman 496) as well as make his worst fears seem real.

Joker: The Joker is simply the Batman's greatest enemy. No one has caused more hurt for the Batman and his allies than the Joker. He alone has caused the deaths of Jason Todd, Sarah Essen Gordon and if you include other portrayals of the Joker the death of Batman's parents and the death of Rachel Dawes, the torture of Tim Drake to create Joker Jr. (Batman Beyond), the crippling of Barbara Gordon, and the disfiguration of Harvey Dent.

Two-Face: Harvey Dent was once Batman's best friend, but thanks to Maroni he is now one of Batman's greatest foes.

Bane: Bane is Batman's greatest physical threat. He was the only villains to singlehandedly defeat Batman in hand-to-hand combat and to seriously injure Batman in a fight through the breaking of his spine. And I'm sure if Bane tried hard to he could do it again if not worse.

Catwoman: Besides Talia, Catwoman would be a woman who would cause a great divide in his heart. Batman is greatly in love with Catwoman but at the same time Catwoman is a thief (or at least used to be) and Batman cant condone her behavior.

2) These six villains are the more realistic of Batman's villains

Ra's al Ghul is simply another Adolf Hitler only worse. Like Hitler Ra's wants to make the world a better place by making ruling it and therefore Ra's has to get rid of those that would get in his way which in this would be 90% of the Earth's population.

While I don't know of any real life case of this happening I'm sure it's plausible for some psychologist to go crazy and kill people, or for someone to use their victim's fears to kill them- There is another fictional killer similar to Scarecrow in the third season episode of Criminal Minds called "Scared to Death." The killer's name is Stanley Howard and he was a pretend psychologist who pretended to be treating people of their worst fears by getting them to face their fears during which time he would kill them. For example, Stanley drowned a person scared of water, suffocating a claustrophobe, and nearly killing someone who was scared of being buried alive before he was stopped.

I also don't know of any real life psycho murdering clowns like the Joker, there are people who are sadistic meaning that they get pleasure from harming or even killing others.

There are many cases of schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder similar to what Two-Face suffers.

Cat burglars like Catwoman are generally the more common kind of criminal.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By vandinejd_1991

and while there may not be a steroid as strong as Bane's venom there are steroids out there that many athletes use to make their game better. Don't know of any real life criminals on roid rages though.

kadosho_16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kadosho_16bit

I don't mind at all the villain roster in Nolan's "Batman" saga. Honestly I don't really want to see it end. But all things must wrap up somehow. Its tough, because its opened up a unique way of storytelling it never received before.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By entropy_aegis

Simple

Ra's al Ghul=MOST DANGEROUS BATVILLAIN

Joker=GREATEST BATVILLAIN

Bane=ULTIMATE BATVILLAIN

I don't see Selina as a villain and while I enjoyed Nolan's portrayals I simply could'nt care less about Harvey and Crane.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Joelislegend

I doubt Catwoman will be much of a villain in the new movies. From the previews anyways she looks like she'll be the comic book Catwoman we know. Bane is gonna kick ass!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.