Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Off My Mind: Can Batman End Crime in Gotham City?

• 92 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    We all know the tragic origin of Batman. Young Bruce Wayne witnessed the mugging and murder of his parents at a young age. On that day he swore an oath to rid Gotham City of the evil that took his parents' lives. As he trained for the next eighteen years, he finally found the symbol of a bat to strike fear and terror since "criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot."

Everyone knows that Gotham City is under the protection of Batman. Criminals do fear him. With some thanks to Commissioner Gordon, some of the corruption has been eliminated. Surprisingly, there is still quite a bit of criminal activity that goes on. Since Batman's arrival, it seems more high profile crimes have occurred with new costumed criminals popping up all the time.

Can Batman ever rid Gotham of crime? What would Batman do if he ever did finally clean up Gotham? What if the criminals finally gave up and understood that Batman will always be there to stop their evil plans? 
     == TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    After that tragic day, Bruce Wayne has been determined to end crime. Despite sometimes getting distracted with the Justice League, his focus has been on his city. Criminals may be a "superstitious cowardly lot" but what if one day they got smart and decided to stay away from Gotham? What would Batman do if he fulfilled his promise to his parents? 

Having been so affected by a violent act, I don't see Batman simply retiring once Gotham became the safest place on Earth. Could Bruce Wayne try to live a normal life or would he move his mission to nearby cities? I imagine that Batman must have a tough time each day. By keeping Gotham safe, he knows that criminal activity is most likely going on in another city. This is why I feel he does sometimes hang out in the Justice League Watchtower, fighting the bigger superhero battles.

In all the future stories we see that Gotham is still overrun with crime. It almost makes you question what effectiveness Batman has. Batman usually has all the bases covered so why are all the bat-villains still hanging out in Gotham? Why does Batman allow criminals to go to Arkham Asylum knowing that they'll escape in no time? Perhaps a part of Batman doesn't want his fight against evil to end. If he could build something like Brother EYE, you would think he could build something to deal with crime on a local level.

With Batman Beyond now being integrated into the Bat-universe, it doesn't look like Batman will be ending crime in Gotham any time soon. Perhaps the question should be, does Batman want crime to end? He has been so focused on fighting evil, it could be the only thing he knows to do. If he wasn't protecting the streets of Gotham, Batman might not know what else to do.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

it actually only seems to get worse in Gotham, His whole plan pretty much seems to fail
    BrianDusel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BrianDusel

If a guy like Superman can't keep Metropolis clean, then there is no chance for someone like Batman.  Can he make a dent? Clearly, but his battle is more of a never ending battle than Superman's. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5eb002c4cfd0e
    deactivated-5eb002c4cfd0e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

i agree..gotham only seems to be getting worse...any chance of batman getting more sidekicks ? 

there should be a one-shot comic where we see andy kubert and frank quitely with grant morrison writing about batman, robin, red robin, batgirl etc all together
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Well if Batman did end crime in his city, I guess he would continue to other cities. But, doesn't Batman Beyond not count since it is an entirely different universe?

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By Comiclove5
    @SUPER-MAN 23 said:
    "Well if Batman did end crime in his city, I guess he would continue to other cities. But, doesn't Batman Beyond not count since it is an entirely different universe? "

Nope read Batman #700 he is in DCU zero.
    Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Midnightist

Of course Bruce can't end crime no one can end crime anywhere without doing some totalitarian type things such as brainwashing or robot guards with high standard on crime, but Batman is a symbol passed down from generation to generation as we've seen. I don't think Bruce Wayne sees himself as man but a man with a symbol and that symbol may just one day end all of crime in gotham 

wallymonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wallymonster

Fox News would surely accuse Batman of causing crime in Gotham..all those supervillains and their elaborate schemes that are implemented on the citizens of Gotham just to lure Batman into a trap.   

Batman is really fighting against the dark side of human nature. Thats not something that can be defeated, only kept at bay. 

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Comiclove5

I very much believe a Batman can end crime in Gotham, but I doubt it will be Bruce. 
    Personally I think it will be Terry since the next Batman was like a couple of hundreds of years in the future. But will Batman end crime in Gotham City permenatly I doubt it. Crime will end in gotham, but the sad thing is most of the Batman probably won't get to see it.    
    Braxxis7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Braxxis7
    @wallymonster:
    i completly agree
    luckynitro007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By luckynitro007

Jason Todd would end crime in Gotham.
    mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mbembet

that is why Batman beyond sucks

ballsnbayonets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By ballsnbayonets

first pic looks like black panther

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By doordoor123

Batman can never get rid of crime. There are high profile villians like Hush, Joker, etc that have reasons to be "batman's villains" and they keep coming back. These new villians are popping up because these villians still exist. And there ARE villains that are in Gotham that arent from Gotham. There is a lot in Gotham for villains. Even if Batman is there.
    And if he wasnt in Gotham he would be elsewhere.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

Crime can never be put to an end. No matter how hard you try, there's always gonna be that one person who loves to sit back and watch the world burn. Nobody, not even Batman, could actually stop all the crime in a heavily populated city like Gotham. He's done a good job saving the city, sure, but the villains just keep on resurfacing. 

dan1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dan1509

thing is, there's two types of the crime in Gotham, you got the crime which is the criminals for their own purposes (money, power etc) and then u have the crime where its to kill or ruin the batman, and no matter what happens, those two will still be there

Mizu_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mizu_pl

Gotham is cursed city. The crime in it is like a disease without cure. Batman can only make this not so deadly. Even Judge Dredd couldn't stop crime in Mega City.

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icemizer

Batman has no chance of ending crime in Gotham. In fact Batman probably makes the criminals work harder and get better at their profession just becaue he exists. Even if he targeted a specific type of crime he would fail.  Bruce Wayne could probably do more to reduce crime than the Batman. Backing serious socially responsible candidates for office, tearing down slums and other depressed areas and then rebuilding them, improving the school systems, creating more jobs in the communites. All of these things would slow down crime over a broader area of society than Batman could ever do by beating up a mugger in an alley.
    logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By logan48227

Batman can't end crime in Gotham City without making it a police state under martial law.

Avatar image for freddy_mercurial
    Freddy.Mercurial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Freddy.Mercurial
    @Icemizer: 
    "Bruce Wayne could probably do more to reduce crime than the Batman. Backing serious socially responsible candidates for office, tearing down slums and other depressed areas and then rebuilding them, improving the school systems, creating more jobs in the communites. All of these things would slow down crime over a broader area of society than Batman could ever do by beating up a mugger in an alley."

& THIS is what I believe Bruce Wayne's new role could be!  Well, besides the whole "backing serious socially responsible candidates for office" bit, since the election process is a sham anyways...  Hell, maybe he could run for office himself...  Either or, this could be the key...  & it would allow Dick to keep the mantle a little longer...  Nice observation!
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By NightFang3

To sum it up in one would....  "NO"

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DEGRAAF

this batman stopped all crime in Gotham until he went crazy during Superman/Batman #53-56
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#22  Edited By MTHarman

With human suffering, selfishness, and ignorance. There's no such thing as world without crime. To end crime is to end all rules.

Batman is like the criminals he puts away in a way, within a phsycological look, Batman has fully dedicated himself to a never-ending quest to overcome crime within Gotham, despite the fullblown fact that he knows they'll escape again once placed into Arkham, and that its a never ending war.

spiderpigbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By spiderpigbart

He will not.  I think that Maroni explained it best in the Dark Knght, saying: "They're wise to your act.  You have rules."   However, I think that if Batman killed, he could.

satanmode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By satanmode

What would we read if he did?

growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By growup
    @NightFang said:
    " To sum it up in one would....  "NO" "
    hahahahahaahahahahahaha what this guy said
    ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By ninjadude853

if there was no crime in gotham, there would be no batman comics

brendon277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By brendon277
    @ninjadude853: Exactly
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Freddy.Mercurial said:
    " @Icemizer:  "Bruce Wayne could probably do more to reduce crime than the Batman. Backing serious socially responsible candidates for office, tearing down slums and other depressed areas and then rebuilding them, improving the school systems, creating more jobs in the communites. All of these things would slow down crime over a broader area of society than Batman could ever do by beating up a mugger in an alley."  & THIS is what I believe Bruce Wayne's new role could be!  Well, besides the whole "backing serious socially responsible candidates for office" bit, since the election process is a sham anyways...  Hell, maybe he could run for office himself...  Either or, this could be the key...  & it would allow Dick to keep the mantle a little longer...  Nice observation! "

this is what i have been thinking he should do for a while now, I think when Lex Luthor ran for president, Bruce Wayne and Oliver Queen should have ran too, they would have been just as good of canidates as Lex.
    Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Golden Cod

I like how everyone's ignoring the fact that humans are inherently fallible and assuming that crime is something that can be cured like a disease.   Crime is a social issue, not a muscle issue.

As long as we continue to have babies and as long as crime pays, there will be crime.   It's as simple as that.

Roninidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Roninidas

I don't think Crime can ever be stopped.  However, I do believe Batman helps the situation as opposed to create it.  What would Gotham be like without Batman?  I imagine it would be a city overwhelmed with Grief and Desperation, a total Dog Eat Dog world where only the strong and corrupt survive. 

goatman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By goatman2112

Wasn't Earth 2  Bruce Mayor of Gotham after retiring from Batman? There was still crime but he could now work more to make Gotham better

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Magian

No, I don't think he can. I actually believe that he attracts crime. If you think of it, almost all of the supervillains in Gotham City, first appeared after Batman.
    Avatar image for roteirozeapneia
    Roteirozeapneia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Roteirozeapneia

I believe that in a real context Batman is the kinf of crimefighter who "allows" some criminals to control the city. See it: he knows that he can't end all the crime and in a moment he broke one of them another arise to take the place and sometimes this second one is worst than the last. In that way, the Cape Crusader prefers some villains who can be easily controled (maybe drug dealers who sells to rich people, politicians, russian gun sellers, whatever) and forces his actions to contain the great criminals (drug producers, assassins, reapers, serial killers, Arkhan mad men etc).

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

#34  Edited By Duo_forbidden

Unless he was willing to kill, no. These criminals love to feel pain. They're masochists lol.

nick7913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nick7913

I think it has been well established that the only way to end Batman's career is having him die in the line of duty. Batman will never stop. He'll just keep going until he drops.

TheBatman586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheBatman586

Logically, Batman would be able to eliminate most of the crime in Gotham, if you consider all of the tech he has. He could rebuild Brother Eye , but this time modified so that it can't go out of control. Then, he has some OMACs (or Bat-themed robots) patrol the city and keep an eye out for crime.  
    Also, I find the whole Batman Beyond thing somewhat unnecessary. If Bruce Wayne really wants to, he could continue being Batman forever, since he's already built a Lazarus Pit in the Batcave from copying the formula.

blaakmawf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blaakmawf

Does anybody want a happy batman?

moffattbooks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By moffattbooks1

no criminals will always be around, the crimes would changes, the methods would change...never ending battle
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Joe Venom

If batman did clean up Gotham it still wouldn't be clean enough for him he would for focus his time on petty crimes like people who litter or jaywalkers. By doing so he would inadvertently create new lamer villains such "The Jaywalker!" No crosswalk is too safe from The JayWalker! (evil laugh)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#40  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @blaakmawf said:
    " Does anybody want a happy batman? "

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Pizawle

No. It is all a game to many of these villains. Gotham and the superhero universe's in general have an existence in which there are too many variables and conflicting ideals. There will never be peace.

And there is no point in the heroes abandoning their ways now because the villains would not stop. Batman and all other heroes duty is to continue to protect. 

Plus, even if Batman killed everyone, there would always be more new filth seeping in. Just like in our world, where the police even if they really wanted and tried could never completely stop crime. There will always be more.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

#42  Edited By MrMazz

No then everything would be boring and we would have no batman would we really wana see bruce or dick sitin around drinking coffee and watch alfred do laundry?

Cpt. Quor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cpt. Quor

Well no, because then they wouldn't have any stories to tell in the comics...

I've missed the point of this haven't I.

roxamilli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By roxamilli
    @luckynitro007 said:
    "Jason Todd would end crime in Gotham. "

heck yeah he would!
    llagrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By llagrok

Yes, yes he can. 

The comic industry drives forth new stories beyond reason, such is its nature. Realistically, Batman would have no problem improving Arkham's technology and then locking up every single criminal.

Cpt. Quor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cpt. Quor
    @roxamilli said:
    " @luckynitro007 said:
    "Jason Todd would end crime in Gotham. "
    heck yeah he would! "
    Jack Bauer would end crime in Gotham, on his own, using only his trusty 9mm, even with the whole of CTU trying to arrest him.
    Terrific_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By Terrific_T
    @wallymonster said:
      Batman is really fighting against the dark side of human nature. Thats not something that can be defeated, only kept at bay.  "
    Yeah, that's how I see it. Batman will never end crime in Gotham city and I think he knows that, but I don't think that's the point. I think the point is that he tries and that he tries hard because if he didn't things could be a lot worse. I think that's why he fights crime.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Surely Batman would have to confront the causes of crime not just the crime to effectively end it.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49  Edited By leokearon

The main problem is that if Batman got rid of all crime in would have to stay as Bruce Wayne and get a real job, which would drive him insane

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

If there is no hope in Crime Alley, why don't they just section that area off. Also, blow up Arkham Asylum

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.